Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2023, 21:49   #12046
BHPian

Re: How safe are emails and apps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Quick answers:

1. People can hack into mobile phones and Windows computers.
Thank you.
I watch scammer videos and see some people hacking into scam centres and even watching them on camera. Can this be done to any network? Won't the firewall block you?
Will you be able to hack into my mobile phone app and computer if I give you my login details?

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2023 at 22:14. Reason: Typo
Old 16th October 2023, 23:31   #12047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I watch scammer videos and see some people hacking into scam centres and even watching them on camera. Can this be done to any network?
Not exactly sure what you want to ask here, but most of the "hacking" shown in movies/TV is just deus ex machina.

I recently saw a web series in which a murderer is traced using the origin IP address of an email they wrote, said tracing done by a university IT technician. First of all no service provider exposes end users' IP addresses in the manner depicted in the show due to privacy concerns, and secondly it is highly unlikely a random technician could have access to the customer database of any broadband ISP to say that a given IP address is assigned to a specific office.

Quote:
Won't the firewall block you?
Firewalls block what you tell them to block. If you don't know what to block firewalls might not be that much of a help.

Quote:
Will you be able to hack into my mobile phone app and computer if I give you my login details?
Nope. Not unless I have access to Pegasus or something similar. In 2023 I will almost always require your (unknowing, maybe) assistance to access your phone/computer. Your corporate admin having access is accounted under "unknowing assistance".
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 23:38   #12048
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Lately I have been thinking about privacy issues in emails and apps.
Can people hack into apps in mobile phones and Windows computers? How safe are they?
At work we use apps for communication. Can the administration monitor the messages?
Not sure about work emails, but for personal emails - check your email is compromised or not using this website - https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Coming to workplace admin monitoring messages - if they want they get to see the message payload if needed.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th October 2023 at 07:35. Reason: Capitalising.
HTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 22:26   #12049
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Any one plus Nord 3 5G user here? I have bought this phone during amazon GIF sale and have been using it for casual browsing,OTT,calls etc. The performance is good but battery backup is pathetic. It doesn't even last a single day with the above mentioned usage. Screen On time is approx 4 to 4.5 hrs with all tips and tricks of battery preservation. Is this normal for 5000 mah battery or something is wrong with my device. I am using the 16gb ram version. My 3 years old Redmi phone gives better battery back up than this.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 11:02   #12050
BHPian

- Posting in this thread for wider visibility.

Hi, I am looking to pick up the Galaxy A54 for my wife. She's currently using the Galaxy A31 which is showing its age and more importantly has some touchscreen issues at select areas on the screen (probably due to a fall).

She isn't quite into gadgets and stuff and hence not quite a fan of the high-end / flagship phones. A mid-ranger should probably be just fine IMHO.

Usage is basic - Phone calls, Whatsapp, YT, Insta, General photography, etc.

The only 'decent' upgrade looks to be the A54 given that it's retailing at 38k for the 8gb+256gb variant. I shall try to exchange the current phone which should fetch around 6k maybe and some card discounts, cumulatively bringing the price down to ~ 30K which seems okay? This offer is from the official Samsung website. Amazon / Flipkart don't offer anything better though.

So, just want to understand how's the A54 in general since I'm sure many folks must be using here. Any specific pros / cons that you'll can point out? Also, is there any other phone that I should probably consider in this segment / budget?
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:42   #12051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post

Hi, I am looking to pick up the Galaxy A54 for my wife.
She isn't quite into gadgets and stuff and hence not quite a fan of the high-end / flagship phones. A mid-ranger should probably be just fine IMHO.

The only 'decent' upgrade looks to be the A54 given that it's retailing at 38k for the 8gb+256gb variant.
Any specific pros / cons that you'll can point out? Also, is there any other phone that I should probably consider in this segment / budget?

Cons:
Exynos Processor.
Virtual Proximity Sensor (I don't know Samsung is doing this, one drop may disable the sensor and it makes a pain to use the phone during calls).

Alternative :

A73 5G.
8GB, 256GB was available for around 33k in Croma.
Snapdragon Processor.
Physical Proximity Sensor.
Bigger screen size.
NG_EV is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 05:47   #12052
BHPian

Quote:
- Also, is there any other phone that I should probably consider in this segment / budget?
I recently got the S21fe 5g (snapdragon 888/256gb/8Gb ram) for my wife and at 33k or so, and this one other phone you can check out. Compared to the a54, this one I think is lighter. But I think a54 has better camera specs than the s21fe. If camera is of utmost importance then a54 is the way to go. Else, S21fe 5g. If going for s21fe, there are both versions in the market (Exynos and Snapdragon). I have generally heard battery life issues with Exynos - so you may want to avoid Exynos. Although they are getting better with every iteration.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 00:22   #12053
BHPian

Quote:

The only 'decent' upgrade looks to be the A54 given that it's retailing at 38k for the 8gb+256gb variant. I shall try to exchange the current phone which should fetch around 6k maybe and some card discounts, cumulatively bringing the price down to ~ 30K which seems okay? This offer is from the official Samsung website. Amazon / Flipkart don't offer anything better though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I recently got the S21fe 5g (snapdragon 888/256gb/8Gb ram) for my wife and at 33k or so, and this one other phone you can check out.
Agree with deep_bang on considering S21 FE 5G. Reasons being:
- S21 FE 5G has a snapdragon processor which is slightly better than exynos
- S21 FE 5G has IP 68 versus IP 67 on A54 (if that matters)
- S21 FE 5G has a telephoto camera versus a macro on A54 (personal preference)
- S21 FE 5G has reverse wireless charging and DEX, if these matter

A54 wins in terms of OS updates, it will go till Android 17 whereas S21 FE 5G will probably go till 16 (since original S21 FE launched at 12 in 2022).

Checked the prices just now and on Samsung corporate website am seeing S21 FE 5G @ 33,319 / - and A54 5G @ 34,223 /- (has 2K off on HDFC & ICICI credit card). Both are 8GB / 256 GB variants.

Do look at S21 FE 5G as well before you make a final decision.

Cheers,
S
sukhoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 15:13   #12054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
Any one plus Nord 3 5G user here? I have bought this phone during amazon GIF sale and have been using it for casual browsing,OTT,calls etc. The performance is good but battery backup is pathetic. It doesn't even last a single day with the above mentioned usage. Screen On time is approx 4 to 4.5 hrs with all tips and tricks of battery preservation. Is this normal for 5000 mah battery or something is wrong with my device. I am using the 16gb ram version. My 3 years old Redmi phone gives better battery back up than this.
I am planning to buy this phone soon, however reading about your battery experience and the fact that this phone comes with a Dimensity 9000 is stopping me. This a new processor and I don't wish to be a tester.

For the battery issue, I think there was a software update.

Are you using two 5G sim cards in the device?

The next closest phone which I am considering is the One Plus 11r. But again the SD 8 Gen 1 is believed to have heating issues.

Any other worthy phone which you have researched before your purchase in the price bracket of 30k to 40k?
Old 7th November 2023, 18:18   #12055
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I am looking to pick up the Galaxy A54 for my wife. She's currently using the Galaxy A31 which is showing its age and more importantly has some touchscreen issues at select areas on the screen (probably due to a fall).

So, just want to understand how's the A54 in general since I'm sure many folks must be using here. Any specific pros / cons that you'll can point out? Also, is there any other phone that I should probably consider in this segment / budget?
My wife has an A54. It used to be mine temporarily but considering my usage I upgraded to S23 ultra and gave the A54 to my wife. My wife is not complaining or facing any issues. Her job demands heavy WhatsApp usage, MS office appa ( SharePoint online and Excel online). So far no issues faced by her. Photos come out pretty decent for a midranger. During my usage or my wife's usage, didn't face any heating issues though it has Exynos processor. Try checking Samsung corporate website for more offers. Corporate website sells the A54 at 34k for 256 gb with additional 2k discount and free Accidental damage protection.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 19:19   #12056
Senior - BHPian

I advise to buy the S series from preceding year than buying A series or FE edition. The S22 is available for 39,999 in flipkart. This will be much superior to A54 in most counts.

Also for some inexplicable reasons, the bezels of Samsung phones are growing year after year. My S20 screen to body ratio is better than that of even S23.
poloman is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 21:06   #12057
BHPian

Can someone please tell me where I would find the official S-Pen Nib for my S22 Ultra ? https://www.samsung.com/ph/support/m...the-s-pen-nib/ : this link says the nibs are replaceable.

I feel a little bit of lack of sensitivity in the nib of late and I want to try replacing only the nib. The entire S-Pen is itself expensive so I don't want to order a new pen.
Old 7th November 2023, 21:07   #12058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I advise to buy the S series from preceding year than buying A series or FE edition. The S22 is available for 39,999 in flipkart. This will be much superior to A54 in most counts.
Many thanks everyone for your reponses!

I think since the next-gen S series devices are just around the corner, I shall probably wait and maybe pick up the S23 then. Pretty sure the prices of S23 will drop and maybe with the Republic Day sale, etc. I might chance upon some good deal.

Though my wife isn’t very keen of cellphones, but if I happen to get a flagship specced phone for some good deal, than why not! Maybe we can retain it for longer with the software support, I hope.

On a side note, this year’s S generation phone have held their value pretty well I must say. No major price drops yet.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 7th November 2023 at 21:10.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 21:18   #12059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a side note, this year’s S generation phone have held their value pretty well I must say. No major price drops yet.
Absolutely. I was myself planning to upgrade to S23 from S20. But 74K base price pre discounts was too much. I have been using S series for almost 9 years and always buy them for sub 50K prices. S23 has held value than Iphone 14 which has never happened.

I feel S20 is better made than even S23, aesthetically. But poor battery life and an old Exynos processor are its main problems.
S23 has addressed these two main problems or Samsung flagships.
Old 7th November 2023, 21:23   #12060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I am planning to buy this phone soon, however reading about your battery experience and the fact that this phone comes with a Dimensity 9000 is stopping me. This a new processor and I don't wish to be a tester.
Yes i am using two 5G Sims.. Can this be an issue leading to battery drain?
I did get the software upgrade but nothing appreciable happened after that.
I did consider samsung s20fe but this one seemed better in specs hence went with it.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks