Asus ROG 7 vs iPhone 15 Plus / 14 Plus
Update Bought an Asus ROG 7 @ Rs. 75,000/-

Initial Impressions:
  • Out and out gaming phone with some really cool and handy customizations
  • Does not feel premium (as much) like a S23 or an IPhone at the same price
  • Heavy phone with top notch specifications and great battery & charging
  • Audio setup is one of the best in phones
  • Hardware looks robust and can long for last provided the handling is good
  • Feel overpriced, especially when you have an Ultimate at Rs. 1L. ROG 7 should have been priced at Rs. 60K and Ultimate at Rs.75K. Moreover, there are absolute 0 discounts on ROG phones even during the festive sale seasons

Last edited by VWAllstar : 18th September 2023 at 13:02.
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 12:31   #12002
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

I have been using the Google Pixel phone for years now (starting with the Pixel 3A, then moved to Pixel 6 and now on Pixel 7). Got this primarily for the astounding camera and the mind-boggling computational photography (it sucks at videos or portrait shots though). Off late, this has replaced my camera (DSLR/Mirrorless) on my treks, as every bit of weight reduced is supremely welcome. And this has never let me down. Sharing a sample pic that I took a couple of weeks back on my Kashmir Great Lakes trek. Simply put the camera on a tripod, let the astrophotography mode kick in and then let the camera do its stuff. Processed the JPEG image on Snapseed (basic editing) and this was the result.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-pxl_20230903_150321184.night201.jpeg
sachinayak is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 06:10   #12003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I have been using the Google Pixel phone for years now (starting with the Pixel 3A, then moved to Pixel 6 and now on Pixel 7). Got this primarily for the astounding camera and the mind-boggling computational photography (it sucks at videos or portrait shots though). Off late, this has replaced my camera (DSLR/Mirrorless) on my treks, as every bit of weight reduced is supremely welcome. And this has never let me down. Sharing a sample pic that I took a couple of weeks back on my Kashmir Great Lakes trek. Simply put the camera on a tripod, let the astrophotography mode kick in and then let the camera do its stuff. Processed the JPEG image on Snapseed (basic editing) and this was the result.

Attachment 2505499
Thats a stunning pic. I tried to do this on a recent trip in Nashik with my A7 IV but was not impressed with the results( which is also possible due to my lack of adequate skills). In fact my S21 Ultra gave me a better moonshot!
Old 20th September 2023, 13:34   #12004
BANNED

Planning to replace my mid range Samsung (s10 lite) phone in near future. The existing phone has served me well since last 4 years.

A new Samsung s23 with Samsung upgrade offer comes down to 50 ish. This was a nobrainer till iPhone 15 launch reduces the price of iPhone 14 and 13 which comes down to 55 and 45 respectively with exchange.
I don't game (0 games in my phone). I have utter disregard towards ecosystems with a couple of Windows laptops / Ubuntu laptop / couple of android phones / Wife' iPhone 12 and tws of different brands (non-apple and non-samsung). I have active subscriptions of both Google drive and iCloud (call me stupid, but that is what I am).
All I need a no-nonsense, trouble free and stable device for next 4 years that can shoot good photo, works with a bunch of apps in 50-60 range. To be fair, S23 shall be a seamless transition for me, but iPhone has its own snub value.

As my wife has an iPhone, I am quiet aware of the pros and cons of both Samsung and Apple as stand alone devices.

Without starting Samsung vs Apple war here, let me ask these straight questions. Do I enjoy iPhone that much without ever planning to be in any kind of ecosystem? If I choose iPhone, how much I loose with a wonderful VFM iPhone 13 at this date over a slightly less VFM iPhone 14?

Last edited by PetrolRider : 20th September 2023 at 13:36.
Old 20th September 2023, 13:45   #12005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Without starting Samsung vs Apple war here, let me ask these straight questions. Do I enjoy iPhone that much without ever planning to be in any kind of ecosystem? If I choose iPhone, how much I loose with a wonderful VFM iPhone 13 at this date over a slightly less VFM iPhone 14?
Do keep the Pixel phones in contention if you are looking for "good photos" Pixel 8 will be releasing in the 1st week of October. The image processing of pixels are unmatched. They have stock Android and good Google apps integration. The heating issue is apparently been resolved with 8 however you don't game so your battery would last longer. It can easily go 4 years or more. You will be prioritised for android updates and security patches. Not sure if it will be in 50-60k range but surely Pixel 7 pro price will drop around the range (post discounts & exchange of your S10)

Last edited by VWAllstar : 20th September 2023 at 13:47.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 14:55   #12006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to replace my mid range Samsung (s10 lite) phone in near future. The existing phone has served me well since last 4 years.

A new Samsung s23 with Samsung upgrade offer comes down to 50 ish. This was a nobrainer till iPhone 15 launch reduces the price of iPhone 14 and 13 which comes down to 55 and 45 respectively with exchange.
I don't game (0 games in my phone). I have utter disregard towards ecosystems with a couple of Windows laptops / Ubuntu laptop / couple of android phones / Wife' iPhone 12 and tws of different brands (non-apple and non-samsung). I have active subscriptions of both Google drive and iCloud (call me stupid, but that is what I am).
All I need a no-nonsense, trouble free and stable device for next 4 years that can shoot good photo, works with a bunch of apps in 50-60 range. To be fair, S23 shall be a seamless transition for me, but iPhone has its own snub value.

As my wife has an iPhone, I am quiet aware of the pros and cons of both Samsung and Apple as stand alone devices.

Between iPhone13 and 14, I don't think you lose anything by choosing the 13. I think it's pretty much the same. Even the chip is the same A15 in both the phones as far as I know. So my suggestion, go with the 13, would be value for money. Only negative is that OS upgrade will be available for 1 year less, if that is important to you.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 17:04   #12007
BHPian

Hey guys.
Thought I'd chime in with my recent purchase.
I was on the hunt for a small phone with outstanding battery life since a long time now. iOS not an option due to walled garden ecosystem. Considered Pixel series but the battery life isn't what I want it to be. I had been using a Samsung Galaxy S7 since 2017.
I bought a Sony Xperia 10 IV through my friend in the UK.
It's lovely device (if a little tall) and the battery life is phenomenal. I use maybe 20-30% charge a day.
The other perks are the 3.5mm headphone jack, dual IP65/68 certification (because Sony is Sony), and a very compact, comfortable form factor. The display is very good, too.
The lack of warranty caused hesitation but I realised that I haven't gotten my last 3-4 phones repaired at any point.
I got the phone sealed pack from eBay UK for approx
£250. Got 2 screen gaurds and body cases as well for another £20 total.
All said and done, I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by ads295 : 20th September 2023 at 17:05.
ads295 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 20:04   #12008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Do keep the Pixel phones in contention if you are looking for "good photos" Pixel 8 will be releasing in the 1st week of October.
Pixel is a good device, but with an unjustifiable cost for what it offers. Camera is no doubt very good in a pixel, but does not hold that much of an edge over S23 camera. But other compromises on pixel are quiet visible in compare to Samsung, be it an excellent Soc, better battery, dex or knox and not the least the incremental feature of One UI expecially OneUI 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Only negative is that OS upgrade will be available for 1 year less, if that is important to you.
I know I'll get bored by 4th year, looking at my track record. Should be fine I guess.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 21:59   #12009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the difference is barely 4-5k then get 14. If it's more 13 is good enough. You are already aware of iphones pros and cons.

Getting sucked into their Ecosystem isn't a given scenario. I am using iphone 13 since last September and extremely happy with it. This is still the only Apple product i use. For Laptop I still use my Dell, once it dies I may or may not get a MacBook as I am extremely happy with Dell laptops since last 14 years. For TWS I use 3 brands- Sennheiser, Soundcore, Oppo. All work quite well with iPhone. For watch I am still using my Amazfit and contend with it for now. In future I may or may not buy more Apple products depending upon need and vfm scenarios. Right now I am thinking to get 14 plus just for bigger screen and better battery.

Last edited by harry10 : 20th September 2023 at 22:01.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 00:14   #12010
BHPian

Quote:

As others have said, iPhone 13 seems like a good deal compared to 14 as there isn't much difference between the two. You can better use your 10k on accessories that you would spend on the 14.
Btw, my preferred one would be the s23. Apart from the snob value, the s23 excels in every other field. Don't forget the sweet 3x telephoto and the 120hz display it has
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 11:15   #12011
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If the difference is barely 4-5k then get 14. If it's more 13 is good enough. You are already aware of iphones pros and cons.
At this moment, difference is in the range of 10K. Let me wait till the BBD, if I can get something out of it. I normally desist buying high value electronics from Flipkart, but I want to see the counter offer from other larger players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Getting sucked into their Ecosystem isn't a given scenario.
Agreed, that no one putting a gun on my head to use an ecosystem. That is exactly my question, how much experience I am going to loose if I be the rebel I want to be by not being pulled into the system. Simple example, I never knew the exact hype that Face time enjoys, even though having at least one apple device in family since 2012. Also of other apple in-house apps that have rave over them on how beautifully they are integrated into the OS, but for me bunch of bloatwares that I can't remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Btw, my preferred one would be the s23. Apart from the snob value, the s23 excels in every other field. Don't forget the sweet 3x telephoto and the 120hz display it has
As I said, moving from Sammy to Sammy was a no brainer, but there is an itch for change with the price drop of apple. I am the person who preferred Sony Ericsson over Nokia of that era and also hold a "white" Lumia and Experia between S2 and S10 lite.
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 14:58   #12012
BHPian

Planning to replace my phone Samsung Note 9 which has served me well for the last 4 years.

Seeing the current market , S23 ultra feels like a natural upgrade. But having the following doubts regarding the same -
1) I feel UI will almost be the same, the newness will be missing.
2) Wifey uses S22+, so again it will be very similar.
3) My brother just purchased an S23 Ultra

Other options - Apple
a) iPhone 14 pro
b) iPhone 15 pro
c) iPhone 15

What should I do ?
Illuminati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 18:31   #12013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
Planning to replace my phone Samsung Note 9 which has served me well for the last 4 years.
As you said, the natural upgrade will be the S23 Ultra.

Quote:
Other options - Apple
a) iPhone 14 pro
b) iPhone 15 pro
c) iPhone 15
Coming from a Note, I would say 15 Pro Max would be the ideal fit, or the iPhone 15 plus - the latter I feel is the best iteration of iPhone this year (especially if you are not worried of that third camera).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 05:34   #12014
BHPian

Are there newer Sony Xperia (1 or 5 or 10) users from India? How's the experience with Indian networks? Seems VoLTE does not work for units purchased from certain countries.
I'm on a hunt for a Sony phone (since they do not come with notches/camera cutouts) to replace my aging but still capable K20 Pro.
Old 28th September 2023, 18:27   #12015
BHPian

Quote:

Seeing the current market , S23 ultra feels like a natural upgrade. But having the following doubts regarding the same -

What should I do ?
If you can wait for a few months than Samsung is bringing in their next flagships a little early. I read it yesterday (on GSMarena I think) that the next S series is scheduled to launch in Jan '24.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed