Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 16:17   #11626
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I was using OP3 from 5+ years. Recently upgraded to Samsung A52(5G) (in Singapore, currently).
I think it's a safe bet even if it will last me only 2-3 years, since Snapdragon 750 is decent, its screen is 120hz AMOLED which is amaze and the camera is also of decent quality (though a bit oversaturated and might require Google Camera). The only con is the charger from the box is 15w only, but the phone supports till 25w via PD PPS charger.

Hope this helps.
I am also very much inclined towards A52(5G) and have seen lots of good reviews about it on Amazon. Another phone that has caught my interest is S20 FE 5g which runs on Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Octa-Core processor and is in the 45+k range. Since I have an office phone at my disposal so probably would wait till Diwali in the hope that Samsung releases something good in the 30 to 35k range. Not interested in buying a Chinese phone so did not explore anything other than Samsung.
sunbaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 14:57   #11627
BHPian

Suggest an Android phone under 20K for my better half.

Requirements:

1. Should be sturdy and reliable for 4 years (minimum)
2. Super Amoled Display (or any other similar experience)
3. 6GB + 128GB configuration
4. Camera not used much

Phone under consideration: (Kindly suggest more)

Samsung F41 (14.5K)
Motorola G60 (18k)
Real Me X7 (18K)
Old 13th June 2021, 16:55   #11628
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Suggest an Android phone under 20K for my better half.

Requirements:

1. Should be sturdy and reliable for 4 years (minimum)
2. Super Amoled Display (or any other similar experience)
3. 6GB + 128GB configuration
4. Camera not used much

Phone under consideration: (Kindly suggest more)

Samsung F41 (14.5K)
Motorola G60 (18k)
Real Me X7 (18K)
Avoid the F41. It is a shitty phone. If it has to be a Samsung, get the M51.

The Redmi Note 10 Pro Max at 20k is better than the other 2 phones that you are considering. The G60 comes with an LCD display.

If you are willing to stretch a bit, then the One Plus Nord CE is the best bet. You may feel that some of its specs are inferior when compared to the Redmi Note 10 Pro Max but when you look at the package in totality, the Nord CE with its better processor and well optimised Oxygen OS will give you a better experience, more so when the intended usage is for 4 years.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:21   #11629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
I am also very much inclined towards A52(5G) and have seen lots of good reviews about it on Amazon.
While opting for any 5G phone, please do check for the frequency bands it supports. Most current mid-range phone don't support the millimeter wave bands that unleash true potential of 5G. Heck, even telecom providers aren't expected to offer millimeter wave bands initially. So, the current offerings can at best be termed as 4.5G.

Moreover, many mid-range phones now support Carrier aggregation, that improves 4G performance (given the mobile tower in your area is configured to support CA).

I did bit of research in Dec to Feb period about the 5G stuff. After understanding the shortcomings (bands) decided to stick for 4G this time. Bought Samsung A52 4G in last week of March, immediately after it was launched, quite happy with it. [PS: I am not at all into mobile gaming]

Only problem is that I can't root this device without tripping Knox e-fuse and thereby voiding warranty. This can't be undone. So, will wait one year to root and playing with custom ROMs and other stuff.
Old 13th June 2021, 22:09   #11630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
So, will wait one year to root and playing with custom ROMs and other stuff.
Even am looking forward for custom ROM for my A52(4G). Please do let us know as and when you hear about the same. I love to see a clean UI devoid of Samsung bloatware.
Old 14th June 2021, 06:09   #11631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Even am looking forward for custom ROM for my A52(4G). Please do let us know as and when you hear about the same. I love to see a clean UI devoid of Samsung bloatware.
I normally root my phones /tablets within months of buying them, but in the case of my current Samsung phone (S10 plus), I have not felt any need to change anything - except for the launcher (MS Launcher) and the SMS app (again SMS organiser). Samsung's One UI is pretty good and the bloatware if any, has not bothered me at all. YMMV.

Just curious, what is it that bothers you about Samsung's UI and /or bloatware? It was possible to remove the bloatware earlier using adb (via USB and a PC), is this not possible now?
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 17:45   #11632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Just curious, what is it that bothers you about Samsung's UI and /or bloatware? It was possible to remove the bloatware earlier using adb (via USB and a PC), is this not possible now?
The 'Galaxy Store' notifications, which keeps coming periodically. Also, keep getting some ads on my lock screen, every now and then.

Please do share, if there is a way to remove the 'Samsung' apps/bloatware. Earlier, I was with 'Havoc' custom ROM on Asus M1 and loved the lightweight OS/UI. I have been checking in XDA for A52(4G) BUT feel it might take some more time.
Old 14th June 2021, 18:53   #11633
BHPian

Quote:
The 'Galaxy Store' notifications, which keeps coming periodically. Also, keep getting some ads on my lock screen, every now and then.
You definitely have the option to turn off the 'Galaxy Store' notifications. And regarding ads on the lock screen, my guess is that you are talking about 'Glance on Samsung' wallpaper option. Even this feature can be turned off. Screenshots attached for reference.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20210614183726_settings.jpg

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20210614185026_wallpaper-services.jpg

Hope this helps.
Old 14th June 2021, 21:46   #11634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
You definitely have the option to turn off the 'Galaxy Store' notifications. And regarding ads on the lock screen, my guess is that you are talking about 'Glance on Samsung' wallpaper option. Even this feature can be turned off.
As you can see in the first SS, the 'Show Notifications' is switched on and greyed out. Also for the second SS, I have set it for 'None'.
Old 14th June 2021, 22:10   #11635
BHPian

Quote:
As you can see in the first SS, the 'Show Notifications' is switched on and greyed out. Also for the second SS, I have set it for 'None'.
It is possible to turn off each option in the list individually.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20210614215007_settings.jpg
Old 15th June 2021, 04:48   #11636
BHPian

Quote:

Please do share, if there is a way to remove the 'Samsung' apps/bloatware...
Check out the following guide:
https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/...t/td-p/5817510

I am sure the xda developers website would have similar ones.
Seems quite comprehensive, but I have not used it myself. So do let us know how it works out for you.
Old 15th June 2021, 13:05   #11637
BHPian

I'm looking for a phone to replace my 5.5 year old Nexus 6 within a budget of Rs 30k. The top contender is the Pixel 4a. I had also considered the iPhone SE, but the 4a seems like a better overall package.
There is a rumor that the Pixel 5a will launch in another month or two. Pricing is expected to be around 32-35k, and I am willing to stretch to that.
My question now is whether I should wait for the 5a or buy the 4a (whose price has just dropped to 27k) now?
Any other suggestions also welcome.
Old 17th June 2021, 22:20   #11638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In one the videos by geekyranjit, he showed how we can skip the samsung bloatware during the initial install phase.

Here :

Watch from 3:10 time stamp. this may help.
Old 18th June 2021, 01:50   #11639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Just curious, what is it that bothers you about Samsung's UI and /or bloatware?
Yes, bloatware is one reason. Second, I want to update the 'hosts' file to block the ad servers by assigning them localhost ip [127.0.0.1]. This method blocks ads without tripping ad block checkers on most websites.

Quote:
It was possible to remove the bloatware earlier using adb (via USB and a PC), is this not possible now?
Quote:
Please do share, if there is a way to remove the 'Samsung' apps/bloatware.
Yes, please do share. My earlier phones were Xiaomi, and I have done all sort of stuff with/without rooting as it was fully reversible; unlike Samsung Knox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
In one the videos by geekyranjit, he showed how we can skip the samsung bloatware during the initial install phase.
Yes, I took care of this at the first power ON, still it has lots of bloatware; most of those could be disabled. Yet they occupy storage space.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:24   #11640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Have done that. Have NOT created any Samsung account. Even then, there are some bloatware and they keep pushing some notifications. Hope XDA come up with a custom ROM at the earliest. I am happy with the hardware, just need a better software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Yes, bloatware is one reason.
Yes, I took care of this at the first power ON, still it has lots of bloatware; most of those could be disabled. Yet they occupy storage space.
+1. Storage Space + RAM + Processor Usage.

Most Viewed