Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 13:15   #11596
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
From personal experience - if you want a mobile phone to last 5/6 years, you'll surely need some luck!
Experience within the family:
1) Google Pixel (2016). All good till nearing 3 years and then the battery was dropping like crazy. The technician checked and found 15% battery drop after 4 minutes of video playback. Google replaced it free of cost (2019).
2) Oneplus 3T (2016). All fine till the end of 4 years. After that suffered multiple failures (buttons, digitizer). Oneplus service center doesn't have spares to fix them.
3) Redmi Note (2015). Was fine for 2 years and became very sluggish after that. Factory reset also didn't help.

Read somewhere that first Apple, then Samsung produce durable phones. This time planning for Samsung A71.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 14:00   #11597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Experience within the family:
1) Google Pixel (2016). All good till nearing 3 years and then the battery was dropping like crazy. The technician checked and found 15% battery drop after 4 minutes of video playback. Google replaced it free of cost (2019).
I am noticing sudden reduction in battery life in Pixel 2 XL bought in 2018. How much warranty did your Pixed had, as Google replaced the battery after 3 years?
Old 4th January 2021, 20:53   #11598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Suggest an android phone under the budget 25K.
Considering LG G8x which is retailing at 24K. Another option is Samsung M51 which again is around 22K. I am not a heavy user but need few apps running simultaneously. Occasional gaming and constant Team BHP Outlook, few videos and office calls is what I am looking at.
Generally use the Chinese makes like Xiomi, Real Me etc which go kaput in 2 years. Now looking to spend few more grands for a phone which is reliable and last for half a decade.
Sharing my personal experience, I am still using my Samsng J7 which completes 5 years. Am not a heavy user and my usage was limited to calls, SMS, WhatsApp (messages and video calls both), YouTube, listening to music, Outlook and few other official applications like Okta, Slack etc. The constraints are that in the last year I could not get Outlook to work on my device, it would crash after opening (guess this device was not supported anymore), same was the case with Okta which slowed down quite a bit and had issues at time. Apart from that though the phone still works fine touchwood. The Android version of course is very old (version 6) and on other applications also like WhatsApp some new features are not available. As long as that does not bother you, you could have a phone last for 5 years.

An M51 should last for 5 years but maybe with some constraints towards the later stages of phone's life.

Google & Qualcomm have announced support for 4 android versions instead of 3 with the upcoming phones so if you could wait and get one of the newer phones which would have an SoC supporting 4 upgrades that would be even better.

On a side note, recently shifted to a Pixel 2 XL as my second phone (had both SIM cards in J7 for quite some time) and experienced Android 11.... it is a world of difference from Android 6 and an awesome experience... #FeelsLikeKidInCandyStore #BoysAndTheirToys
sukhoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 21:57   #11599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am noticing sudden reduction in battery life in Pixel 2 XL bought in 2018. How much warranty did your Pixed had, as Google replaced the battery after 3 years?
I don't remember. Bought the phone in Oct 2016. The complaint was lodged in Aug 2019 and replaced in the 1st week of September 2019.

PS: I brought up reliability because many of of desktops & laptops still work fine after 10 years. They may not run 24x7. But we have few 2009 model servers (x86) running since then.
Old 5th January 2021, 09:39   #11600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear KL01toKA03,

For your wife, I will suggest Oneplus Nord 8+128GB. OnePlus promises 3 years of Security updates with their phones so all in all, It will be a very good buy.
Does the OnePlus Nord have 5G support? I read somewhere that the phone sold in India supports only one 5G band. Will that cause any issues in the future? Is the Moto G the only option within the 30,000 price range?
Old 5th January 2021, 11:46   #11601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Does the OnePlus Nord have 5G support?
It has 5G support but it will be enabled via system updates in the future.

You can have a quick look at the link below. Last line in the notes section.

https://www.oneplus.in/nord#:~:text=...20the%20future.

For 30k I will suggest other brands than Motorola.

Fast Charging 30W of OnePlus Nord vs. 20W for Moto G.

Amoled Screen with 90Hz. of Oneplus Nord vs. LCD of Moto G.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by N4Nikunj : 5th January 2021 at 11:55.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:31   #11602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
It has 5G support but it will be enabled via system updates in the future.
Here is a discussion on the topic from the Oneplus forum.

5G not available on NORD! - OnePlus Community

Apparently, the Indian variant of the OnePlus Nord supports only one band (N78), which is not the band for 5G deployment in India. Hence, this phone may not support 5G networks in India.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 09:23   #11603
BHPian

My mobile is due for a change. I use a Honor 8 (4GB / 32GB) variant for the last 4 years. It is due for a change.

But I have this thought running in my mind. I want to come out of regular usage of smart phones and move towards using a tablet for doing group messaging, social media, reading, writing, etc. But am not sure if the idea is sound.

So here is my thought.

I am thinking of switching to a feature phone or a cheap touch phone that do calls, SMS and provide whatsapp web support so that I can use the tablet to respond back.

Do we have any feature phones with whatsapp web support and QR code scanning to enable whatsapp web?

Also if I decide to go for a LTE tablet, would it allow me to run whatsapp directly on the tablet?

Any other ideas that we can consider
Old 6th January 2021, 11:50   #11604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post

I am thinking of switching to a feature phone or a cheap touch phone that do calls, SMS and provide whatsapp web support so that I can use the tablet to respond back.

Do we have any feature phones with whatsapp web support and QR code scanning to enable whatsapp web?
Firstly, when I tried to run whatsapp web on an android tablet, it did not work. It appears that they discourage using whatsapp web on a tablet. So, please check how well this works first.

Assuming this works, the closest feature phone may be the jio phone. This includes whatsapp client (with limitations) on the phone too. I don't specifically know if whatsapp web works with this phone or not.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:55   #11605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Firstly, when I tried to run whatsapp web on an android tablet, it did not work. It appears that they discourage using whatsapp web on a tablet. So, please check how well this works first.

Assuming this works, the closest feature phone may be the jio phone. This includes whatsapp client (with limitations) on the phone too. I don't specifically know if whatsapp web works with this phone or not.
In website/browser settings, try to switch to desktop site. That at least works for me on the iPad. IIRC even an old android tab I had was working this way. I was able to use it for a few days and repeat the same process perhaps when the browser settings are cleared or so.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 16:29   #11606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Here is a discussion on the topic from the Oneplus forum.
This is extemely useful information. I just did a check on the Mi 10i 5G released yesterday and that also seems to support only two 5G bands (77 and 78).

Name:  Mi5i.png
Views: 1041
Size:  8.3 KB

Once again the Band 78 is a dummy I guess not sure what the Sub6 extension means though.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 6th January 2021 at 16:32.
Old 6th January 2021, 18:26   #11607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post

Thanks!

I did try it on the basic Ipad through the Safari browser and it works fine. Calling function is not available though.

I did some more reading after posting my message. From what I know, the KAIOS powered phones use a thin version of whatsapp web and it wouldn't come with the QR code that is required to sync with browser or desktop application.

So I believe you would require a smartphone to make this work.
Old 8th January 2021, 16:05   #11608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
This is extemely useful information. I just did a check on the Mi 10i 5G released yesterday and that also seems to support only two 5G bands (77 and 78).

The Moto G 5G seems to support multiple 5G bands. That is impressive from the cheapest 5G phone. For now, we have decided to wait for a month or two, hoping better phones would be launched. Worst case, we'll buy the Moto G
Old 8th January 2021, 16:23   #11609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
What are the phones that feature a second space like Xiaomi? I'm trying to choose between s20+, oppo find x2 and 1 plus 8 pro. Also, are the screen issues on 1 plus 8 Pro sorted?
The second space uses something called a work profile on any phone. The best app I found to manage this is Shelter [Google Play] [Fdroid]. I used this to have two copies of same app such as Telegram.
the_joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:50   #11610
BHPian

Just got an unplanned upgrade from OP3T to 8T today, courtesy a surprise B'day Gift from Wifey. Was more of a shock for me honestly. OP3T was chugging along nicely and had just completed 4 Yrs. today. Have not done any research on OP8T, as this was totally out of the blue. Can some One Plus 8T Owners shed some light on the Phone's performance and known Issues, if any?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks