Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2020, 12:58   #11566
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Hope all of you are keeping good health and safe.

The season of online sales has started so its bound to have queries on "which phone to buy/upgrade to?"

Let me also join this bandwagon. I am in a big dilemma in choosing my next phone to upgrade from my Galaxy S7. The ongoing sales on Amazon and Flipkart is a good period.

I have been an Android user since day 1 of using smartphones and have used only Galaxy devices as my primary device. My upgrade in Android points to Galaxy S20+(8/128) available for a jaw-dropping price but the internet is filled by reports of overheating and average performance from the only Exynos chip option available in India.

Not looking at OnePlus 8T for obvious reasons in India.

I am willing to experiment in shifting to iPhone 11 (128GB) (don't have an iOS ecosystem except for a humble iPad for general use).

Any long term feedback from the iPhone 11/Galaxy S20+ users on this forum to help me decide?

Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 20:37   #11567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
My upgrade in Android points to Galaxy S20+(8/128) available for a jaw-dropping price but the internet is filled by reports of overheating and average performance from the only Exynos chip option available in India.
In exact same boat. While price looks attractive, wondering why for India Samsung choose to provide only Exynos as option? while SD 865 with 5G available in US. Still this looks attractive to me. It would be helpful if any of you PM me with referral code which can fetch extra 5% discount.

Regards
SE
Old 19th October 2020, 00:34   #11568
BHPian

Quote:
My upgrade in Android points to Galaxy S20+(8/128)
Decided to take the plunge and ordered the S20+. Let’s see how it adapts to my usage. Expecting it in a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
In exact same boat. While price looks attractive, wondering why for India Samsung choose to provide only Exynos as option? while SD 865 with 5G available in US. Still this looks attractive to me.
Unfortunately Samsung’s flagship strategy for India and EMEA is not working out hence the push for extra sales by pulling the price down. Now the S20 FE is also added to the Exynos drama. Would have gone for the FE eyes closed if it was SD865 or even SD855+.

If you are keen on the SD865 but can compromise on country of origin as China then also check out Oppo Find X2 going for a discount of 18000 bring the price to around 46k. Add in bank discount of 1250-3000 and you can lower it further.

Good luck SE!!
Old 19th October 2020, 20:12   #11569
BHPian

Quote:
Decided to take the plunge and ordered the S20+.
Congrats for new phone
From which site did you ordered? Is it from flipkart or samsung india or any other place? Any idea if TrueComRetail a credible seller on flipkart?

Regards
SE
speed_edge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 13:09   #11570
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
In exact same boat. While price looks attractive, wondering why for India Samsung choose to provide only Exynos as option? while SD 865 with 5G available in US. Still this looks attractive to me. It would be helpful if any of you PM me with referral code which can fetch extra 5% discount.

Regards
SE
If anyone eyeing a Samsung flagship, i would suggest to have a look at their corporate prices. It is often lesser than Flipkart/Amazon prices with bump-up for exchanges along with card offers. Note 10 Lite, priced around 37k everywhere, was able to get at 10k after exchanging my Note 8 (knocked off sweet 20k)

Just visit their site here - https://www.samsung.com/in/store/corporate and login with your corporate email (Office or custom domain)
RYP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:44   #11571
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats for new phone
From which site did you ordered? Is it from flipkart or samsung india or any other place? Any idea if TrueComRetail a credible seller on flipkart?

Regards
SE
Sorry for the late reply SE. Bought it via Flipkart and TrueCom Retail was the seller. Have bought a few phones through this seller in the past and not faced any concerns till date.

Received the phone on 20th Oct and so far so good. QHD screen and FHD@120Hz resolution is a beauty. Battery seems to be decent (too early to comment as its still learning my usage).

Did you decide on anything? Guess Amazon is the only now. Maybe there could be a reboot of this sale just before Diwali as it happens all the time but with limited discounts.
Old 24th October 2020, 09:45   #11572
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
If anyone eyeing a Samsung flagship, i would suggest to have a look at their corporate prices. It is often lesser than Flipkart/Amazon prices with bump-up for exchanges along with card offers. Note 10 Lite, priced around 37k everywhere, was able to get at 10k after exchanging my Note 8 (knocked off sweet 20k)

Just visit their site here - https://www.samsung.com/in/store/corporate and login with your corporate email (Office or custom domain)
Offers for company employees will of course be unbeatable, no surprises there.

Those cannot be availed by everyone I think, or am I reading this wrong?

Last edited by Oxy : 24th October 2020 at 09:47.
Old 24th October 2020, 20:01   #11573
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Offers for company employees will of course be unbeatable, no surprises there.

Those cannot be availed by everyone I think, or am I reading this wrong?
It's for everyone with any corporate email id. Eg. xyz@tcs, @wipro, @infosys, @cognizant @bajaj @ather and such
RYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:37   #11574
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

My s8 is giving me some problems, with greenish-ness on the screen at certain levels of brightness. The phone works fine at highest brightness.

May need to replace it but the cost quoted is almost 14k. Any FNG equivalent solution to this? (I want the original display but without the Samsung repair premium 3k labour is what they are asking)
Old 28th October 2020, 12:09   #11575
Team-BHP Support

What would you suggest for a travel phone? Requirements are following:
  • Should be durable and ideally water resistant. So that I can keep it for navigation on the bike. If it is good otherwise, can trade the water resistant part.
  • Offer good OS upgrade support and as much as possible, stock Android or minimal bloatware.
  • Good heat management, coz maps on bike are troublesome.
  • Dual sim.
  • Cheaper the better.
  • A decent camera would be added advantage, though not really a need.
  • Size and weight really does not matter.
  • Ideally a reliable brand so that service is easy.

I am using the Mate 10 Pro from UAE, spec wise it will be very difficult to match that. But I am ok as long as new phone is hardy one, which is not the case with Mate 10 Pro and only reason why I am trading in.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2020 at 12:12.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 13:05   #11576
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi guys,

My s8 is giving me some problems, with greenish-ness on the screen at certain levels of brightness. The phone works fine at highest brightness.

May need to replace it but the cost quoted is almost 14k. Any FNG equivalent solution to this? (I want the original display but without the Samsung repair premium 3k labour is what they are asking)
Oh boy, 14k for display replacement on a 3 year old phone is just bonkers. Even if you repair it in any service center outside of Samsung Authorized it would cost in the tune of 8-9k, since AMOLED displays have to be replaced in full (Service center jargon : 'Combo') unlike LCD screens where the touch-display layers are separate & can be individually replaced. The phone is well on its last legs and maybe due for a replacement within an year, also S8's battery is notoriously bad from Day 1. If I were you, i would simply continue using it for a few more months since it is not physically broken and would jump ship later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What would you suggest for a travel phone? Requirements are following:
  • Should be durable and ideally water resistant. So that I can keep it for navigation on the bike. If it is good otherwise, can trade the water resistant part.
  • Offer good OS upgrade support and as much as possible, stock Android or minimal bloatware.
  • Good heat management, coz maps on bike are troublesome.
  • Dual sim.
  • Cheaper the better.
  • A decent camera would be added advantage, though not really a need.
  • Size and weight really does not matter.
  • Ideally a reliable brand so that service is easy.

I am using the Mate 10 Pro from UAE, spec wise it will be very difficult to match that. But I am ok as long as new phone is hardy one, which is not the case with Mate 10 Pro and only reason why I am trading in.
What is little unclear is
1. Are you looking to replace your Mate 10 or
2. Use a travel phone along with Mate 10.

I phrase my suggestion for the second case

There is simply no phone below 50k which are IP rated for dust & water resistance. I feel what you need is a beater phone and a waterproof mobile mount. I'm in the same boat as well.

Something like this:

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-capture.jpg

My beater phone is an old horse - Xperia Z bought in 2013 :P and does the job well enough for navigation. I tether the Xperia to my current phone (which will be sitting in my backpack or jean) using Bluetooth tethering as i found it to be very battery efficient compared to Wi-fi Hotspot or mobile data.

Hope it helps

Last edited by RYP : 28th October 2020 at 13:33.
Old 28th October 2020, 14:22   #11577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is little unclear is
1. Are you looking to replace your Mate 10 or
2. Use a travel phone along with Mate 10.
====
tether the Xperia to my current phone (which will be sitting in my backpack or jean) using Bluetooth tethering as i found it to be very battery efficient compared to Wi-fi Hotspot or mobile data.
Looking are replacing the Mate 10 Pro, and your idea to teether is a good one. I think I have the old LG G6 with me, it has a bust sim card tray. I will use it and see if it fits the bill. Thanks!

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2020 at 19:30.
Old 28th October 2020, 15:03   #11578
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Looking are replacing the Mate 10 Pro, and your idea to teether is a good one. I think I have the old LG G5 with me, it has a bust sim card tray. I will use it and see if it fits the bill. Thanks!
Necessity is the mother of invention! My Xperia's sim tray too went bust and that made me explore other ways to give it a second lease of life.

Coming to replacing the Mate 10, you can consider these below,

1. Galaxy S20+ (~50k as of now, down from ~65k+)
2. OnePlus 8 Pro (~55k)
3. iPhone 11 (~55k)

If okay to forego IP dust & water resistance rating consider the below

1. OnePlus 8T (~43k)
2. Galaxy S20 FE (~45k, New kid on the block)
3. Galaxy S10 Lite (~36k, Best vfm product & only Samsung flagship in India with a powerful & efficient Snapdragon processor)
4. OnePlus Nord (~27k)

*Do check Samsung Corporate portal for Samsung phones, check my few posts above regarding this
Old 28th October 2020, 19:11   #11579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Necessity is the mother of invention!
====
4. OnePlus Nord (~27k)
Got the LG charged and now updating I think this is the best money save option without any risk.

If not I too am leaning towards the nord.
Old 30th October 2020, 13:05   #11580
BHPian

Looking for Samsung Galaxy M21 for mom. Her requirements are simple: Whatsapp, Youtube and good voice functions. Looking for a phone around 10-14k.

Suggestions welcome
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks