Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2019, 10:15   #11386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post

Being a Nokia loyalist, he wants to go for Nokia 5.1+/6.1+/6.1. Is it worth buying Nokia in today's era?

Any other suggestion is welcome
I use a pretty old Nokia 8 with a snapdragon 835 processor, it is an incredible performer, takes amazing pictures with pixel camera app (it will surprise you, i have compared many other phones with it) and has a very good headphone amp.

Point is nokia has come a long way.
Old 26th May 2019, 14:13   #11387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amazing! You solved my problem.
My Samsung M30 with 5000mah battery is giving 2+ days of back up with moderate use, but don't buy it if you plan to travel overseas.
Old 26th May 2019, 15:29   #11388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I use a pretty old Nokia 8 with a snapdragon 835 processor, it is an incredible performer, takes amazing pictures with pixel camera app (it will surprise you, i have compared many other phones with it) and has a very good headphone amp.
Completely agree with you in Nokia's picture quality.
I use a Lumia730 with Zeiss lens and it does wonders.
Battery backup is 48+ hrs (standby).
My only concern with Nokia is its lack of service centers.
But as a device, I am completely happy with my Lumia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
My Samsung M30 with 5000mah battery is giving 2+ days of back up with moderate use,
M30 is a nice phone. My friend has one.
Settled for Motorola this time as it was suggested by a close friend few months back, while I was looking for an android device for myself and I settled with J8 then.

Quote:
don't buy it if you plan to travel overseas.
Just curious, why so?
Old 26th May 2019, 17:08   #11389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just curious, why so?
Have a look at the previous page of this thread.

I am a happy customer of Motorola, Am using a G4+ for last 2.75 years and its still working without any issues or slowness... Only reason for me to upgrade to M30 was the battery backup; G4+ gives just enough battery for 12 hours of moderate use.

My wife still uses her 2.75 year old Moto E3 power. It also has no issues on hardware, but the performance has slowed down. This phone still has battery for 2+ days with 3+ hour calls and 1 hour of browsing and WhatsApp.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2019 at 08:00. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 26th May 2019, 17:26   #11390
BHPian

Quote:
Have a look at the previous page of this thread.
Went through your post in previous page. I wonder what makes Samsung introduce such restrictions.
Maybe they want their customers to be proud of their 'Make in India' initiatives everytime they step out of the country
I hope this feature is limited to only M30.
Old 26th May 2019, 19:56   #11391
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know why the phrase "battery backup" has become popular? Backup is something that gets used when a primary source fails. What we are talking about with mobile batteries is capacity or usage, right?

Usage, of course, varies from person to person. I guess that there are still people who just make phone calls, but that is not what people buy these advanced pocket computers for. They buy them for everything from photography, through navigation, music, movies, etc to gaming, which require much more battery.

But, for each person's individual usage, and assuming that they do not live life on the road, we all sleep near a supply of electricity, so, isn't it enough that our phones can make it through the day?

Huge battery capacity is not such a huge deal if the phone does everything well. The only exception that I can think of to this is that the phone that makes it through the day when new will probably not do at two, maybe even one, year of age. That (built in?) obsolescence needs to be accounted for. Otherwise: isn't battery capacity given too much importance?
Old 27th May 2019, 08:12   #11392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

But, for each person's individual usage, and assuming that they do not live life on the road, we all sleep near a supply of electricity, so, isn't it enough that our phones can make it through the day?

Huge battery capacity is not such a huge deal if the phone does everything well. The only exception that I can think of to this is that the phone that makes it through the day when new will probably not do at two, maybe even one, year of age. That (built in?) obsolescence needs to be accounted for. Otherwise: isn't battery capacity given too much importance?

Not really! -- I can think of a number of reasons:

1. I'd be surprised if very many people like connecting their phone to a charger too frequently, and for hours (if not quick-charge-capable).

2. Batteries have a finite lifetime (can take only so many discharge-recharge cycles). The more frequently they are recharged, the shorter would be their lifespan, -- I wouldn't call it "(built in?) obsolescence", -- it is just technological limitation. So it boils down to not just living with the inconvenience of frequent charging, but also having to get the battery replaced in a matter of just an year or two (if that is even possible, -- Ironically, the sooner the battery dies, the more likely it is that the particular model of phone/battery would still be available in the market!).

3. I like that my smartphone sips the juice relatively slowly, -- so not only does a full charge last 2+ days with my kind of usage, -- when low on juice, I can still keep on using my phone that much longer than a guzzler, confident in the knowledge that it would suddenly not die on me in the middle of something important!

4. Although most people don't seem to care about how often disposable items like batteries are put out in trash (or even worse, the still-perfectly-serviceable phone itself is junked, and replaced with a newer one), the smaller that frequency can be made, the better it is (especially in the absence of viable recycling possibilities).

Last edited by meerkat : 27th May 2019 at 08:16.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:36   #11393
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
1. I'd be surprised if very many people like connecting their phone to a charger too frequently, and for hours (if not quick-charge-capable).
I agree. I have a S10 and its battery lasted a day, but I still wasn't happy with it for more than a month. Now, after a lot of tweaking and updates from Samsung, it lasts longer and that is probably the biggest thing that given me the mental satisfaction of a mobile phone being really mobile and not tied to a cable with a tight schedule to follow.

Look at it this way, my first generation WagonR ran 350-375kms per tank of fuel, the Polo GT does 600-700, I'm so much happier with less visits to refuel, its freedom!
Old 28th May 2019, 03:38   #11394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
2. Batteries have a finite lifetime (can take only so many discharge-recharge cycles). The more frequently they are recharged, the shorter would be their lifespan ...
Good point! I was not thinking of that one when I wrote before.
Old 31st May 2019, 20:49   #11395
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a smartphone for my dad. This will be his 2nd smartphone but 1st android one.
Criteria-
1. Budget- Rs 10-12k
2. Brand- Nokia/Motorola/Samsung
3. RAM- 3/4 GB, Storage- 32/64 GB
4. Battery backup- More than 1 day.
5. Camera- Good picture quality, similar to Samsung J8

Shortlisted-
Nokia 5.1/ 6.1/6.1+
Motorola X4/G6/G6 plus/ G6 play/ G7 power
Samsung J6/ M20

Being a Nokia loyalist, he wants to go for Nokia 5.1+/6.1+/6.1. Is it worth buying Nokia in today's era?

Any other suggestion is welcome

Flipkart is selling Nokia 6.1 at Rs.6999/-

Loyalist or not, that is extremely good value. It is a pretty decent phone, although may not be best in segment (except for security updates since it is a google one phone).

The offer is only till 31st May
Old 1st June 2019, 01:59   #11396
BANNED

I doubt there'd be any takers for this info here, but sharing anyhow.

If you dig the Nokia 8110 4G or KaiOS for that matter do note;

1. The phones you get on Amazon aren't originally intended for the Indian market hence VoLTE wouldn't work when using a Jio sim.

2. The Indian market variant can be bought off the official Nokia store, but the software v10.05 is more or less a ripoff of the JioPhone software and doesnt seem to be getting any updates, even has Jio bloatware.

Though you could run GerdaOS on it which opens a whole world of possibilities, the procedure is simple install the Service Installer via Recovery, then replace the Recovery to Gerda Recovery and restore the stock modem.img from the stock rom since international modem drivers cause the phone to overheat and go berserk.

Here's a snap of me playing Mario on mine!

Name:  20190601011133.png
Views: 1305
Size:  13.6 KB

Cheers!
Old 1st June 2019, 22:44   #11397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Flipkart is selling Nokia 6.1 at Rs.6999/-
Yes, it was undoubtedly a great offer. I even added it to my cart, but heart went for Motorola this time. Dad also liked the glass body of X4. I know it's an old model but at times heart wins over brain.
My only regret- Flipkart delivered me a December 2017 manufactured model. This should not be an issue though.
I updated the android version from 7.0 to 9.0.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:17   #11398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I doubt there'd be any takers for this info here, but sharing anyhow.
Let me put your doubts to rest and thank you for the information.

I was thinking of buying the 8110 banana phone on Amazon but ended up with the Jio Rs 1500 phone. I thank my luck for not buying it.
Now my question is, can the GerdaOS be flashed on the Jio phone. I want to unlock the network restrictions so that any sim can be used.Tried youtube, but the comments aren't encouraging with members claiming 'no network' after flashing.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:49   #11399
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

I was thinking of buying the 8110 banana phone on Amazon but ended up with the Jio Rs 1500 phone. I thank my luck for not buying it.
Now my question is, can the GerdaOS be flashed on the Jio phone. I want to unlock the network restrictions so that any sim can be used.Tried Youtube, but the comments aren't encouraging with members claiming 'no network' after flashing.
I have a JioPhone as well and let me assure you that you've definitely dodged a Bullet, that this is practically unusable that I use it as a paper-weight, no pun intended.

As for the Nokia 8110... Right about this point I realize that you've bought the JioPhone and not the Nokia 8110...

Okies, so coming to the JioPhone, attempts have been made to flash GerdaOS on to the JioPhone but since it was originally intended for the 8110 the keypad layout is messed up, so for it to work you would have to replace the 'hardware_buttons.js' file using the one that comes on the stock firmware, it is located at:

'/system/b2g/webapps/system.gaiamobile.org/application.zip'

First take a backup dump of your stock OS using Dump4All.

Quote:
Installation is quite simple:

Put the zip into the SD card;
reboot the phone in Recovery Mode: Power+On or from adb "adb reboot recovery";
Mount /system;
Apply update from SD Card;
Select the .zip file;
Wait about five minutes.....
Reboot system now.
Then install GerdaOS(boot and system.img) and then replace the aforementioned file using ADB, which would be easier as GerdaOS is rooted by default.

Source: bananahackers

This has never been tried before, hence you do run the risk of bricking the phone, YouTube is useless when it comes to the real deal, hence better surf through the BananaHackers forum, which can also be accessed from the aforementioned link.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 5th June 2019, 19:14   #11400
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

Now my question is, can the GerdaOS be flashed on the Jio phone. I want to unlock the network restrictions so that any sim can be used.Tried Youtube, but the comments aren't encouraging with members claiming 'no network' after flashing.
GerdaOS for the JioPhone would be out soon, follow this thread;

GerdaOS 4 Jio Phone: new system custom ROM, who wants to try it?

The first system.img didn't work for a user hence they've asked us to wait for a bit, hopefully they'll introduce a System Installer shortly like they have for the 8110 4G.

Mines the F50Y model, haven't used it for months so charged her up and she's working fine, now in search of a spare SD card to try out the installer when it would be out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks