Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2018, 13:32   #11281
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Hello fellow BHPians, I want to buy a mid range phone for my mom (She currently uses a Redmi Note 2). I've been looking at Honor 7x (13K), Nokia 6(13K) and Moto G5s Plus (15K). Comparison wise, Honor 7x seems to be quite a good phone, but mind says- Moto G5s Plus would be more reliable.

Can folks here advise me please? Her preferences are: Bigger screen, good battery back up. Not very inclined to go back to Mi Products, because they skin their android a lot. makes it buggy and a cheap iPhone Clone.
Old 31st March 2018, 22:53   #11282
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
I've been looking at Honor 7x (13K), Nokia 6(13K) and Moto G5s Plus (15K). Comparison wise, Honor 7x seems to be quite a good phone, but mind says- Moto G5s Plus would be more reliable.

Can folks here advise me please? Her preferences are: Bigger screen, good battery back up. Not very inclined to go back to Mi Products, because they skin their android a lot. makes it buggy and a cheap iPhone Clone.
Just bought a Redmi Note 5 Pro, my first experience with Xiaomi, lets see how it goes.

Have a Moto G5 and it's a mixed experience (some intermittent & weird issues). Also, this is now an older phone, better to avoid.

The Honor phones seem to have picked up good market share. I was also considering the Honor 9 Lite and Honor 7X.

Till yesterday, I had absolutely no idea about Redmi, Honor etc or any of the newer mobile phones. After enquiring with Bhpian friends, I had a shortlist of Honor 9 Lite, Honor 7X and Redmi Note 5 Pro.
The Honor 9 Lite and Redmi Note 5 Pro were not available online (can just ask to be notified when stock is available), I had to visit quite a few stores to find these.

Just one store had the Honor 9 Lite (others had the 7X and 9i) and were quoting Rs.15200 (online searches say Rs.10999!).

Similarly, found just one store that had the Note 5 Pro and it was Rs.1000 more than online prices (13999), so got the 4GB, 64GB model for Rs.14999

Last edited by NPV : 31st March 2018 at 22:55.
Old 1st April 2018, 10:15   #11283
BHPian

What would be a good non smart phone (or a cheap smart phone) that is dual sim, allows to be used as a hot spot and has 4G?
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:23   #11284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
What ......smart phone.......that is dual sim, allows to be used as a hot spot and has 4G?

Wow. I have the same requirement, to replace a Panasonic T44 which isn't 4G unfortunately. I am looking at 4 inch screen options, as it become a perfect size for a pocket friendly 2nd phone.
Nokia 1 & 2 seem like the target phones.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 2nd April 2018 at 12:27.
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:54   #11285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
What would be a good non smart phone (or a cheap smart phone) that is dual sim, allows to be used as a hot spot and has 4G?
You can try Jio phones. Dual SIM + 4G available around 4000 bucks.
https://www.jio.com/shop/en-in/c451-white/p/581108681

Note that I have not used them personally. So, would recommend going through few reviews before buying.
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:58   #11286
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians, I want to buy a mid range phone for my mom (She currently uses a Redmi Note 2). I've been looking at Honor 7x (13K), Nokia 6(13K) and Moto G5s Plus (15K). Comparison wise, Honor 7x seems to be quite a good phone, but mind says- Moto G5s Plus would be more reliable.

Why don't you check the Mi A1. No doubt it is an Mi, but runs stock android. It is definitely a better option than the others you have listed.
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:24   #11287
BHPian

Quote:

I would recommend the Honor 7x. Brilliant phone for the price, wouldn't recommend the Nokia coz I know a person with issues.
Else the Moto G5s is good.
Old 24th April 2018, 21:48   #11288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They could just vanish if all their infrastructure providers pulled the plug.

Hoping, but not smelling nice stuff here.
This might interest you.

Quote:
India’s telecom regulator has asked Aircel to refund security deposits of all post paid subscribers and submit compliance report by May 10, besides preparing a list of pre-paid subscribers having ported out to other carriers between December and March 10, along with unspent balance.

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has further asked the Chennai-based carrier to issue a public notice by April 26 on its website and some newspapers, asking consumers to send their bank account details for reclaiming their unspent balance, and then process the refunds electronically by April 30.
Quote:
Trai had asked Aircel in February to keep porting codes valid till April 15, so as to ease the movement of subscribers to other carriers in circles where the company was shutting operations. Last week it ordered the carrier to keep the codes valid till further orders.
Old 24th April 2018, 22:55   #11289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
This[/url] might interest you.
Thanks. It's all history now as far as I am concerned. I was a prepaid customer, so no deposits, and I did my my precious number ported. They owed me a few hundred Rs prepaid, but I'll wave that goodbye. I took the opportunity, finding myself in a place with an aircel signal, to have an international chat, which would have used up some of my Rs.

In general, though, and with respect to the levels of priority with which creditors can get money out of a bankrupt company here: you can't get blood out of a stone.
Old 29th April 2018, 15:09   #11290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just bought a Redmi Note 5 Pro, my first experience with Xiaomi, lets see how it goes.

Similarly, found just one store that had the Note 5 Pro and it was Rs.1000 more than online prices (13999), so got the 4GB, 64GB model for Rs.14999
Probably different phones but a colleague's Redmi Note 5 fell within two feet from his hand (slipped while parking his car) on tarmac and the screen cracked. It was just 9 days old. I would suggest getting a flip type or any kind of protective cover for same. Build quality is not that great as far as the glass is concerned.
Old 4th May 2018, 10:40   #11291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Probably different phones but a colleague's Redmi Note 5 fell within two feet from his hand (slipped while parking his car) on tarmac and the screen cracked. It was just 9 days old. I would suggest getting a flip type or any kind of protective cover for same. Build quality is not that great as far as the glass is concerned.
I have a Redmi 4 bought last July. I have put it down at times from 3.5 feet above concrete ground and it has fallen on all four corners at least once and the screen nor the body has given up. The build quality is so good in the 4 I doubt why they would compromise it in the 5. I don't have any screen protector or case from day 1. As stock as my car.
Old 4th May 2018, 22:22   #11292
BHPian

Hi, Any Redmi Note 5 owners here?

Can you please share your ownership experience. How good is the phone? Are there any particular issues with the phone? I'm planning to get one with the 4GB + 64GB ROM/RAM. Main use of the phone will be phone calls and internet browsing mostly limited to FB + Whatsapp + Youtube videos.

Pls share your opinion about the goods and bads of the phone. Thank you.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:46   #11293
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

I need help in deciding a good android phone under Rs. 15k. Currently, I am confused between Honor 7X, Honor 9 Lite and Moto G5S Plus. Upgrading from a humble Xiaomi Redmi 3S Prime.

* I am not a tech-savvy person and would be more than satisfied if the phone doesn't hang on basic multi-tasking or gaming. Ideally, internal storage should be over 32 GB. 64 GB would be an overkill for my purpose, but still good to have.

* Design is a big priority. In this department, the Honor 7X simply blows away the rest for me in terms of looks. I prefer phones with thin bezels and slim bodies.

* Display size should be 5, 5.5 inch or thereabouts. Dual camera is a must, in addition to a good front camera (5MP +) as I use my mobile a lot for photography, anytime and anywhere.

* Splash proof, fingerprint scanner, etc. good to have but not a deal-breaker.

* Not considering Samsung and Xiaomi phones.

Pls suggest a good option. If any of you are using/have used phones from Huawei and Motorola, do share your experience.
Old 13th May 2018, 17:17   #11294
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Pls suggest a good option. If any of you are using/have used phones from Huawei and Motorola, do share your experience.
I would pick the Honor 8 Pro if I was you.

For 19.5k (after applying HDFC discount, on Flipkart), I think it offers incredible value. Comes with a crisp 2k screen (5.7 inches), 6GB RAM, 128GB of internal storage (which is expandable as well), good set of cameras, 4000 mah battery and a slim form factor. The price comes down further if you exchange your old phone.

Cons are that it comes with an older Android version (Nougat) and doesn't have very slim bezels so you need to evaluate if you consider them deal breakers.

My wife is using it and is very happy with it.

Last edited by Oxy : 13th May 2018 at 17:24.
Old 14th May 2018, 20:19   #11295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I would pick the Honor 8 Pro if I was you. My wife is using it and is very happy with it.
Thanks for your suggestion Oxy. The Honor 8 Pro is no doubt a cracker of a device for that price but its 16:9 aspect ratio is a bit of a letdown for me.

Ultimately, I had to increase the budget to around 25k to include the Nokia 7+ and LG G6. It was a tough call between the two as both of them offer a good camera, 18:9 aspect ratio display and a sleek design. Got a great deal today on the LG G6 (23.5k) online and have placed an order for it. Now waiting to get my hands on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks