Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 23:20   #11266
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Aircel is no longer an exisiting company.
The operations have ceased, but the option to port hasn't.

Quote:
Aircel has informed telecom regulator Trai that it’s shutting down operations in six circles and will direct the customers in those circles with Unique Porting Code (UPC) to join another network. Aircel will notify the customers with a 30-day notice period, and an existing Aircel customer in those regions can port out to another network by March 10, 2018...Aircel would be shutting operations in the said circles by January 30, 2018, and will allow customers to port out another network until March 10, 2018...Aircel asked to keep the UPC codes valid till “23:59:59 hours of 10th March 2018; not reject any porting-out request of its subscribers
Source
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:13   #11267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Aircel is no longer an exisiting company. No signal. Kaput.
Like others have mentioned, you should have already received a porting request number in SMS. I was using Reliance Communications till November and started getting porting request number about 15 days before the network shut down. Went to Airtel store and there were numerous people there in same boat as mine. Do check with any Vodafone / Airtel store. They will be able to helpful since they would be porting many Aircel customers daily now.
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:35   #11268
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't had any option to port message, and now, as there is no signal here, I can't get or ask for one.

I'm told that porting without a code from Aircel will be possible.
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:52   #11269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Folks, any thoughts on Honor View 10. Seems like a good offering at the price point: 29,999.

Pros:
Android Oreo OS by default
Bezel-less Display Design
Dual SIM, Dual LTE
128 GB Memory/6GB ROM
AI Processor
3750 maH Battery

Cons:
Non Snapdragon Kirin Processor
No Image Stabilization

Currently Amazon is offering a No Cost EMI scheme as well for it. Usage would be mainly for calls, I use both Airtel and Jio SIMs and Whatsapp messaging and Camera. Camera should not be bad - I am not expecting anything phenomenal like an iPhone (on par with a Moto G5 Plus would do...)
Though a delayed response and not sure if it will still be helpful, using the V10 from last 2 weeks. Initial feel is that phone is pretty solid. The phone doesn't lag during heavy gaming.Full vision is good.

Camera quality is pretty awesome too, the results are at par with Wife's OP5. The AI processor also helps in sharp images, better power management etc. And Oh the face recognition is quite fast too, unlocks the phone in a jiffy
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:30   #11270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Though a delayed response and not sure if it will still be helpful, using the V10 from last 2 weeks. Initial feel is that phone is pretty solid. The phone doesn't lag during heavy gaming.Full vision is good.

Camera quality is pretty awesome too, the results are at par with Wife's OP5. The AI processor also helps in sharp images, better power management etc. And Oh the face recognition is quite fast too, unlocks the phone in a jiffy
Thanks - I already purchased the Honor View 10 and I agree with your comments. I also added my review of the phone on Amazon.in here : URL

I would also highly recommend buying the Huawei SuperCharge based Charger. It does improve the charging time by almost 2x.
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:47   #11271
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - I already purchased the Honor View 10 and I agree with your comments. I also added my review of the phone on Amazon.in here : URL

I would also highly recommend buying the Huawei SuperCharge based Charger. It does improve the charging time by almost 2x.
Enjoy the phone !! Can you guide me to a link for buying the supercharge based charger.

TIA
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:27   #11272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Enjoy the phone !! Can you guide me to a link for buying the supercharge based charger.

TIA
You can read more about the Huawei Super Charger here prior to purchasing it: URL

Find enclosed the link for buying the Huawei Super Charger here: URL

Check for Ebay.in coupons before buying, I got 15% OFF when I purchased it.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_20180219_180027.jpg
Huawei Super Charger

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20180219180326.jpg
Charging Time using Fast Charger

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20180219180255.jpg
Charging Time using Super Charger

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd February 2018 at 16:34.
Old 23rd February 2018, 19:30   #11273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though a delayed response and not sure if it will still be helpful, using the V10 from last 2 weeks.
Quote:
Thanks - I already purchased the Honor View 10 and I agree with your comments.
Quote:
Find enclosed the link for buying the Huawei Super Charger here: URL
Gents, if you dont mind, can you please post your experiences in the Android Phones thread as that thread has more views for people looking for smartphones and it is lacking the first hand information from Honor V10 users. And going by the general feedback from you both seems like a solid alternative to the OP5T.
Old 26th February 2018, 12:43   #11274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Gents, if you dont mind, can you please post your experiences in the Android Phones thread as that thread has more views for people looking for smartphones and it is lacking the first hand information from Honor V10 users. And going by the general feedback from you both seems like a solid alternative to the OP5T.
Sure Abhinav, I will add the details in the Android phone thread.
Old 28th February 2018, 19:08   #11275
Distinguished - BHPian

Aircel has filed for Bankruptcy

The following news article says some arrangements will be made for subscribers to port to other service providers

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63112025.cms
Quote:
"As an emergency measure, we are working out intra circle roaming arrangements with other telecom service providers to help our subscribers remain connected (keeping the criticality of mobile connectivity which is linked to a host of other essential services) and also that they may opt for porting if they choose to...," Aircel had said.

Aircel debt amounts to Rs 15,500 crore ($2.38 billion).
Old 28th February 2018, 22:59   #11276
BHPian

Folks, need some input on the next phone

I currently have an iPhone 6. It has served me quite well for the past 2 years or so. Of late, the battery has gone for a toss and even after replacement, it still isn't up to par. So, I plan to go for a new phone. Here's my quandry

1. My easy way out is an iPhone X. I sign in to the new phone and I am done. Everything gets transferred and I don't have to do any hoops.

2. While that's great, I am really thinking of the days I had my Nexus 5. While Android was buggy back then, it still was fun.

3. I am no longer that interested in fiddling with my phone - I just want it to work and be stable.

So questions for you folks

1. Has Android improved in stability that it's comparable to iOS now? I haven't used any Android phones for at least 2 years and so asking. What do you say as pros - cons for each?

2. How big a pain is it to get my apps setup in Android vs. how it's setup in my iPhone now? I know Contacts can tear my hair out but I could be convinced to cross over to the dark side if the rest (app set ups, payments, data transfer etc.) is easy.

3. If I go with Android, would the S9/9+ be a good buy? I love their displays but have heard neutral things about Samsung's layer on top of Android being a bit of a slob. Any others that you think I should check out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2018, 23:16   #11277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I currently have an iPhone 6.
1. My easy way out is an iPhone X. I sign in to the new phone and I am done. Everything gets transferred and I don't have to do any hoops.
Thanks in advance.
As a user of the iPhone X, my advise to you would be to get the iPhone X. Its expensive but totally worth the money.
I use an Android phone sometimes but after being in the Apple universe for my last few phones, I do not find the same satisfaction in the Android universe as I do in the Apple ecosystem. Ease of use, constant updates, superb cameras and zero crashes from my first iPhone till date have kept me satisfactorily returning to the iPhone. Buy the phone, sign in with your Apple id and that's it. Everything backs up seamlessly.

Buy the iPhone X, you won't regret it at all.
Old 1st March 2018, 07:11   #11278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Well if you have been on iPhone for longer periods, a switch may get some time to get used to. For example, my wife is an iPhone user from 3Gs days; once in a while she get this thing “I am bored with iPhone’. Last time it happened many years back (I think she switched to a Note 2 then), and a few months later it was like “I miss my iPhone”. Now recently the same thing happened, I traded in her 7 plus for a swanky Note 8; happy days for a couple of months, and now occasionally I hear the same old “I miss my iPhone” thing. From what I see, that effectively will put water on my plans to replace my LG V20 with a Pixel 2 XL because I may end up getting a 8 plus or X for her when I contract will get due for renewal next month. So think hard and convince yourself that you are not going to miss your iphone; otherwise get an iPhone X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
1. Has Android improved in stability that it's comparable to iOS now? I haven't used any Android phones for at least 2 years and so asking. What do you say as pros - cons for each?
I think Android has much lesser quirks compared to iOS now. Mostly all works pretty good, occasionally do get messages like “your application has stopped” but that’s more of a rarity. For reference, I use both iPhone (7) and Android (LG V20).

Quote:
2. How big a pain is it to get my apps setup in Android vs. how it's setup in my iPhone now? I know Contacts can tear my hair out but I could be convinced to cross over to the dark side if the rest (app set ups, payments, data transfer etc.) is easy.
My contacts are always synced on my hotmail and so transfer is never an issue, and didn’t have any need to transfer apps. I don’t think there’s a straightforward way to move app contents (say Whatsapp history) from iOS to Android or vice versa.

Quote:
3. If I go with Android, would the S9/9+ be a good buy? I love their displays but have heard neutral things about Samsung's layer on top of Android being a bit of a slob. Any others that you think I should check out?
From the reviews S9 looks to be good phone but more of slight evolution from the S8. Samsung has that heavy layer on top, but other than the bixby thing I find it pretty good now (from what I have seen on the Note 8). The camera is brilliant, though colors are a bit loud compared to an iPhone X or Pixel 2. If moving to Android, do check out the Pixel 2 XL.
Old 7th March 2018, 14:07   #11279
BHPian

This post is for the folks who are looking to buy skins from either dbrand or slickwraps but couldn't afford due to exorbitant price.

Our own desi version of skins are available from CAPES India for a very minimal cost. Rs. 499 for Note 8

Tried their black skin for my Note 8 and it is pure VFM. The skin is from 3M and it is pretty durable. Installation wasn't easy like we see in Youtube videos. Had to peel it off atleast 10 times for proper alignment. But even after this struggle along with fingerprints and dust sticking to the sticky side, the skin was successfully applied.

After 2 weeks of usage, not a single peel or bubble. Really amazed.

They do cater for joysticks, mobiles and laptop.

https://www.capesindia.com

PS. No marketing affiliation with this company.

Last edited by dre@ms : 7th March 2018 at 14:08.
Old 7th March 2018, 18:23   #11280
BHPian

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
This post is for the folks who are looking to buy skins from either dbrand or slickwraps but couldn't afford due to exorbitant price.

Our own desi version of skins are available from CAPES India for a very minimal cost. Rs. 499 for Note 8

Tried their black skin for my Note 8 and it is pure VFM. The skin is from 3M and it is pretty durable. Installation wasn't easy like we see in Youtube videos. Had to peel it off atleast 10 times for proper alignment. But even after this struggle along with fingerprints and dust sticking to the sticky side, the skin was successfully applied.

After 2 weeks of usage, not a single peel or bubble. Really amazed.

They do cater for joysticks, mobiles and laptop.

https://www.capesindia.com

PS. No marketing affiliation with this company.

Another similar option is skinnova from gadgetshieldz. I got a black carbonfibre wrap for my 7+ at around 450, and I have been using it since around 6 months now. The glue is weak at one point, but other than that, its still holding up well

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 7th March 2018 at 18:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks