Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 22:59   #11086
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Just ordered the Redmi 2 Prime. For 7k, it looks unbelievable VFM.

- 4.7 inch screen with 312 ppi resolution
- 64-bit Snapdragon 410 processor
- Adreno 306 GPU
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB Internal memory (expandable upto another 32GB)
- 8MP rear and 2MP front cameras
- Dual sim, with 4G LTE support on both sims
- OTG support
- Call recording and FM recording

The only downside seems to be that it comes with Kitkat out of the box, which is fine with me because I found it to be more stable than Lollypop.

Cannot wait now to get my hands on it.
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:08   #11087
BHPian

Those who are checking out the redmi 2 prime, I suggest you to check out the Meizu m2. Both the devices cost the same. Meizu is better than redmi in all aspects except for the hybrid sim slot. I've both the devices and have done a series of tests on both.

Meizu m2 vs redmi 2 prime benchmark test

Meizu m2 vs redmi 2 prime speed and multitasking test
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:59   #11088
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
Those who are checking out the redmi 2 prime, I suggest you to check out the Meizu m2. Both the devices cost the same. Meizu is better than redmi in all aspects except for the hybrid sim slot. I've both the devices and have done a series of tests on both.
No they don't cost the same. The Meizu is expensive by 3k.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01082C...EwL&ref=plSrch
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:40   #11089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
No they don't cost the same. The Meizu is expensive by 3k.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01082C...EwL&ref=plSrch
Meizu m2 costs 6999 on snapdeal. I am talking about Meizu m2 and you are confusing it for the m2 note which sells on amazon
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:36   #11090
Senior - BHPian

Needed some advice regarding upgrading my Moto G2 charger. The original one has an output of 500 mA, which is taking quite a long time to charge. Maybe also because my phone is ~15 months old, and the battery is showing early signs of ageing. Also, the charger takes like 8-9 hours to charge my 4000 mA Intex power bank!!

Will upgrading to a higher output charger help in improving charging speeds? Should I go for a 1A output charger or a 2A output one? My power bank says "Input 500-1000 mA", I'm not sure of any such ratings for my Moto G2.

If a get a 2A output charger, will it damage the power bank, or will it just charge at the 1A input rating the power bank comes with?

I'm not looking for something fancy or expensive. The charger should be reliable though.

I was looking at something like:
http://www.amazon.in/Portronics-2-1A.../dp/B00ON6HAR8
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:47   #11091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

If a get a 2A output charger, will it damage the power bank, or will it just charge at the 1A input rating the power bank comes with?
The power bank would only draw 1A as that is the highest amount of input it can take.
Same with the Moto G2, it will restrict the input power below 2A.
Old 8th December 2015, 21:51   #11092
BHPian

Folks, At last decided to part with my no nonsense Nexus4. Flipkart is offering 5k for the Nexus and i traded it for Moto X play. Can some one suggest a good case for Moto X play? I dont want a bulky one as the phone itself is going to be big for my liking. The case should just protect from accident fall. Any feedback on screen replacement charge for MotoX play? Some feedback says its as high as the cost of phone!
Old 10th December 2015, 19:53   #11093
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
....... Any feedback on screen replacement charge for MotoX play? Some feedback says its as high as the cost of phone!
Buying Moto mid-rangers and flagships is akin to buying a premium car second-hand at a steal. The smiles last until you need parts service/replacement, when you realize the steal deal doesn't extend to spares.

If the exorbitant spare prices aren't bad enough, Motorola service seems to be out-of-stock for spares in most places (including major Metros) more often than not, so it's not a given that you'll get parts/service even if you're willing to cough up the exorbitant prices.

I recently bought a Moto G3, and I've resigned to the fact that I'll probably need to discard the phone if ever I'm in need of critical parts.

But then, I don't think there's anyone in the market except Apple who provide near-flawless customer service, so it's not like you can avoid this by shifting brands (unless you're shifting to the bitten fruit, of course). Make an informed choice to avoid being disappointed later.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th December 2015 at 19:59.
Old 10th December 2015, 20:25   #11094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Folks, Any feedback on screen replacement charge for MotoX play? Some feedback says its as high as the cost of phone!
Every manufacturers screen cost is usually around 7 to 8k. However, all popular model's screens will be available on eBay or online for about 2 to 3k but they may not be genuine. But that's probably OK if the phone is say 2yrs old - cause a 2 year is anyway worth only a couple of thousands and you really don't want to spend 8k on a display.

So my mantra is that as long as you have a popular phone (includes Moto x) you will get spares online even if not from the original manufacturer. IPhone is actually the best example. You get even a home button separately (not official apple spare). It helps continue using the phone for a couple of months with non-original spares!!!
Old 11th December 2015, 08:53   #11095
BHPian

Anybody looking to buy a phone with 9000 Rs, please have a look at Lava Pixel v1.

5.5 inch screen
2GB RAM
32GB Internal Memory
1.3 GHz Quad Core Processor GPU: ARM Mali 400 MP2 (500 MHz), 59 million triangles/sec - Dont know which one they use - Snapdragon or Qualcomm.
13mp rear camera and 8mp Front camera.
2650 mah battery
Dual SIM
Removable battery
Can use micro SD upto 32 GB.

Price: Rs.8999

I am using this phone for the past 1 week. Looks good till now. I am on marshmallow already. The phone is slim and light weight. Only con is battery backup. It lasts upto 12 hours maximum.
Old 12th December 2015, 06:04   #11096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Anybody looking to buy a phone with 9000 Rs, please have a look at Lava Pixel v1.

5.5 inch screen
2GB RAM
32GB Internal Memory
Friends, please dont buy this one!! Lots of issues after 1 week of usage. Battery backup is pathetic. Already did factory reset!!
Old 16th December 2015, 12:15   #11097
Distinguished - BHPian

Tempered glass:

I have an observation. Not a result, not a conclusion, not a suggestion. Just something I have observed.
I have only started using tempered glass on phone for the last 4 months, as for my wife, dad and mom. The heaviest users are my dad, wife and I.
Looking at my own case, I have broken 3 tempered glasses on my T2 Ultra, which I have owned for about a year and a half. I could be tempted to say, wow, what would have happened without?
Well, in about 6 years of using phones with touch screens ,from the X1, X10, Ion, T2, I have always had screen guards. They used to get scratched up pretty bad, but were always replaced with a new scratch free one. Cost a pittance, still. However, that was only about every 5-6 months. I have NEVER had a broken screen due to a drop. And my phones have seen some stuff. The X10 dropped off the grassy knoll at BIC (the grass hil seating area, which have steps leading upto them. The protective case shattered after falling down the 40 odd steps. No broken screen.
Do I really need tempered glass? Certainly not for protection. It breaks more often, and I was better off without. The only advantage I see is I have a crystal clear screen for the duration that it survives. But it ends up with buying one every couple of months.
Old 16th December 2015, 12:40   #11098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Tempered glass:

..snip..

Do I really need tempered glass? Certainly not for protection. It breaks more often, and I was better off without. The only advantage I see is I have a crystal clear screen for the duration that it survives. But it ends up with buying one every couple of months.
i guess tempered glass is not supposed to be crash tested every now and then however, in the event of a fall/impact, it disintegrates to absorb the impact and thereby keeps the screen intact. pretty much like the F1 car's carbon fiber body.
Old 16th December 2015, 12:55   #11099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i guess tempered glass is not supposed to be crash tested every now and then however, in the event of a fall/impact, it disintegrates to absorb the impact and thereby keeps the screen intact. pretty much like the F1 car's carbon fiber body.

Thats what. My phone still behaves like a 10 month old child, falling everywhere. But instead of the screen NOT breaking as always, the tempered glass does.
So basically, I have put something on that will keep breaking, in an event where nothing used to happen earlier?????
Old 17th December 2015, 00:19   #11100
BHPian

The iphone 6S 16gb is retailing for 49k on flipkart right now. There is an offer on 16gb devices. Iphone 6 also 4k lower at 41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks