Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 16:17   #11071
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
- Custom keyboards. I only use swiftkey. Without it, I wont even use the iPhone. Every now and then it loses alignment with the bottom row shifting 10 pixels below, resulting in only part of it showing. Swiftkey itself is much less featured (no long press, no number row) than on android.
I don't know how to explain this but I still havent found a better touch keyboard than Apple purely for typing. Yes the keyboards in Android or even the swiftkey have extra features over the Apple keyboard especially swipe input but I still "type" the fastest on an Apple keyboard. It is almost as if the keyboard know which key I am to hit next even if I am a little clumsy at hitting the key in question.

The iPhone 6S Plus that I am using is one of the strongest Apple product ever. The CPU is at the bleeding edge of technology and is ridiculously fast, 2GB of RAM is more than ever for iOS even if you want to run two heavy apps side my side, 12MP camera may not be the absolute best but it is still one of the best point and shoot camera in any device, 3D touch is genuinely useful (I regularly force touch my other device, a Nexus 5 and always left wondering why isnt it responding to pressure), 4K recording is brilliant especially OIS (have a look at the stabilisation of video's only to see how darn effective it is), the taptic engine though not a huge deal is a proof of how much thought Apple puts into their product (vibration motor with 3d touch would have been useless because it takes a lot of time relatively speaking to get up to full speed) and then is the battery life, especially with the 6S Plus which even if you are not ultra careful can easily last 2 days with full time 4G data enabled and around 5-6 hours of screen on time.

And saving the best for the last, their excellent customer service. They recently replaced my 2014 MacBook Pro with a 2015 MacBook Pro with twice the SSD size (had 512 and got a 1TB) just because I wasn't happy with the display repairs (two repairs but both of them had a little bit of bleed). Owning an Apple product is an experience matched by few right from using the product to the excellent customer service should there be need. I do not think there is another vendor on planet earth which even comes close.

To judge how far Apple is when it comes to other smartphone vendors, just read this detailed review at Anandtech. Read the part about CPU/GPU and especially the speedy internal storage and how it is not an off the shelf solution. It is closer to a SSD in a laptop than mobile phone MMC storage.
Old 20th November 2015, 20:06   #11072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes, transferring data isnt easy. But how OFTEN do you do it? Outside of pure bluetooth ....
I am replying to whole of your points but have cut the long quote.

About data transfer, I use it everyday and the quantity I transfer between my own devices is so much that bluetooth is not feasible.

24-30 hours Battery, same story like your on mine Moto X with merely 2300mah battery. Its not the specs of the battery which matters here, I already said, its the quality of the device, hardware components and the software optimisation which matters. I am yet to come across other Android OEMs which have understood Android better than them (please refer only Moto flagships, not the Moto mid rangers, though they are also better than many other Androids)

Data security and disabling 'custom keyboards', I was talking about stock Android keyboard options, not the third party keyboard apps. There are endless possibilities with stock keyboard which you get only in pure Android based phones, not in the other 'colored' OS.

If number of photos matter then I took approximately 3000+ pics on my MotoX during my Kashmir trip despite of having my DSLR and four lenses with me. Just today I went with my friend (who is Apple fanboy actually ) on service station to drop his car for service. He was praising his iPhone and I was listening, he took few pics and shouted, the quality of iPhone camera is so much great, look at the details, and he showed me a car parked at some distance where numbers were not visible. That moment I clicked photo of the same scene from same distance and registration number were clearly visible. I forgot to get that full resolution photo taken form that iPhone but have called my friend to send it to me, can post both the picture here for the comparison if asked.

iPhone is great for the tasks it can do but there is much more beyond that. I would also end my post with remark that use a 'quality' Android device (there are very few quality Android devices actually), then only one can know how great the Android experience can be. I have already highlighted rest of the plus points if you have read.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 20th November 2015 at 20:09.
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:13   #11073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Don't buy it. Barring 2G bands, there are no bands that are compatible with Indian operators. 3G in India is delivered on 2100. 4G/LTE on Band 3, 20 and 40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I don't think it will work with our LTE band which is 2300 as it is unlocked for US carrier bands only.
Secondly, why do you want to go to such pains for a 2 year old phone? After customs etc., it would equate to around 17k which is the same as a OnePlus X. Last I checked, Nexus 5 was available for 20k in India.

Also, I doubt Nexus 5 would receive many more software updates from Google. I'd recommend you go for a OnePlus X or even a Moto G3 over this.
Thank you Shipnil and Marauder . Actually I was very impressed with the design and feel of Nexus 5 when it was released back in 2013, so thought of giving it a try . Now after knowing that, it won't be compatible with our bands, I am planning to get Oneplus X.

Regards
Old 24th November 2015, 00:27   #11074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I was inclining towards the Nexus 6P ..
Finally took the plunge and went for a Note 5.

It was a tough call given that Note 4 felt like a compelling buy.
When the time came to choose between the two, the preference leant towards better hardware in the Note 5 (14 NM power-efficient chip design, LP-DDR4 - 4 GB RAM, better s-pen invocation, slightly better camera over Note 4 with f1.9 aperture and non-sliding type finger print scanner) would have been good if Samsung retained the IR-blaster in the latest iteration of Note, opted for the 64 GB variant to offset the lack of SD-Card slot to an extent. Cover is a must as this phone is slippery as an eel with its glass back. Touch-wiz looks very toned down compared to its predecessors.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th November 2015 at 00:33.
Old 24th November 2015, 05:15   #11075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally took the plunge and went for a Note 5.

It was a tough call given that Note 4 felt like a compelling buy.
When the time came to choose between the two, the preference leant towards better hardware in the Note 5 (14 NM power-efficient chip design, LP-DDR4 - 4 GB RAM, better s-pen invocation, slightly better camera over Note 4 with f1.9 aperture and non-sliding type finger print scanner) would have been good if Samsung retained the IR-blaster in the latest iteration of Note, opted for the 64 GB variant to offset the lack of SD-Card slot to an extent. Cover is a must as this phone is slippery as an eel with its glass back. Touch-wiz looks very toned down compared to its predecessors.
Had the Note 5 before I returned it and went for the iPhone 6S Plus. Check if you device has the screen sensitivity issue with S-Pen. I made a video of the same earlier.

This issue and the ram management issue apart, it is a pretty nice device. The fingerprint sensor could be better though. I used to have a lot of mis reads during my time with it. The screen is a gem though and the phone hardly ever warms up. But typical of Samsung's the software is still a lot of bloat and even with an uber powerful hardware, the phone sometimes hangs up, but it is few and far between now.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 24th November 2015 at 05:18.
Old 24th November 2015, 19:57   #11076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
. Check if you device has the screen sensitivity issue with S-Pen.

I used to have a lot of mis reads during my time with it.
the phone sometimes hangs up, but it is few and far between now.
I checked the screen sensitivity and it is consistent throughout the screen (touchwood ).

While registering the fingerprint, the finger has to be scanned in all different ways it would make contact with the sensor during authentication.
Since the area of the home button is smaller than the finger, each scan will record a portion of the total finger print.

When I registered the fingerprint the first time, there were mis-reads as there were un-scanned areas of the finger that was making contact during authentication. I registered again covering all areas of the finger tip that would typically touch the home screen and have no mis-reads now.

Fingers crossed on the hanging part and hope I don't experience it.
As of now, I'm seeing a healthy 1.2 GB free RAM and will try to steer clear of bloating up the phone memory.

One learning I'm going to apply is to never upgrade the OS of this phone.
Always stick to the OS that phone hardware was designed for and came with (I'm going to resist the urge to upgrade the OS)
I progressively lowered my Note 1 experience after upgrading from the tailor made snappy GingerBread to ICS to Jellybean.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20151124192332.jpg  

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th November 2015 at 19:58.
Old 25th November 2015, 05:07   #11077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked the screen sensitivity and it is consistent throughout the screen (touchwood ).
I do not think you have done it in the corners. Just go into the diagnostic mode (the code to be used is there in the video) and then check.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th November 2015 at 08:27. Reason: Trimming quoted content. A long quote inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 29th November 2015, 14:52   #11078
Senior - BHPian

My Nexus 5 gave me a lot of problems with unexpected shutdowns after 18 months and I finally transferred the warranty to Google India and got it replaced. Because I expected this to take time I'd purchased a Lenovo K3 Note. Now I've ended up with 2phones - a K3 and a brand new factory refurbished Nexus 5. I'm debating which one to sell and which one to use. The K3 is decent but has a pathetic camera and lags quite a bit. Should I sell the unused Nexus 3 straight out of the box or sell the used K3?
Old 29th November 2015, 16:53   #11079
Oxy
BHPian

OK I am planning to ditch my year and a half old Moto E first gen. I bought it on the day it launched on Flipkart in May 2014. It has served me well so far, but the measly 4GB internal memory is now feeling inadequate. I am not into apps big time, but the space is less even for the basic ones. Not all apps can be moved to the SD card.

I don't want to spend much, something below 10k would be ideal. I don't care about the OS as well. I am only looking for a good value for money phone.

So far I have shortlisted the Redmi 2 Prime and the Lumia 640. Which one is the better handset overall?

I can stretch my budget only if it is worth it.

Some suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 29th November 2015, 17:44   #11080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

I don't want to spend much, something below 10k would be ideal. I don't care about the OS as well. I am only looking for a good value for money phone.
Which one is the better handset overall?

I can stretch my budget only if it is worth it.

Some suggestions would be appreciated.
I would recommend the below. It would be an ideal "upgrade" and tou still not burning a hole in your pocket.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-1448799282118.jpg  

Old 29th November 2015, 18:45   #11081
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I would recommend the below. It would be an ideal "upgrade" and tou still not burning a hole in your pocket.

Regards,
Thanks for the suggestion. If I may ask, in what way do you think it is better than the Redmi 2 Prime? The RAM and internal memory on this are half of what the Redmi comes with, and still this is more expensive than the Redmi.
Old 30th November 2015, 04:49   #11082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. If I may ask, in what way do you think it is better than the Redmi 2 Prime? The RAM and internal memory on this are half of what the Redmi comes with, and still this is more expensive than the Redmi.
Hi,

I have not used the Redmi so i am not the best person to comment on it. Have used Moto G; Gen 1 and 3. And they are super smooth devices and the plain OS experience is in a different league all togather. The camera is below par on the Moto G as compared to others.

But 9k its worth every penny. Absolutely VFM.

Regards,
Old 30th November 2015, 13:21   #11083
MK3
BHPian

Seems the prices of lumia 950, 950xl are announced, Rs. 43,699 and Rs. 49,399 respectively. Pre-order bookings to start on Monday, to be available from December 11.
IMHO overpriced.
Old 30th November 2015, 20:29   #11084
BHPian

Anyone on OnePlus X taken up the Oxygen OS: 2.1.3 latest upgrade ?
This one is supposed to have resolved the SD card issue.

Wanted to know if it introduced any adverse effects.
Have seen some people rolling back the upgrade as it caused other issues like Lag in scrolling , performance degradation etc.
I guess the new problems it introduced are not worth the benefit of the SD card storage yet.

Will wait and watch

Last edited by Fillmore : 30th November 2015 at 20:36.
Old 30th November 2015, 20:47   #11085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My Nexus 5 .......... I sell the unused Nexus 3 straight out of the box or sell the used K3?
I use a Nexus 5 and if you ask me, stick to the Nexus. Its an old phone but it can hold its ground very well. Other than the battery backup which may have deteriorated in this time, the Nexus 5 is a pretty solid phone. The resale in case you do put it on the block will be about 10K. The contra is that the Lenovo also will not fetch you a lot in case you choose to sell it off. Catch 22 situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks