Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 20:13   #10951
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_traveller View Post
Hi Chetan, did you look at Windows phones? I had a Xperia SL for which I had paid more than 20K when I bought it new a few years back. Within 1.5 years, it started lagging. I could not even place calls peacefully. Have moved to Windows (Lumia 730) 9 months back and its peaceful. No lag and performs all basic operations smoothly. Though Nokia has now stopped, the Microsoft range is good. You will not end up spending more than 15K on a great piece with very good spec. My requirements are similar to yours and my corporate email sync (O365) works like a charm.
Thanks!

The better half just got a Lumia 730, and I like it (esp. the no-fuss, minimalist dark interface) even though WP8.1 has its own quirks compared to how feature-laden Android is. Waiting for her to run it in for a few months and provide a review. I don't like the new Microsoft iterations of mid-range Lumia phones for some reason, compared to the 730 which doesn't look like a mid-ranger from any angle and is a steal at ~13.5 k (including a 32 GB microSD card).

I may end up buying one of these for myself before stocks run out.
Old 8th October 2015, 13:30   #10952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Thanks!

The better half just got a Lumia 730, and I like it (esp. the no-fuss, minimalist dark interface) even though WP8.1 has its own quirks compared to how feature-laden Android is. Waiting for her to run it in for a few months and provide a review. I don't like the new Microsoft iterations of mid-range Lumia phones for some reason, compared to the 730 which doesn't look like a mid-ranger from any angle and is a steal at ~13.5 k (including a 32 GB microSD card).

I agree, the Microsoft hardware and looks (plasticky) is no match to the sturdy build of the Nokia Lumia's. And the 730 was the last and the best piece they launched this side of 15K. Mine is still running quite smoothly. Yes, its not feature laden like an Android but once the novelty factor of a new phone wears down within a few months and you get down to brass tacks of phone operation, a windows phone is anytime better than an Android IMO. The only complain i have is that few apps (online grocery, few food delivery) are still not available on windows and the need to have an old spare Android at home arises.
Old 8th October 2015, 22:30   #10953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
Hi, any one using Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 4GB model?
Please share what's the overall review, is it snappy with 4GB RAM, does it suffer from heating issues, call quality and camera performance.
Thanks in advance,
Roy
Hi Roy - Have been using this for close to a week now. My 2 cents:
1. ZenUI is so basic when compared to MIUI (was using the Redmi note running MIUI 7 Beta)
2. Comes with Lolipop 5.0 and the combination of x86 and 32 bit android is a fiasco when it comes battery life. Moderate usage hardly lasts 12 hours with android consuming ~70% of battery
3. Haven't had heating issues even after gaming for an hour or being on a call for an hour
4. Phone does become warm while charging but that may be due to the 2A fast charger that come with the phone
5. Camera performance is acceptable. Haven't tried low light but works fine during the day
6. Phone is fast as fast can be and does not lag at all

Fix: Rooted the phone and now running CM12.1 Nightly. Asus should have launched this with CM. Improvements:
1. Battery life extended to 24+ hrs with moderate usage
2. CM options & mods light years ahead when compared to ZenUI
3. No bugs/crashes yet but has been only 3 days on CM
4. Using dual sim & everything works fine - WiFi, Data, GPS
5. Need to install an x86 gApps package separately but that's normal for most CM builds

If your budget is in the 18K range, would suggest you look at the Zenfone with the Snapdragon 615 SoC. Should have better battery life without a lot of compromise on speed/multi tasking. But in that case you will be stuck with ZenUI as the ZE551ML is the only phone with a CM12.1 build available. I think the best phone in this budget is the OPO and I am sure it will be on sale during the 13-17th sale.

Last edited by procrj : 8th October 2015 at 22:33.
Old 9th October 2015, 01:03   #10954
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys I'm wanting to shift to Reliance CDMA because of bad coverage. Is there any website online that sells iPhone or Android that can be used on Reliance. I'm looking for high end smartphones which I can use without the worry of jailbreak and upgrading software.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:34   #10955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Hey guys I'm wanting to shift to Reliance CDMA because of bad coverage. Is there any website online that sells iPhone or Android that can be used on Reliance. I'm looking for high end smartphones which I can use without the worry of jailbreak and upgrading software.
The best options would be checking the reliance website and the reliance stores itself. Its not easy to find CDMA smartphones, and they are priced much higher as compared
Old 9th October 2015, 17:10   #10956
BHPian

I have been using BlackBerry Z3 for about an year now. It is an awesome phone. Rugged and reliable. The BlackBerry hub is awesome. Battery backup is far better than any other smartphone in this range. The best part about this phone is the way it feels when you hold it in your hand.
Old 16th October 2015, 21:32   #10957
Distinguished - BHPian

Had recently got a Moto G3. Need help with a couple of functions.

How to ?
1. View files / browse images & recordings on it.
2. When I am in a call, and I get another call, is there a way to send a message to the caller ?
Old 16th October 2015, 21:43   #10958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Had recently got a Moto G3. Need help with a couple of functions.

How to ?
1. View files / browse images & recordings on it.
2. When I am in a call, and I get another call, is there a way to send a message to the caller ?
1. You need to download a file manager from the play store.
2. You need to enable this option from the settings menu.
Old 19th October 2015, 15:01   #10959
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Thanks!

I am planning to get one before the stocks run out as well

The only thing I am not comfortable with is that the Lumia 640 is now available for Rs.7999 at Amazon, which is like some 5k less than the 730. They look pretty much the same feature wise.

Though I would prefer the 730 anyday for the hardware alone, I am not being able to justify the 5k price difference.
Old 19th October 2015, 17:05   #10960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am planning to get one before the stocks run out as well

The only thing I am not comfortable with is that the Lumia 640 is now available for Rs.7999 at Amazon, which is like some 5k less than the 730. They look pretty much the same feature wise.

Though I would prefer the 730 anyday for the hardware alone, I am not being able to justify the 5k price difference.
We bought the wife's 730 from a B&M store (640 is only available online, only the XL version is available in-store and what we saw didn't impress either of us) and managed a lower price than what's being quoted online. We also got some wallet app discounts that will amount to about 3.5k over a year (which she uses to pay her phone bills), so all inclusive it cost us about 9K. Well worth the money!

The 730 is classy and understated, IMO much better built than the 640 and the selfie cam is 5MP compared to the 640's measly 1MP (if that's a criteria for you). It misses out on a couple of software goodies (glance screen to name one, not a deal-breaker for us) compared to 640, but I'm still planning on buying one for myself unless the wife reports something really negative about it.

With her usage (calls, moderate email/texting/whatsapp/browsing and 3G data on ~80% of the time), she's been charging it only every third day. Which Android/iOS device with a 2200mAH battery can manage that, while looking like it costs 3 times what it actually does?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th October 2015 at 17:14.
Old 20th October 2015, 09:36   #10961
BHPian

Hey folks! Did anyone get the free Mi4i screen guard from the MI website? If yes then how many days do they take to deliver it?

-Bhargav
Old 20th October 2015, 15:34   #10962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hey folks! Did anyone get the free Mi4i screen guard from the MI website? If yes then how many days do they take to deliver it?

-Bhargav
I remember getting it after 20 days from the date of submitting the details in their website. Got the screen guard for both of my orders [Redmi 2 & Mi4i]. Recently they even sent a case for Redmi 2 as another freebie but it was in pink color
Old 20th October 2015, 18:45   #10963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Fix: Rooted the phone and now running CM12.1 Nightly. Asus should have launched this with CM. Improvements:
1. Battery life extended to 24+ hrs with moderate usage
2. CM options & mods light years ahead when compared to ZenUI
3. No bugs/crashes yet but has been only 3 days on CM
4. Using dual sim & everything works fine - WiFi, Data, GPS
5. Need to install an x86 gApps package separately but that's normal for most CM builds
Hadn't seen this post! Yes, even I am looking to root and run my phone on CM or some other ROM. Mine is the ZE551ML - 2GB version. I also don't like the ZenUI and moved to NovaLauncher.

Where did you download the ROM off - xda?

Any idea if the update to Lollipop will be out any time?
Old 20th October 2015, 18:59   #10964
BHPian

Guys! I have this certain lag after updating my Moto G3!
It was performing flawlessly till I hit the update button!
Any help? Should I reset? Or wait for Marshmallow update? Or wait for a patch-up?
I am a type of person who wants things to run smoothly! At-least for an year from the date of purchase!
Sharing the video, pardon its quality!
Old 20th October 2015, 19:02   #10965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Any help? Should I reset?
That was the first thing you should have performed before and after the firmware upgrade. Factory reset will help you sorting out most of the bugs and will make your phone run smoothly for most of the time but won't fully make it fully bug free until you get 5.1 or Marshmallow update.

Most Viewed