Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 17:44   #10906
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I recently bought a Moto G (2nd Gen ) on flip kart just before the 3rd gen was released. The screen sometimes goes blank when receiving a call and no tricks worked to switch on the screen and answer the call.

I had to hold the power button and reboot the phone. This happened occasionally and quite frequently ( once a day or every 2nd day ).
I requested a return on Flipkart. The customer care called me and initiated a online test at the end of which they send me a mail rejecting a return request!

I am livid and this is the last phone I'm buying on Flipkart.
This sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Have you put a non-standard scratch guard? or a custom ROM? What did the service center say?
Old 16th August 2015, 17:50   #10907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Have you put a non-standard scratch guard? or a custom ROM? What did the service center say?
no scratchgards were used. I used only a flip cover. It was on the stock rom.
I haven't found time to send it to the service centre.
OT what is a non-standard scratch guard?
Old 16th August 2015, 17:52   #10908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
no scratchgards were used. I used only a flip cover. It was on the stock rom.
I haven't found time to send it to the service centre.
OT what is a non-standard scratch guard?
In the motorola defy, if you had a scratch guard covering the proximity sensor then the screen wouldnt switch on. It would assume that it is against the face. So you needed a scratch guard which had a cutout for the proximity senso.
Old 16th August 2015, 17:55   #10909
BHPian

Quote:
In the motorola defy, if you had a scratch guard covering the proximity sensor then the screen wouldnt switch on. It would assume that it is against the face. So you needed a scratch guard which had a cutout for the proximity senso.
That is really news to me! THanks.
Old 24th August 2015, 22:28   #10910
Distinguished - BHPian

So I am in a predicament of sorts. Currently using two phones - an iPhone 5S, and a HTC One M8.
All of my apps - like games, TBHP, etc. - are on my M8, whereas the iPhone is primarily used for photos, whatsapp, phones, and emails. However, the lack of a good battery is a bummer and every now and then I start wondering about replacing it. More specifically with a Q10.
As a BB Bold user, I really enjoyed typing emails and messages on the keypad and found it more efficient than a touch. The Q10 would also solve my battery issues, and give me expandable memory. Given my basic usage - does this make sense, or should I listen to all my friends who are questioning my sanity?
Old 25th August 2015, 23:45   #10911
BHPian

I was planning on getting an HTC Desire 820S. I've heard a lot about overheating issues.

I am not a heavy gamer. Uses include mostly - a lot of internet browsing, whatsapp, and some mild gaming.

Do I have something to worry about? Also, any other issues with the phone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th August 2015, 01:22   #10912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
So I am in a predicament of sorts. Currently using two phones - an iPhone 5S, and a HTC One M8.
All of my apps - like games, TBHP, etc. - are on my M8, whereas the iPhone is primarily used for photos, whatsapp, phones, and emails. However, the lack of a good battery is a bummer and every now and then I start wondering about replacing it. More specifically with a Q10.
As a BB Bold user, I really enjoyed typing emails and messages on the keypad and found it more efficient than a touch. The Q10 would also solve my battery issues, and give me expandable memory. Given my basic usage - does this make sense, or should I listen to all my friends who are questioning my sanity?
Screw that advise. most people havent used a Q10. Its a nice phone just as long as you are happy with the OEM apps. Many of my business associates who are happy with it are the non-app-folks.

Get it if its coming cheap! else wait for the venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post
I was planning on getting an HTC Desire 820S. I've heard a lot about overheating issues.

I am not a heavy gamer. Uses include mostly - a lot of internet browsing, whatsapp, and some mild gaming.

Do I have something to worry about? Also, any other issues with the phone?

Thanks in advance.
I've had it for two months now. Very nice handset except for an average indoor/low-light camera (the S3 is better). No lag at all, very decent full day battery.

The size takes getting used to - almost as large as Nexus 6.

My only gripe? I can't set the 3G to 3G-only i.e it keeps switching over to 2G when 3G drops - which is often for Airtel. Big pain while tethering. I think most phones will have such config issues except rooted handsets (like my S3) - just keep that in mind.
Old 26th August 2015, 08:35   #10913
BHPian

Quote:
My only gripe? I can't set the 3G to 3G-only i.e it keeps switching over to 2G when 3G drops - which is often for Airtel. Big pain while tethering. I think most phones will have such config issues except rooted handsets (like my S3) - just keep that in mind.
type this code in dialer: *#*#4636#*#*
See if it opens some options on your phone, if so then you can set the network preference at there. But be careful with rest of the settings and take note of what you are changing so that you can correct it back in case something goes wrong.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:43   #10914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
type this code in dialer: *#*#4636#*#*
See if it opens some options on your phone, if so then you can set the network preference at there. But be careful with rest of the settings and take note of what you are changing so that you can correct it back in case something goes wrong.
That is exactly what I use for "3G only" mode. However, inspite of that I see the E sign come up in weak signal areas.

Whereas in my CM10.3 S3, once I put it in 3G-only, i will either get H or nothing at all - but no E sign.

I've given up on that now.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:52   #10915
Senior - BHPian

Guys any review on LG G Flex 2? I am getting a brand new one for fairly cheap. Wanted to know how good or bad the phone is.
Old 26th August 2015, 11:42   #10916
Senior - BHPian

I've registered for the Lenovo K3 note sale and am tempted to buy it. Overall reviews are OK - some bloatware and some heating issues. Have any of you used it?
Old 26th August 2015, 12:00   #10917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Screw that advise. most people havent used a Q10. Its a nice phone just as long as you are happy with the OEM apps. Many of my business associates who are happy with it are the non-app-folks.

Get it if its coming cheap! else wait for the venice
Thanks!
I actually saw a Classic yesterday and was quite impressed. The feedback i received also was quite promising - with regards to emails, and blackberry hub, etc.
As mentioned earlier - I have an android for all the apps, and I feel the BB will complement it quite nicely as a work phone! Plus no more lugging around multiple chargers - the same micro-usb will be a boon when I travel as it would charge both the phones, and even my camera.
Old 26th August 2015, 13:47   #10918
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Have any of you used it?
I bought Lenovo K3 Note costing ₹ 9,999 in the second flash sale of Flipkart. After a few days, the selfie camera ceased to work; took it to Lenovo service centre and got it rectified immediately. I am using it as my navigator and HUD for many hours continuously without any heating issues. I bought a micro SD of 16 GB and expanded the total storage to 32 GB.

Old 26th August 2015, 15:31   #10919
BHPian

My woes with the Sony z3 compact don't seem to end. About two months ago, my z3 compact died while writing an email. I took it to the service centre which said the motherboard had burnt out and so I left it there.

A week later, I enquired about it and was told it would take another 2-3 weeks to be fixed as the parts hadn't come from Sweden. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 and forgot the Sony. A month later, the service center called to say that the handset was ready. I picked it up and it seemed to work.

Given that I'd changed my sim back to a micro-sim from nano, I left the z3 in my drawer. A friend asked to borrow it while his iPhone was getting its battery changed yesterday.

We turned it on and noticed the camera was throwing up black images. And then we noticed that the handset would turn off on its own after 5 minutes and not come back on.

I called Sony who said I'd have to take it back to the service centre and get it checked. I've given up on it and so the point of this long post is just to inform anyone considering the handset to beware. S5 with an extended battery Solves all my problems. It's a bit laggy but works!
Old 26th August 2015, 15:34   #10920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
My woes with the Sony z3 compact don't seem to end. About two months ago, my z3 compact died while writing an email. I took it to the service centre which said the motherboard had burnt out and so I left it there.

A week later, I enquired about it and was told it would take another 2-3 weeks to be fixed as the parts hadn't come from Sweden. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 and forgot the Sony. A month later, the service center called to say that the handset was ready. I picked it up and it seemed to work.
Interesting that it took Sony such a long turnaround time. This isn't the first time I am hearing about it also.
In comparison, my Moto X had a crashed motherboard as well, but was returned within 2 days which is impressive given it was mainly sold online and met with below average success!
Thanks for sharing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks