Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 03:22   #10891
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
How easy is it migrate to a windows phone. Can I transfer my Google contacts easily? YES
Are there the usual apps ?
Define usual. Do remember their update freq/maturity wont be as much as iphone / android.
Old 12th August 2015, 11:32   #10892
Senior - BHPian

Managed to crack the glass on my Nexus 5.

It fell from a height of around 2 feet onto the floor and landed on its corner which left a very think crack from the corner to the opposite side. It can be seen only from an angle and not otherwise .
Checked with the shop I bought it from and they quoted around 6k for the replacement.
I'm hesitant on giving it for a replacement since I don't want it returned with the glass replaced but everything else damaged in the process of replacing the glass.
The crack is not affecting the touch in that area . ,so I have left it as it is.

Is there anyway getting this fixed if i want to and get the phone to how it was.
Old 12th August 2015, 12:32   #10893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I'd cracked the glass on my Nexus-4, and unfortunately the touch screen packed up though the display was intact. Got it replaced by ToToodo in Koramangala, for approx 6k. They did a fine job as my phone was back to business without any fuss and without any other damage. On a later date, I opened up the phone when it died of water ingress, but was surprised to find that the screen replacement was done impeccably. The wife's Moto happened to get a cracked screen, thanks to a playful kid who decided to bang the phone on the floor. Surprisingly, the display as well as the touch-screen were intact, with only the visible cracks and one or two tiny loose shards of glass causing a rough surface. I applied a matt-finish screen-guard to avoid the loose shards of glass causing damage to the fingers. No complaints until now, and we saved 3-4k

Last edited by silversteed : 12th August 2015 at 12:34.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:00   #10894
BHPian

Planning to buy a tablet for parents, preferably 10 inch and budget less than 15K. Zeroed in on HP Tablet 10 which sells around 12K online. Was tempted by Lenovo 7 inch Tab 2 3G which sells for 7K. But thought bigger the screen better for aged people. Can I go ahead, any suggestions?
Old 14th August 2015, 01:08   #10895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

It fell from a height of around 2 feet onto the floor and landed on its corner which left a very think crack from the corner to the opposite side. It can be seen only from an angle and not otherwise .
Checked with the shop I bought it from and they quoted around 6k for the replacement.
I'm hesitant on giving it for a replacement since I don't want it returned with the glass replaced but everything else damaged in the process of replacing the glass.
The crack is not affecting the touch in that area . ,so I have left it as it is.

Is there anyway getting this fixed if i want to and get the phone to how it was.
LG Service centre, Its gonna cost you approx 7k for the screen as they gonna replace the whole assembly.
Old 14th August 2015, 08:20   #10896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Planning to buy a tablet for parents, preferably 10 inch and budget less than 15K. Zeroed in on HP Tablet 10 which sells around 12K online. Was tempted by Lenovo 7 inch Tab 2 3G which sells for 7K. But thought bigger the screen better for aged people. Can I go ahead, any suggestions?
I too picked a tab for my mom.. Now she is on her second one which is nexus 7. And my experience - based on her usage, I think 7 inch Tab would be more comfortable and handy than 10inch ones. Readability etc is not actually a concern.
Old 14th August 2015, 14:14   #10897
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
What is the purpose? Is it video callings? If yes, you need a good front camera.
Old 14th August 2015, 16:15   #10898
BHPian

Thanks Vignesh and S_U_N.
The purpose is web browsing, youtube, movies and music from SD card and occasional photos. No heavy games, video chat or calls. I will go with 7 or 8 inch then. Any recommendations? Budget is 7 to 12K, Max 15K.
Old 14th August 2015, 22:11   #10899
Senior - BHPian

Continuing my hunt, I saw the Redmi mi4 and mi4i. Saw the differences in their specs, but can't figure out which will be better. How are they compared to the Redmi note 4g. Looks like the note 4g is discontinued.
Old 14th August 2015, 23:54   #10900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the purpose? Is it video callings? If yes, you need a good front camera.
Agreed but bandwidth is a bigger issue. My BIL's iPhone 4 does better calls on facetime to my ipad than my SIL's A6000+ / Lenovo laptop on skype. somehow apple manages the video quality better there. Its not something that's easily controllable.

Quote:
Thanks Vignesh and S_U_N.
The purpose is web browsing, Youtube, movies and music from SD card and occasional photos. No heavy games, video chat or calls. I will go with 7 or 8 inch then. Any recommendations? Budget is 7 to 12K, Max 15K.
MiPad?

Quote:
Continuing my hunt, I saw the Redmi mi4 and mi4i. Saw the differences in their specs, but can't figure out which will be better. How are they compared to the Redmi note 4g. Looks like the note 4g is discontinued.
MI4I for dual sim else MI4 for outright last-year-flagship performance. Both are quite comparable with the difference being camera and metal body AND ONE GB more of RAM . More RAM is always welcome.

Sis was similarly confused and finally went with MI4. She's very happy with it even though post exchange it costed her 3k more.
Old 15th August 2015, 20:31   #10901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
MI4I for dual sim else MI4 for outright last-year-flagship performance..
Also noticed mi4i has 4G support.
Old 15th August 2015, 21:10   #10902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also noticed mi4i has 4G support.
True. It does have its use.

Though, personally, after using Airtel 4G extensively, I am ready to trade in my SIM for a 4G-disabled SIM. 4G signal is shoddy in most places, even outdoors, and indoors you are guaranteed to get 50% bars. The voice quality is not even worth discussing about.

So the best option is to have a 4G SIM for data, and a 2G SIM for calling. Then yes, the MI4I is a far better option than the MI4.
Old 15th August 2015, 21:15   #10903
BHPian

Are you guys waiting for Redmi Note 2 Prime?
The Specs seem good for the pricier.
Old 16th August 2015, 01:25   #10904
BHPian

Moto G (3rd gen) is an awesome phone. Motorola has done it again. The camera is especially brilliant for a budget phone.
Old 16th August 2015, 15:30   #10905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirban001 View Post
Moto G (3rd gen) is an awesome phone. Motorola has done it again. The camera is especially brilliant for a budget phone.
I recently bought a Moto G (2nd Gen ) on flip kart just before the 3rd gen was released. The screen sometimes goes blank when receiving a call and no tricks worked to switch on the screen and answer the call.

I had to hold the power button and reboot the phone. This happened occasionally and quite frequently ( once a day or every 2nd day ).
I requested a return on Flipkart. The customer care called me and initiated a online test at the end of which they send me a mail rejecting a return request!

I am livid and this is the last phone I'm buying on Flipkart.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks