Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 15:53   #10786
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Hi all,

Am in look out for a good and reliable CDMA handset which is falling under 15K budget. As everybody knows the CDMA handsets are getting extinct from open hand sets. My previous favorites are Samsung and Micromax but both didn't last few months more than their warranty period. Samsung doesn't have any CDMA handsets anymore and MMX also follows the same pattern. My last phone MMX (AE90) was with me for a few months and it went off all of a sudden and now MMX offers a replacement but not a CDMA I had send an email to MMX stating that the GSM replacement will be pointless as I can’t use with my CDMA connection, for which am yet to get a reply from them.

So can anybody guide me to get a decent CDMA handset in the above budget (15K)? I can't think of my MTS connection to port to GSM network as the rates are so cheap than any other network. Google says almost all reputed brands are backing off from CDMA handsets due to the huge CDMA-GSM migration rates. Very few like HTC, ZTE still out in the market but they are also no exception with Samy and MMX when it comes to customer satisfaction. I have zeroed my choice MTS Blaze 5.0 but there also satisfaction rates are poor. Anybody using open handsets here, if so please share your feedback.

I couldn't find any specific thread for this hence posting it here.

Thanks in advance.
I recently experimented with Reliance CDMA on my Motorola Droid Maxx.
This being a Verizon global phone has support for GSM and CDMA (with SIM).
It took more more than 10 days of real effort to get data working on the phone. Now, 1x and EVDO both work.
Reliance data rates are very cheap.

A second hand Droid Ultra (which is just like Maxx), but with lower battery capacity would fall under your budget.

RimWeb.in is a forum where you have sellers selling CDMA handsets at all price points.

(I am not a seller).

Last edited by S_U_N : 5th June 2015 at 15:54.
Old 6th June 2015, 09:38   #10787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
If you think you can extend your budget to somewhere about 32k, then get the Xperia Z3 Compact eyes closed.

Read the reviews online. It's an engineering marvel, considering the specs Sony has managed to put into a phone of that compact size.
Sorry, 32k is way out of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
For the form factor I definitely will. The mi4 does not have 4g supported in India only the polycarbonate mi4i ( only 16gb) is available. A female friend got the same after weeks of discussion as the one plus was too big for her looking. She fell for the 6.7mm thick metal bodied A5. Do give it a look.
4G is a must since she will be using the phone in Dubai.

Thank you, I will have a look at the A5 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
Battery life and heating were issues with the initial lollipop release where the system calibrations of battery take some time to settle with the ART runtime. this generally does disappear within a few days of rigorous use of the phone. Even the N5, N6 faced this issue with the Lollipop release.

As per my knowledge camera performance is also better than most other phones in that price range.
Thank you for that clarification. My initial choice was the HTC 826 especially since it's a new phone and comes with Lollipop out of the box.

Have a front 13 MP cam does have it's benefits for the girls!
Old 8th June 2015, 19:03   #10788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Please suggest a reliable & budget power-bank for android smartphone.
define reliable? budget?

else I am REALLY happy with mi power bank. Best part? Pass through charging. It gets charged at 2A or so easily with my wife's oneplus charger (chinese ones charge slower) and at the same time can charge my galaxy S3 at 1A (chinese will either get charged or can charge, not do both at once)

10400 mah has only one USB (999rs). 16000 mah (~1400) has two ports.

Folks,

Can someone please advise on a reliable rugged dual sim dumb phone (candy bar form) with large font functionality for my mother. Good battery backup is important but good sound quality (not very loud - just good network strength) is essential.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th June 2015, 19:18   #10789
BHPian

[quote=

Folks,

Can someone please advise on a reliable rugged dual sim dumb phone (candy bar form) with large font functionality for my mother. Good battery backup is important but good sound quality (not very loud - just good network strength) is essential.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Look no further tha Iball Asaan. It is designed specifically for older people. Large fonts, dual sim, has a torch inbuilt and most importantly has a huge keypad

Linky:
http://www.flipkart.com/iball-senior...er=from-search

Another option would be Philips Xenius 2566. Same features, with a slightly larger screen.

http://www.flipkart.com/philips-xeni...er=from-search

Last edited by adg_andy : 8th June 2015 at 19:21.
Old 10th June 2015, 18:10   #10790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Look no further tha Iball Asaan. It is designed specifically for older people. Large fonts, dual sim, has a torch inbuilt and most importantly has a huge keypad

Linky:
http://www.flipkart.com/iball-senior...er=from-search

Another option would be Philips Xenius 2566. Same features, with a slightly larger screen.

http://www.flipkart.com/philips-xeni...er=from-search
Hi,

Xenius was out of stock and mom wasnt convinced courtesy some of the -ve reviews of aasaan in particular, reg the font.

In the end mom went to her neighboing stores with sis and picked up a Nokia 215. It has no noise cancellation but the audio in general is OUTSTANDING!

Thanks all the same.
Old 10th June 2015, 21:29   #10791
BHPian

Hello
Have a problem with a new HTC 826. It seems be in a vibrating frenzy, despite all vibrating settings switched off. Vibrates on every mail, SMS and Whatasapp message. Anyone has any idea how to tackle this issue. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2015, 22:25   #10792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Hello
Have a problem with a new HTC 826. It seems be in a vibrating frenzy, despite all vibrating settings switched off. Vibrates on every mail, SMS and Whatasapp message. Anyone has any idea how to tackle this issue. Thanks.
Try this..goto Settings > Accessibility and turn off "Reminder for notifications".
Hopefully it should solve your problem.
Old 11th June 2015, 12:27   #10793
BHPian

Hi Tech gurus,

Need advice on Yu Yuphoria..
Planning to buy it from Amazon today, so a bit urgent
Usage: Moderate with few regular apps along with few games.
Camera usage will be extensive.

Few points of concern as I was going through the reveiws:

1. Heating issues: While I accept that most phones get heated up a bit while charging, few owners have reported that temp soars till 80 c during heating.

3. Display specs look good in paper, but any idea on how the actual display is?

2. Reliability of YU: I know yureka had a lot of issues pertaining to battery life, has those problems been fixed in Yuphoria?

3. Are there service centres of YU in Bangalore... was going through thier doorstep service model.. is it reliable and on time?

4. Phone will be used across the day in very less signal strenth, is the antenna reception adequate for this?

5. Phone has quick charging feature, can it share the common charging cable and still quick charge?

http://www.gsmarena.com/yu_yuphoria-7241.php

The looks and the specs are really mouthwatering from price point, but still unable to take a leap for this since reveiws are very less. SO please help me out.

Thanks

Last edited by adhiraj : 11th June 2015 at 12:31.
Old 11th June 2015, 13:24   #10794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Hi Tech gurus,

Need advice on Yu Yuphoria..
Hey! I have been using this phone since two days now and I have no major issues. I am a heavy user. I use apps to read books, half an hour gaming session, random selfies and videos. It's a great phone, although I'd have liked the accessories which they provide us would have been of better quality. But, no issues.

Coming to your concerns:

1. Heating is a problem, true. It gets heated up around the earpiece area if you're on the phone with your girlfriend or client for more than an hour. It gets less heated up in an air conditioned room. To be honest, every other phone gets heated up. It just depends on how often you're using it and if you're gonna use the phone while charging, it obviously will heat up.

2. Battery life is good, could've been better. One full charge can last for a day with moderate usage.

3. The display is amazing as far as the ppi is concerned. Viewing angles are okay.

4. The doorstep service where I live in Mumbai is available, you'll have to check on its website for that under the customer support section.

5. I don't know about the antenna reception as of now. The quick charging feature works. But I'd recommend you to charge till 90%, if not more or complete 100, because it will drain less power. But, you can switch on to the power saver mode, that helps too.

You should buy this phone, it's good and packs a punch in almost every aspect considering it's price and other competitors. Good luck! I love my Yu!

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2015 at 13:31. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted posts.
Old 11th June 2015, 18:39   #10795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I looking for a good all rounder smart phone with lollipop, under 10K.

The priorities would be rich and clear fast, memory, good display, good battery life and preferably "unbreakable"..

Any suggestions, I intend to buy in the 2nd half of June, so anything that releases around that time is also fine.
As happens in the ice section, after reading a lot of reviews and trying to weigh the options, I finally purchased a Zenphone 2 4GB version, and a Yu Yuphoria

I received this today, and would take some time to see how it performs. While checking the phones, I also wanted a 4G phone with Lollipop out of the box.
Old 13th June 2015, 17:59   #10796
BHPian

Quick question guys, what's the best place to get an Galaxy S6 right now? My mom just broke her phone yesterday and she wants another smartphone replacing her old HTC One X.

Lowest size is good enough and they start with 32 I believe. The cheapest I can find online is around 40k, give or take 500 depending on the color. Is it cheaper in stores or should I just buy it online?
Old 13th June 2015, 22:51   #10797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Quick question guys, what's the best place to get an Galaxy S6 right now? My mom just broke her phone yesterday and she wants another smartphone replacing her old HTC One X.

Lowest size is good enough and they start with 32 I believe. The cheapest I can find online is around 40k, give or take 500 depending on the color. Is it cheaper in stores or should I just buy it online?
Prices are almost similar online and direct retail.
Old 14th June 2015, 09:45   #10798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Prices are almost similar online and direct retail.
Alright thanks.

Would warranties affect if you buy it from a reseller through either Amazon or Flipkart?
Old 14th June 2015, 09:50   #10799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Alright thanks.

Would warranties affect if you buy it from a reseller through either Amazon or Flipkart?
Samsung doesn't deny the online portal purchases.. Should be with vat paid bill.. Amazon and Flipkart are fine.
Old 17th June 2015, 19:54   #10800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
I don't have any personal experience with it. But have seen the reviews are consistently positive.
And so i decided against the buy from US purchase.

Simply browsing through our desi portal found Alcatel 2010D and bought it @2999. Superb voice clarity and catches BSNL signal with 3 bars vs nokia 1 bar. So the radio / hardware seems to be good.@Simple phone works for me.

Cheers
Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks