Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 22:44   #10756
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
My Samsung Note 2 would not charge fully even after leaving to charge overnight, in switched off state, from low battery. If the battery level is like 20% or less, even overnight charging doesn't fully charge it by the time I have to leave for office - around 8-9 hours.

Another friend had once mentions similar problems which resolved when using a different USB cable. So I tried the same, bought a new USB cable (the shopkeeper claimed it was HTC, no branding on the clear plastic), and it does work better.
Even so, it takes 2+ hours to charge from low battery state (10-12%), and seems to take longest for the last 2-3% - the display is near 100% green but charging lamp is still red (green lamp = fully charged).

Is there a faster way to charge the Samsung?
Check the Galaxy charging current apps to see actual current today.
In my experience, old chargers can give 100-900mA to charge my S3 while an unused charger gives my phone 700-900 mA while the wife's OPO charger gives 1000 mA.

Just using any charger won't work IMO. Buy another OEM charger ideally. Here's what XDA says for S4 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2274321
Quote:
the phone will ONLY charge at full current (which as I have measured so far, depending on what the phone regulates it to, typically sits in the region of 1.2 - 1.5A), when using the supplied charger (or possibly one of equal or higher current rating, depending on how it's configured internally), AND the supplied usb cable, OR any other usb cable, provided its shielding (the metal outer surface of the connectors) is connected at BOTH ends of the cable. Use a cable that doesn't have this shielding, and the charge current drops, regardless of whether there is plenty of current available or not. Use a different charger with an unshielded cable and the current drops even more, again regardless of whether it can supply plenty more current.

After doing some probing around with a meter, I have managed to find a slight difference with the charger itself, compared to a generic one. In a generic one, the two data pins are usually just shorted together, which tells most phones that it's a mains charger rather than a USB port. On the Samsung one on the other hand, the pins appear to be shorted together, and also connected via resistors across the supply line (known as a potential divider), which holds these shorted data pins at a certain voltage. This is what tells the phone what sort of charger it's connected to.

Charger.................... Cable................ Current (A)
=====================================
HTC 1A.................Generic..................... 0.5
HTC 1A.................Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 1A...............Generic......................0.5
Apple 1A...............Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 2.4A............Generic......................0.6
Apple 2.4A............Samsung S4..............1.3

Samsung S4.........Generic...................... 0.8
Samsung S4.........Samsung S4...............1.3
Old 21st May 2015, 22:57   #10757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
You can try using any 2.1 Amp charger coupled with a better quality cable. A portronics brand charger with a bandridge/boat brand USB cable -snip-

Technically speaking, the initial 80% charge happens quickest and the last 5% takes the longest
The other thing to note is the age of your battery.
Thanks, I will look up those brands. I am using a new OEM battery too, it's over a year old but being the alternate, it's been used quite a bit less than the one original packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Check the Galaxy charging current apps to see actual current today.

Just using any charger won't work IMO. Buy another OEM charger ideally. Here's what XDA says for S4 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2274321
Thanks, I'll try that app though I normally charge in switched off state.
I am using the Samsung OE charger, which is rated 2A. Changing the cable did work, though 2+ hours is still a bit long.
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:46   #10758
BHPian

Wify lost her phone so have ordered Mi 4i .

On paper it is comparable to iphone 6 and cost around 12,999.
this is my first time buy of a Chinese photo ( hated MicroMax but no disrespect ) due to display so keeping my fingers crossed.

please post any review if some one has any experience.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 22nd May 2015 at 18:47.
Old 25th May 2015, 17:43   #10759

Yu Yurophia on the way . The specifications are mind blowing . A must buy for all the tech geeks out there who want to fiddle with the workings of their operating system .
Old 27th May 2015, 02:13   #10760

Should one buy a 4G phone now or wait for Reliance Jio's launch which is rumored to launch mobile sets too ?
Old 27th May 2015, 16:35   #10761
BHPian

Happened to migrate from Android device to Windows (newly launched Microsoft Lumia 532) this Gudipadwa (late Mar/Apr-15).

Could take advantage of Gudipadwa special offer in Nokia Store Thane, Lumia 532 costed Rs. 6200 (received 16GB SD Card, Scrtach Guard and Cover complimentary as part of special offer).

Sharing some experience/insight based on usage over last couple of months,

- Could easily synch-up my office e-mails/calendar, as well as Gmail

- Microsoft OneDrive (cloud solution) is very easy to use and I received 30GB of free cloud storage space. Photos/contacts get backup automatically to cloud. I find OneDrive very useful. I can quickly create folders on One Drive, move photos and share link with my contacts.

- Am no fan of apps/games, whatever basic apps I need are already there on phone or available on store.

- Lumia Storyteller is a useful apps to quickly upload and share photo weblinks with your friends/relatives

- HereDrive / HereMaps apps are very useful, have downloaded 1.2 GB of India Maps in phone, with that GPS works even when data connection isn't there. Completed 5000KMs trip up north recently guided by HereDrive.

- TrueCaller is another built-in app which am finding very useful to find identity of unknown numbers and save valid ones in my addressbook with one touch.

- Battery lasts 2 days (though it's just 1400-1500 mah)

- Phone has 5MP read camera and VGA front camera. One of the drawback with camera is, no Zoom, no Flash, however, those weren't really high on my priority list.

- My main reason to go for this was due to it's Perfect Size, Thickness, Decent Build Quality/Design, OS, Free 30GB Cloud Storage, Free MS Office, Decent Hardware (1.2GHz Quadcore, 1 GB RAM, 8 GB built storage) and availability required built in Apps.

Considering money you pay for the phone, believe it offers unbelievable value.

Would highly recommend Microsoft Lumia 532 to anyone fade up with Android and looking out for a punchy/VFM budget Smart phone.
Old 29th May 2015, 10:15   #10762
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good power bank of high capacity. Wired or portable does not matter. Even cost but it has to be among the best. Need it for charging multiple devices (mainly mobile phone and ipad) at the same time.
Old 30th May 2015, 21:09   #10763
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I am looking for a sturdy backup phone for myself. After searching a lot i found to my liking
N95, N76, Nokia Mural 6750.

I saw some ads in olx and quikr in Pune. What do you think? are they worth buying today still?

Cheers
Rahul
Old 30th May 2015, 21:48   #10764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Can someone suggest a good power bank of high capacity. Wired or portable does not matter. Even cost but it has to be among the best. Need it for charging multiple devices (mainly mobile phone and ipad) at the same time.
I don't know if they are on sale yet but Mi has just announced 16000mAh power bank that is slimmer in size. Let me find a link for you.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...n-india-697522
Old 31st May 2015, 16:46   #10765
BHPian

Quote:
You could look at the Oneplus power bank, it has 2 usb outputs, or if you can wait then the Mi 16000mAh power bank will be launched on 9th June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a sturdy backup phone for myself. After searching a lot i found to my liking
N95, N76, Nokia Mural 6750.

I saw some ads in olx and quikr in Pune. What do you think? are they worth buying today still?
What?? Those are almost 6-7 year old phones. Are they giving them away for free? I doubt those phones would be in proper working condition.

You'd be better off with some cheap feature phone that has been launched recently.
Old 31st May 2015, 17:16   #10766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
rule out the mi devices. they only have 1 port. Thats the only issue I had with the ultra VFM 10400 mah Mi device.

Choose something which has sufficient juice - many say two outputs (2.1A/1A) but it turns out that their total current handling capacity is actually limited to 2.1A meaning with two devices connected, none is getting its rated current. I know my cheap ambrane had this one failing only!
Old 1st June 2015, 01:48   #10767
BHPian

Quote:
rule out the mi devices. they only have 1 port. Thats the only issue I had with the ultra VFM 10400 mah Mi device.

Choose something which has sufficient juice - many say two outputs (2.1A/1A) but it turns out that their total current handling capacity is actually limited to 2.1A meaning with two devices connected, none is getting its rated current. I know my cheap ambrane had this one failing only!
The new ones have multiple ports, check the link I posted few posts above.

Quote:
The 16000mAh power bank features two USB 2.0 ports, one Micro-USB port and gives 5.1V/3.6A max output. Measuring 145×60.4×22mm, the power bank weighs 350 grams and delivers a conversion rate of up to 93 percent. According to the company, the portable charger can offer 3.5 full charges for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G, which is backed by a 3100mAh battery.
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:57   #10768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not too expensive?
Lenovo Powerbank 10400
http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-PA10400-...ILE+POWER+BANK
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:37   #10769
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Not too expensive?
Lenovo Powerbank 10400
http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-PA10400-...ILE+POWER+BANK
This one looks better:

http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-PA13000-...J9DNBKTAT8BQYX
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:16   #10770
Senior - BHPian

My fiancee is looking for a new phone. Budget is anywhere between 18k to 24k.

Priorities -
  • Has to be an Android
  • Good camera
  • Decent memory space
Her usage is simple - phone calls, whatsapp and the likes. A good front camera will be a bonus (for selfies!) but not a necessity.

No used phones... Can you guys give some suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks