Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 17:37   #10741
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
You should wait for the Moto G 3rd gen. There was a news article that it was accidentally displayed on the flipkart site. The launch should be sometime soon hopefully.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Flipk...Moto-G_id69291
I too noticed it, and made a quick check. Looks like its been removed. So now I am not sure if it was manual error (though numerous sites have quoted it, but they all point to the same source), or really they intend to release it. Right now i have narrowed it down to Moto G and Zenfone 2(4gb / 32GB). I have gone crazy reading all the reviews.

I would wait till middle of next month, and would be getting one of the two.
Old 18th May 2015, 19:24   #10742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hello again,
The iPhone bug has bit me again. Way back in 2013, I had fell in love with the iPhone. Well now, it's again the same situation. I was looking at the iPhone 4S at Flipkart. Its available for a mere 13K bucks.

Neel

'Tis way outdated.

Besides - Majority of the crucial; most essential apps on the Store are paid. Not only that; you're supposed to mention your account number (or credit card number; IIRC); while making an Apple account.

Support for the product in question is non existent.

I'm an habitual Apple user. The products feel awesome; but apart from the feel; Android and even Windows (in some cases) beats that damn iOS hollow.

I find Windows awesome.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 18th May 2015 at 19:26.
Old 18th May 2015, 22:04   #10743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
'Tis way outdated.

Besides - Majority of the crucial; most essential apps on the Store are paid. Not only that; you're supposed to mention your account number (or credit card number; IIRC); while making an Apple account.

Support for the product in question is non existent.

I'm an habitual Apple user. The products feel awesome; but apart from the feel; Android and even Windows (in some cases) beats that damn iOS hollow.

I find Windows awesome.
Actually, a friend has a 4S and I was blown away by it. I mean the touch, that finely crafted glass back et al felt so good to use.

I read a book on Steve Jobs and the desire to own something which has an 'i' before it has increased since then.

Mom has a Lumia 625 and Dad has an S4. While the Lumia is much better to use, the S4 beats it when you bring apps to the scene. But I must agree that WPs have a niche of their own. Hope they are more successful.

BTW, will the price come down further before it finally phases out?

Cheers.
Old 18th May 2015, 22:47   #10744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW, will the price come down further before it finally phases out?

Cheers.
Yeah - Indeed so.

In the second half of 2014; when I was looking out for a replacement for my 2013 Lumia 620; I stumbled upon the Moto G.

The second generation was already launched; and the first generation was already phased out. Although the remaining stocks of the first generation were still on sale; on Flipkart.

The Second Generation costed ~12k.

The phased out generation (Gen1) costed - 9,999 INR.

A 2k INR difference.

Expect a similar discount on the iPhone as and when it get's phased out.

An altogether different matter is that- I was instructed my my physics professor to get meself a ''cheaper'' mobile phone - as it would keep me free of ''distractions''.

Okay - 2013 Lumia 620 went out - replaced by a 2014 Lumia 630.

8 months on....I still use my 2013 Lumia; now 2 years old.

I loathed the 630; and for some reason; it just failed to start one day. Okay- Have still retained it. Will try a DIY restoration.

I've made my own electric motor; and a generator as well. What is a non working Lumia to restore?

Last but not the least; here's a bit of brotherly advice (as our age difference isn't that much) -

8th is the last ''fun'' year - if we look at it from a typical schoolboy's point of view. Get the phone you want - NOT the iPhone - but a Yureka ( http://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=...9-0000216bdef3 )by FAR the best Android cell in the sub 10k range. Or a Moto E.

Patao your father and get the Moto G if possible. But ensure that the phone is NOT a distraction.

And then; from Ninth onwards- Start studying. For your enginnering entrance exams. Trust me; every second person in my family is an IITian; and that puts me under a lot of pressure.

What I did was started studying at the earliest. And now; there's no stopping me.

When you truly fall in love with Calculus........

What I mean to say is : Bro; you've got a huge career ahead of you. Get a good phone- but ENSURE THAT IT IS NOT A POTENTIAL SOURCE OF DISTRACTION. Start studying for 'em exams now. The earlier; the better.

You live in a pretty isolated area...Trust me; you'll have to leave Burdwan and go to Calcutta. Relocate. Find an excellent coaching class. And work hard.

If you don't choose to sacrifice a bit in the coming few years....Ouch.

I know this advice is a bit ''Uncleish'' ; but please note that I mean well. Study. Properly. I started studying from 6th grade onwards. And nearly 5 years on....Trust me...The earlier you start studying; the better.

Thanks!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 18th May 2015 at 22:49. Reason: Smiley rule. Thanks!
Old 19th May 2015, 17:33   #10745
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah - Indeed so.

8th is the last ''fun'' year - if we look at it from a typical schoolboy's point of view. Get the phone you want - NOT the iPhone - but a Yureka ( http://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=...9-0000216bdef3 )by FAR the best Android cell in the sub 10k range. Or a Moto E.

Patao your father and get the Moto G if possible. But ensure that the phone is NOT a distraction.

!
FINTAIL Sir,
I owe you. Your advice was just very helpful. Please keep 'em brotherly advices coming brother!

Now, regarding the phone. The final shortlist is Yu Yureka and Motorola Moto G2. Help me decide, again!

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
Old 19th May 2015, 18:48   #10746
BHPian

Quote:
Now, regarding the phone. The final shortlist is Yu Yureka and Motorola Moto G2. Help me decide, again!

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
I would recommend the Moto G (2nd Gen) for one simple but crucial reason:
It will always have the latest and the most stable version of PURE Android!
Old 19th May 2015, 19:54   #10747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FINTAIL Sir,
I owe you. Your advice was just very helpful. Please keep 'em brotherly advices coming brother!

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel

It isn't even a contest; specially considering your minimal usage.

The Yu is primarily meant for the gadgets obsessed folks. Obsessed with running the very latest version of everything on their phone.

So yeah - The G2.

You might like this video:

The guy drove a tough German car over a *mere* Motorola. And you can see the results.....
Old 19th May 2015, 23:36   #10748
BHPian

Quote:

It isn't even a contest; specially considering your minimal usage.

The Yu is primarily meant for the gadgets obsessed folks. Obsessed with running the very latest version of everything on their phone.

So yeah - The G2.
Motorola G2 it was finally! Order placed. Black in color. I am very happy and excited. Will post the review once I use it extensively.

Cheers,
Neel

Last edited by ampere : 19th May 2015 at 23:46. Reason: Removed the bigger part of the quote
Old 19th May 2015, 23:44   #10749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motorola G2 it was finally! Order placed. Black in color. I am very happy and excited. Will post the review once I use it extensively.

Cheers,
Neel
Great! But; as I said:

Limit the phone usage. And umm...

Quote:
Will post the review once I use it extensively.
Yeah. Right. You will not use it extensively.

Lol. Use it properly- But after a couple of years; it must not be a distraction.

P.S: You were supposed to reply back. By PM. You know what I mean.
Old 20th May 2015, 16:28   #10750
BHPian

This phone is only superior in Camera, the Russian phone, whose price now is somewhere around 9k, at the moment on Flipkart. IMO, it's not worth the buy, besides every other budget phone is offering 4G support on their newly launched devices. I'd keep my hands off that Russian phone. Good luck, mate!
Old 20th May 2015, 23:22   #10751
BHPian

My Samsung Note 2 would not charge fully even after leaving to charge overnight, in switched off state, from low battery. If the battery level is like 20% or less, even overnight charging doesn't fully charge it by the time I have to leave for office - around 8-9 hours.

Another friend had once mentions similar problems which resolved when using a different USB cable. So I tried the same, bought a new USB cable (the shopkeeper claimed it was HTC, no branding on the clear plastic), and it does work better.
Even so, it takes 2+ hours to charge from low battery state (10-12%), and seems to take longest for the last 2-3% - the display is near 100% green but charging lamp is still red (green lamp = fully charged).

Is there a faster way to charge the Samsung?
Old 20th May 2015, 23:54   #10752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayr70n_5enna View Post
This phone is only superior in Camera, the Russian phone, whose price now is somewhere around 9k, at the moment on Flipkart. IMO, it's not worth the buy, besides every other budget phone is offering 4G support on their newly launched devices. I'd keep my hands off that Russian phone. Good luck, mate!
Thanks!

It's priced at 11K currently.
Old 21st May 2015, 00:44   #10753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Is there a faster way to charge the Samsung?
You can try using any 2.1 Amp charger coupled with a better quality cable. A portronics brand charger with a bandridge/boat brand USB cable should do the trick for you. you can find there at decent price at Amazon. This combo should set you back by around Rs 700.

Technically speaking, the initial 80% charge happens quickest and the last 5% takes the longest where the process is called "trickle charging". This ensures the charge holds longer.

The other thing to note is the age of your battery. If its anything over 1.5 yrs old..dump it for a new one NOW.
Old 21st May 2015, 17:08   #10754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

It's priced at 11K currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayr70n_5enna View Post
Hey- Which is this ''Russian'' phone you refer to?

Old 21st May 2015, 22:17   #10755
BHPian

I think he mistook it for Arseny Pavlov whose nickname is also Motorola. :lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks