Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 19:38   #10186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As I said earlier, if it is Android then stock google Android it is. Infact the next phone I am going to buy would be Nexus 5

The Samsung's and LG's of the world are highly overrated and mostly crap.
Completely agree with you. I have experienced this lag with note 2 as well. O think its because of the amount of bloatware that is put to customize according to the manufacturer! Pure android phone like nexus rocks any day in terms of functionality!

I gave example of nexus because you mentioned that there is no android phone out there which does not have lag

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th November 2013 at 19:41.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:49   #10187
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
As I said earlier, if it is Android then stock google Android it is. Infact the next phone I am going to buy would be Nexus 5

The Samsung's and LG's of the world are highly overrated and mostly crap.
Agree on the Nexus.

As a recent S3 owner, who is finding his wife's GNex less laggy and generally snappy overall (she has hajaar apps setup and all kind of notifications from like 5-7 different news apps besides other email/productivity ones), even in simple things like pressing home within camera, then switching to another app.

Once an app runs, S3 is a bit snappier (pinch/zoom/rotate within map), but multi tasking etc gets my goat. Not to mention the S3 loses data at times (say in a lift), and then won't be able to restore data till i enable/disable airplane mode. I have no energy to visit a samsung service center for this issue!

Despite fervent promises to myself not to mod this phone, I am soon getting to a point where i may be left with little options. That's without me getting into how my BB9320 is far quicker (less key presses) in basic phone tasks than the samsung). Or stuff like impossible one handed usage during calls - the onscreen keyboard is in the upper half of the screen, which means you need to wiggle the phone in your hand if you're taking the call on the move (small thing for most people, but its my regular use case to dial into conference calls or once a week into some customer care).

Last edited by phamilyman : 18th November 2013 at 19:54.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:55   #10188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Furthering the argument, I can also contest that even though 80% market share is Android, the mobile web traffic is mostly iOS by far.
This data is incorrect and propagated by certain websites in context of tablets ( overall anyway Android traffic is more) but key point is that in 80% of Android tablets there is no way to identify by the server if device is phone or tablet because Browser user agent string is kept same.

Quote:
What exactly is a power user? Care to elaborate?
Sure some use cases
Consumer cases :

1. Using your phone to download torrents and storing on external HDD
Advantages : Low power consumption then a PC / Laptop and can be done anywhere. USB Host controller allows many such usage

2. Connecting to TV and streaming HD movies.

3. Connecting phone to external big screen and keypad and opening office documents PPT over a big screen : Advantage no need to lug laptop / mac-book , tablets to meetings.
I understand iphones may allow this but will lots of propriety peripherals but on Androids you don't need anything extra.

4. Using an SMB mount to access/store documents from your home or SOHO office.

Hobby / DIY
=============

1. Using as a control device for various applications where usually a proprietary hardware was required.
Example I use my phone as controller and remote view finder for my DSLR

2. Cheap and accurate light meter.

Nearest alternative is sekonic light-meter which costs around 25-30 K , I have calibrated several times and I find my Note 2 as accurate as a proper light-meter for my usage.

3. A development target for your software projects.

This is most important use-case and can be expanded to several other items.
Till few years back many start-ups and entrepreneurs used to beg bigger companies / customers for target board /tools before they can demonstrate their ideas. Debugging on embedded boards was very costly and required mostly hardware based debuggers using JTAG ( costs around 10K US$ or so )
Android has democratized the market now a days they come with prototypes ready on Android powered devices. Also software tools which were largely desktop based have migrated to ARM based devices due to Linux kernel.

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th November 2013 at 19:59.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:59   #10189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Agree on the Nexus.

As a recent S3 owner, who is finding his wife's GNex less laggy and generally snappy overall (she has hajaar apps setup and all kind of notifications from like 5-7 different news apps besides other email/productivity ones), even in simple things like pressing home within camera, then switching to another app.

Once an app runs, S3 is a bit snappier (pinch/zoom/rotate within map), but multi tasking etc gets my goat. Not to mention the S3 loses data at times (say in a lift), and then won't be able to restore data till i enable/disable airplane mode. I have no energy to visit a samsung service center for this issue!

Despite fervent promises to myself not to mod this phone, I am soon getting to a point where i may be left with little options. That's without me getting into how my BB9320 is far quicker (less key presses) in basic phone tasks than the samsung). Or stuff like impossible one handed usage during calls - the onscreen keyboard is in the upper half of the screen, which means you need to wiggle the phone in your hand if you're taking the call on the move (small thing for most people, but its my regular use case to dial into conference calls or once a week into some customer care).
Agreed. Galaxy S3 to be is one of the most overrated phone around. Even simple things takes a lot of time as the phone seems to 'think' a lot. Opening the camera app, coming out of an application by pressing home button isn't snappy, at times the long press on the home button which basically opens the task manager simply stops working altogether.

What good is a phone if to merely make it work as intended you have to mod it beyond what's acceptable to the maker. Give me stock google android I don't think I need any personalization at all.
If you need to personalize a stock app, the maker screwed it. Simple as that.
Old 18th November 2013, 20:26   #10190
Senior - BHPian

One more hit for Blackberry, another Fortune 500 company (Pfizer) drops it. It is going to loose ~1 lakh customers (and associated enterprise servers etc).

http://www.slashgear.com/pfizer-drop...tion-17305713/
Old 18th November 2013, 23:48   #10191
Distinguished - BHPian

I was supposed to get a nexus 5 from the USA but since its sold out there too, it didn't materialize. So looking to pick up a phone from here only then. What would be a good choice between the Nexus 5/Lg G2/Samsung S4? I believe the Nexus will cost 30k whereas the other 2 will be available for around 34-35k.

Also I am in no hurry. Are there any path breaking changes expected to come next year? In that case I can wait for the S5 or something similar since I keep my phone for 3 years approximately. AFAIK its only a curved display that is being talked about in the 2014 devices as of now.
Old 19th November 2013, 15:02   #10192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I was supposed to get a nexus 5 from the USA but since its sold out there too, it didn't materialize. So looking to pick up a phone from here only then. What would be a good choice between the Nexus 5/Lg G2/Samsung S4? I believe the Nexus will cost 30k whereas the other 2 will be available for around 34-35k.
I will suggest you to go for Nexus 5 - it's a value for money device IMO!
Old 19th November 2013, 15:59   #10193
Senior - BHPian

Android v/s iOS debate can go on and on. In a debate about reliability of electronics in XUV and Innova, I had commented that niggles will arise if there are lots of electronics in the first place. In a bare bones car like the innova, there is nothing to go wrong...

Innova is the iOS here. iOS is a bare basic OS when compared to Android. There is hardly any feature which will make it lag.

So, in the end, it depends on the user. I don't mind a slight lag for the numerous features. By lag, I mean delay of less than a second. No ways my phone lags for 3-4 seconds!
Old 19th November 2013, 16:00   #10194
BHPian

Quote:

Also I am in no hurry. Are there any path breaking changes expected to come next year? In that case I can wait for the S5 or something similar since I keep my phone for 3 years approximately. AFAIK its only a curved display that is being talked about in the 2014 devices as of now.
Hello,

May I suggest to have a closer look at the Nexus 4. Reasons being

1) Easily available in India
2) Price - About 25K
3) Stock Android OS
4) Android 4.4 will come to it soon. As for the Kit-kat launcher that can be installed separately.
5) Apart from the larger screen and newer snapdragon not much different from the N5

If you still insist on the latest then have a look at the LG G2 on which the Nexus 5 is based, I think the price maybe in the region of 35K.
Old 19th November 2013, 17:08   #10195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
If you still insist on the latest then have a look at the LG G2 on which the Nexus 5 is based, I think the price maybe in the region of 35K.
No would rather opt for the newer Nexus 5. What I am more interested in knowing is that why do you suggest G2 over the Nexus? The only difference I could make out was:
1. Slightly larger screen
2. Bigger battery ( but part of it will be consumed by the bigger screen too).
3. Better camera although the 8MP shooter on the Nexus should do the job too ( My S2's 8MP camera works fine for my needs).

The downside in G2 for me is lack of updates! It always feels good to know that you are running on the latest Android version. And NO I don't root my devices.
Old 20th November 2013, 00:06   #10196
BHPian

Was planning to gift a phone to mum next month but can't really pick one, So here's the list of requirements -

0. Budget - 15-20k (Extendable by 3-4k if the phone suits her needs)

1. Should be a full-touch smartphone.
2. Dual Sim.
3. Easy and friendly interface as it will be mum's first smartphone.
4. Decent camera.
5. Preferably the more 'established' brands, may consider Micromax but that's about it!
6. No such high performance needs but it should have lag free operation in day-to-day usage.

Was looking at the HTC Desire 600, the Micromax Canvas Turbo and the Galaxy S4 Mini - The issue with them is that mom might find the android UI a bit confusing.
Considered the iPhone 4 (best option in terms of UI, I guess) and the Lumia series (920, 625, 720) too but these are all single sim phones.

Any suggestions?
Old 20th November 2013, 01:49   #10197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Was planning to gift a phone to mum next month but can't really pick one, So here's the list of requirements -

2. Dual Sim.
4. Decent camera.
5. Preferably the more 'established' brands, may consider Micromax but that's about it!
6. No such high performance needs but it should have lag free operation in day-to-day usage.

Was looking at the HTC Desire 600, the Micromax Canvas Turbo and the Galaxy S4 Mini - The issue with them is that mom might find the android UI a bit confusing.
Considered the iPhone 4 (best option in terms of UI, I guess) and the Lumia series (920, 625, 720) too but these are all single sim phones.

Any suggestions?
The Galaxy Grand Duos is a good option within your budget. Most phones above 20k don't come in dual-sim options. S4 mini is a good option but I'm not sure if it's dual-sim or not, plus it's pricey for the feature set on offer.
Old 20th November 2013, 02:46   #10198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post

2. Dual Sim.
4. Decent camera.

Any suggestions?
Consider Xperia M too. Fits your bill perfectly. My brother in India uses it and has similar requirements as yours. He is very happy with it so far.
Old 20th November 2013, 04:42   #10199
BHPian

Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013) should now be available on Google Play Store India.

https://plus.google.com/+Nexus/posts/fDV53DV9rz4
Old 20th November 2013, 08:17   #10200
BHPian

Quote:
No would rather opt for the newer Nexus 5. What I am more interested in knowing is that why do you suggest G2 over the Nexus? The only difference I could make out was:
1. Slightly larger screen
2. Bigger battery ( but part of it will be consumed by the bigger screen too).
3. Better camera although the 8MP shooter on the Nexus should do the job too ( My S2's 8MP camera works fine for my needs).

The downside in G2 for me is lack of updates! It always feels good to know that you are running on the latest Android version. And NO I don't root my devices.
Hello,

My comments were based on available news. As of today N5 is available in India . (Battery life is suspect though)
I had suggested the G2 purely because the N5 was not available.
You are right to have a latest android which only the nexus devices can give.

There is some developing news on the camera front. A new API suggests that google is about to introduce RAW, burst mode and number of other enhancements.

As for rooting the phone, you do not need to root (AFAIK) to install kit-kat launcher on N4.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks