Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 12:37   #10171
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I am now thinking of changing the S3 and contemplating between the iPhone or a better Android phone. I don't know which one to go for.
I recently bought nexus 5 and i have given it to my wife replacing her Galaxy S3 after 7 months.
I use Iphone 5, but believe me Nexus 5 is a marvelous phone. after my office hours i keep on playing with my wife's N5 and customize it. It's super fast for daily use and gaming. Yesterday i played GT Racing 2 back to back on my Iphone 5 and N5. it was amazing experience on N5.
I hate Galaxy S3 for it's laggy performance.

if you are OK with screen size, nothing beats N5 for the price or otherwise.
Old 18th November 2013, 12:50   #10172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Personalization does not matter to you. That's fine. But there are a million others who love it. So please do not generalize that it is not important.
Please re-read my post again. I did not imply personalization is not important, I only said it does not matter if the underlying app does not work as it should. Its primary task.

Quote:
I have a Sony Xperia S and all the apps work as intended. I dont know which Android you used.
Galaxy S3. The phone with a quad core processor and a GB of RAM and even then it lags all over the place if not restarted for a few days, slows down as you fill up the memory, the contacts app opens really slow and last but not the least the stock Samsung keyboard is the worst keyboard ever on a touch mobile device.

Now contrast this with my iPhone 4S 64GB which has 'only' a dual core 800 mhz processor and only 512 MB RAM and it filled to brim with 259 apps, songs and video's so much so that out of 64GB only 3.5 GB is free! Still it doesn't ever lag or slows down or crash or restart. Works as it should all the time. For me its a hell lot more important than the ability to change the color on my keyboard.

Quote:
My phone does not lag, period. And it is not even half as powerful as the S4 or Z1.

And it is stock!
I had one and I can tell you that you must have really low expectations from your mobile phone. It was worse compared to even my S3!

Quote:
And it comes with swipe keyboard built in, which is much better than the stock keyboard of the iPhone IMHO.
Feature rich yes but better, No! My Galaxy S3 also runs skype keyboard but I prefer the stock Google Jelly Bean key board over it any which day. Best of all the Google keyboard is free!

Quote:
Integration of Google apps on Google phones is much better when compared to iOS.
Which is why I said, if you want to go Android, stock google Android is the right way.
Old 18th November 2013, 13:49   #10173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I am now thinking of changing the S3 and contemplating between the iPhone or a better Android phone. I don't know which one to go for.
You cant go wrong with iPhone 5s or Nexus 5. Both are excellent phones (Just that Nexus 5 is cheaper by 25k or so )

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Galaxy S3. The phone with a quad core processor and a GB of RAM and even then it lags all over the place if not restarted for a few days
S3 has quite decent hardware that is messed up by Samsung software. Fortunately, CM has released a windows app that takes away pains from the procces of deployment of CM10 software on S3.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 18th November 2013 at 13:53.
Old 18th November 2013, 14:43   #10174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Galaxy S3. The phone with a quad core processor and a GB of RAM and even then it lags all over the place if not restarted for a few days, slows down as you fill up the memory, the contacts app opens really slow and last but not the least the stock Samsung keyboard is the worst keyboard ever on a touch mobile device.
The Samsung UI is pretty heavy as far as I have heard and is known to lag. So, I dont think it is applicable to all Android phones in general.

Quote:
Now contrast this with my iPhone 4S 64GB which has 'only' a dual core 800 mhz processor and only 512 MB RAM and it filled to brim with 259 apps, songs and video's so much so that out of 64GB only 3.5 GB is free! Still it doesn't ever lag or slows down or crash or restart. Works as it should all the time. For me its a hell lot more important than the ability to change the color on my keyboard.
When I talk about personalization, I mean a lot of things like launchers, widgets, etc. instead of just color palettes like iOS.

Also, personally I feel Android is more user friendly than iOS in a lot of ways. I will not go deeper into this as it is totally subjective.

Quote:
I had one and I can tell you that you must have really low expectations from your mobile phone. It was worse compared to even my S3!
I would say I have sane expectations.

I dont mind a 0.5 second delay in opening the phonebook or any app as I am not that busy in life! Plus I dont mind switching off my phone once in a while.

If you want to avoid switching off your phone, there are a lot of task killing apps as well. I use none but I generally switch off my phone in the night and it runs smoothly with no lag whatsoever.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:33   #10175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont mind a 0.5 second delay in opening the phonebook or any app as I am not that busy in life! Plus I dont mind switching off my phone once in a while.
For me this lag is more like 4 - 5 seconds. At the moment, I am using Galaxy Note 3 for testing one of the apps.

Same App does not impact iPhone 5s performance, neither does it impact Nexus 4.

Similar reports on forums:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...g-problem.html

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 18th November 2013 at 15:34.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:01   #10176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For me this lag is more like 4 - 5 seconds. At the moment, I am using Galaxy Note 3 for testing one of the apps.

Same App does not impact iPhone 5s performance, neither does it impact Nexus 4.

Similar reports on forums:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...g-problem.html

Go to Appmanager and try disabling ChatOn , IMHO Chaton and WhatsApp are two huge resource hogs and both of them slow the contacts some how.
You can disable the one you don't use.

Additionally disable readershub as well because it is nearly useless in this part of the world.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:32   #10177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Go to Appmanager and try disabling ChatOn...

Thanks, that does the trick for my personal devices (I.e. root and remove apps / background processes that are not required). As a developer it makes sense that Dialer / Contacts VMs were killed (or swapped out) and it takes time to launch VM and init the apps.

However, it frustates end users. Specially since other phone that they use (mostly iPhone or BlackBerry) ensure that these systems apps load quickly.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:41   #10178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Thanks, that does the trick for my personal devices (I.e. root and remove apps / background processes that are not required). As a developer it makes sense that Dialer / Contacts VMs were killed (or swapped out) and it takes time to launch VM and init the apps.

However, it frustates end users. Specially since other phone that they use (mostly iPhone or BlackBerry) ensure that these systems apps load quickly.
I kind of agree in general with you but for disabling you need not root a phone , End users can easily uninstall all updates for the app and disable the app from application manager. ChatOn is given as system app simply because Samsung used OEM system key to sign it. In reality there are not much system dependencies.

Also I have noticed on multiple phones that it is required to kill Whatsapp periodically it is a very badly designed app , One of my friend had problem of around 1.5 hour battery life on Micromax Canvas HD and whatsapp was the culprit.

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th November 2013 at 17:43.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:11   #10179
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this problem with whatsapp only on specific phones ? Because I never faced such problem.

And moreover why you have to kill whatsapp? Is it meant to run continuously in the background.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:23   #10180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

And moreover why you have to kill whatsapp? Is it meant to run continuously in the background.
Generally it is observed on resource constrained devices ( Low RAM , Low CPU) but even on latest greatest phones suppose it will affect at some point.

Look at the FAQ they have provided I am yet to see a decent app advising to install and reinstall , This is a typical sign that temporary DBs are not getting cleaned up.

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/android/20887936

I don't have acess to whatsapp code but I think this is problem with coding style in general it seems garbage collection and cleanup is not done properly.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:10   #10181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I talk about personalization, I mean a lot of things like launchers, widgets, etc. instead of just color palettes like iOS.
Launchers and widgets have no place is iOS and frankly I dont miss them at all. To me an operating system should just work unobtrusively rather than doing too many things and in process screwing up on a lot of things. Speaking of launchers, the default iOS launcher does mighty fine job of what its supposed to do.

Quote:
Also, personally I feel Android is more user friendly than iOS in a lot of ways. I will not go deeper into this as it is totally subjective.
Agree its subjective. Speaking for myself I dont mind not having bluetooth transfers or widgets.

Quote:
I would say I have sane expectations.
Blame it on iOS but I have very high expectations from my phone as far as day to day usage is concerned.

Quote:
.5 seconds! There isnt one Android phone out there, even the latest one's with their top notch hardware that can do it in .5 second. In case of my Galaxy S3, it takes a few seconds at best. Even launching something as simple and as basic as dialer takes more than couple of seconds.

Quote:
If you want to avoid switching off your phone, there are a lot of task killing apps as well. I use none but I generally switch off my phone in the night and it runs smoothly with no lag whatsoever.
I never switch off my phone and why should I. Because somebody did not write their software well inspite of the fact that it runs on a cutting edge hardware?
Xperia S was never able to run the screen animations at a decent frame rate even when it is brand new. I dont really know what your definition of lag free is.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:25   #10182
Distinguished - BHPian

@extreme_torque.

In my nexus 4. Dialler as well as phone book open in less than a second. And I have more than 600 contacts. Just FYKI
Old 18th November 2013, 19:29   #10183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Launchers and widgets have no place is iOS and frankly I dont miss them at all. To me an operating system should just work unobtrusively rather than doing too many things and in process screwing up on a lot of things. Speaking of launchers, the default iOS launcher does mighty fine job of what its supposed to do.
Well I think there are enough forums on net were this debate can be taken.
I have seen a lot of people arguing at several places such as techcrunch for past 5 years or so meanwhile Android is now 80% market share and also iPhone is doing great.

Coming back to this specific point it is not just about launchers etc but there are lots of small things such as using an exernal HDD or connecting to another laptop with BT file transfer or a wireless playout to a TV without buying another peace of hardware which can not be done by iDevice.
If you don't need any of these good for you iPhone is device for you.

Quote:

Blame it on iOS but I have very high expectations from my phone as far as day to day usage is concerned.

.5 seconds! There isnt one Android phone out there, even the latest one's with their top notch hardware that can do it in .5 second. In case of my Galaxy S3, it takes a few seconds at best. Even launching something as simple and as basic as dialer takes more than couple of seconds.
This is simply not true I use multiple devices and in each of them phonebook
opens in order of couple of 100 ms.
With great power comes great responsibility as Shri Spiderman said on most of the devices which lag I have observed that there are resource hogs like moboginie or some other such apks running which comes as a free gift with lots of free things from sources of dubious distinction.

iPhone simply is closed so no issues there but then you can't be a power user either so it is a simple choice. You have made your choice it would be immature if someone reticules your choice and it is applicable other way as well.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:31   #10184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
@extreme_torque.

In my nexus 4. Dialler as well as phone book open in less than a second. And I have more than 600 contacts. Just FYKI
As I said earlier, if it is Android then stock google Android it is. Infact the next phone I am going to buy would be Nexus 5

The Samsung's and LG's of the world are highly overrated and mostly crap.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:38   #10185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I think there are enough forums on net were this debate can be taken.
I have seen a lot of people arguing at several places such as techcrunch for past 5 years or so meanwhile Android is now 80% market share and also iPhone is doing great.
Furthering the argument, I can also contest that even though 80% market share is Android, the mobile web traffic is mostly iOS by far. Most of the cheaper low end Android's are good for nothing. Infact a feature phone like Nokia Asha is a much better bet than low end Android costing the same.

Quote:
Coming back to this specific point it is not just about launchers etc but there are lots of small things such as using an exernal HDD or connecting to another laptop with BT file transfer or a wireless playout to a TV without buying another peace of hardware which can not be done by iDevice.
If you don't need any of these good for you iPhone is device for you.
The exact reason I am looking at buying a second device as a supplement to my iPhone. I can't let go of my iPhone because its an iPod as well and it very very important for me.

Quote:
This is simply not true I use multiple devices and in each of them phonebook
opens in order of couple of 100 ms.
With great power comes great responsibility as Shri Spiderman said on most of the devices which lag I have observed that there are resource hogs like moboginie or some other such apks running which comes as a free gift with lots of free things from sources of dubious distinction.
I will agree with you that at times it does open it quick but my point is that performance isnt consistent. When it works it is great but again it doesn't work the same all the time as it is with iOS.

Quote:
iPhone simply is closed so no issues there but then you can't be a power user either so it is a simple choice. You have made your choice it would be immature if someone reticules your choice and it is applicable other way as well.
What exactly is a power user? Care to elaborate?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks