Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 16:10   #10156
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
unless you bought the androids at the awesome diwali sale prices of Flipkart - when the value tradeoff is tremendous (i got my S3 for 17k!!).
When did you buy it and was it under exchange ? Asking because S3 on Flipkart is today Rs23990. For my orgn, there is a special discount on Samsung estore, but even with that it is Rs22857. So wondering how you got it at 17K.

EDIT : Deleted my query about buying iPhone4 vs S3, since it has been answered in a few posts in previous page.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th November 2013 at 16:18.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:29   #10157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
So, does it make sense to buy a previous generation iPhone or instead get the more later S3, given both cost roughly the same ?
It basically depends on what you are looking for in the phone. Few of my friends have brought an iphone just to make a fashion statement. Comparing Iphone 4 to Samsung S3 is like comparing apples and oranges . I doubt if iphone 4 has enough memory and speed to support the new/upcoming applications, I would stay away from it.

S3 is a good buy primarily because of configuration but I gave it a slip because it did not feel like a premium smartphone in hand, Instead I brought the Galaxy Nexus 4 during from flipkart for around 24k using my standard chartered card, I will get a cash back of 15% on the total cost, so the effective cost is a little above 20k.

There are exchanges offer still going on flipkart, you may want to check them.

As phamilyman pointed, the S3 was available for 17k during diwali timeframe after exchange of existing smartphone and further cash-back from Standard Chartered if used.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:34   #10158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Which Qualcomm processor is this?

Fastest processor that I know about is S4 800 (2.3 GHz). Devices usign this processor seem to be selling quite well (LTE versions of Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, Sone Xperia Z1, Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 10).

Did they release a faster processor than this one?
Small correction. Galaxy S4 runs either Snapdragon 600 or Exynos 5 depending on where it's sold.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:29   #10159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

Small correction. Galaxy S4 runs either Snapdragon 600 or Exynos 5 depending on where it's sold.
The LTE-A version of the S4 runs on Snapdragon 800 processor.
Old 16th November 2013, 08:56   #10160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
IPhones no doubt offer excellent ui experience, but when it comes to convenience like personalization, sharing data via wifi direct/bluetooth & exceptional Google services integration - Android phones are no match!
What personalization are we talking here? Keyboard in different colors? How the heck is personalization important when the underlying app itself does not work as it should? So you buy a Samsung phone with a gazillion core processor and few gigs of RAM but it lags and then you start the so called personalization and download Swift Key so that you can type properly, install Cyanogen mods so that it does not lag all over the place due to memory leaks with a poorly written software.

Talking of google services almost all of them are available on iOS and they work as well as native iPhone apps.

If you want to talk Samsung and Android, I am not even interested in the argument. For me if you want to go Android, the stock google Android it is.

I am a iPhone 4S user and will be picking up Nexus 5 shortly. I couldn't care less about the crap Samsung and the other Android OEM's serve.
Old 16th November 2013, 10:22   #10161
BHPian

Extreme_torque
I sense a lot of hate against samsung in your post even though the post you have quoted doesn't even mention samsung once and is referring to android os as a whole. Well every brand/OS has its pros and cons and in the end you have to accept that. Even the nexus line and ios have their share of cons/problems.
Peace

P.S. Nowadays all the samsung phones(AFAIK) come with inbuilt swift key like keyboard and my s4 & note3 don't lag at all :s .

Last edited by trumpcard : 16th November 2013 at 10:26. Reason: Adding
Old 16th November 2013, 10:26   #10162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
Extreme_torque
I sense a lot of hate against samsung in your post even though the post you have quoted doesn't even mention samsung once and is referring to android os as a whole. Well every brand/OS has its pros and cons and in the end you have to accept that. Even the nexus line and ios have their share of cons/problems.
Peace
Not particularly Samsung.. No! I mentioned Samsung because they sell the largest number of Android devices by far and I can't believe how underwhelming they are given how much they sell.
Old 16th November 2013, 10:38   #10163
BHPian

Okay bro. But then what's the harm when you buy a phone say like a samsung or a htc, you can have their touch wiz and sense up over android and then can always root it for the plain vanilla android experience. Even I have used iPhones from 3G to the 5 including every version and I don't find them superior to the android experience( both are at par for me) in anyway except for the iPod app(music player). Plus after the ios7 update my ipad refuses to open any heavy web page and safari simply keeps crashing and this happens on my iPhone 5 as well, Whereas the note 3 shows no glitch at all for now atleast.
Anyways to each his own.
Old 16th November 2013, 11:02   #10164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What personalization are we talking here? Keyboard in different colors? How the heck is personalization important when the underlying app itself does not work as it should?
Personalization does not matter to you. That's fine. But there are a million others who love it. So please do not generalize that it is not important.

I have a Sony Xperia S and all the apps work as intended. I dont know which Android you used.

Quote:
So you buy a Samsung phone with a gazillion core processor and few gigs of RAM but it lags and then you start the so called personalization and download Swift Key so that you can type properly, install Cyanogen mods so that it does not lag all over the place due to memory leaks with a poorly written software.
My phone does not lag, period. And it is not even half as powerful as the S4 or Z1.

And it is stock!

And it comes with swipe keyboard built in, which is much better than the stock keyboard of the iPhone IMHO.

Quote:
Talking of google services almost all of them are available on iOS and they work as well as native iPhone apps.
Integration of Google apps on Google phones is much better when compared to iOS.
Old 16th November 2013, 11:17   #10165
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering if there's something that a 70K iPhone 5S can do what a 30K Android cannot do?

I recently switched to iphone after a long stint with the Androids. Honestly, Androids offer more features for less $$$. May be you can make a style statement with the iphones. But that's all about it according to me.

I sorely miss the Bluetooth FTP, Youtube catching, Visible file managing system, advanced cut copy paste functions, advanced phone book etc., and the list is endless.

Another ridiculous thing about iPhones is that you just can't select and delete multiple photos from the foto gallery. Its way too cumbersome specially when you click pics with the HDR mode on, where in you wanna retain only the best shots.

Android is much much ahead of apple in terms of innovation and there's no two ways about it.

Am saying all this after spending truckloads of money on an iphone. But I must also admit that it is a gorgeous looking device and the service provided by Apple is exemplary.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th November 2013 at 11:20.
Old 16th November 2013, 11:51   #10166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Am saying all this after spending truckloads of money on an iphone. But I must also admit that it is a gorgeous looking device and the service provided by Apple is exemplary.
I guess it's a wrong comparison to make. You did a mistake of spending truckload of money on a 3 year old model. Forget iPhone 4, you might have had the same handicapped feeling if you move from a latest Android to a model from the past - say a Galaxy S.
Old 16th November 2013, 11:56   #10167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess it's a wrong comparison to make. You did a mistake of spending truckload of money on a 3 year old model. Forget iPhone 4, you might have had the same handicapped feeling if you move from a latest Android to a model from the past - say a Galaxy S.
Err I did not find any reference to iPhone4 in his post and also latest iphones do not solve any of the issues he mentioned such as lack of bluetooth File transfer, wifi direct or multi selection for photo delete or a handy file manager.

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th November 2013 at 11:57.
Old 16th November 2013, 12:39   #10168
BHPian

Guys there is no point comparing Android and iOS. Both are very mature OSes now with their pluses and minuses. It all comes down to personal preference and budget.

We all like cakes, just not the same flavors.
Old 16th November 2013, 14:05   #10169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Another ridiculous thing about iPhones is that you just can't select and delete multiple photos from the foto gallery. Its way too cumbersome specially when you click pics with the HDR mode on, where in you wanna retain only the best shots.
You can delete multiple pictures. Just go to pictures > camera roll > select (top right.

But i agree with you regarding features part, Androids offer way more in terms of advance copy paste and file system specially for someone who deals with files over phone.
Old 16th November 2013, 14:46   #10170
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys I have shifted from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S3 around little over a year ago. Yes the S3 and Android software is more user friendly than the iPhone. But now after a year I am having a lot of issues with my S3; very minor but notable issues.

- Phone getting slow; and I have not loaded it with apps or other files
- Phone sometimes does not time out leading to drastic loss of battery

Now these are very silly issues for a phone and something never experience when I used the iPhone.

I am now thinking of changing the S3 and contemplating between the iPhone or a better Android phone. I don't know which one to go for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks