Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 21:19   #10141
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Is the iPhone 4 (not S) a good buy at 15K???
It depends who will be using the phone. The phone is no doubt old but if it is just being used for calls, whatsapp and facebook (basically light to moderate usage) then I think it is good. Is the 15k for a brand new one or a used one? If used then please avoid.
Old 14th November 2013, 21:21   #10142
E63
BANNED

Brand new.
Yes, just Facebook, TBHP, Whatsapp and music.
Getting it through a friend from US.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:48   #10143
BHPian

Quote:
Brand new.
Yes, just Facebook, TBHP, Whatsapp and music.
Getting it through a friend from US.
If you have time, wait till Moto G is launched in US. $179 for 8GB unlocked and $199 for 16GB unlocked. It's an amazing deal. I believe it will be launched in India around January next year.
Old 14th November 2013, 23:53   #10144
BHPian

Quote:
Is the iPhone 4 (not S) a good buy at 15K???
The Ip 4 is 3 yrs old now. It's not bad for average usage like discussed earlier, but it's not getting any software updates or support from Apple, plus there are several good Droids available for that price range. IMO you should go for it ONLY if you're a hard core IPhone fanboy and don't care about the software experience.
Old 15th November 2013, 00:21   #10145
Senior - BHPian

I did the mistake of downgrading from a higher spec android note one to iPhone 4 just to satisfy the urge of owning an apple product.

Believe me this gotta be one of the silliest decisions in my life. Just can't wait to get back to the mighty androids.

The iPhone 4 no doubt looks good and feels good in your hand. But there ends the good part about the phone. Beyond that it's just a piece of prehistoric device.

Please don't invest on the iPhone 4 just for the fancy of it and make apple your enemy for life, just the way I did. :(

If you really wanna have a taste of apple in the present gen of quad core and octa core processors. The iPhone 5 should be the minimum.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th November 2013 at 00:34.
Old 15th November 2013, 00:52   #10146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I did the mistake of downgrading from a higher spec android note one to iPhone 4 just to satisfy the urge of owning an apple product.

Believe me this gotta be one of the silliest decisions in my life. Just can't wait to get back to the mighty androids.

The iPhone 4 no doubt looks good and feels good in your hand. But there ends the good part about the phone. Beyond that it's just a piece of prehistoric device.

Please don't invest on the iPhone 4 just for the fancy of it and make apple your enemy for life, just the way I did. :(

If you really wanna have a taste of apple in the present gen of quad core and octa core processors. The iPhone 5 should be the minimum.
I disagree on that part. iphone4 on IOS7 is definitely slow, but the 4S isnt a sloucher. My S3 has enough trademark lag in all kinds of apps when opening or closing them. The butter smooth refinement of the iphone 5, and the tad faster responsiveness *at all times* is definitely worth it.

unless you bought the androids at the awesome diwali sale prices of Flipkart - when the value tradeoff is tremendous (i got my S3 for 17k!!).

if it wasnt for all the hajaar apps I had bought (and the outside plan of rooting it) and the awesome resale they gave for my chacha, i had my heart set on a barely used 4S when I was in USA for two weeks.

btw all this quad/octa core is nonsense. apple with two 1.3 ghz core remains as snappy as the latest androids. You ultimately buy a phone for peace of mind, not the specs.
Old 15th November 2013, 01:05   #10147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

btw all this quad/octa core is nonsense. apple with two 1.3 ghz core remains as snappy as the latest androids. You ultimately buy a phone for peace of mind, not the specs.
Ummm, i guess it's been a while since you've looked at benchmark listings for mobile phones.
Anyways, a normal user doesn't wouldn't notice the difference between a dual core or a quad core processor because they're all pretty fast. All that matters for the end user is how friendly the os ui is and the convenience level it offers.
IPhones no doubt offer excellent ui experience, but when it comes to convenience like personalization, sharing data via wifi direct/bluetooth & exceptional Google services integration - Android phones are no match!
Old 15th November 2013, 02:10   #10148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Ummm, i guess it's been a while since you've looked at benchmark listings for mobile phones.
Anyways, a normal user doesn't wouldn't notice the difference between a dual core or a quad core processor because they're all pretty fast. All that matters for the end user is how friendly the os ui is and the convenience level it offers.
IPhones no doubt offer excellent ui experience, but when it comes to convenience like personalization, sharing data via wifi direct/bluetooth & exceptional Google services integration - Android phones are no match!
Nishant,

I as an end user don't have benchmarks for breakfast- and hopefully neither do you. They are nonsense as far as I'm concerned ever since the news spread how Samsung has doctored their s/w to perform better for benchmarks. So yes, their limited utility in comparing different androids aside, Bhaiyaji Please is all I say for anyone wanting to compare iphone with android on pure benchmarks.

Though yes, Apple's latest generation always stays current with the latest trends cutting through the hype on 2.x ghz octacores and more and more of RAM! http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/t...ne-5s-review/5

The single fact every iOS user swears by is the snappy lagfree UI and the QC on most iphone apps -and most benchmarks do NOT capture that. If I have to count till 5 everytime i try loading the task switcher while the camera or voip calling apps are running, I have gotten my practical answer. Benchmarks - thank you!

Note in the anandtech article, iphone 4S performance is comparable to other phones!

but yes, faced with choosing between a 240-250$ one year old(or more) iphone 4S without warranty, and a spanking new Galaxy S3 in 270$ with warranty, my choice was simple. For those who don't have that option, a used 4S is a very competent choice.

/let me not even gripe about the fact that I find the S3 too big for one handed usage
Old 15th November 2013, 02:46   #10149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Note in the anandtech article, iphone 4S performance is comparable to other phones!

but yes, faced with choosing between a 240-250$ one year old(or more) iphone 4S without warranty, and a spanking new Galaxy S3 in 270$ with warranty, my choice was simple. For those who don't have that option, a used 4S is a very competent choice.

/let me not even gripe about the fact that I find the S3 too big for one handed usage
Woah! Wait a sec man wait a sec!
I thought we were discussing the IPhone 4 rite? Then why post the review of the IPhone 5s? And if so it be, then why make comparisons with an S3? Why not compare your icrap device to a Note 3 or an LG G2 or an Xperia Z1? Or maybe I should start comparing it to the much rumored S5!!
Talking about one handed usage, I'm using an S4 which has a 5in screen and find no problems whatsoever with one-handed usage, even with my tiny hands - and universally 5in or less screen sizes are considered quite comfortable for one-handed usage. IPhone users would never agree because they know they're stuck with 4 or 4.5in screens with pre-historic resolution for now! Did anyone ever tell Apple what FULL-HD is? Maybe you should! Oh and yes, there's something called wifi-direct as well - look it up on Google or ask Siri on your Icrap device who'll eventually lookup the info on Google!
Peace to the world!
Old 15th November 2013, 08:36   #10150
Senior - BHPian

My personal opinion, even the latest iPhone 5S cannot hold a candle to the current gen of Androids in terms of sheer convenience and usability. The 5S could be lag free and smooth, am not denying that.

iPhones lack even the basic productivity tools of a 10K Android phone. Moving from being a GNote user, am totally handicapped with the iphone 4.

The iTunes syncing should be one of the most crappiest piece of software in recent times. Apple has completely lost in the innovation front ever since the demise of Jobs. The iphone 5S is just a testament to that fact!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th November 2013 at 08:37.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:34   #10151
Team-BHP Support

My wife's iPhone4 has become practically useless after iOS7 upgrade causing severe battery drain. I am beginning to suspect this was done intentionally by Apple, to force people to upgrade. Now I have to get her a better phone. It won't be another iPhone where I can't revert back the OS.

The processor war is finally fizzling out. I couldn't understand why people using dual core desktop/laptop needed quad core on their mobile phones. Now there are no buyers for Qualcomm's ultra-fast processors. Finally sanity is restored.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:07   #10152
Team-BHP Support

I think it largely depends on what you’re used to. I had a bad start on Android with the dreadful Motorola Milestone XT. Moved to WP7 (HTC HD7), and after a while shifted to iPhone and continued on that for a few years (4, 4s and 5), until I lost the phone a few months back. Yes, the updates have been like how Toyota come up with new generation cars – subtle updates with not much change in form factor, but everything works well in the stock form – decent call quality, excellent camera, stable apps for all the mainstream functions etc. I briefly went on to use my wife’s Note 2, but somehow did not feel comfortable with it. Big screen is nice for videos, but other than that I did not find any major advantages. Recently trade-in the phone and went for the Nokia Lumia 625. It may not be as advanced as the latest androids, but is an excellent phone for its price and the size it just right for me. Even though the screen resolution is not as good as the Note 2, I find the colour scheme of the Nokia more natural. I plan to move back to iPhone in April 2014 when I complete 1 year with my current contract.

Another point I noticed here in Singapore – in the used phone market, the iPhone holds its value much better than the high-end phones from its competitors (not sure about the scene in India).
Old 15th November 2013, 10:55   #10153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Woah! Wait a sec man wait a sec!
I thought we were discussing the IPhone 4 rite? Then why post the review of the IPhone 5s? And if so it be, then why make comparisons with an S3? Why not compare your icrap device to a Note 3 or an LG G2 or an Xperia Z1? Or maybe I should start comparing it to the much rumored S5!!
Talking about one handed usage, I'm using an S4 which has a 5in screen and find no problems whatsoever with one-handed usage, even with my tiny hands - and universally 5in or less screen sizes are considered quite comfortable for one-handed usage. IPhone users would never agree because they know they're stuck with 4 or 4.5in screens with pre-historic resolution for now! Did anyone ever tell Apple what FULL-HD is? Maybe you should! Oh and yes, there's something called wifi-direct as well - look it up on Google or ask Siri on your Icrap device who'll eventually lookup the info on Google!
Peace to the world!
I did say that iphone4 is slow on iOS7, but my original and subsequent posts were about how the iphone4S is quite decent and that benchmark test showed TWO things:
a. You dont need quadcore etc if your s/w is well written (iphone 5S vs others).
b. The humble iphone 4S (dual core 800 mhz!!!) wasnt too far behind on most benchmarks, and not to mention, is quite decent in real world usage.

@Samurai: didyou try http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...rade-to-ios-6/ or similar?
Old 15th November 2013, 11:18   #10154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I recently lost my Micromax A110, and was wondering what to replace it with. I do not want to spend more than Rs. 10,000 (inclusive of memory card, scratch guard and case). While I would love to have a phablet, I am quite intrigued by the Nokia Lumia 520, which gets good reviews. The only downer is that is has a 4" screen. But on the plus side, Nokia Drive should be excellent, and my Micromax A110 had very spotty GPS pick-up. Any other recommendations, is XOLO any good? My friends say they have bad buidl quality.

Nokia Lumia phones have issues with their music players . There is a seperate thread for windows phone. Do check it out. It might help you make a solid decision.
Old 15th November 2013, 15:25   #10155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The processor war is finally fizzling out. I couldn't understand why people using dual core desktop/laptop needed quad core on their mobile phones. Now there are no buyers for Qualcomm's ultra-fast processors. Finally sanity is restored.
Which Qualcomm processor is this?

Fastest processor that I know about is S4 800 (2.3 GHz). Devices usign this processor seem to be selling quite well (LTE versions of Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, Sone Xperia Z1, Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 10).

Did they release a faster processor than this one?

Most Viewed