Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 15:28   #10066
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

I have seen a few mobiles of xolo, micromax, lava etc. All are satisfactory on the non voice capabilities.

But the most basic function a mobile should provide i.e; clear audio from earpiece as well as the microphones quality is not present in these phones.

Very low bit rate and low volume is what these non branded mobiles suffer from.

My basic samsung (and all old nokias used by me) provides crystal clear audio on the earpiece and takes my voice to the other side in an almost HD voice manner!

Is this related to active noise cancellation algorithms which these phones do not possess as they are just assembled components? Or do they use extremely cheap earpieces & mouthpieces?

Can anyone suggest a non branded phone with satisfactory call quality.
Old 5th September 2013, 22:04   #10067
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Quattro is a "Dual SIM Standby" device. If you're using 3G on one SIM and receive a call on the other SIM, your phone will ring.

Meanwhile do consider Xolo Play or Xolo Q800 also if you're not that concerned about the brand name. They're real value-for-money devices. Few of my colleagues are using the Xolo Play and overall it looks like a sturdy device.
I thought so too, but the Samsung sales guy confused me saying that if one SIM is in use the caller on the other SIM will only get a message that the phone is switched off This he says is to ensure the SAR level remain within the prescribed range.

The call details will appear in the missed call though, is what he says.

And yes, i looked at Xolo, and i am also looking at Lenovo P770. Any feedback on Lenovo phones?
Old 6th September 2013, 10:57   #10068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
i am also looking at Lenovo P770. Any feedback on Lenovo phones?
Lenovo P770 is a good choice. It packs a 1.2 GHz Cortex A9 dual-core. Most competitors pack a A5 dual-core, and it affects the performance in a great way since A5 is based on old architecture.

I haven't heard of any complaints about Lenova phones yet. My colleague uses a Lenovo smartphone (don't remember the model number, it is the latest one that looks almost like a tablet). I talked to him about the performance of Lenovo phone, and it was a from his side.
Old 6th September 2013, 14:48   #10069
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Need some help here on purchasing a basic 1234 feature phone for mom. Tried "smart-phones" but she is unable to get the hang of the touch screens etc. I am looking for a simple phone, green and red call buttons, normal non-qwerty keypad. I came across only 2 decent ones so far.

Nokia ASHA 208

http://www.nokia.com/in-en/phones/phone/208-dual-sim/

Samsung Primo Duos

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/m...SCH-W279MSAINU

The only added advantage i see in Samsung is the built. It feels solid and metalish. Has anyone seen this in person? I plan to go to Croma today evening and have a look around.

I know most queries in this thread are related to the smartphones, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Old 6th September 2013, 15:16   #10070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

I know most queries in this thread are related to the smartphones, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Try, Samsung Metro Duos C3322

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/m...GT-C3322HKAINS

I bought it for my Mother in July 2012 for basic calling funcion.
The keypad is well spaced out and offers bigger fonts.
Battery lasts for 5+ days as her calling is only when she moves out of home.

I bought same phone in black colour for my father in Dec 2012 for the aforesaid reason.
As my father also required a basic calling function phone. His call receiving / making frequency is more.
For him the battery lasts almost for 3 days with two or single bar before charging.

Both the phones are problem free till date.

Just going by the battery life it offers sometimes i am tempted to buy it as a back-up phone for me considering the charging frequecny in so called Smart phone
Old 6th September 2013, 15:39   #10071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Try, Samsung Metro Duos C3322

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/m...GT-C3322HKAINS

I bought it for my Mother in July 2012 for basic calling funcion.
The keypad is well spaced out and offers bigger fonts.
Battery lasts for 5+ days as her calling is only when she moves out of home.

I bought same phone in black colour for my father in Dec 2012 for the aforesaid reason.
As my father also required a basic calling function phone. His call receiving / making frequency is more.
For him the battery lasts almost for 3 days with two or single bar before charging.

Both the phones are problem free till date.

Just going by the battery life it offers sometimes i am tempted to buy it as a back-up phone for me considering the charging frequecny in so called Smart phone
Thanks a lot.

It meets all the requirements i am looking for. More than the battery i liked the keypad layout. Mom is not used to the joint / closely held / qwerty fones.

About the battery life on smart phones, tell me about it man, I moved from LG 4X HD to BB Bold 3 9780. Was charging it twice a day and now i charge once in 2 days.
Old 7th September 2013, 15:53   #10072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
.. Lenovo P780 - Impressive battery life for a smart phone of 2+ days.
Full battery drain happened after 4 full days (Monday night to Saturday morning) with around 10 hours of calls, wifi on 80% of the time and a lot of fiddling around. I am impressed!

BTW it takes 4 hours to charge fully (from 2% to 100%).

Quote:
No case/pouch available yet. Screen guard is required but not available for this model yet in normal stores (prefer them as they will fix it properly for you rather than buying from online shops).
It needs a screen guard badly. Not available in local stores yet :( Available on ebay for 250rs. No cases either. May be I should make a trip to SP road to check it out.

BTW I noticed that screen guards are available for 20 cents US a piece i.e., 20$ for 100 units (~14 rs/piece) with free shipping, on AliExpress.com with turn around time of 2 weeks. Buy 100 n sell them on ebay for 150rs/piece? earn 15k for an investment of 1.5k :P
Old 17th September 2013, 22:57   #10073
PPS
Senior - BHPian

In my Mom's Nokia N79, whenever a call is received the name for some reason isn't shown on the display inspite of it being saved in the contacts!
Only the number gets displayed. What could possibly be the reason for this?
Also the phone has become terribly slow to respond since past couple of months.
The phone is more than 4yrs old!
Old 18th September 2013, 00:12   #10074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
In my Mom's Nokia N79, whenever a call is received the name for some reason isn't shown on the display inspite of it being saved in the contacts!
In Nokia, if the number is saved with more than one name, it will only display the number. Check if this may be the case, and the phone has 4+ years, time for it to be replaced.

As afar as slowing down, restart the phone (battery pull method), and check if the speed improves for the next 4-5 hours. Try and do a battery pull once in 72 hours.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:17   #10075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
In Nokia, if the number is saved with more than one name, it will only display the number. Check if this may be the case, and the phone has 4+ years, time for it to be replaced.

As afar as slowing down, restart the phone (battery pull method), and check if the speed improves for the next 4-5 hours. Try and do a battery pull once in 72 hours.
The same issue persists in my Nokia E63 the day i bought three years ago
Old 18th September 2013, 10:34   #10076
BHPian

Quote:
In addition to what Neo mentioned, by any chance if, the number is stored twice i.e. once with a name and once without, could also lead to this problem.

On the subject of mobile going slow, why don't you download Nokia PC suite and connect your phone to the PC. It will automatically check for firmware upgrade.

You can back up the phone and do the upgrade. This will update your software and also will let you re-set the phone kinda to factory state.

Cheers
Old 18th September 2013, 11:01   #10077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Full battery drain happened after 4 full days (Monday night to Saturday morning) with around 10 hours of calls, wifi on 80% of the time and a lot of fiddling around.
Thats impressive. I guess the battery is the USP of P780 when competitors < 20K are still in the 2500 ish range. How's the voice clarity?

Hows the front camera? Is it VGA or 0.3 MP? I just wished that the phone had come with atleast 8GB internal memory. The phone is on my shortlist.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:25   #10078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Others have already given you the possible reasons for the contact name not showing up.

For the phone slowing down, try these, one after the other:

1. Turn off your phone, leave your battery and SIM out for 5-10minutes and put everything back in and turn it on .

2. Restore factory settings: type *#7780# at the standby screen. Enter 12345 for the security code or the one you've changed it to.

Before you try the next two steps, backup your phone memory using the Nokia PC Suite/Ovi Suite.

3. Soft reset: This will clean up your phone memory. All user data, applications etc stored in the phone memory will be destroyed. Type *#7370#. Enter the security code when prompted; default is 12345.

4. Hard reset: This is the last resort. The effect will be the same as that of a soft reset. Turn off your phone, press and hold down these keys: the call (Green) button, '*', '3'. Turn on your phone without releasing them. Leave the keys only after you see the region selection screen.

Last edited by silversteed : 18th September 2013 at 11:27.
Old 19th September 2013, 10:26   #10079
BHPian

So this is not gonna be exactly on-topic since I didnt know where to post this. So please mods change/remove/shift/dislocate my post if necessary.

Moving on, I am in the process of selling my phone. Now the only good offer(matching my expectation) is coming from a guy in Madurai (I am in Bangalore).

Is it safe to do this transaction without meeting the person? Ill have to obviously give him my bank account Name, number, IFSC code for the bank transfer. Also, Ill have to courier my phone to him (phone value is >30k). What if he says he didnt receive it?

Any advice on this?
Old 25th September 2013, 08:51   #10080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
The biggest giveaway that all these was a strategy all along is that Nokia CEO Stephen Elop (who was a MS executive earlier with huge MS stocks) returns to MS when the remains of Nokia is bigger in terms of no of employees.
Murkier details have emerged in recent filings:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/24/47...id-him-to-fail
http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuit...-nokias-board/

Some of these activities might be illegal in US but they got away since Nokia is governed by finnish laws.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks