Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2013, 11:33   #10006
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Surely it lasts a day on 2G with moderate use, as I am using XOLO A700 and quite happy with it.
There is no fault in this phone only thing is battery charging time, it does take a long time to charge it fully.
Haave look at Q700 now.
Old 17th August 2013, 15:58   #10007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
Go for the Galaxy S4, you won't regret. Regarding the looks, all Samsung androids look the same from a distance. My friend got one recently, and he has not faced any problems yet. The Xperia is not bad either, but still my pick would be the S4.
Regards.
Thank you buddy. My preference as of now is 51:49 in favour of S4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Check out the Lenovo k900. Ticks your first 4 requirements perfectly, especially the premium looks and camera. Its not a regular recommendation but its just come out and lenovo has just started advertising and reviews have been good

Note: it is an intel based phone.
Ooh, that is an awesome phone. But how would be the after sales service in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I would suggest that you try a different brand since your past 2 phones have been Sony.

Have a look at Nexus 4. Also consider Note 2, but wait for Note 3 to be launched.

Rohan
I cant wait for the Note3. I need to buy the phone by the end of this month! The problem with the Nexus 3 is its smaller screen and average camera when compared to the S4 and Z (my top priorities).
Old 17th August 2013, 21:38   #10008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Ooh, that is an awesome phone. But how would be the after sales service in India?

No first hand experience with service centers. But considering that they are a big time player in the PC space and are now heavily focused on mobiles I assume it should be good enough.
Old 17th August 2013, 23:03   #10009
BANNED

For slow charging times, guys what is the output rating of the supplied charger? 5V and how many ampere?
Old 21st August 2013, 14:11   #10010
Senior - BHPian

Do mobile companies charge you for micro SIM's?
I called up an Idea gallery to check and the lady said that idea will include the charges in the bill, but she is not aware of the same.
Also I have to submit the older SIM card.

How are things with other service providers?

@agambhandari: Different phones have different requirements (based on battery size).
Motorola Defy: 850 mA
Motorla Razr HD Maxx: 1175 mA (approx.)

Samsung Note 800 tablet: 2 A
Blackberry Playbook tablet: 2 A (will confirm tonight if would like).

Micromax Q55: 750 mA (approx.)

Last edited by S_U_N : 21st August 2013 at 14:13.
Old 21st August 2013, 14:59   #10011
Senior - BHPian

I have placed an order for a 'cracked' Sprint htc One CDMA (with GSM). Fingers crossed it should come by Monday (or maybe Tuesday). I am getting ready to root it as soon as I get it. I think I will have to get the number transferred to the new MEID. Then I will move stuff from my Dinc2. It will be a pucca CDMA phone, though I hear that GSM can be simultaneously kept active. Let mr see how it goes! I think the bootloader has already been unlocked by the supplier in order to crack it.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:11   #10012
Senior - BHPian

My dad is looking for a sub 10k smartphone, with the most battery life. He does a bit of share trading on the phone and is upgrading from a QWERTY Nokia E63 which is giving battery problems of late. He do not want a big phone to carry around. WiFi and 3G are needed.

Can anyone please suggest how the Samsung Galaxy Ace performs on the battery front?
Old 21st August 2013, 15:12   #10013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
For slow charging times, guys what is the output rating of the supplied charger? 5V and how many ampere?
If you are not concerned about the charging time, you can charge off a USB port, at 100mA. Takes about 3-4 hours to charge a 2100mAh Li battery from 20% to 100%. The regular wall charger rated at 1A takes about an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I called up an Idea gallery to check and the lady said that idea will include the charges in the bill, but she is not aware of the same.

Vodafone doesn't charge you anything extra. Once the micro-SIM gets activated, your other SIM gets deactivated. They don't ask you to produce the regular SIM.

I don't know how things are with other operators

Quote:
Different phones have different requirements (based on battery size).
It's not the battery size, but the battery technology that decides the charging current. You can use a 1A charger for a 1000mAh Lithium battery, it'll charge very quickly. The downside is that the heat generated while charging, would affect the life of the battery.

FYI, HTC provides a 1A wall charger with its Explorer that has a 1230mAh battery, while the charger that comes with a Nexus 4 (2100mAh battery) is rated at 1A too.

Last edited by silversteed : 21st August 2013 at 15:19.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:19   #10014
BHPian

Looking for a smartphone for my sis, requirements are Good Camera, Ease of Use, Storage Should be good, does not hang.

Budget is under 15K max, I have shortlisted the Micromax Canvas HD A116 anyone here used it - hows the response on the phone.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:53   #10015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
My dad is looking for a sub 10k smartphone, with the most battery life.
Check out the Xolo B700 (http://www.xolo.in/b700), probably the only battery focused android phone under 10K.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:30   #10016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
My dad is looking for a sub 10k smartphone, with the most battery life. He does a bit of share trading on the phone and is upgrading from a QWERTY Nokia E63 which is giving battery problems of late. He do not want a big phone to carry around. WiFi and 3G are needed.

Can anyone please suggest how the Samsung Galaxy Ace performs on the battery front?
Why dont you get a new battery? the phone will start singing again - happened to me as well!
Old 21st August 2013, 16:54   #10017
BHPian

Quote:

@agambhandari: Different phones have different requirements (based on battery size).
Motorola Defy: 850 mA
Motorla Razr HD Maxx: 1175 mA (approx.)

Samsung Note 800 tablet: 2 A
Blackberry Playbook tablet: 2 A (will confirm tonight if would like).

Micromax Q55: 750 mA (approx.)
I had got my micro sim from Airtel. They charged me 50/- for home delivery of the Sim. Else it's free.
Old 21st August 2013, 20:39   #10018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Why dont you get a new battery? the phone will start singing again - happened to me as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Check out the Xolo B700 (http://www.xolo.in/b700), probably the only battery focused android phone under 10K.
Thanks for the reply guys. I went and got the Samsung Galaxy S Duos, meanwhile. Got from Univercell for INR 100 more than the flipkart price. Also got the Nokia DC-16 Charger for flipkart price.

3450 mAh battery for the Xolo!!! That's a huge one I guess.

The battery for the Nokia E63 was replaced recently and in the last couple of weeks, the phone goes into test mode and some other mode all of a sudden. The Nokia service center wanted to change the board for INR 3K, but some jugaad (shorting of terminals without the battery) from the net made the phone limp for some more days. Now, dad wanted a better screen too.

The Galaxy Ace, the Univercell people told, was outdated!
Old 21st August 2013, 22:44   #10019
BHPian

Friends, Its time to replace my Galaxy SL. Can someone please recommend a Gsm&3G phone in 20k range with more or less same screen size as that of SL(I dont like larger screen), HD display, Min 1GHz dual core Prcsr & 2GB ram, Andriod, Good battery back up (I use gps and google map in outdoors), Good built quality and class(1. Better build than samsungs 2. My baby girl use my phone to listen music or watch videos and at times drop it ), reliable, Good HD camera with flash, Removable battery, SD card slot and a good brand. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ontheroad : 21st August 2013 at 22:49.
Old 21st August 2013, 23:48   #10020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Looking for a smartphone for my sis, requirements are Good Camera, Ease of Use, Storage Should be good, does not hang.
Check out the Xolo Q800.

Mods pls delete this one as this is a repeated post due to network problems in my mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Check out the Xolo Q800. Meets all your requirements and my wife is more than happy using it for the past 3 weeks. If not for its size I would have got one myself cos am not comfortable handling a phone with a screen size of more than 4".

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd August 2013 at 21:52. Reason: Merged

Most Viewed