Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:18   #9811
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Hi Guys,

My trusty N95 conked off yesterday and I am thinking of buying an Android phone. Can anyone help me with any app which can transfer contacts, sms from nokia to android? I have got wondershare mobile trans, but the free version only supports transfer of 5 contacts at a time. I need something to transfer at one go.
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:20   #9812
BHPian

Can I just take out the SIM from my current mobile, plug it into a blackberry and start using, or do I have to subscribe to BB plans in order to even make calls/SMS?

I plan on buying a used BB 9300 Curve 3G just for the keyboard and build quality, plus occasional browsing, GPS when out of city, so I won't need BB email, or messaging when in city.

Ideally, all I'd need when out on the road would be 3G data, but I sure hope I don't have to also subscribe to BB emails and messaging as well, just for data.

Last edited by hellmet : 22nd May 2013 at 14:21.
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:23   #9813
Senior - BHPian

Recently I saw an advt for a Dual SIM (CDMA+GSM) htc phone. Any reviews, and is it Android?
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:30   #9814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1
Unless you are a game junkie on mobile phone, it doesn't make much difference whether you are on android or windows phone.
I might install some simple games (less size) to pass the time when need be. Not high end ones that might require more space, more RAM et al.

Quote:
For androids, you will have to look towards Micromax and Lava etc if you want really high end specs. Large brand Androids at this price range offer 1-2 years old hardware. But then again, this will not matter as much, as long as you are able to run your applications smoothly (which even the low end spec ones do). So do you really want to run after the latest specs?
My requirements would be (not in that order)--
1) 4.5-5" Screen (would be better if qHD or higher). How good is FWVGA?
2) 1GB RAM (Do I really need this much or 512 MB will do?)
3) .... Processor (I am unable to decide which processor should I opt for, Dual Core or Quad Core)
4) Loudspeaker
4) 3.5 mm Audio Jack (will do if this is absent)
5) Bluetooth
6) Primary Camera >=5MP (Front Camera of >=2MP would be added bonus) with LED Flash.
7) Video Recording
8) Wi-Fi
9) FM
10) GSM (BSNL)
11) Not inclined towards any OS (Android, WP)
12) 4GB Internal Memory

Quote:
Second, your budget is fixed. At this budget Nokia WP offers the better spec.
My Budget is estimated. It Might increase when I actually want to purchase the phone.
Is it risky to go for Brands other than Nokia, Samsung, HTC?
Because my thinking is that these Big Brands charge a premium over other brands like Xolo, Intex, iBall, etc. (I might be wrong here).

I want to try the less known brands for the obvious reasons (they offer VFM).

But I don't want to end up buying a phone like my Samsung B7300 WP 6.5 that used to frequently hang and ASC could not do other than taking my phone, keeping for 2-3 days and returning specifying that "The Phone has been repaired".
Are the lesser known brands worth it?

EDIT:-
How to search and download India-specific Apps in case of WP?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 22nd May 2013 at 17:56. Reason: As above
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:52   #9815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Can someone recommend a solidly built, rugged, button phone within 5K that I can use eyes closed for the next 5 years? Do they even make things like the 1100 anymore? .
I got the Nokia asha 206. Feels solid. Dual sim too. 3700. Decent specs.
Old 24th May 2013, 00:20   #9816
Senior - BHPian

Just bought a nokia lumia720 ! How much time should i keep it for first charge? Manual has nothing about it!
Old 24th May 2013, 07:50   #9817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Just bought a nokia lumia720 ! How much time should i keep it for first charge? Manual has nothing about it!
The phone should get fully charged in an hour. However here (in Singapore) the shops stress on charging the phone for 8 hours for the first time. I am not sure of the reason though
Old 24th May 2013, 08:09   #9818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The phone should get fully charged in an hour. However here (in Singapore) the shops stress on charging the phone for 8 hours for the first time. I am not sure of the reason though
Isn't it the same with most electronics? I remember reading in the manual of my laptop too that it was to be charged for 8 hours for the first time out of the box. Supposedly ensures better battery life.
Old 24th May 2013, 08:30   #9819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Isn't it the same with most electronics? I remember reading in the manual of my laptop too that it was to be charged for 8 hours for the first time out of the box. Supposedly ensures better battery life.
True, its the same case for other devices like laptop as well.
Old 24th May 2013, 09:51   #9820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In simple words it can be said that this is to make the battery know it's full charge capacity. Though I don't remember the source where I read it, it is said that if the battery is not fully charged every time, slowly it forgets its full charge capacity and a decline in it's ability to retain charge. The life of a battery is in terms of number of charge cycles, may it be a 2 minute charge or full charge - It's counted as one cycle ! Hence it's always advisable to fully charge when there is 10% or less charge left in it.
Old 24th May 2013, 17:00   #9821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post

I got the Nokia asha 206. Feels solid. Dual sim too. 3700. Decent specs.
Hey can you confirm if whatsapp works on the dual sim 206? Online reviewers say only the single sim version supports whatsapp
Old 24th May 2013, 17:47   #9822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
In simple words it can be said that this is to make the battery know it's full charge capacity. Though I don't remember the source where I read it, it is said that if the battery is not fully charged every time, slowly it forgets its full charge capacity and a decline in it's ability to retain charge. The life of a battery is in terms of number of charge cycles, may it be a 2 minute charge or full charge - It's counted as one cycle ! Hence it's always advisable to fully charge when there is 10% or less charge left in it.
This is not really true.

The new age Li-Ion or Li-Polymer batteries do not "forget" so simply. That was true of older Ni-Cd batteries.

And a 2 min charge will NOT constitute a charge cycle! Who told you that??

The newage Li-Ion/Poly batteries work best if they are more charged than less (meaning they should not be as much charged as possible rather than to be at near empty levels. By all means, its best to charge your battery very frequently than to charge only when battery falls to very low levels. In fact best is to keep a charging cable at your workplace and plug your phone now and then for quick charges. This way no need to crib about battery life as well.

Lithium ion batteries do not need the "conditioning" of being fully discharged and charged the way NiCd and NiMH batteries do.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:29   #9823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I'm also planning for either a 620 or 720 as a replacement for my cracked screen 5800XpressMusic. Can you please tell me the type of sim that's used, if its a normal sim or micro sim?
Old 24th May 2013, 19:52   #9824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I'm also planning for either a 620 or 720 as a replacement for my cracked screen 5800XpressMusic. Can you please tell me the type of sim that's used, if its a normal sim or micro sim?
It uses a micro-sim.
Old 24th May 2013, 21:45   #9825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post

Hey can you confirm if whatsapp works on the dual sim 206? Online reviewers say only the single sim version supports whatsapp
I don't use it for online communications. It shows viber but no wattsapp. Haven't tried downloading. I use another phone too a galaxy Grand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks