Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 10:55   #9721
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Am looking for a phone for my dad who was happily using nokia 1100 for the past 7 years or so. Now that his phone his getting switched off during a call its time for a new phone. His requirements are making calls and 10 sms/month. Pls suggest me a user friendly phone with a good battery backup and large keypad.
The Nokia 105? Your Dad is used to the Nokia environment and this phone serves his needs well - incredible battery life and durable.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:39   #9722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
After taken over by Google, Motorola mobile division is no longer selling mobile phones in India as of now. But as per their website, they are providing support to existing customers.

As per news, they have shut down their business in India as off and future in India may depends on Google. Hence, these are the stock clearance.

Should that actually worry us in India?
I don't remember visiting "authorized service centers" ever to get the minor repairs/replacements on my phones (or my friend's). And in case of major work (amount equal to phone value), the phone is tossed aside ...

I hope spec wise there are no issues in this Moto Atrix 2 ... for 8K it's a steal

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th April 2013 at 11:44.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:48   #9723
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
No it should not. Even, Motorola is providing service to the customers.

Quote:
I hope spec wise there are no issues in this Moto Atrix 2 ... for 8K it's a steal
Absolutely. What I mean to say back there is, as Motorola is no more in sale officially, as a part of stock clearance we are going to get steal prices.

Even for other brands also, discontinued products sometimes comes at steal prices. Last week i got a S Advance (i9070) at 13k for my dad.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:04   #9724
BHPian

Quote:
What kind of N/W problem? Are you using 2G or 3G ?

If you are using 2G only, then check for Network mode?

My phone drops network very often. But when I put my sim card in another phone it works. And if I put any other sim in my phone it doesn't work.The phone has 3 network modes. Its on GSM mode now.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:13   #9725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't remember visiting "authorized service centers" ever to get the minor repairs/replacements on my phones (or my friend's). And in case of major work (amount equal to phone value), the phone is tossed aside ...

I tried to buy it last week and is been out of stock ever since and I don't think we will see it available at this price in the future.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:14   #9726
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
My phone drops network very often. But when I put my sim card in another phone it works. And if I put any other sim in my phone it doesn't work.The phone has 3 network modes. Its on GSM mode now.
What can I suggest, to put the N/W search mode in manual and check. Have you tried the service center?

A couple of my friends have ACE plus and it was working very fine for them (one of them has Vodafone the other one has Airtel). There could be some software glitches and a reinstall and upgrade may fix it.

Why I am saying this is, ACE plus is a very good handset and selling now will not get you any value compare to what you have spent to purchase it a year back. Hence, if the service center can fix it, then "All Iss Well"
Old 25th April 2013, 14:40   #9727
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. What I mean to say back there is, as Motorola is no more in sale officially, as a part of stock clearance we are going to get steal prices.

Even for other brands also, discontinued products sometimes comes at steal prices. Last week i got a S Advance (i9070) at 13k for my dad.
I bet that S Advance was purchased from Homeshop18.

Agree with you. I have seen Nokia E6 selling at 6k recently here in Bangalore. Small screen, but otherwise killer features for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi everyone, I had been using a Nokia 5800 for last 3 years without any issue. Today morning I noticed that its screen is cracked at 2 places. The phone has had its shares of falls but nothing recent. The phone is still working fine and has no issues. But I'll replace it as it needs a new battery and the screen also is badly scratched. So I want suggestions regarding a phone that's at par with Nokia 5800. I'll prefer a Nokia, single sim, with 3G and touchscreen. I wont go for an Android as I'm already using a Samsung Galaxy S2 with JB and all the works are done using it.
Try looking for the Nokia E6. The model is discontinued though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Quote:
Is there a catch?
What about support issues for Motorola?
Quote:

Try clicking on the "Add to Cart" button on that link. You'd get an Out of Stock message.
EDIT: Saw SPARKled's post just now on this page which mentions the same.

By the way, can anyone suggest a good replacement for a Sony Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i)? It's a fantastic phone by all means, except for a small 3 inch screen and the battery life which is terrible.

It's around 6-7 months old. I have a rare white one, which looks classy. What price can I expect for it?

Last edited by Oxy : 25th April 2013 at 15:02.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:41   #9728
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I bet that S Advance was purchased from Homeshop18.
Sorry mate, it's from croma .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
By the way, can anyone suggest a good replacement for a Sony Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i)? It's a fantastic phone by all means, except for a small 3 inch screen and the battery life which is terrible.

It's around 6-7 months old. I have a rare white one, which looks classy. What price can I expect for it?
I do agree that ex-Ericsson Xperias have terrible battery life. But, sk17i is also a discontinued product. Hence, you will get something that you wont like for the phone.
Better stop back-end data and adjust resolutions to extract a bit more battery life. Alternatively you can use a separate battery or a travel charger. Otherwise just keep it as your backup phone or gift to one of your relative. Because, selling your 6 month mobile will not get you anything apart from loosing a good phone.

Regarding your new phone, what are your requirements?
Old 25th April 2013, 17:55   #9729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Hey
Thanks for the tip. Their customer care replied promptly to my mail. I shall wait for a few more days and then ask for a reship or refund. They have given me those two options.

I shall have to get in touch with the mail man about it.

Regards.

P.s how about a small review of the screenguards? Are they good?
Thats good to hear about their customer care.

I have to sheepishly admit that I have not applied the screen guards yet...
Old 29th April 2013, 11:07   #9730
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Phone: Micromax Canvas HD (A116)

Battery Usage:

After 1 day & 5 hours of usage the battery is still 47% charged:

Usage:
Cell standby - 45%
Phone idle 42%
andriod OS - 4%
Maps - 4% - 13 minutes
Voice Calls - 14 minutes
Screen: 67 minutes.
Games: 3 minutes (by engrohit )

Hope this clarifies everyones doubt about Micromax A116's battery capabilities.

Thanks,
Old 29th April 2013, 14:16   #9731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

Games: 3 minutes (by engrohit )

Hope this clarifies everyones doubt about Micromax A116's battery capabilities.

Thanks,
Don't look at the top score by the way!

That is awesome battery life esp compared to Samsung devices (even the high end one's) which barely scrape through 8 - 10 hours with moderate usage.

I think the only drawback of this phone remains it's Camera, but nonetheless it is an awesome VFM package.
Old 29th April 2013, 14:48   #9732

Hi, can anyone give me a rating for Nokia lumia 520 which is newest of its lumia? Planning to buy one. I want to know if I can share my mobile Internet with devices via wifi (Wifi hotspot like android). Also planning to buy it from CROMA retail online. Is this website a trusted one? I thought of lumia 620 but 520 seems to pack what I wanted in much cheaper price. Any suggestions?
Old 29th April 2013, 15:08   #9733
Senior - BHPian

I think that usage is too little. My phones see 1-2 hours of calling, easily 50 tweets and emails (many over 8-10 lines), with FB/email/tweets syncing all the times. Even the BB doesn't last with over 10% by 8pm. My androids never lasted long enough either.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:16   #9734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedia2013 View Post
Hi, can anyone give me a rating for Nokia lumia 520 which is newest of its lumia? Planning to buy one. I want to know if I can share my mobile Internet with devices via wifi (Wifi hotspot like android). Also planning to buy it from CROMA retail online. Is this website a trusted one? I thought of lumia 620 but 520 seems to pack what I wanted in much cheaper price. Any suggestions?
You may want to subscribe to homeshop18.com super deals. Lumia 520 was available for a mouthwatering price of 9200 a few days back. It is a good webiste and they do deliver the items neatly. I am not sure about internet tethering being available on WP devices.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:56   #9735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post

You may want to subscribe to homeshop18.com super deals. Lumia 520 was available for a mouthwatering price of 9200 a few days back. It is a good webiste and they do deliver the items neatly. I am not sure about internet tethering being available on WP devices.
Officewale.com is offering a similar deal.

Most Viewed