Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 10:30   #9511
BHPian

Sub 15K Android?

My Samsung Wave got dropped yesterday and the screen has broken. I am planning to get an Android. Budget cannot exceed 15k. Preferred brands are Samsung, HTC, and Sony. Would like to use some ebook reader app so larger the screen better.
Any suggestions would be helpful?
Old 21st January 2013, 12:16   #9512
BANNED

Re: Sub 15K Android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
My Samsung Wave got dropped yesterday and the screen has broken. I am planning to get an Android.
Can the screen not be replaced?
Old 21st January 2013, 13:12   #9513
BHPian

Re: Sub 15K Android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Can the screen not be replaced?
My phone is some 2+ years old. Wave has Bada OS with which I am not that happy. In fact i was waiting for an opportunity to move to Android.
And the screen is Super Amoled. Haven't checked personally but had heard the cost of replacement is high.
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:23   #9514
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

The Micromax A116 Canvas 3 soon to be launched looks exciting with Quad core processor,1 GB RAM etc. with the price less than 15K

http://igyaan.in/2013/01/35923/exclu...116-canvas-hd/
Old 25th January 2013, 21:24   #9515
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks!

For the last 6 years, I have been using only BBs for both personal and corporate use. I now want to try an android based phone for personal use and continue to use one BB for corporate usage. Am a complete noob to all this new technology, app world and all the magic stuff on the touch screen phones. My primary requirement is for calls, texts and may be some surfing. Not much interested in music as such since I use iPod for that. Yes, surfing should be smooth and hassle free.

Budget right now is up to 15K. Am actually flexible with this, say up to 30K if the phone is really good but don't want to pay upwards of 40K. Am a real long term user, so I need the phone to last for at least 3 years.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th January 2013, 21:32   #9516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Budget right now is up to 15K. Am actually flexible with this, say up to 30K if the phone is really good but don't want to pay upwards of 40K. Am a real long term user, so I need the phone to last for at least 3 years.

Thanks in advance!
With that budget, you can get one of the best Android phones (Galaxy S3):

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gala...mdbwuthfdz85cc

Cost of this phone is 32k on this site and 30k in local stores.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:47   #9517
BHPian

Quote:
app world and all the magic stuff on the touch screen phones. My primary requirement is for calls, texts and may be some surfing. Not much interested in music as such since I use iPod for that. Yes, surfing should be smooth and hassle free.
If you are not that keen on the apps and all, you can think about windows phones. Nokia 620 will be cheapest good choice in the lot. In the Android world, check the HTC website, One from the new ranges of desire series can impress you which have decent build quality, decent configuration, sleek design and good interface.

Quote:
Budget right now is up to 15K. Am actually flexible with this, say up to 30K if the phone is really good but don't want to pay upwards of 40K.
If you are ready to spend that much, think about Sony Xperia Z HD Android phone. Nokia 820 is VFM choice in Win8 platform

Quote:
Am a real long term user, so I need the phone to last for at least 3 years.
For the build quality and long term survival, you can think for Nokia 920 windows 8 phone.

Unfortunately Motorola has stopped its sales operation in India otherwise their RAZR series would have been best bet in terms of build quality and battery backup. If you are not skeptical about A.S.S than you can try to find a good online deal for any of Moto RAZR.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 25th January 2013 at 22:49.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:44   #9518
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks netfreak and tbppjpr.

So if I don't want the apps, then I'm better off android? And Windows 8 will serve me better for just surfing and the basic functions?

I have noted down the models mentioned here. A quick call to a few friends gives me an indication that Samsung S3 is the phone right now. Let me check all of them in person and report back. And if there are any others worth looking for apart from those mentioned here, please post.
Old 26th January 2013, 13:08   #9519
BHPian

Quote:
So if I don't want the apps, then I'm better off android? And Windows 8 will serve me better for just surfing and the basic functions?
It depends on your priorities, its exactly like how we choose the cars, one person may give preference to good FE whether another person may prefer a powerful car and doesn't mind the FE.

If apps are not your priorities, than it doesn't mean that you get nothing compared to Android while choosing Windows, rather Windows has it's own strong points like a fresh user interface, you look different in a Android crowded world, or if you choose the windows phone from Nokia than you get one of the best offline navigation app etc.

I am an Android user and have no complains with Android, rather I can't think about any other OS right now since Android suites best to my usage pattern. But your priorities are different so make a wise choice.
Old 26th January 2013, 15:54   #9520
BHPian

I have a CDMA smartphone with me and wanted to inquire before I gave up GSM altogether. How good are the data speeds on CDMA networks ? I know that the coverage is good and the data plans cost the same as 3g do.

Thank you in advance.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:17   #9521
BHPian

Finally I have bought the Xolo A700 on last Wednesday 23th of Jan. The phone is excellent performer in everything and extremely well built. Looks like a premium phone with above 20k range.
The only problem is battery charging as it is having Li-polymer 1700mAh, takes hours to charge fully.
I highly recommend this phone to everyone who is looking for the mobile in the limit of 10k.
Old 28th January 2013, 13:43   #9522
BHPian

galaxy s3 is the best bet for now with the specs,you also have a 32gb option available at 35000.there are alot of brands & variants in that range but my suggestion is opt for samsung as the after sales service is very strong,unlike htc & sony
Quote:
Thanks netfreak and tbppjpr.

I have noted down the models mentioned here. A quick call to a few friends gives me an indication that Samsung S3 is the phone right now. Let me check all of them in person and report back. And if there are any others worth looking for apart from those mentioned here, please post.

Last edited by nandishpal : 28th January 2013 at 13:52.
Old 29th January 2013, 18:11   #9523
BHPian

Came across a very good article pertaining to Mobile display parameters

http://tech2.in.com/features/smartph...plified/715782
Old 30th January 2013, 15:37   #9524
BHPian

Any news on SONY XPERIA Z? The release date and price at availability. Man i cant wait for this one. At last an android phone that feels premium!
Old 30th January 2013, 23:05   #9525
BHPian

Re: Ease of use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Windows Phone. Easiest to use smartphone
How about in comparison to iPhone? Are there options for custom ROMs on windows phone?

I am looking for a easy-to-use smartphone for my sister. The most needed features would be like good call quality, low SAR values, good display(4"+), decent camera(5Mpx+) and music capabilities. Budget around 15K.

Pl. advise!

Last edited by JMaruru : 30th January 2013 at 23:10.

Most Viewed