Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 11:22   #9391
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Good choice. Keep us updated with your own review. And why you chose Ray over the U.
Phone is for my father (new to touch & android) used for calls, camera and shooting video, nothing else. Xperia Ray is smaller, has better camera, sharper display, thin and light compared to Xperia U, which are meeting my dad's expectations.

With his limited use of functionality, the strengths of Xperia U (dual core processor, internal storage, etc) didn't appeal to us.
Old 13th December 2012, 08:36   #9392
Senior - BHPian

iBall Asaan, A Phone For The Elderly

I am looking for a mobile phone my Mom can use. It's got to be a very simple phone with voice call feature, a good loudspeaker and a phonebook. Also the phone should be easy to use for a non-tech-savvy person.

On searching the net I came across the iBall Asaan phone. It retails for around 2.5k on Flipkart, and I also came across this video review of the same:

http://thegadgetfan.com/mobile-smart...iew-video.html

I was wondering if any of you have had a chance to use it or see it up close. What's the battery life like? Some reviews claim it's not as great as it should be for a basic featureless phone, while some reviews claim it to be as much as seven days!
Old 13th December 2012, 11:36   #9393
BHPian

Re: iBall Asaan, A Phone For The Elderly

I don't see a voice call feature on the Aasaan. If what you're looking for is ease of use, then I'd recommend nothing else but the Nokia 1280. With average use of around 15-30min talktime per day the battery lasts around 4-5 days. On just standby expect it to last much longer. This I speak from my own experience with the phone. I bought it after losing my smartphone to theft and didn't want to splurge on another.

OT: I'd suggest you buy this at a local store as the price is the same as on Flipkart, and there have been increasingly negative experiences with Flipkart in recent times (includes me), just read the reviews on some products bashing their service.
Old 13th December 2012, 13:37   #9394
BHPian

I own one Asaan. The phone is decent, outdated for the current times though. Many simple features available in Nokia 3100 and the likes are missing. The biggest drawback is the battery life. The phone has a standby time of 10 hours and call last a max of 1.5 hours. I wont suggest this phone until the purpose is to make and receive call only and you can charge it every morning and probably in the evening too.

PS: The emergency feature works well and that is an added plus and works very well. the Alarm is loud and the message is sent to upto five different configurable numbers.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:08   #9395
BHPian

I am too on the same boat as honeybee. Need to buy a simple phone for my mom. Voice calls / Clear display / Alarm / Speed Dials are the only requirements. Built in torch is good to have. Longer battery live is expected.

What do you guys suggest.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:30   #9396
BHPian

Dear honeybee,

I bought this phone last year for my father, thinking that the larger keys will be useful to him. As an instrument to be used for making calls, it is a good device for elderly people. There are no other major features, may be those are not intended for.

But now it has got a display problem and has to be repaired before further usage.

I didn't get time for making that effort, so purchased a basic nokia phone recently, don't remember the model name.

bbhavan.

[quote=honeybee;2988843]I am looking for a mobile phone my Mom can use. It's got to be a very simple phone with voice call feature, a good loudspeaker and a phonebook. Also the phone should be easy to use for a non-tech-savvy person.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:47   #9397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Few 12-12-12 only offers floating around from Junglee and the like. 14 hours left.
I am one of the lucky ones to buy something.

On the spur of the moment, I decided and bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 (with manafacturer warranty) for my wife at a mouth-watering price.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:14   #9398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am one of the lucky ones to buy something.

On the spur of the moment, I decided and bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 (with manafacturer warranty) for my wife at a mouth-watering price.
at what price & where ? As i am looking out to buy one.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:54   #9399
BHPian

I have an iPhone 4S, which i have used close to an year. Thinking of selling it and buy a non apple phone. Would Galaxy S3 make sense?
Old 13th December 2012, 18:15   #9400
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw a Micromax A110 and was impressed. Think it's a fine phone for the price. Quite appropriately, the phone is in huge demand and the White [and in almost all cases, also Black] color model is out of stock with every major mobile retailer in Bangalore, including online retail sites.

If anyone in B'lore knows where this phone is available, in White for Rs. 9990 [or lesser], please could you share the details of the availability? Thanks.

Last edited by k_ajay : 13th December 2012 at 18:37.
Old 14th December 2012, 09:55   #9401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
I have an iPhone 4S, which i have used close to an year. Thinking of selling it and buy a non apple phone. Would Galaxy S3 make sense?
Buying SGS3 will ensure that you will be ahead of technology atleast till apple 6 is launched. And if size is not much of a consideration and you are a power user then you can checkout Note II also. It's a beast and one of the best battery backup inspite of having such huge screen to power and such powerful chipset.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:04   #9402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Buying SGS3 will ensure that you will be ahead of technology atleast till apple 6 is launched. And if size is not much of a consideration and you are a power user then you can checkout Note II also. It's a beast and one of the best battery backup inspite of having such huge screen to power and such powerful chipset.
Thanks for the info Gadgetfreak. I'm getting an iPad from office, so retaining the iPhone would be redundant. I got an offer for 29k for my iPhone 4S in exchange for an New Galaxy S3. I'm not a power user, But use the phone mainly for :
  1. Taking Notes
  2. Facebook
  3. 20% of time on Games
  4. Messaging / Whats App - All through the day

Would the battery back up be better in Galaxy S3? I know Note II is far superior in this, But somehow prefer the S3 for the relatively smaller size.
<The battery performance on the 4S is pathetic!>
Old 14th December 2012, 11:06   #9403
BHPian

Mother lost her 4 yr old Nokia today. I want to gift a non-android Skype compatible phone to her. That's a difficult thing to do because there aren't many of those out there. Could you please help me with this. Thank you.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:45   #9404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h
Mother lost her 4 yr old Nokia today. I want to gift a non-android Skype compatible phone to her. That's a difficult thing to do because there aren't many of those out there. Could you please help me with this. Thank you.
Windows Phone. Easiest to use smartphone
Old 14th December 2012, 16:48   #9405
BHPian

Not sure if i should be putting this here or here

Today morning I saw my mom's mobile phone getting lighted up repeatedly. When i took it I saw numbers getting typed automatically and then dialled. This was going on and on. None of the keys were working and had to remove the battery. Same result when i put put the battery back and switched it on again. This is a very old Nokia phone. Not smart. Any idea what might have caused this?

I was any way planning to buy her a new one. Any suggestion for a very basic phone which is good in ease of use. Only purpose will be to receive and make calls. Would be nice to have bigger keys for better visibility

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks