Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 22:20   #9346
Distinguished - BHPian

Aha...I should look into the asha for my mom too...need to get her a new phone this Sunday!
Old 29th November 2012, 22:51   #9347
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
One way to avoid two sims is to enable WiFi hotspot in N8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Use Joikuspot app and voila , you connect multiple devices.

One more suggestion:

I use my N8 only for mails ( office & Personal) ,Social Media, Videos & Movies and occasional browsing using Pre-paid BSNL 3G and a simple phone with Bluetooth connectivity for office calls or meetings, you could get a BSNL 3G connection for Note II if you are using N8 as main phone.

Also, have been using wireless keyboard mouse on N8 ( Plug & Play) after connecting it to my 42" LCD through HDMI sometimes as well and also play NFS Shift, GT Racing and Asphalt 6 HD games on LCD using the phone.

Want to buy a tablet but for my kiddo.
Already got a shot at it. I tried the free Joikuspot, but it doesn't work, fails to start each time. There is a paid version with more features, but I don't know if I should purchase it when the free one doesn't even work. Maybe I try the reverse, use the Note as Wifi hotspot but once the SIM is cut, there's not going back into the N8. Should be possible to get a new SIM with same number.

Last edited by Ricci : 29th November 2012 at 22:54.
Old 30th November 2012, 00:01   #9348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Already got a shot at it. I tried the free Joikuspot, but it doesn't work, fails to start each time. There is a paid version with more features, but I don't know if I should purchase it when the free one doesn't even work. Maybe I try the reverse, use the Note as Wifi hotspot but once the SIM is cut, there's not going back into the N8. Should be possible to get a new SIM with same number.
This might be a silly Q, but did you switch on the wifi in your phone before starting the Joikuspot?

Because if you haven't that's the reason it didn't work or the app installation didn't happen properly.

I used free one earlier before getting the full version ( The diff being able to set secure wifi and something abt less battery consumption)and works like a charm.
Old 30th November 2012, 00:22   #9349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
This might be a silly Q, but did you switch on the wifi in your phone before starting the Joikuspot?

Because if you haven't that's the reason it didn't work or the app installation didn't happen properly.

I used free one earlier before getting the full version ( The diff being able to set secure wifi and something abt less battery consumption)and works like a charm.
Now, I feel sheepish. Yes, it works on now, however it didn't earlier, when I had Wifi on - and I'm 100% sure of that, but I was not in town then, so that might have been due to network. I was in Goa when I tested it , had WiFi switched on, yet Joiku failed to turn on trying several times , so my guess is network strength, as I didn't have 3G coverage and no signal for part of the way. Even GPS didn't work in some areas.

My bad for not trying it again though, back at home, and thanks for the tip about paid version - I read about the secured connection, but didn't know about battery life aspect. Let me try free version for a few days, then will think of the paid version.
Old 30th November 2012, 01:25   #9350
BHPian

Quote:
Now, I feel sheepish. Yes, it works on now, however it didn't earlier, when I had Wifi on - and I'm 100% sure of that, but I was not in town then, so that might have been due to network. I was in Goa when I tested it , had WiFi switched on, yet Joiku failed to turn on trying several times , so my guess is network strength, as I didn't have 3G coverage and no signal for part of the way. Even GPS didn't work in some areas.

My bad for not trying it again though, back at home, and thanks for the tip about paid version - I read about the secured connection, but didn't know about battery life aspect. Let me try free version for a few days, then will think of the paid version.
You are right, in areas with low n/w connectivity, Joiku won't work. Also, if you have dual band mode in n/w connectivity settings, you won't know when the network switched from 3G to 2G and will be left wondering why Joiku is not working.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 30th November 2012 at 01:28.
Old 30th November 2012, 06:00   #9351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
How is the Nokia Asha 300? I want to get it for my mum because of the camera which is 5mp and the dual action keyboard, physical as well as touch screen.

She uses her phone for calls, sms texts and photos, nothing else.
My sister's got one of those.

The camera is good, as long as the surrounding areas have good lighting.
The screen is the typical Nokia resistive affair. While it has reasonable clarity for the price, view it from an angle, and the colours start deteriorating very rapidly.

The keypad however is classic Nokia. The buttons are big and nicely spaced, and give plenty of tactile feel. Perfect for hammering away.
Old 30th November 2012, 21:13   #9352
BHPian

While the Joikuspot did work on my N8, the Note II refused to detect the network, Ihave the Wifi network named, but it reports it out of range even though both are inches from each other. Anyone have a clue if a minimum distance is needed , or antenna alignment is important enough for it to detected ?
Old 1st December 2012, 00:27   #9353
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the Joikuspot did work on my N8, the Note II refused to detect the network, Ihave the Wifi network named, but it reports it out of range even though both are inches from each other. Anyone have a clue if a minimum distance is needed , or antenna alignment is important enough for it to detected ?
Joikuspot initiates a Ad-hoc connection that Android doesn't support (without rooting etc.) and only requires infrastructure mode connection.
Old 1st December 2012, 13:28   #9354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not use a second hand E71 or maybe a friend can give it away
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I've just given my N81 for a firmware reload. Will try an E71 if my N81 doesn't cut it. Thank you..
I got my N81 back and Skype works well. Would you believe that a 3.5 year old battery can provide for 4 hours of voice chat via Skype and 3 days of standby with Wi-Fi and Skype app running. Why do we put up with these expensive android's that don't last more than a day ?

Back to topic. My question is this, the incoming call notification volume of Skype is really low. I've tried the volume buttons and the in-built settings, but in vain. Do you have the same problem ? Any ideas ?
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:53   #9355
Senior - BHPian

hi guys,
need suggestion for a smart phone for a cousin of mine based on the following requirements:
1. 4" screen
2. Droid 4 or above
3. around 15k budget
4. 5mp camera, auto focus and flash(flash really??, thankgod optical zoom is still not known to jantha)
5. Cute to look(its for a girl, thank god pink is not a requirement!)
6. No dual sim phone please(dont want to sound weird among friends)
The phone should be "built" to be able to withstand a fair bit amount of abuse like minor drops and throw around for at least another 3 years.

(The previous phone was Nokia X6 which withstood all the abuse till a bus ran over it and hence giving rise to this post. Currently the 3110c is serving her.)

Going by the specs, I could only find Xperia J which matches most of the points. But I dont know anything about it or any other phones. Please suggest some phones.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:04   #9356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
hi guys,
need suggestion for a smart phone for a cousin of mine based on the following requirements: 4" screen, 15k, 5MP, Cute
At 33% less, Lumia 510 might be worth considering; albeit the flash and storage if that's a requirement.
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:51   #9357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
hi guys,
need suggestion for a smart phone for a cousin of mine based on the following.....
If she needs an android then try LG Optimus L7

Last edited by chinmaybaikar : 2nd December 2012 at 13:03.
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:39   #9358
BHPian

Planning to buy smartphone, which will be primarily used for calls and camera+video under 15k. Shortlisted Sony Xperia Ray. Any comments on this phone from the owners?
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:53   #9359
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife needed to cut'n'paste info from SMSs to a spreadsheet. I thought that the Nokia PC-Suite, already installed on the laptop she uses, would make this simple.

Plugged in her E71. We could see messages, but not subfolders. Elected to upgrade the software. The download was at old-modem speeds, and it took us through the "you need to install the latest update" cycle twice, and I refused the third time. It still did not provide the required functionality.

Long ago, I decided that, if there was a company whose software was worse to use than MS, it mus be Nokia. The combination is a killer --- and MS and Nokia are to be found in the same device. Pretty though it may be, I will never, ever, go near it.

Nokia Never Again
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:08   #9360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Planning to buy smartphone, which will be primarily used for calls and camera+video under 15k. Shortlisted Sony Xperia Ray. Any comments on this phone from the owners?
Hi, I used it for a while when my phone was not working, its actually my daughter's phone.

Excellent finish (its a golden back one), very light and solid to feel. A nearly perfect screen with nearly 300 dpi. Since it was to be a girl/ladies phone, its sleekness was an advantage, however it looks a little smaller in my hands. Fantastic camera, both for still and video. Though Sony updated it to Android 4, there is no announcement of 4.1, which I am personally waiting for. Its been over an year that we got it and its build quality surprises me still.

Its a stylish phone and will not be mistaken for "another Android" phone category.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks