Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 17:56   #9331
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The ion has radio,and support is promised till 2013 end.
Do take a look if you havent made up your mind yet.
My initial budget was 20k since I can get around 6k worth of voucher for my credit card points, I stretched by budget and I had made up my mind for Xperia S. Until the my friend suggested looking at the Nexus4, which made me confused again! Ion is 32k which is very expensive for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Trust LG will launch the phone by itself (without Google, and in India too), but the price is expected to be almost double of what its retailing for in Google Play store.
I am not sure if Google would allow that, maybe without the Nexus branding. Nevertheless, this is very much possible. I think getting one from someone returing from US/ UK/ AUS is a best option now. I had called LG customer care, the IVR asked me to choose option 2 for product related queries.

CC Lady: How can i help you?
Me: I wanted to know when would LG launch Nexus phone in India
CC Lady: Can I place you on hold for 30 secs?
Me: Sure
Back from hold
CC Lady: Sir, you can get this information from newspaper and advertisments.

Last edited by mac187 : 21st November 2012 at 17:57.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:11   #9332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am not sure if Google would allow that, maybe without the Nexus branding.
Oh, that is very much happening. In fact LG is perhaps launching the phone in India before the end of this year.

Quote:
I think getting one from someone returing from US/ UK/ AUS is a best option now.
As I said, people in US/UK/AUS are already waiting for the next batch of phones to arrive, and rest assured they will be gobbled up the moment they are available. So all the best with that .
Old 24th November 2012, 16:42   #9333
BHPian

What should i be expecting to pay for a Galaxy Note II now?

Please share if you are aware of any good deals online. Looking to pick up one within 1-2days.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:48   #9334
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
What should i be expecting to pay for a Galaxy Note II now?

Please share if you are aware of any good deals online. Looking to pick up one within 1-2days.
Best Price is 33,081/- use Coupon GADGET10
Tradus

pricedealsindia.com/mobiles/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-2-price-in-india-dpi1350.php

Hope to see a review of Galaxy Note II on TBhp

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2013 at 13:05. Reason: Removing pricedeals url based on request from them
Old 27th November 2012, 19:55   #9335
BHPian

Guys am selling my Iphone 4 16GB to purchase Iphone 5. It was purchased in April last year. So how much should I expect for my phone? Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 10:55   #9336
BHPian

I've a 4 year old Nokia N81 that'll need Rs. 700 worth of repairs before it'll work. I 'might' get about ~ Rs. 1,300 at the most if I tried to sell it. The fact that I bought it for 18,000 is making it difficult for me to decide to whether bin it or repair it.

PLEASE HELP.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:06   #9337
BHPian

If you don't mind losing that 600 rupees you can drop it in the recycle bin at any Nokia care Center. Or you could spend that 700 rupees and have the phone as a backup and buy a new phone.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:14   #9338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
If you don't mind losing that 600 rupees you can drop it in the recycle bin at any Nokia care Center. Or you could spend that 700 rupees and have the phone as a backup and buy a new phone.
Rather have it as a backup than in the bin. I just hope it won't need any more repairs. Thank you.
Old 28th November 2012, 20:18   #9339
BHPian

Quote:
My initial budget was 20k since I can get around 6k worth of voucher for my credit card points, I stretched by budget and I had made up my mind for Xperia S. Until the my friend suggested looking at the Nexus4, which made me confused again! Ion is 32k which is very expensive for me.
Why are you choosing Xperia S? Its a old phone.
If its for Camera, it might disappoint you.
I own a Xperia S, day photos are ok but night pics are very bad.
Coming to the design, its not really practical to use the small touch buttons which are small dots - you will get used to it eventually, but will take some time.

On the flip side, screen is great and music sounds very good as well.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:26   #9340
BHPian

OK - so I bit the bullet and took the Android plunge. Got myself a titanium grey Note II, two weeks ago and somewhat doing a facepalm after finding prices drop a couple of grand just a week to 10 days after I bought mine.

One thing I overlooked was the SIM part. The Note 2 requires micro-sim, I have a regular SIM. No problem, I thought , just cut the old SIM and use an adapter for the N8 which takes the regular SIM. Not so easy. Looked up, and found the N8 slot is terribly tight and SIM-adapters tend to break while inserting or removing.
So it looks like I have to go with a second SIM for the Note, which I am delaying as another mobile connection is more unplanned expense. Need to find the best value plans, or to sell the N8 and go single phone.

My rationale was I wanted something for reading/entertainment with a screen bigger than my N8, and originally planned a tablet , the Samsung P310 fitting a nicer price point too. But the size means it's certainly not pocket-able, and meant carrying a bag everywhere, whereas a phone is pocket-able enough, even the Note 2 - which is about the biggest device I could fit in my jeans pocket (I wear loose comfort style jeans). What sealed the decision was a timely no-interest EMI offer from credit card company, as I wasn't keen on spending over 20k for a gadget so soon, but spread over 6 months, became a little harder to resist.

About the phone itself : love the screen, not played much with the stylus yet and long way from rooting/modding it. Being new to Android, I will take my time getting up to speed before making firmware changes. Right now ordered a leather case, will get a memory card next month for the movies and ebooks to be loaded. In built memory available is just around 10GB out of the 16GB advertised. Being SIM-less, haven't made much observation on battery life either. Still to try riding the bike with that in the pocket though. Else it will have to be carried only in my jacket pocket.

Last edited by Ricci : 28th November 2012 at 23:31.
Old 29th November 2012, 11:18   #9341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I own a Xperia S, day photos are ok but night pics are very bad.
Coming to the design, its not really practical to use the small touch buttons which are small dots - you will get used to it eventually, but will take some time.

On the flip side, screen is great and music sounds very good as well.
Thank you for the information, it certainly helps. I dont want to faceplam myself after spending 30grand. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Nexus 4 now.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:37   #9342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
One thing I overlooked was the SIM part. The Note 2 requires micro-sim, I have a regular SIM. No problem, I thought , just cut the old SIM and use an adapter for the N8 which takes the regular SIM. Not so easy. Looked up, and found the N8 slot is terribly tight and SIM-adapters tend to break while inserting or removing.
So it looks like I have to go with a second SIM for the Note, which I am delaying as another mobile connection is more unplanned expense.
One way to avoid two sims is to enable WiFi hotspot in N8.

With that you can use N8 for voice and Note II for Web browsing / apps.
Old 29th November 2012, 15:05   #9343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
One way to avoid two sims is to enable WiFi hotspot in N8.

With that you can use N8 for voice and Note II for Web browsing / apps.
+1 to that.

Use Joikuspot app and voila , you connect multiple devices.

One more suggestion:

I use my N8 only for mails ( office & Personal) ,Social Media, Videos & Movies and occasional browsing using Pre-paid BSNL 3G and a simple phone with Bluetooth connectivity for office calls or meetings, you could get a BSNL 3G connection for Note II if you are using N8 as main phone.

Also, have been using wireless keyboard mouse on N8 ( Plug & Play) after connecting it to my 42" LCD through HDMI sometimes as well and also play NFS Shift, GT Racing and Asphalt 6 HD games on LCD using the phone.

Want to buy a tablet but for my kiddo.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 29th November 2012 at 15:09.
Old 29th November 2012, 21:22   #9344
BHPian

So finally i got my mom a Nokia Lumia 510. Thanks a lot for suggesting me the phone guys. Now the only problem is that the battery life is very very poor. it doesnt even run for more than 8 hrs on standby.

This is a first windows phone in my family so nobody really knows the tips and tricks of it. Can you please help. No apps are installed and every possible thing which can take the battery usage has been switched off but still no gain in battery life.

Help !
Old 29th November 2012, 21:38   #9345
Senior - BHPian

How is the Nokia Asha 300? I want to get it for my mum because of the camera which is 5mp and the dual action keyboard, physical as well as touch screen.

She uses her phone for calls, sms texts and photos, nothing else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks