Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 13:54   #9316

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Need some help folks, I'm planning on buying a new phone, have shortlisted the below:-
1) Iphone 5
2) Iphone 4s.
3) Google LG nexus 4.
4) Samsung S3.
5) HTC Windows 8X.

Just go for Nexus 4. 1) Build is awesome 2) you get RAW andriod (No Custom UI like HTC sense,Samsung Touchwiz etc) 3) Android is getting better, yeah butter smooth 4) US$300+Local taxes should be INR 28k-30k.
Old 16th November 2012, 16:04   #9317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I suggest you get Nexus 4. Why? 1) It saves you some money. 2) You say you're a gadget freak, so it's a more of a gadget that iPhone any day (according to me). 3) It'll get Android updates for next 2 years at least. And Nexus will get immense community support in the future. 4) It's, as of this moment, the fastest phone.

I've lost my faith in Apple ever since the great turtleneck-wearing-geek walked past the pearly gates. Horrible, amateurish mistakes in their iOS 6 updates.

Just waiting for the official release of LG Nexus 4.
You are right that the nexus 4 offers tremendous value for money. But when it comes to reliability Android fails big time. I have had 2 android devices untill now and the amount of force closures while browsing, or the no of times the phone just hangs on you is so frustrating. I bought a HTC One V for my wife which has 4.0 and even though it is much better than the 2.3, i wouldnt say it is top notch. I'm coming across a lot of s3 users complaining of some niggles as well. In the case of Iphones, I feel that they are far more reliable, do not fail you this frequently. My brother has a 3gs and he swears that the phone has rarely troubled him in spite of it being a generation old. Which is why I considered Windows as an alternative { being much cheaper than the iphone and fairly reliable when compared to Android}, but the fact that many apps are not yet customized for windows is a big turn off.
Old 16th November 2012, 16:17   #9318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks
Need some help folks, I'm planning on buying a new phone, have shortlisted the below:-
1) Iphone 5
2) Iphone 4s.
3) Google LG nexus 4.
4) Samsung S3.
5) HTC Windows 8X.

To me the 4S seems the safest bet, not so expensive, proven, reliable. But at 38.5k, it is just 7k cheaper than the 5.
I read reviews about the nexus 4 and it seems reasonably ok and i think it might be priced around 26-28k in India and seems like a good deal when compared to the 4s or 5.
Need your suggestions.
I am a recent convert to the I 4S. I think it is a very nice phone indeed and would heartily recommend it.
I ve been in the Nokia camp for absolutely ages, my last phone being an N8. I won a Lumia in a Golf Tournament and force upgraded my wife to it.
The Windows phone is certainly Nokias answer to iPhone and the touch interface is almost as nice as that of the iPhone. However, the iphone is simply more desirable by far. Also, in my case, part of the reason to move to the I 4s was to migrate completely into the Apple ecosystem.

I have a number of docks and stuff from JBL and so on, all of which will work well with the 4S but not with the 5 because in the 5 they have gone and changed all the connectors, which to me is a pain!
Old 18th November 2012, 09:09   #9319
Senior - BHPian

Ok, after a lot of contemplating, I have decided that either I'm going to go all out and buy the Iphone 5 or stick to something under 25k, which then has to be an Android or windows phone since there are no other options.
If Android, which one would you all recommed? Galaxy nexus is taking too long to come to india. Other good fast phones under 25k.
And with regard to windows, HTC seems to be the only one out with the 8 update.
As said earlier, my only apprehension about windows is that I feel i would be probably be isolated in the world of androids and iphones. Some apps may not be available in windows 8. And i feel its too early to take the risk on a windows phone.
Old 18th November 2012, 09:37   #9320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Ok, after a lot of contemplating, I have decided that either I'm going to go all out and buy the Iphone 5 or stick to something under 25k, which then has to be an Android or windows phone since there are no other options.
If Android, which one would you all recommed? Galaxy nexus is taking too long to come to india. Other good fast phones under 25k.
As said earlier, my only apprehension about windows is that I feel i would be probably be isolated in the world of androids and iphones. Some apps may not be available in windows 8. And i feel its too early to take the risk on a windows phone.

Nexus 4 will be launched by end of this month according to Saholic's FB update. I suggest you wait for it. Or grab Note2 from here: http://superdeals.homeshop18.com/dea...iba-superdeal/
It's a beast of a phone.
Old 18th November 2012, 18:10   #9321
BANNED

My dad wants to replace his Nokia 5800 XM with a new Smartphone. His primary requirement is that he should be able to carry out the basic tasks like Making a Call, Receiving calls, Reading SMSes without the need for his spectacles.
So I suggested a Windows Phone. It does have Jumbo size Fonts for everything. Will choose a particular model later
Any Suggestions?
Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 19:10   #9322
Senior - BHPian

@agam: omnia W is a phone my friend has a good exp with. u may see its WP8 brother

@MW: We bought the Samsung GNex yesterday. Its available 19500 without bill but is an awesome beast- we'll earn interest on the money saved vs SGS3
Old 19th November 2012, 14:17   #9323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@agam: omnia W is a phone my friend has a good exp with. u may see its WP8 brother

@MW: We bought the Samsung GNex yesterday. Its available 19500 without bill but is an awesome beast- we'll earn interest on the money saved vs SGS3
Hey congrats on the G nex. Where did you get it from? Im from Bangalore, so Im not sure whether its available here.
Any idea about the official launch?
Old 20th November 2012, 10:41   #9324
BHPian

Hi, i need some urgent help here. I am using a BB 8520 with the airtel 399 BIS plan. Since yesterday, my email, apps, BBM and opera browser is not working. I can surf the net from the stock browser and also whatsapp is working fine. Can you guys tell me what is the issue. It seems that the internet is working. I tried the battery pull trick and also re-registering the device. Still no luck. Please help

Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 15:39   #9325
BHPian

Problem solved. My BIS plan was deactivated . Reactivated again and everything's working now !
Old 20th November 2012, 22:36   #9326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks
I would suggest you to wait for Lumia 920/820. I'm not very impressed with my Xperia S. Once it Lumia comes out, I'll sell my XS.

I've seen posts saying Windows is a risk.. It's well worth it. With what I've seen on a modest spec Lumia 710 with Windows 7.5, Windows 8 seems to be more desirable.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:04   #9327
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here bought a Lenovo Smartphone?

The specs to price ratio seems promising, but I am yet to see any online retailer stocking it. No proper review anywhere either.

This Phone intrigues me:

The Lenovo Ideaphone S560
Old 21st November 2012, 14:30   #9328
BHPian

I am in market for a smartphone. You may find it strange, I am looking to avoid Samsung as its become too common among my peers. Also want to avoid windows phones for a while.

I was thinking of picking up Xperia S as the design caught my attention but since its almost a year old and one can't expect longer support than another year. The Nexus 4 caught my attention, its almost all that I am looking for in a phone, the only missing feature is Radio.

If anyone is using the same in India, please do share a review on the phone. Also, which is the best way to purchase one?
Old 21st November 2012, 15:51   #9329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187
I am in market for a smartphone. You may find it strange, I am looking to avoid Samsung as its become too common among my peers. Also want to avoid windows phones for a while.

I was thinking of picking up Xperia S as the design caught my attention but since its almost a year old and one can't expect longer support than another year. The Nexus 4 caught my attention, its almost all that I am looking for in a phone, the only missing feature is Radio.

If anyone is using the same in India, please do share a review on the phone. Also, which is the best way to purchase one?
The ion has radio,and support is promised till 2013 end.
Officially running ICS with JB out in q1,2013.
Do take a look if you havent made up your mind yet.
I'm still to see another one.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:06   #9330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
The Nexus 4 caught my attention, its almost all that I am looking for in a phone, the only missing feature is Radio.

A lot of people would like to know that . Nexus4 sold out in like 30 minutes when Google launched it on their Play store across different countries. Post that, people are still waiting for the next batch of phones to become available.
Trust LG will launch the phone by itself (without Google, and in India too), but the price is expected to be almost double of what its retailing for in Google Play store. Which will bring it in the price range of a host of other similar spec-ed phones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks