Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 02:37   #9181
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Stupid question but need some help. I lost my original earphones that came with my Galaxy S2. They used to work like a charm. Now ever since that, I have tried using many headphones ( borrowed from friends ranging from nokia to HTC ) but none of them seem to work properly with my phone. I can listen to music but only the background music. The voice of the singer is not clear ( don't know how to explain this). To add to it even my laptop refuses to accept these headphones and does so only after a lot of manipulating the wires. It works when I pull the pin out to a certain extent. My original S2 earphones used to work superbly with both my phone and my laptop.

So this has left me really confused. Are the earphones configured differently? Do I need to change some settings on my phone? Is it a hardware issue with my phone? And above all which set of headphones can I buy which would work with my phone?
This happens because the 3.5 mm jack is not standard as is erroneously believed. The connectors on the jack are differently configured by different manufacturers. According to my observation, there are 2 or 3 different standards. I cannot recall offhand which manufacturers are part of which group.

There is nothing you can do like changing settings or anything. You have only 2 options - use an adapter or buy a compatible headset. Many Philips headsets (not headphones) come with adapters. Not seen any other manufacturer who includes an adapter in the pack. Has anybody else seen any other manufacturer including adapters in the pack?

However, you may not like using an adapter due to usability and aesthetic concerns.

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th September 2012 at 02:38.
Old 14th September 2012, 09:22   #9182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
b. Pricing: Motorola has some weird logic whereby the defy is available for really cheap online. (15k letsbuy vs 19k in store when i bought it).
Fully agree about the huge difference in pricing even now. Following is my experience in last few weeks:
Infibeam (online): Rs. 13199, before few days it was Rs. 12750.
Reliance digital: Shocked to see a price of Rs. 10999. On enquiry, it was their last demo piece.
Chroma: Rs. 15K for the last display piece
Flipkart (online): Rs. 12999

Chroma and reliance digital will not be having fresh stock of defy plus.
Old 14th September 2012, 21:49   #9183
AVR
BHPian

In a twist of fate that pretty much sums up my clarity of thought when it comes to buying a phone, I ended up buying a phone which has the following special attributes:
1) It was out of my budget and hence never considered
2) It was never 'researched' in the past 6 months except the cursory glances on the web
3) It's bigger than what I'd ever think about buying

I think the fact that I love my Jeep also explains at some level the irrationality of some decisions I take. Such as this one.

Done with the rant, the fact is that I loved the phone. And while I saw it, I guess I was blinded. So here I am, updating from GB to ICS.

Thanks for all your help and apologies that it had nothing to do with my eventual purchase. lol

Btw, I bought the Motorola RAZR. See you guys on the Android thread more often now.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:59   #9184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
There is nothing you can do like changing settings or anything. You have only 2 options - use an adapter or buy a compatible headset. Many Philips headsets (not headphones) come with adapters. Not seen any other manufacturer who includes an adapter in the pack. Has anybody else seen any other manufacturer including adapters in the pack?
Another workaround is to balance the output to either left or right earphone (if the app allows such a setting). I do it for my Neo V earphones on my laptop. Wihtout that, I only hear background music as the OP mentioned.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:13   #9185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon

This happens because the 3.5 mm jack is not standard as is erroneously believed. The connectors on the jack are differently configured by different manufacturers. According to my observation, there are 2 or 3 different standards. I cannot recall offhand which manufacturers are part of which group.

However, you may not like using an adapter due to usability and aesthetic concerns.
Agreed the nokia 3.5mm headset doesnt work with the htc or the motorola. Both work with each other n all work with my laptop. Weird it is!!
Old 15th September 2012, 12:57   #9186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
... I have tried using many headphones ( borrowed from friends ranging from nokia to HTC ) but none of them seem to work properly with my phone. I can listen to music but only the background music. The voice of the singer is not clear ( don't know how to explain this). ...
Doc, did you by any chance try a headset with a 2.5mm jack? Your description, especially "after a lot of manipulating the wires", makes it sounds like that is the case. You can make out the difference if you look closely at the gap between the pin and the socket. To be certain, go to any shop that has headphones on display (like Apple stores) and see if those work with your phone - they are all with 3.5mm jacks. If so, buy a new good headset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
This happens because the 3.5 mm jack is not standard as is erroneously believed. The connectors on the jack are differently configured by different manufacturers. ...
No, the jacks are pretty much standard - 3 connection for headphones or 4 connections for headset (headphone + microphone). Almost all modern audio-duty headphones come with a 1/4" TRS jack, with an adapter for 1/8" (3.5mm) - or vice versa.

In a headset jack (with Mic, 4 connections, a.k.a. TRRS jack - tip, ring, ring, sleeve):
- The sleeve of the jack (closest to the plastic) is Mic / Control
- The first ring after sleeve is for shield ground (there is a reason for that)
- The next ring is Audio L output
- The tip is Audio R output

In a headphone jack (no Mic; 3 connection, TRS jack - tip, ring, sleeve):
- The sleeve is ground. The sleeve is longer here, and covers the first ring of a TRRS jack, and which is shield ground
- The ring is Audio L output
- The tip is Audio R output

One has to be careful with what type of socket the equipment has. Some laptops have 3 connection jacks, and a separate socket for microphone. Conventional laptop over-the-ear headsets from Logitech etc. come with 2 jacks. Some, like Apple, have a single 4 connection socket for a headset, so it works well with the 3.5mm TRRS jack of a bud-type iPhone headset. I have a B&O stereo headset with a 3.5mm jack, and that works too with my MBP, and I have tried it successfully with HTC HD2 and Galaxy S2.

Some cellphone handsets come with 2.5mm TRRS sockets (or TRS if a mono headset), with matching headset in the box. And then one is jacked if the headset gets lost!
Old 15th September 2012, 15:18   #9187
BHPian

Qwerty Phone with best battery life within 10-15k INR

Hi Guys,

Need advise on buying a simple cell phone for my brother's birthday (business use) meeting the following criteria in order of importance:

- Best possible Battery Life (talktime)
- Qwerty Keypad
- Budget up to 15k

Would like to stick to the MNCs like Nokia / Samsung / Sony / HTC / Blackberry, etc.

Please recommend early as his birthday is on the 17th of Sept!!
Old 16th September 2012, 07:10   #9188
BHPian

If battery life, qwerty keypad is the criteria then according to me Blackberry Curve 9320 is the best option. It has got a very good battery life. It also comes with latest BB OS. It has 3.2 mp camera with flash. Hope this helps.
Old 16th September 2012, 09:09   #9189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49
Hi Guys,

Need advise on buying a simple cell phone for my brother's birthday (business use) meeting the following criteria in order of importance:

- Best possible Battery Life (talktime)
- Qwerty Keypad
- Budget up to 15k

Would like to stick to the MNCs like Nokia / Samsung / Sony / HTC / Blackberry, etc.

Please recommend early as his birthday is on the 17th of Sept!!
When it comes to qwerty keyboards and business use i guess Blackberry is the only option to be considered

What i'll still suggest is that, try digging out from your brother as to which phn hi personally likes.
Ask him randomly that u were thinking to buy a blackberry and what does he think about the phone.
Try digging out his choice his opinion on different phones, coz at the end of the days its he who has to use the phone.

Wish him a happy b'day from my side as well
Old 16th September 2012, 13:20   #9190
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a sony xperia for 16.5 yesterday without warranty. Hope its s good deal.
Old 16th September 2012, 14:05   #9191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
Picked up a sony xperia for 16.5 yesterday without warranty. Hope its s good deal.
Depends on which xperia you got? U,P,S?
Old 16th September 2012, 14:09   #9192
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, missed it. its Sony Xperia P, 16gb maroon.
Old 16th September 2012, 20:11   #9193
BHPian

Need Urgent Inputs....!

Friends, I need some inputs (authentic/personal experience) pertaining to getting a duplicate SIM of Airtel. I lost my mobile during a train journey from Pune to Coimbatore. I contacted customer care center of Airtel and got the SIM blocked. As I am using this SIM for the last five years I would like to continue with the same number.

But when I contacted Customer Care center, they said the duplicate SIM can be issued by Maharashtra circle only. That means I have to wait till I reach Pune for getting a duplicate SIM. Is it true..? That means, if I wish to relocate to some other parts of India and I am using the same number, whenever I need a duplicate SIM, I should visit Maharashtra..?

When I put this question to customer care, they did not answer it properly.. So I think some of the Team-BHPians can give some inputs...

Waiting for your inputs..
Old 16th September 2012, 20:40   #9194
BHPian

Re: Need Urgent Inputs....!

Though have got the SIM blocked a couple of times but I was always in town to get a duplicate one. The only solution I can think in this situation is to have one of your family/friends with a letter of authority from you visit Airtel Center and then courier the SIM to you.
Old 16th September 2012, 21:58   #9195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik

When it comes to qwerty keyboards and business use i guess Blackberry is the only option to be considered

What i'll still suggest is that, try digging out from your brother as to which phn hi personally likes.
Ask him randomly that u were thinking to buy a blackberry and what does he think about the phone.
Try digging out his choice his opinion on different phones, coz at the end of the days its he who has to use the phone.

Wish him a happy b'day from my side as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie
If battery life, qwerty keypad is the criteria then according to me Blackberry Curve 9320 is the best option. It has got a very good battery life. It also comes with latest BB OS. It has 3.2 mp camera with flash. Hope this helps.
Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that he already has a Blackberry 9900 on his personal number and this second phone will replace his ageing Nokia N72 on his business number whuch is 2G.

I checked a lot of reviews online and got great feedback on the Nokia E5. Its rated for a talktime of 12hrs on a 2G network which is 2x the rated talktime on the BB 9220 / 9320.

I think the Nokia E5 should be perfect for his needs.

Would appreciate feedback and opinions from E5 users...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks