Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 22:49   #9166
AVR
BHPian

The irony of my phone saga is that for months when phones were available in front of me I couldn't decide and when I finally decided on the Atrix2 I can't find it in a store in Ahmedabad! Most dealers mentioned that service experience with Motorola is especially unreliable and non-existent!

What do I do now?
Old 13th September 2012, 02:55   #9167
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
The irony of my phone saga is that for months when phones were available in front of me I couldn't decide and when I finally decided on the Atrix2 I can't find it in a store in Ahmedabad! Most dealers mentioned that service experience with Motorola is especially unreliable and non-existent!

What do I do now?
Isn't it available online? Don't believe dealers. Try and verify their claims about service yourself.
Old 13th September 2012, 04:47   #9168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What do I do now?
Ask owners. Most dealers just plain lie through their teeth. I mean, cmon. Unless its a trusted guy you've known for a decade.

My HTC went in for a warranty repair that took 12 days - I had no updates nothing. I was the loser who had to call them up. Their front office is separate from the service center (5km apart) which adds 2 days of transit time !!

In motorola, its a neat small setup (atleast in gurgaon) - the 3-4 technicians sit right there. No queue. They do it all in front of you, show you what's the issue, and even throw in some freebies (i had broken my battery cover, got a new one gratis). Of course, a warranty repair would've taken a few days since no one signs off on such things easily (even a motherboard repair in a SGSL took a friend over a week) - but I would've known the exact issue on day one, and the process would've started right away.

With HTC its like "expect the phone when you get it, and keep calling till then".
Old 13th September 2012, 08:40   #9169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Urgent ! Help !
A friend of mine wants to buy an android. The budget is 12-14K. It should be reliable with a decent cam, at least a 3.5" screen.

What i have suggested for now is:
1. Motorola Defy plus
2. Sony ericsson Xperia Tipo (ICS but small screen)
3. Galaxy Ace duos (No galaxy ace because of 170mb onboard storage)
4. Micromax A90/A100 (Wanted to go for it but it has been weeks since i placed order on Flipkart, and no response till now. Cancelled)

Please suggest one ! Might go for one today in the evening itself !
Thanks
No suggestions from anyone ! I went ahead and got my friend a Karbonn A18 for 10.3 K. Initially was a bit skeptical but it was hard to resist a 4" IPS display, ICS and touch focus.
Build quality is ok-ok but overall there is no match in the similar price range.

I suggested HTC Desire C initially, but a 600 mhz processor and small screen put her off. I even pointed out 'Beats Audio" but still no interest whatsoever !
Old 13th September 2012, 11:51   #9170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
No suggestions from anyone ! I went ahead and got my friend a Karbonn A18 for 10.3 K. Initially was a bit skeptical but it was hard to resist a 4" IPS display, ICS and touch focus.
Build quality is ok-ok but overall there is no match in the similar price range.

I suggested HTC Desire C initially, but a 600 mhz processor and small screen put her off. I even pointed out 'Beats Audio" but still no interest whatsoever !

Why no A90 or A100 ?
Old 13th September 2012, 12:21   #9171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

Why no A90 or A100 ?
Wasnt available. Placed order on flipkart, shipment delayed for a week, when i called,they informed that my order has been cancelled. It isnt available anywhere. Couldnt wait any longer!
Old 13th September 2012, 13:54   #9172
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Isn't it available online? Don't believe dealers. Try and verify their claims about service yourself.
I would prefer to see it in person before picking it up. Helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ask owners. Most dealers just plain lie through their teeth. I mean, cmon. Unless its a trusted guy you've known for a decade.
The fact that most of the big mobile shops in Ahmedabad including Croma and the MobileStore don't carry it must mean something about credibility?
Just wondering if I should start looking at the other two options I had considered ie Xolo and Xperia Sola . Back to square one!
Old 13th September 2012, 14:01   #9173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fact that most of the big mobile shops in Ahmedabad including Croma and the MobileStore don't carry it must mean something about credibility?
Just wondering if I should start looking at the other two options I had considered ie Xolo and Xperia Sola . Back to square one!
It is a very simple set of reasons:
a. Corporate tieups: Easyday (Walmart) doesn't carry any brand except Nokia and Samsung. Are Sony or BB not credible? LOL. btw, Reliance carried defy. Croma carried the original defy and others (Charm/Milestone). As did the Central guys. Back in 2011 when i bought mine. No idea now
b. Pricing: Motorola has some weird logic whereby the defy is available for really cheap online. (15k letsbuy vs 19k in store when i bought it). that unfortunately makes dealers even more unwilling to sell it.

Rest, you should judge the phone on its merits. PM har$hal (who has it in Ahd, check his exact nick in the android thread)

Lastly, there are atleast hundred+ BHPians here. Only one of us had an issue (normally_crazy) with its hardware. The rest of us are enjoying its "credibility"

/get the Micromax A100/A90. Even that is damn neat in the same price.

Last edited by phamilyman : 13th September 2012 at 14:03.
Old 13th September 2012, 19:54   #9174
Distinguished - BHPian

Stupid question but need some help. I lost my original earphones that came with my Galaxy S2. They used to work like a charm. Now ever since that, I have tried using many headphones ( borrowed from friends ranging from nokia to HTC ) but none of them seem to work properly with my phone. I can listen to music but only the background music. The voice of the singer is not clear ( don't know how to explain this). To add to it even my laptop refuses to accept these headphones and does so only after a lot of manipulating the wires. It works when I pull the pin out to a certain extent. My original S2 earphones used to work superbly with both my phone and my laptop.

So this has left me really confused. Are the earphones configured differently? Do I need to change some settings on my phone? Is it a hardware issue with my phone? And above all which set of headphones can I buy which would work with my phone?
Old 13th September 2012, 20:30   #9175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It works when I pull the pin out to a certain extent. My original S2 earphones used to work superbly with both my phone and my laptop.
That indicates a compatibility issue. Headphones have two kinds of connectors:

1. headphone "only" connector (probably S2 has this kind)
2. headphone + mic connector (for hands-free, and to still keep headphone stereo). These have an extra pin.

Try attaching a really cheap headphone to S2.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:39   #9176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Stupid question - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - snip - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - es configured differently? Do I need to change some settings on my phone? Is it a hardware issue with my phone? And above all which set of headphones can I buy which would work with my phone?
I've used a BB headset without any issues on my old Samsung tab for movies, as well as Skype.
And yes, the problem you face is because of pins.
Old 13th September 2012, 21:02   #9177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
So this has left me really confused. Are the earphones configured differently? Do I need to change some settings on my phone? Is it a hardware issue with my phone? And above all which set of headphones can I buy which would work with my phone?
Even I have noticed this problem with the new earphones that come with the phone (HTC, Motorola etc.). You can hear well if you press the button around the mic (or below). Quite inconvenient though. I am also interested to know if there is any workaround.
Old 13th September 2012, 21:17   #9178
BANNED

^^BT is one not so cheap but superb option for music as well as calls.
Old 13th September 2012, 22:43   #9179
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats surprising is that all the earphones I tried that didn't work on my phone, didn't work on my laptop either. Till date almost all earphones have worked on my laptop. So this is what got me worried as to what went wrong.
Old 13th September 2012, 22:52   #9180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Whats surprising is that all the earphones I tried that didn't work on my phone, didn't work on my laptop either. Till date almost all earphones have worked on my laptop. So this is what got me worried as to what went wrong.
I am using my earlier samsung earphones, The same one which comes with S2/Note, With my HTC, laptop, and every other device.

And, I tried same with HTC earphones, Works on my laptop/samsung. No issues, here

Cheers,
Sameer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks