Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 14:43   #9136
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

does the indian galaxy note come a disabled NFC chip that gets unlocked in ICS?

extensive googling has made me more confused. there are a lot of versions with NFC enabled.
any one here has NFC enabled in their note?
Old 7th September 2012, 16:06   #9137
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need an opinion on which phone to buy from my dad.

His budget is upto 15k and he is platform agnostic. Requirements are simple:
1. Calling and SMS
2. Occasional emails (once a day or maybe once in 2-3 days)
3. Good battery life

I was looking at Nokia Lumia 610/710 and HTC Desire C (we missed the Aircel iPhone 3GS offer otherwise that would have been perfect).

So out of these two, what makes better sense?

Any other (preferably QWERTY) phone? I wish E71 was still in production!
Old 7th September 2012, 16:59   #9138
Senior - BHPian

For basic requirements like good battery life, calling, sms etc - Nokia phones are the best.

I would suggest E5 if QWERTY is required.

If touchscreen is required, 603 could be considered.

Rohan
Old 7th September 2012, 21:39   #9139
AVR
BHPian

So I have been to the store to decide on a phone for months now. Started off with wanting the HTC ChaCha but over time realised its rather low spec.
My visit the day before brought me down to a few options:
1. Intel Xolo
2. Xperia Sola
Which one would be better? No particular requirements apart from a good overall experience with fast processor, office email, good camera and handle a bit of rough usage (. Have a knack of dropping my phone all the time). the Xperia is good all round except that having a non-changeable battery is a let down. On the other hand, Xolo is good but haven't met anyone using it!

Any other alternatives? Don't like the HTC One V. Budget is around 20K roughly but surely not above 25k. My trouble is that there are so many phones on display that all my online research is forgotten and I get confused so am 6 trips down always with the idea of picking it up and I come back empty handed! Lol

Thanks for the help
Cheers,
Adi
Old 7th September 2012, 21:45   #9140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
So I have been to the store to decide on a phone for months now. Started off with wanting the HTC ChaCha but over time realised its rather low spec.
1. Intel Xolo
2. Xperia Sola
Which one would be better? No particular requirements apart from a good overall experience with fast processor, office email, good camera and handle a bit of rough usage (. Have a knack of dropping my phone all the time). the Xperia is good all round except that having a non-changeable battery is a let down. On the other hand, Xolo is good but haven't met anyone using it!

Any other alternatives? Don't like the HTC One V. Budget is around 20K roughly but surely not above 25k. My trouble is that there are so many phones on display that all my online research is forgotten and I get confused so am 6 trips down always with the idea of picking it up and I come back empty handed! Lol

Thanks for the help
Cheers,
Adi
Hey Adi,

Alternatives! check out the Motorola Altrix 2, nice specs and vfm.

http://www.flipkart.com/motorola-atr...4-c6645661d6f0
Old 7th September 2012, 23:07   #9141
BHPian

Got replacement for my Nokia N8 after numerous calls & emails over 2 months !!

Finally, i got my Nokia N8 replaced !

I had given my N8 for service which used to switch off by itself to the Nokia care centre called Mend Square on Richmond Road, Blore. Beware, this place is a huge con job and i got cheated with a bill of R 6,000 for nothing which was done on the phone ! The same problem repeated immediately

After 5 reminders and calls to the Nokia India helpline (which frankly is a useless investment by Nokia India) i got so frustrated that I searched on google and got the contact details of the HQ in Finland, i was advised to post on the FB wall of Nokia Singapore, which i did while also posting on the FB wall of Nokia India.

I was immediately contacted by Nokia India representative who called me and offered to come and pick up the phone from my residence !! However I said that i will visit another centre and the treatment there was much
better ( Accurate care on CMH Road. )

After testing the phone for 2 weeks, they concluded that the phone had some major issues and even though the phone was out of warranty, they replaced it with a brand new phone which had been tested for some time !

Am posting for the benefit of other Nokia owners out there who have faced service issues & dont know what to do -

- Post on the FB page of Nokia Singapore & India for faster resolution

- Drop a mail to - nokiaindiadigitalmarketing@ovi.com

Cheers !

Last edited by aah78 : 9th September 2012 at 00:57. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:05   #9142
BANNED

Lost faith in Nokia. Friend bought a N8 when it was launched, and as soon as he came home it gave problems. Took it back and the store said [reluctantly] that they would replace it but would not replace if the second one had an issue.

So, he asked them to try the replacement there and then, and it was not working out of the box. They reluctantly refunded his money. What crap. They have to replace even if the second and third units of NEW phones are faulty. They said that if the second unit was bad, he would need to get it repaired at a service center. This is for a NEW phone?
Old 8th September 2012, 20:50   #9143
BHPian

Need help for sleek android phone for about 10k for wife.The only requirements are long battery life,good screen,glitch free, very responsive touch and of course good looks. Other features like GPS, 3G, Wifi are optional.
Old 8th September 2012, 21:36   #9144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Lost faith in Nokia. Friend bought a N8 when it was launched, and as soon as he came home it gave problems. Took it back and the store said [reluctantly] that they would replace it but would not replace if the second one had an issue.

So, he asked them to try the replacement there and then, and it was not working out of the box. They reluctantly refunded his money. What crap. They have to replace even if the second and third units of NEW phones are faulty. They said that if the second unit was bad, he would need to get it repaired at a service center. This is for a NEW phone?
The problem here is surely with the dealer, rather than with Nokia.

Sounds like a shark. Name and shame?
Old 8th September 2012, 21:51   #9145
BANNED

Nokia store in Indiranagar, on CMH Rd. So, it is Nokia and not a random dealer.
Old 8th September 2012, 22:56   #9146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

1. Calling and SMS
3. Good battery life

I was looking at Nokia Lumia 610/710 and HTC Desire C (we missed the Aircel iPhone 3GS offer otherwise that would have been perfect).

nokia e6,if the old school look is ok for him.
Would have to stretch the budget by 3k.
Old 9th September 2012, 00:01   #9147
BHPian

Quote:
Nokia store in Indiranagar, on CMH Rd. So, it is Nokia and not a random dealer.
As far as i know, the Nokia stores are also franchisees.Post your experience on the Nokia India & Nokia Singapore FB page, it will get taken seroisly. Also drop a mail to nokiaindiadigitalmarketing@ovi.com

I wouldnt recommend anyone to buy a Nokia phone more than a few thousands. the company is counting days and their latest Lumia line is already dead on arrival. Just a matter of time before they shut whatever they have left.
Old 9th September 2012, 02:03   #9148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is this a Nokia store/Priority Dealer you are talking about? If its not then I you probably can't blame Nokia (except for the faulty phones out of the box). Store owner would of course like to wash his hands off once the sale is over. Thats why its important to buy from a good reputed store. Else you will be at the mercy of the service centers and they may not replace. If its faulty out of the box, a good store should replace it right away. Learnt this the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
1. Intel Xolo
2. Xperia Sola

Thanks for the help
Cheers,
Adi
Wouldn't comment on whether to get the Xolo or Sola. But definitely don't go for the Chacha. And don't go for One V if you intend to ever use navigation. The Sola should be a good choice, but like you, I too feel a non-removable battery is not only inconvenient but also a con job (will force you to either pay a lot extra to replace or junk the phone, just like Apple).

Last edited by Raccoon : 9th September 2012 at 02:10.
Old 9th September 2012, 08:59   #9149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Need help for sleek android phone for about 10k for wife.The only requirements are long battery life,good screen,glitch free, very responsive touch and of course good looks. Other features like GPS, 3G, Wifi are optional.
entry level - LG Optimus hub is quite good
else the micromax A100. got great reviews here only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Guys, what's your opinion on Motorola Fire XT311. Infibeam is selling it for 6598 with a 2GB card thrown in.

I am looking for a QWERTY + Wifi + Android + 3MP cam atleast. Any other phones in this price range?

Only other phone which I could locate with all these is the Samsung Duos B5512
Here is my thought. i think the duos would be great courtesy the trackpad but all have crap cameras except the chacha (which has other issues). However, because android is a stupid OS - you will get apps which may get rotated (they cannot figure out orientation - will just operate as 240x320 not vice versa). Hence I would suggest the motorola or the LG optimus Pro C660 (?). You need a portrait screen to work happily on android across all apps. that said, none of these will be blazing fast and will have appreciable lag (though b5512 is quite nice on that count)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I finally retired my lovely phone.
I was unable to find a new Asus phone. I absolutely loved the ownership experience.

I went to buy a Motorola Defy Mini.
But instead bought a "Samsung Galaxy Y Duos S6102".

I paid approx 8600 at Reliance Digital.
Since I was not planning on this particular phone. I forgot about the "FREE Samsung BT kit" in flipkart.

But the phone looks and feels good.
Yaar, help me understand as a tech guy, how can you go to buy a 320x480 screen phone and come back with a 320x240 screen? After 4 years, still the same screen res? and lower pixel density? kya guru. Please return it if possible. screen size bhi toh kuch cheez hoti hai yaar. get the Micromax a100 if possible plijh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

1. Calling and SMS
3. Good battery life

QWERTY = blackberry man. You should've not sold your BB dude! The E5 is a good choice but friends who own it are NOT happy with its 3G browsing capabilities (far too slow, still hangs etc). if WP, then omnia W yaar.
Old 9th September 2012, 09:15   #9150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Get the A100. You'll get all your requirements fulfilled plus the optional features too.

Contrary to what one might worry about the brand Micromax, the phone build quality is very good and so is the functioning so far.

OT: Guys, any worthy (free) alternatives to Poweramp? Can't live with the stock player.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks