Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 10:45   #9001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Whats changed? I thought ICS on the S2 and S3 would be similar!

I've been running a S2 on ICS for the last 3 months (i think), and its just OK!

Been a O2 user initially and then shifting to qwerty Nokia, I realized that an email and business phone is incomplete without a qwerty.

I carry a brackberry (official) and the S2 now and the BB is so much more sensible when you mean business and not funky swipes.

Large phone like the S2 and larger are a pain to drive/ ride when in the pocket, unless without a cover and you expecting it to drop it? might not be the best idea!
Yes even ive ICS on my note. But the UI of S3 makes it much more worth it.
The BB is definitely sensible at first even i thought of recommending it as i carry one along with me too. The disadvantages of a blackberry are-
- its a blackberry and its too old and doesnt sell these days. Unless Blackberry comes out with something of a winner, itll soon have to packup as its days are numbered.
- the worst thing about a Blackberry is operators charge stupid fees for accessing basic services like internet, mail and chat. Whereas an internet plan for a normal phone costs less than 100rs for 1 gb 2g usage, the same for a blackberry costs close to 250 for a month. Here is the rates chart for blackberry services on airtel. Wheareas rates for other phones are Rs98- 1gb 2g
Rs149- 2gb 2g.
Rs 255 1gb 3g

Name:  ForumRunner_20120712_094442.png
Views: 763
Size:  233.5 KB

So you are actually wasting money using a Blackberry whereas other phones do the same functionality at a very less price per month.

Also bhpian N.devdath has said he wants "A" phone which should satisfy all his needs. Blackberry cameras are pretty bad for the price they charge. Im talking of the high end one here with the qwerty keyboard and touch screen. And neither does htc chacha have a good camera. So he would end up carrying one phone for office work and perhaps a camera or another phone equipped with a good camera or he can carry one phone which has all the functions.

The galaxy note option went out the window the minute i read hed be riding a bike and it can be quite a hassle also to carry it around and respond to calls. I ride a bike and i carry my note and an n8 together in different pockets but it maybe a hassle for others.

About ICS on s2 and s3 being similar, yes they maybe similar but the execution of the same is better on s3 with the plethora of features available at the touch of a finger. Yes many things can be added from the play store no doubt but not everyone has time to search and download and then use all features.

Plus the s3 being the latest phone from the samsung stable, it will be the first to receive jelly bean update when its released. This makes it a bit futureproof atleast for a year. Also it will be much lighter than a blackberry to say the least. Given the keyboard matter, the touch keyboard of the s3 is pretty decent and works well as you would have noticed in your s2 too. None of the android keyboards are as great as that of the iPhone though.

Blackberry is a dead generation of phones being sold at a premium just for its keyboard and email service which others offer for free. The enterprise users who need a dedicated server to handle their mails are a different group altogether with different requirements.

I rest my case

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 12th July 2012 at 10:57.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:14   #9002
BANNED

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Plus the s3 being the latest phone from the samsung stable, it will be the first to receive jelly bean update when its released. This makes it a bit futureproof atleast for a year. Also it will be much lighter than a blackberry to say the least. Given the keyboard matter, the touch keyboard of the s3 is pretty decent and works well as you would have noticed in your s2 too. None of the android keyboards are as great as that of the iPhone though.
OMG, you really are a Guru in this field.

The reason why I detest a BB is precisely what has been said by you. It, to me, is outdated, over priced, and has little other than e-mailing facilities.

A BIG Thank You to Phamilyman, SLK and the others for their comments.

While the debate between the BB and Android, is, perhaps never ending, are we unanimous that it should either be a BB or an Android phone that will best suit my requirements?

Last edited by n.devdath : 12th July 2012 at 11:18.
Old 12th July 2012, 21:14   #9003
BHPian

Im looking to buy a 'Grey market New' or 'moderately used', I-Phone 3S in Hyderabad.

Can someone please tell me at what prices will it be available.

In addition can someone also throw some light on the renowned Jagadish Market which is famed to be the 'in' place for used phones ? Anyone having contacts there ?
Old 15th July 2012, 15:22   #9004
Senior - BHPian

Finally went ahead and brought HTC Desire V, Dual sim smart phone with Android 4.0. This is my first Android Phone after using Bada (Wave1) for 2 years, lets see how it fairs.
Old 16th July 2012, 07:58   #9005
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Finally went ahead and brought HTC Desire V, Dual sim smart phone with Android 4.0. This is my first Android Phone after using Bada (Wave1) for 2 years, lets see how it fairs.
Is the Desire V available already? How much did you pay for it?
Old 16th July 2012, 10:05   #9006
Senior - BHPian

I'm contemplating between Sony Xperia U & Sony WT19i though I know Xperia U is superior to WT19i. I cannot extend my budget beyond 15K (mostly mind barrier)

Does anyone have a better tips/idea on buying a mobile phone for best price through online or directly at shop apart from regular bargains?
Old 16th July 2012, 10:28   #9007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm contemplating between Sony Xperia U
Great phone for the price, except that it has no memory card slot. Deal breaker, that. (For me).
Old 16th July 2012, 11:02   #9008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Great phone for the price, except that it has no memory card slot. Deal breaker, that. (For me).
Thanks
How about XPeria U (or WT19i) Compared to Galaxy Ace 2?
Old 16th July 2012, 17:04   #9009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm contemplating between Sony Xperia U & Sony WT19i though I know Xperia U is superior to WT19i. I cannot extend my budget beyond 15K (mostly mind barrier)

Does anyone have a better tips/idea on buying a mobile phone for best price through online or directly at shop apart from regular bargains?
I would not suggest either models. Xperia U does not have expandable memory and SE Live with Walkman has less internal memory.

There are better option in 15k price range: Motorola Defy Plus, Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus, HTC Desire C etc.

Ace 2 is not yet release in India (AFAIK). This one is really worth waiting for.

Rohan
Old 16th July 2012, 20:12   #9010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I would not suggest either models. Xperia U does not have expandable memory and SE Live with Walkman has less internal memory
But Rohan...
XPeria U - 4G is more than sufficient right? Right now I don't use more than 1Gb on my phone
WT19i - I can add additional memory as it can support up to 32G right?

Quote:
There are better option in 15k price range: Motorola Defy Plus, Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus, HTC Desire C etc
Sorry to say, I don't prefer Samsung & Motorola. HTC...hmmm...I don't have a say.

Quote:
Ace 2 is not yet release in India (AFAIK). This one is really worth waiting for
Yes
Old 16th July 2012, 20:13   #9011
BHPian

If grey market is fine then get Nexus S i9020 from e-bay. Available for 17500. Really with every rupee. Warranty would be the only issue. But suggest pick this over others available in market. For warranty a must; look at Huawei Honor from Flipkart available for 18.5K.
Old 16th July 2012, 22:03   #9012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Rohan...
XPeria U - 4G is more than sufficient right? Right now I don't use more than 1Gb on my phone
WT19i - I can add additional memory as it can support up to 32G right?
If the non-expandable memory doesn't bother you, then Xperia U is real VFM.

But IMHO, you wouldn't be able to make good use of such a smart phone with limited memory.

In WT19i, you can add memory using microSD card, but the limited internal memory limits the number of apps that can be installed. Apps can be transferred to microSD card, but some portion of the app still occupies the internal memory.

It finally depends on your usage pattern, how much memory one requires.

Rohan
Old 16th July 2012, 23:01   #9013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Is the Desire V available already? How much did you pay for it?
Yep it is, costed me 20900/-.
Old 17th July 2012, 01:28   #9014
BHPian

Nokia 808 pureview

I bought a nokia 808 pureview on the day it was launched in delhi for Rs. 33,800.

Since then been having a great time. I am not a poweruser, just needed to have a good cameraphone, because I am sick of lugging around the camera. In the last month and half, I think this was the right choice for a phone.

Here are some images taken on auto mode, from a trip to mcleodganj that I had made thereafter. Putting them up here, so that anyone who is considering a camera phone takes this phone into account, and symbian is not half as bad, given the inconsistency of android and the price of ios.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201206260166.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201206290335.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201206260215_2.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201207020447.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201207010421.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201206290361.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201206290306.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201206260219.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-201206290334.jpg  

Old 17th July 2012, 07:12   #9015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the non-expandable memory doesn't bother you, then Xperia U is real VFM
Yes

Quote:
But IMHO, you wouldn't be able to make good use of such a smart phone with limited memory
Pls...can you shed some light as how? This is a genuine question as I'm new to this. All I'm thinking is to have 2-3 applications, a movie & few songs. Do you think there's anything beyond all these?

Pictures/Videos...I would move them to desktop, so no storing there.

Quote:
It finally depends on your usage pattern, how much memory one requires
Agreed; I've quoted what I intend to use above

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks