Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 10:41   #8671
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys what solution can I use to clean my Galaxy S2's Screen? Can I use anything from the regular household cleaners like coleen ( or is it colin)? Or just a damp piece of cloth perhaps? Also can I use the same stuff to clean my laptop's screen?
A damp cloth should do the job. You could also use alcohol - aftershave or antiseptic liquid like dettol. Never use colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Is Samsung Wave 525 a good choice for 6000 budget. My brother wants it. I searched a lot on net but found it go be quite value for money. Please suggest me your opinions.
Wave 525 is a very old model, probably would be discontinued in a while. Go for the latest model - Wave Y. Specs are almost similar/better. Price is 7k.

Rohan
Old 4th March 2012, 12:41   #8672
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not colin? I don't use it, but I'm interested to know why you think we shouldn't.

I have a small bottle of very diluted isopropyl alcohol in water that I made up for cleaning vinyl LPs. I use it also for screens, spectacles, etc. Commercial cleaners are probably similar but maybe with a little detergent added. I do not spray directly, but mist a microfibre cloth and use that to clean.

Particularly important not to spray electronics, of course.

Quote:
aftershave or antiseptic liquid like dettol.
These may have additives, and may not leave your screen clean. I'm sure our mobile phones are covered in germs (did you know that there are more bacteria on the average computer keyboard than on the average toilet seat?) but Detol might be going a bit far
Old 4th March 2012, 13:47   #8673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
GPS app relevant for India:
Not sure, but I feel Nokia have a upper hand here.
The best I would say is Android/Iphone with Sygic MMI maps.
They come for 2500 Rs from MMI.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 21:04   #8674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why not colin? I don't use it, but I'm interested to know why you think we shouldn't.
Coz Colin has ammonia and you definitely don't want any organic solvent on your screen. Check the phone's maintenance instructions details.

regards,
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 00:42   #8675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys what solution can I use to clean my Galaxy S2's Screen? Can I use anything from the regular household cleaners like coleen ( or is it colin)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Coz Colin has ammonia and you definitely don't want any organic solvent on your screen.
For this phone, Colin is just fine. Reason is, screen is made of glass. Just dont spray it directly (to avoid liquid damage).

Laptop screens are much weaker, and better to use a damp microfiber with those.
Old 5th March 2012, 02:59   #8676
Senior - BHPian

^^^Quite so. Colin and similar cleaners may be ok for the phone's screen, as long as there is no anti glare or similar coating on it. Never heard of a phone having those, so its probably fine. However, the cleaner may not do nice things for other things around the screen like any paint on buttons or plating, etc. Unless there is some real reason to use such a cleaner, a slightly damp soft lint free soft cloth is the safest bet.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:03   #8677
BHPian

Don't use dettol (its an antiseptic, not a lens/glass cleaner.) But isopropyl alcohol is safe. We use them for cleaning circuit boards sometimes (when they're not in use i.e.). But it shouldn't be very dilute. Also, avoid using hard water. A microfiber cloth (or the kind opticians give you) with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol is okay.

For laptop screens, there's something called the Targus Cleaning Kit. There is also a Targus cleaning pad for the iPad: Targus*India*|*TXA00212US*–*Targus CleanVu™ Cleaning Pads for iPad® (3-Pack)
Old 5th March 2012, 15:10   #8678
Senior - BHPian

URGENT HELP REQD.

I use a Nokia E72 and sync my data ie. contacts, calender etc via my google account using MS Excahnge settings. Things were all smooth and no issues with any sync or anything at all. Data would reflect in no time on the phone or gmail log in after any editing or new entry was made.

Today my phone just hung up on me when i restarted the same, all my contacts had disappeared and it wasnt even syncing with MS Exchange any more. I tried all methods by contacts just wouldnt show up.

What do i do? Pls help.
Old 5th March 2012, 22:38   #8679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
URGENT HELP REQD.

I use a Nokia E72 and sync my data ie. contacts, calender etc via my google account using MS Excahnge settings. Things were all smooth and no issues with any sync or anything at all. Data would reflect in no time on the phone or gmail log in after any editing or new entry was made.

Today my phone just hung up on me when i restarted the same, all my contacts had disappeared and it wasnt even syncing with MS Exchange any more. I tried all methods by contacts just wouldnt show up.

What do i do? Pls help.

Are you using Google sync to synch your exchange and gmail? Well, surprise- it is a buggy tool from my experience with my 'droid and MS Exchange.

To get your phone to respond delete it from OVI and add it back again.

To restore data:

If you have a data backup on your phone on your phone (File Manager --> Backup/Restore) then use the backup file to restore your contacts

If you use MS Outlook you can export the contacts to CSV and import to your phone via OVI and Gmail via Contact imports

Everytime you use OVI it generally makes a backup on your laptop/desktop, try that option as well - its the second last one you have

And the last option - did you copy any of your contacts to your SIM card - it wont restore all but some and hopefully some of the important ones.

Good luck!
Old 6th March 2012, 10:39   #8680
BHPian

What do you guys do with your old phones? Are there any places in India where you can exchange them for cash/coupons like in the west?

I have about 4 GSM and 1 CDMA phone lying around. Some of them are in good shape, and some have minor issues. I have seen people selling them for parts on ebay, but don't know how to price them.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:42   #8681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
I have Motorola EX119, after long search i finally changed ringtones to mp3. but failed to find option to change sms tone to mp3's. is anyone know how to do it? and also tell me how to schedule turn on/off [ the mobile by giving specific time it will turn off or on at that time]

I have not received comment or answer for my query. I think i'm the only user of this mobile on team-bhp
Old 6th March 2012, 11:25   #8682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
What do you guys do with your old phones? Are there any places in India where you can exchange them for cash/coupons like in the west?

I have about 4 GSM and 1 CDMA phone lying around. Some of them are in good shape, and some have minor issues. I have seen people selling them for parts on ebay, but don't know how to price them.
Old phones, especially feature phones have no resale value. Best is to hold on to them for emergency purpose or give them away to some needy person like driver, maid etc.

Rohan
Old 6th March 2012, 11:50   #8683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am not a cell wizard, but based on what I have seen and used, below are my comments (against the respective criteria):
a. Ease of use
Lumia 800. The Windows 7.5 OS is one of the easiest to play around.

b. Call / reception quality in our overgrown village called Bombay
I am impressed with iPhone 4S, but one bit lacking is the primary purpose of a phone – the call quality. Nokia phones are decent this aspect and I have not used Droid 4, but Moto’s voice quality is its real strong point (probably the only strength)

c. Ruggedness of build
Not sure, should be quite same among the three.

d. text messaging
iPhone, followed by Lumia 800.

e. Music player quality
iPhone

f. Music downloads from the net & transfer from a laptop ( typically stored in vlc)
iPhone

g. email set up for Lotus Notes & gmail
Not sure of Notes, but gmail and windows live mail – Lumia 800.

h. ease of use in accessing facebook & other internet sites
Lumia 800

i. battery life (obviously!)
Maybe the Nokia. iPhone 4S battery is average, and the battery in my previous Moto Milestone XT was really bad.

j. GPS app relevant for India
Not sure, but I feel Nokia have a upper hand here.

Please note that I am not a techno wizard and do not wish to mod unless absolutely necessary. Also what will be the pros & cons of Windows 8 in a next gen Lumia and Mountain Lion on the iPhone 5? Can the Droid 4 be serviced in India?
The next upgrade of WP OS should automatically get pushed into the current lot (I read that its code named Apollo). The next Lumia is 900, a 4G phone with a bigger screen and I am not sure when it will get into India.
>>>

Update : decision made to negotiate the apples in the em spectrum.
Bought an iPhone.

Regards
Old 6th March 2012, 14:38   #8684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

>>>

Update : decision made to negotiate the apples in the em spectrum.
Bought an iPhone.

Regards
Which version did you buy? 4S or 4?? Also from where did you buy the phone and for how much? I ask this because a friend of mine was interested and I see that you are from bombay. Kindly let us know your first impressions.
Old 6th March 2012, 17:39   #8685
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

I am currently using E72 and since lats few days fone has started acting funny and its been with me for almost 2 yrs now and so no warranty. I re loaded the software twice and even hard reset once but no luck. The battery too has started going bonkers. I want to change to another phone. But before that i would like to share that i dont want a BB or Iphone or Android or matter of fact any "smart" phone. I was a Samsung Galaxy user for a few months until last month and i sold it off.

The phones that have caught my attention are
1. Nokia E6
2. Nokia Asha 302 ( yet to be launched)

Any E6 users in the house? how is the phone? My useage is as below

50% calling
30% whatsapp
20% sms + tbhp + emails.

But i like the built quality of Nokia phones. I do not use 3G services as i have good speed wifi network at home as well as in office. And while i am travelling i rely on my laptop + tata photon. When i used to own the Samsung galaxy, i realised that i used to spend a lot of time fidling around with it even at work and hence felt it was a distraction. Also the main reason i needed to switch was the battery life. So all in all i am looking to move to a phone which does its primary job; of being a PHONE pretty decently.

Please note that the above is strictly my point of view. I don't by any means try to say that Galaxy SL is a bad phone or anything negative. Its just ME

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 6th March 2012 at 17:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks