Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 11:48   #8656
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
41MP, someone must be off his rocker. You need less that 4MP for an excellent A4 print!
Professor, their technology combines pixels to give out a more crisp image. The sensor has 41Mp resolution, but the final image resolution is not more than 5Mp, AFAIK.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:55   #8657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
41MP, someone must be off his rocker. You need less that 4MP for an excellent A4 print!
Sir, didn't one very very very famous person once said, who will ever need more than 512 KB for personal use!!!

It's the beauty of technology. You never know what good can come out of it. Let's at least appreciate Nokia to go where nobody else has dared. It's what gives birth to innovations.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:59   #8658
BHPian

You should read on the technology behind the innovation and guess what, the Xenon flash is doubly powerful can flash upto 3.2 mts

It will be 30K and a sure buy. As I said before that Symbian Belle is awesome and no less than any competition.

Yesterday, I connected my N8 to my 40" LCD through a HDMI cable and my daughter was enjoying playing Angry Birds on the big screen through the phone. Also, played HD movies, Pics, Video from the phone on the LCD and it's awesome.

Hope this got the HDMI Port as well. Nokia Rocks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf (593.5 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by inder_s1 : 28th February 2012 at 12:09.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:40   #8659
Team-BHP Support

^^Looks like Nokia is getting back on track with its new products. I am looking forward to the launch of Lumia 900, the second highend WP smartphone after the L800.
Old 29th February 2012, 07:31   #8660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
Why did the Edit button disappear ?

I liked the Galaxy Note a lot. I saw the N7000. Is that the Best and Biggest Phone in Mumbai ?

All your inputs will be appreciated.
I don't know about Mumbai ;-), but I think it has the largest screen size among all mobile phones. And I don't think it is likely that many other manufacturers will embrace a 5.3" screen after what happened to the original Dell Streak.

I have been using a Note since November 2011 (ordered through Flipkart), so I can tell you a few things about it.

1. Battery life without wifi, 3G and bluetooth is very good for a smartphone. If I use neither of these 3 features (but use a rooster alarm to wake me up everyday ) then I can use the phone for 1.5 days before a recharge.

2. The phone is very responsive, but I have about 100 apps and sometimes it becomes a touch slow (I've been told by a friend with the S2 that his phone suffers from the same problem. I'm guessing its bad memory management because a lot of widgets and apps run -- so basically our fault because if I reboot the phone or kill some apps, it becomes fast again.)

3. The screen is huge, but while the reviewers on the internet may have you believe that it looks silly/stupid to hold it to your head to take a call, I don't think its that bad (if at all you worry about such things -- I for one find this objection absurd at the face of it, since one does not buy a phone for social acceptance ).

On a more serious note, the screen plays all forms of video quite well, and is very readable compared to an S2 or some other Motorola android phones. To be honest, I have not carried out a scientific comparison of the video playback on the Note with that on my friend's S2, but he insists the quality is better on the Note.

Other than video, if you read an ebook or browse the internet, the screen is very readable and your eyes won't feel fatigued even while reading at 0% zoom.

4. The stylus (sorry, S-Pen!) is not as good as a regular pen and you will take some time to get used to it. But I have used it to take notes or draw small diagrams, and it works well especially after calibration. Rumor on Androidforums has it that ICS will make it work better, especially since Samsung has recently released an SDK for SPen applications.

5. The rated CPU clock speed is marginally greater than the S2, but Quadrant results rate the Note way higher than the S2. I'll try and post a screenshot of my Quadrant results to give you an idea. (For the time being, have a look at this: Samsung Galaxy Note hits an impressive Quadrant score of 3,624, pricing revealed)

6. Google Maps and GPS work excellently on the phone, and the GPS sensitivity is particularly good (especially when I compare it to my older Nokia E71 and E75 phones; I could never get the E71 GPS to work properly in India and the E75 worked well only in the US.)

The large screen size is very helpful during navigation. I found it very useful when I had to locate and visit a government office in Lucknow.

7. Most importantly, the Samsung phones triumph over HTC and Motorola in the maximum possible HSDPA baud rate. (Please refer to the attachment.)

Source: Samsung Galaxy Note N-7000 Mobile Phone vs Motorola RAZR XT910 Mobile Phone vs HTC Sensation XE Mobile Phone: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

There's a HUGE difference, though I must admit that I have not perceived it myself. I just feel that the Note has more futuristic.

Finally, yes it is a little tricky to use just one hand to operate the Note, but that's a small price to pay for an otherwise feature packed phone.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-29022012-072751.jpg  

Last edited by darthvader : 29th February 2012 at 07:35.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:28   #8661
Senior - BHPian

Nokia 808 PureView wins Best New Mobile Handset award at the Mobile World Congress 2012

Nokia 808 PureView wins Best New Mobile Handset award at Mobile World Congress 2012

Nokia has achieved what it set out to do - to get attention! The once erstwhile technology giant was off radar for quite some time and needed a powerful statement to make and boy they did just that! They dropped the A-bomb! People forgot about super powerful quad core beasts like OneX etc!!!
Old 1st March 2012, 17:38   #8662
BHPian

Yes, Today at world mobile congress held at Barcelona, Nokia announced Pureview 808 which has 41 mega pixels camera!!!!!!
Yes, it is indeed 41 MP camera with 4 inch HD display 1.3 Ghz symibian belle. But has just 16 GB internal memory. It is sucessor of N8.

Also annouced entry of HTC one X the first quad core phone, runs on 1.5Ghz processor 4.7 inch display Android ICS OS

Last edited by HighOctane : 1st March 2012 at 17:39.
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:16   #8663
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys what solution can I use to clean my Galaxy S2's Screen? Can I use anything from the regular household cleaners like coleen ( or is it colin)? Or just a damp piece of cloth perhaps? Also can I use the same stuff to clean my laptop's screen?
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:08   #8664
Senior - BHPian

^^^Safest to use a good microfiber cloth for both. And your lappy screen is a lot more delicate that your phones, so be doubly careful! Colin and similar cleaners not recommended.

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd March 2012 at 02:11.
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:29   #8665
Senior - BHPian

gorilla glass baba. clean it the way you want to except sanding it
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:47   #8666
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, i knew that would be coming from someone, soon!

Even then, personally, I'd use at least a soft cloth. I'v seen enough damaged Gorilla glass screens to do otherwise.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:53   #8667
Distinguished - BHPian

Soft microfibre. Just now I am living with my first gorilla-glass screen, and I hope not to discover the gorilla's weak spot!

For cleaning materials/substances I'd consider it like spectacles and use similar. Emergency degreaser? Saliva is great! Lick your finger and apply gently to screen.
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:38   #8668
BHPian

>>>

To all you cell wizards yonder, let me have your views on the following three phones :

1. iPhone 4S
2. Lumia 800
3. Droid 4

on the following set of criteria :-

a. Ease of use
b. Call / reception quality in our overgrown village called Bombay
c. Ruggedness of build
d. text messaging
e. Music player quality
f. Music downloads from the net & transfer from a laptop ( typically stored in vlc)
g. email set up for Lotus Notes & gmail
h. ease of use in accessing facebook & other internet sites
i. battery life (obviously!)
j. GPS app relevant for India, especially not so well known places, such as route directions from, say Kolhapur through Anmod to Panjim

Please note that I am not a techno wizard and do not wish to mod unless absolutely necessary. Also what will be the pros & cons of Windows 8 in a next gen Lumia and Mountain Lion on the iPhone 5? Can the Droid 4 be serviced in India?

If this comparo is already there somewhere, please share the link.

Regards
issigonis
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:12   #8669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
To all you cell wizards yonder, let me have your views on the following three phones :
1. iPhone 4S
2. Lumia 800
3. Droid 4
I am not a cell wizard, but based on what I have seen and used, below are my comments (against the respective criteria):
a. Ease of use
Lumia 800. The Windows 7.5 OS is one of the easiest to play around.

b. Call / reception quality in our overgrown village called Bombay
I am impressed with iPhone 4S, but one bit lacking is the primary purpose of a phone – the call quality. Nokia phones are decent this aspect and I have not used Droid 4, but Moto’s voice quality is its real strong point (probably the only strength)

c. Ruggedness of build
Not sure, should be quite same among the three.

d. text messaging
iPhone, followed by Lumia 800.

e. Music player quality
iPhone

f. Music downloads from the net & transfer from a laptop ( typically stored in vlc)
iPhone

g. email set up for Lotus Notes & gmail
Not sure of Notes, but gmail and windows live mail – Lumia 800.

h. ease of use in accessing facebook & other internet sites
Lumia 800

i. battery life (obviously!)
Maybe the Nokia. iPhone 4S battery is average, and the battery in my previous Moto Milestone XT was really bad.

j. GPS app relevant for India
Not sure, but I feel Nokia have a upper hand here.

Please note that I am not a techno wizard and do not wish to mod unless absolutely necessary. Also what will be the pros & cons of Windows 8 in a next gen Lumia and Mountain Lion on the iPhone 5? Can the Droid 4 be serviced in India?
The next upgrade of WP OS should automatically get pushed into the current lot (I read that its code named Apollo). The next Lumia is 900, a 4G phone with a bigger screen and I am not sure when it will get into India.
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:52   #8670
BHPian

Is Samsung Wave 525 a good choice for 6000 budget. My brother wants it. I searched a lot on net but found it go be quite value for money. Please suggest me your opinions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks