Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:21   #8536
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Neo V is good choice as the display and camera is good. But look at Samsung Galaxy R which has VFM with lot of features for around 20k. It is small brother of galaxy SII. Read review of SG R in gsmarena.com
the R's price has just been hiked up to 21k something..it was 19 or 18k at one point.
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:34   #8537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010
BHPians i need your suggestions.

I am planning to get my dad a Nokia Lumia 710 which is now available at 15.5k. Is it worth buying? Or better to go with N8?

He mainly needs a good camera, fast spec phone and good call reception. He is currently using Nokia 5800XM and he is familiar with its interface.

Is the windows OS user friendly compared to good old symbian?

Who have been using it please write your feedback or quick review on Lumia 710 please.
I was going to buy a phone for my wife and had seen this phone. I would rate it very high on user experience and being an iPhone user I would say it comes close to iOS.

The only reason I did not buy it was lack of apps I was going to use - such as tbhp, waze and a few others.

Btw I bought the Lg optimus black for 18 k. Main attractions : slim design, 4 inch display , ambient light sensor, gorilla glass.
Not so good things: froyo. (although I heard gb is available), shiny backside definitely gets scratched like hell.

Btw thanks to many on this forum to help me make the choice.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:58   #8538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza

the R's price has just been hiked up to 21k something..it was 19 or 18k at one point.
Even if you pay 21k, its worth for every rupee. Its 1 Ghz DUAL CORE, 1 GB Ram, 4.2 inch Super Clear LCD Display. Nvidia Tegra chipset, GeForce GPU, 8 GB internal storage. 3G, GPS, wi-fi, DLNA, Dual camera, 5 MP back, 1.3 MP front 720p video rec. Plays all format videos including HD. Can attach pen drive on the go and watch films. Nice UI, document editor. Thin 9.5 mm, official upgrade from gingerbread to icecream sandwich in march. What else we want ? These days its in great demand and difficult to find stock with many dealers. Only draw back is issues with battery backup.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:54   #8539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
BHPians i need your suggestions.

I am planning to get my dad a Nokia Lumia 710 which is now available at 15.5k. Is it worth buying? Or better to go with N8?

He mainly needs a good camera, fast spec phone and good call reception. He is currently using Nokia 5800XM and he is familiar with its interface.

Is the windows OS user friendly compared to good old symbian?

Who have been using it please write your feedback or quick review on Lumia 710 please.
Nokia N8
1. N8 is still the best camera phones around
2. It's firmware is being updated regularly and latest avatar of it is amazing (Symbian Belle), Symbian is a stable OS and easier to use than moving to a new OS )
3. Call quality is very good
4. Price has reduced to 18K
5. Specs look old for a non-geek. But frankly, it is very smooth with current Specs
6. Has HDMI Port, can connect to LCD to see pics/Video
7. Video Chat

and loads of other features which wont be relevant to your Dad

Lumia 710
1. Win OS, It's good but needs some time to get used to it
2. Camera not that great but way better than 5800
3. Price is 15K
4. Call quality is very good
5. Specs look better than N8 but only for a non-geek
inder_s1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:21   #8540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I was going to buy a phone for my wife and had seen this phone. I would rate it very high on user experience and being an iPhone user I would say it comes close to iOS.

The only reason I did not buy it was lack of apps I was going to use - such as tbhp, waze and a few others.

Btw I bought the Lg optimus black for 18 k. Main attractions : slim design, 4 inch display , ambient light sensor, gorilla glass.
Not so good things: froyo. (although I heard gb is available), shiny backside definitely gets scratched like hell.

Btw thanks to many on this forum to help me make the choice.
thanks deep, I also liked the WIN OS interface a lot. Though App's isn't a issue for my dad as he is never going to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Nokia N8
1. N8 is still the best camera phones around
2. It's firmware is being updated regularly and latest avatar of it is amazing (Symbian Belle), Symbian is a stable OS and easier to use than moving to a new OS )
3. Call quality is very good
4. Price has reduced to 18K
5. Specs look old for a non-geek. But frankly, it is very smooth with current Specs
6. Has HDMI Port, can connect to LCD to see pics/Video
7. Video Chat

and loads of other features which wont be relevant to your Dad

Lumia 710
1. Win OS, It's good but needs some time to get used to it
2. Camera not that great but way better than 5800
3. Price is 15K
4. Call quality is very good
5. Specs look better than N8 but only for a non-geek
thanks inder. I am planning to go ahead with Lumia 710 for these below reasons.

1. I found N8 to be heavier than Lumia 710.
2. Cost since Lumia 710 is at 15k.
3. Sleek Design
4. Mango OS & GPS

Please let me know your feedback
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:44   #8541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
thanks deep, I also liked the WIN OS interface a lot. Though App's isn't a issue for my dad as he is never going to use it.

thanks inder. I am planning to go ahead with Lumia 710 for these below reasons.

1. I found N8 to be heavier than Lumia 710.
2. Cost since Lumia 710 is at 15k.
3. Sleek Design
4. Mango OS & GPS

Please let me know your feedback
That's fine buddy. Both are good phones and reliability has never been an issue with nokia. As long as he likes the interface, he will love the butter smooth scrolling on Lumia 710.

You know your Dad's needs more than anyone
inder_s1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 17:00   #8542
BHPian

Quote:
Ricci,

Nokia is officially launching Belle this month for N8, E7 and other Symbian 3 devices. Either wait up or you can download one of the custom firmwares from the below link.

Nokia N8 Pro Edition RC V2
Thanks Inder. I looked up and yes, they are shipping Belle on the earlier S^3 phones, but the official updates for older phones are not available yet. I'm in a tizzy if I should , since the earlier updates (originally my phone was without Anna ) slowed the phone down . Will wait for the proper firmware release from Nokia , while looking up the custom firmware.
Old 4th February 2012, 21:49   #8543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Thanks Inder. I looked up and yes, they are shipping Belle on the earlier S^3 phones, but the official updates for older phones are not available yet. I'm in a tizzy if I should , since the earlier updates (originally my phone was without Anna ) slowed the phone down . Will wait for the proper firmware release from Nokia , while looking up the custom firmware.
I have never waited for Nokia to release an update OTA. The steps are very simple:

1. Download Navifirm & use it to check the latest firmware( Connects to Nokia servers and shows you the all the firmwares for your phone)
2. Download relevant firmware from Navifirm
3. Download Phoenix Software ( N8fanclub is the site which has the guide on using Phoenix or there are you tube videos on net)
4. Update Firmware on your phone using phoenix ( Takes 4-7 Mins)

Not for the faint hearted. I have used Phoenix since Nokia 9500 days to update firmware.

On N8 alone, I've updated the firmware 6 times from the time Anna was released ( Original Sym 3 , Anna V1, V2, Belle Leaked custom firmware 3 times)

If you are not up to it then wait for Nokia update. My N8 never slowed down even on Anna, but one of the friends reported it. It looked like the complete firmware files were not downloaded and cause that issue.
Old 5th February 2012, 19:35   #8544
BHPian

Quote:
I have never waited for Nokia to release an update OTA. The steps are very simple:

Not for the faint hearted. I have used Phoenix since Nokia 9500 days to update firmware.
Thanks again, I'll try this then over the next weekend. I don't have any critical data on it, so data loss isn't yet an issue, but does it have any other risk ( referring to the not for the faint hearted part ) ?
Old 5th February 2012, 23:39   #8545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Thanks again, I'll try this then over the next weekend. I don't have any critical data on it, so data loss isn't yet an issue, but does it have any other risk ( referring to the not for the faint hearted part ) ?
The risk is if you do not follow the instructions correctly, you might end up having a Nokia Branded paperweight.

As I said earlier, I didn't face issues till date but every website and geek who recommends this method puts a disclaimer try at your own risk

Once you get used to it then you can play around with Phoenix and revive even a bricked phone to an extent . Also from here on , firmware upgrade will become a child's play for you and you can get it as soon as Nokia puts it on their server without waiting for region wise update.

The best part you can upgrade your old Nokia phones to their latest firmwares if not already done.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:53   #8546
Team-BHP Support

FYI : There has been an update for Whatsapp recently; Blackberry had it 2 weeks ago, Mango last week. Well, don't do it!

A friend got his Whatsapp updated and it's messed up completely : no notifications, no conversation history etc.
Old 6th February 2012, 16:32   #8547
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Looking for an Android phone for my wife between 10 to 16k's. I have almost decided on Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V. Any suggestions?
Old 6th February 2012, 17:52   #8548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Guys,

Looking for an Android phone for my wife between 10 to 16k's. I have almost decided on Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V. Any suggestions?
Any specific requirements? The defy+ and Samsung Omnia (wp7) are other worthy alternatives in your budget.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:44   #8549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
FYI : There has been an update for Whatsapp recently; Blackberry had it 2 weeks ago, Mango last week. Well, don't do it!

A friend got his Whatsapp updated and it's messed up completely : no notifications, no conversation history etc.
I think I did that update when it showed up on my WP. No issues noticed. Whatsapp is working well. Probably some other software glitch on your friend's phone?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 22:45   #8550
BHPian

Any idea this phone may arrive in India and if it will support two GSM sims?

Samsung Galaxy S2 Duos Price Specifications and Availability in India

This seems to acheive my goal of dual sim smartphone, with a great camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks