Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

I am on the lookout for a phone for my wife. The requirements are simple:
1. Phone should be square in shape
2. No slider or flipping should be required to make/ receive calls
3. Fancy colors or white preferred
4. Should have a decent camera
5. GSM
6. Battery should last 2 days or more (usage say 1 hour calling per day)

Budget: Max 10K.

I was looking at Motorola Flipout, but it does not meet requirement 2.
There are some older phones from Micromax (such as Q55). How are they in terms of battery life? Quality?

Any inputs are welcome because I need to select the phone in less than 1 month's time.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:09   #8522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
5. GSM

There are some older phones from Micromax (such as Q55). How are they in terms of battery life? Quality?

Any inputs are welcome because I need to select the phone in less than 1 month's time.
I think the Galaxy Y might be good and i think it does have snap on color back plates, not sure though.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:31   #8523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have mentioned very simple requirements and have a decent budget. One can suggest 10 to 15 decent mobiles in this price range that would suit your requirements.

Please mention your priorities, must-have features and don't-care features. Also, do you have any OS preferances ?

IIUC, decent camera, fancy colours and good battery life are important for you.

I would suggest Nokia 500. I comes with 5MP camera (no autofocus though), latest Symbian OS, 3.2 inch touch screen, GPS with voice navigation, interchangeable back panels and the usual call clarity and battery backup associated with Nokia phones.

Other options could be Samsung Galaxy Y, Samsung Wave Y, Samsung Galaxy Fit, Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini, Sony Ericsson W8, LG Optimus One, HTC Explorer etc.

Rohan
Old 31st January 2012, 02:22   #8524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I want to gift my father a dual sim phone. He just uses the phone for making calls and SMS's. A good camera would be nice to have. But the most important criteria is that the phone should NOT be 'Made in China'. Are Nokia phones manufactured in China? I was having Asha in mind. Any Samsung phones that can be considered?
Well, my Optimus One was made in Korea. However, the Optimus Net and Hub I saw recently were made in China. LG has just released a dual SIM Optimus Net which you could check out to see where it is made. Since the single SIM Net is made in China, its quite likely that the dual SIM version may also be made in China; but you might just get lucky.

HTC phones I'v seen were made in Taiwan, but I don't think HTC has any Dual SIM models.

No idea about the origin country of components though. If you consider that, your task immediately becomes lot more difficult. Good luck.

Last edited by Raccoon : 31st January 2012 at 02:24.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 21:20   #8525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Hi buddy,
Either have patience till Feb 2012 for Belle to be released or you flash your phone with Belle.
I have Belle for 3 months now and enjoy working with it. If you want details on flashing, let me know.
Works flawlessly and Anna looks primitive in front of it.
Sure, if you have the link easily at hand, do post it. I will look up for N8+Belle and see what others are saying about it.
I thought Belle needed the faster 1GHz processors to run, I read somewhere that Belle was not going to be released for N8 , E7 , X7 but only later models like 700. Anyway, I notice the phone lags intermittently more often now after 2 updates than before. Perhaps I might upgrade/add another phone in a few months time.
Old 31st January 2012, 22:28   #8526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I think the Galaxy Y might be good and i think it does have snap on color back plates, not sure though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You have mentioned very simple requirements and have a decent budget. One can suggest 10 to 15 decent mobiles in this price range that would suit your requirements.
are they square in shape?
Old 1st February 2012, 09:28   #8527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Please mention your priorities, must-have features and don't-care features. Also, do you have any OS preferances ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
@Rohan: Thanks for the suggestions. As Vivek pointed out, square shape is a requirement.
None of the phones that you have listed are in that form factor.
Ordering the Q55 (wife's selection).
Old 1st February 2012, 09:57   #8528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. GSM

Trust me - don't buy any crapscreen phones like the SGY (320x240)!

For you, it should be one of the Nokias (avoid the fixed focus ones though). or even the lower end Sonys. Sony makes nice camera phones.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:58   #8529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Quote:
@Rohan: Thanks for the suggestions. As Vivek pointed out, square shape is a requirement.
None of the phones that you have listed are in that form factor.
Ordering the Q55 (wife's selection).
Sorry I failed to notice that square shape is a must have requirement.

In that case, Micromax bling seems to be the only option.

Rohan
Old 1st February 2012, 13:21   #8530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Sure, if you have the link easily at hand, do post it. I will look up for N8+Belle and see what others are saying about it.
I thought Belle needed the faster 1GHz processors to run, I read somewhere that Belle was not going to be released for N8 , E7 , X7 but only later models like 700. Anyway, I notice the phone lags intermittently more often now after 2 updates than before. Perhaps I might upgrade/add another phone in a few months time.
Ricci,

Nokia is officially launching Belle this month for N8, E7 and other Symbian 3 devices. Either wait up or you can download one of the custom firmwares from the below link.

Nokia N8 Pro Edition RC V2
inder_s1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 18:22   #8531
Senior - BHPian

my sister had the micromax bling. Piece of crap phone it was. Good enough if only thing one wants is to call and SMS (with an unergonomic kbd) moderately.

bling 2 is android but totally entry level specs so excuse maadi i say.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:04   #8532
BHPian

Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions. Finally i have zeroed with either Defy + or SE Neo V. I am very much puzzled in selecting one among the two. Neo has a secondary cam but not with defy. Samsung S LCD 9003 is a good choice, but i had to let it go because i think it is 2.2 froyo (Please correct me if i am wrong)

The following are the differences apart from many similarities:

Battery- Neo 1500 mAH/ defy 1650 mAH
Internal memory- Neo 320 MB (512 MB RAM) / defy 2GB (512 MB RAM and 1 GB ROM). What is all these specifications please tell me. I am no expert in this.

Please help me in selecting one.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:18   #8533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions. Finally i have zeroed with either Defy + or SE Neo V. I am very much puzzled in selecting one among the two. Neo has a secondary cam but not with defy. Samsung S LCD 9003 is a good choice, but i had to let it go because i think it is 2.2 froyo (Please correct me if i am wrong)

Internal memory- Neo 320 MB (512 MB RAM) / defy 2GB (512 MB RAM and 1 GB ROM). What is all these specifications please tell me. I am no expert in this.

i think the new build Samsung Galaxy SL's are running Gingerbread now because the official India update to Gingerbread came out some time ago. Why not look at Windows Phone 7 Mango. I just jumped from my Defy over to a Samsung Omnia W and i am loving it. I know the Nokia Lumia 710 just got a massive price cut and is now like 15900rs. I think the Nokia would be better cause its for a reasonable price and the camera should be good. Battery life should be good as well; i am currently getting almost 26-30 hrs of battery life on a single charge with 3G on .

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 1st February 2012 at 22:19.
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:28   #8534
BHPian

BHPians i need your suggestions.

I am planning to get my dad a Nokia Lumia 710 which is now available at 15.5k. Is it worth buying? Or better to go with N8?

He mainly needs a good camera, fast spec phone and good call reception. He is currently using Nokia 5800XM and he is familiar with its interface.

Is the windows OS user friendly compared to good old symbian?

Who have been using it please write your feedback or quick review on Lumia 710 please.
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:55   #8535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007

Neo V is good choice as the display and camera is good. But look at Samsung Galaxy R which has VFM with lot of features for around 20k. It is small brother of galaxy SII. Read review of SG R in gsmarena.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks