Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 16:52   #8446
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Has anyone bought Nokia 701 (not Lumia 710) handset? What is the opinion with regard to that phone and "symbian"OS? Is it worth 17k . I found it quite slim and handy. I have BB,will i be able to transfer all my contacts to that phone? I am looking for a slim and light weight phone,easy texting ,good camera with zoom and good sound,all for less than 20K.Thanks in advance.
Nokia 701 has 2 basic problems:
1. Outdated Symbian OS
2. Fixed focus camera

IMHO, it is not worth 17k.

If you want a slim and handy phone with good camera, look no further than SE Ray.

Rohan
Old 5th January 2012, 18:22   #8447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But only for the first year.

IIRC, it's the same for symbian as well.
Oh ok, I did not notice the message while installing. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
vb-san and vikram_d: there's this particular issue with my HTC HD7 Mango.

Whenever I send/forward messages to multiple people, there's a 50% chance the message can't be delivered. I can't seem to find out why.

All the contacts who I'm sending the message to have their numbers saved under the mobile category and yet this problem crops up.

Any pointers?
Never faced this issue. Probably because I normally SMS to a max of 2-3 folks at a time. I will check around if other friends using WP7.5 have this problem.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:47   #8448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Oh ok, I did not notice the message while installing. Thanks

Never faced this issue. Probably because I normally SMS to a max of 2-3 folks at a time. I will check around if other friends using WP7.5 have this problem.
Number of people ain't an issue. I have sent a message to 10 people and it was delivered.

I can't pinpoint what is causing this. I'd read somewhere that you can't send a SMS to a mobile no. if it is not saved under the "Mobile" category in the contact's details. But that is not the case with me.
Old 7th January 2012, 15:54   #8449
BHPian

A few more questions on WhatsApp: I was curious to know how much data WhapsApp uses. When you start WhatsApp and you press Options ->About, you get an option of network usage which shows you how much data transfer has taken place via Wifi and via Cellular (GPRS). I was interested in knowing the Cellular data. There were two figures one for outgoing and one for incoming. I want to know is what will be the total data usage? Sum of both right?
Old 8th January 2012, 21:39   #8450
BHPian

Just an update on my N8 :
2 updates done, first was from original S^3 to Anna , then another FOTA in December. The second update seems to have slowed the cellphone down, it's slower to respond at times , I think the best response was before Anna , each update seems to bloat it.

I haven't yet loaded Ovi maps or anything, so far I was trying to assess data usage before attempting to download many apps and maps and run huge bills !

Other quirks - the music app is poor, adding or deleting music causes an error saying "media library corrupt" and tries to rebuild , which takes quite few minutes and multiple attempts and is annoying because it's fairly frequent. Sound quality is good (using Creative EP630 earphones ). Video playback is good, and only a few videos of a type don't play. Battery life is fair, not exactly satisfactory but I can get more than a day out of usually. Screen is good enough , though I haven't tried any other higher res phones with 800x480 screens ; I like the chunky build and the shape of the N8, but functionally leaves a lot to be desired , in terms of bug fixes.

Camera is fairly good, but for some reason images with flash turn out bad.

Overall verdict : Meets my online connectivity needs for mail/SNS but could do better, Nokia , crashing music library is annoying, some apps crash now and then, like Social and Battery Monitor. For a flagship this is a buggy product even after updates.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:21   #8451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Just an update on my N8 :
2 updates done, first was from original S^3 to Anna , then another FOTA in December. The second update seems to have slowed the cellphone down, it's slower to respond at times , I think the best response was before Anna , each update seems to bloat it.

I haven't yet loaded Ovi maps or anything, so far I was trying to assess data usage before attempting to download many apps and maps and run huge bills !

Other quirks - the music app is poor, adding or deleting music causes an error saying "media library corrupt" and tries to rebuild , which takes quite few minutes and multiple attempts and is annoying because it's fairly frequent. Sound quality is good (using Creative EP630 earphones ). Video playback is good, and only a few videos of a type don't play. Battery life is fair, not exactly satisfactory but I can get more than a day out of usually. Screen is good enough , though I haven't tried any other higher res phones with 800x480 screens ; I like the chunky build and the shape of the N8, but functionally leaves a lot to be desired , in terms of bug fixes.

Camera is fairly good, but for some reason images with flash turn out bad.

Overall verdict : Meets my online connectivity needs for mail/SNS but could do better, Nokia , crashing music library is annoying, some apps crash now and then, like Social and Battery Monitor. For a flagship this is a buggy product even after updates.
Hi buddy,

I own a n8 and feel it's the best phone.

Either have patience till Feb 2012 for Belle to be released or you flash your phone with Belle.

I have Belle for 3 months now and enjoy working with it. If you want details on flashing, let me know.

Works flawlessly and Anna looks primitive in front of it.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:06   #8452
Distinguished - BHPian

My N82 is getting a bit flaky at 3 yrs old, cutting calls sometimes, and I have always been frustrated by its keys and interface. Given my minimal use of a phone, I can eek it out for quite a while yet, but still thinking of "what next."

Not another Nokia:never a microsoft OS in my pocket. Even though the last non-MS phone from Nokia is said to be be great.

The shopoholic geek in me wants a high end Samsung galaxy (maybe even the note --- even though, whenever I think about it, I don't even have use for a tablet) but, apart from the huge amount of cash buying it, I'm not comfortable carrying that much money in a losable, breakable form and I do not need all this social-net smart phone stuff. I can live without checking my email for hours, and I don't even use the facebook/twitter/g+ stuff that people are coming to think of as the internet.

I also hate the fact that something which is an every-day every-where tool is so absurdly fragile. Sorry, can't talk now it's raining! Sorry, can't talk again, ever; I just dropped my Rs30,000 phone!

Which brings me to the Motorola Defy+.

It even does, of course, all the stuff I just said I don't even need: just, perhaps, not as fast, not as slick, not on such a big screen. It does it at a very much more realistic under-Rs.18,000 too.

Reviews are mixed though. Any comments here?
Old 9th January 2012, 15:01   #8453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Which brings me to the Motorola Defy+.

Reviews are mixed though. Any comments here?
Please post the query on the Android thread. There are plenty of Defy users on the forum.

My personal opinion is that Defy is more VFM than Defy+.

You could also check out SE Xperia Active. Samsung is also about to launch a rugged smartphone (Galaxy Xcover).

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 15:25   #8454
Distinguished - BHPian

Android thread?

Search is always a good idea! Sorry I didn't think to look for one, thanks for the pointer.

Both alternatives you mention look interesting. I don't know why I didn't find the Galaxy Xcover ...I was looking at the Samsung range online <Blush>
Old 9th January 2012, 15:46   #8455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Android thread?

Search is always a good idea! Sorry I didn't think to look for one, thanks for the pointer.

Both alternatives you mention look interesting. I don't know why I didn't find the Galaxy Xcover ...I was looking at the Samsung range online <Blush>
This is the Android thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...apps-mods.html

Samsung Galaxy Xcover has not been launched yet. It has been announced by Samsung, but the model has still not hit the market. Try searching on Google to get an idea about the model.

Rohan
Old 9th January 2012, 16:07   #8456
Distinguished - BHPian

<on a quick review --- too late to edit>

I thought Samsung might be the winner, but it seems to have a pretty rough display*. The Sony looks the nicest, although the smallest display, but it gets slated for unclear sound, and, being slightly deaf, my phone calls have enough, "What? Who? Sorry?" content already. Motorola leads the field!

<Crossposted>

Thanks Rohan

*I guess it must be available elsewhere, hence the review which I see now was only done at end-december

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th January 2012 at 16:10.
Old 10th January 2012, 15:53   #8457
BHPian

hello friends,

last month, I got myself Nokia E6; this time phone refresh for 'Home Ministry' !

need suggestion for phone with below major specs:
- Nokia as first choice
- min 5 MP camera (not fixed focus pl), preferably with flash
- Touch (+Type welcome)
- Decent Music output
- WiFi, GPS would be bonus
- Budget - under 15K

thanks,
Pranav
Old 10th January 2012, 16:29   #8458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
hello friends,

last month, I got myself Nokia E6; this time phone refresh for 'Home Ministry' !

need suggestion for phone with below major specs:
- Nokia as first choice
- min 5 MP camera (not fixed focus pl), preferably with flash
- Touch (+Type welcome)
- Decent Music output
- WiFi, GPS would be bonus
- Budget - under 15K

thanks,
Pranav
This one fits the bill perfectly: HTC ChaCha: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

OR

Sony Ericsson SK17i: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

You can get it for below 15K by applying coupons.

I would suggest add 1K and get SE NeoV (White colour) Got one for my sis and she loves it. Brilliant camera. All touch though.
Old 10th January 2012, 18:36   #8459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
This one fits the bill perfectly: HTC ChaCha: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

OR

Sony Ericsson SK17i: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

You can get it for below 15K by applying coupons.

I would suggest add 1K and get SE NeoV (White colour) Got one for my sis and she loves it. Brilliant camera. All touch though.
thanks for your fast response, I would go thru these models. any Nokia options ?
Old 10th January 2012, 23:39   #8460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
thanks for your fast response, I would go thru these models. any Nokia options ?
well nokia are nowdays using fixed focus cameras instead of autofocus (they call it EDOF technology) except for their win mobile range. This means that you will not be able to get good microshots (closeups). Though it also means that videos come out very very good (even better than N8!)

i think nokia's 701 is their best phone right now, after Lumia 800.

Last edited by joslicx : 10th January 2012 at 23:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks