Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:59   #8341
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
2) Spent a heck a lot of time getting my contact list on to the IPhone 4 the good old fashioned way...tap tap tap, entered 196 contacts last night of the 271 on my N8:
This might help:
1) Export N8 contacts to file
2) Import this file in GMail, Yahoo or Hotmail account.
3) Add this account in iPhone & contacts would appear.
PS: Windows Phone provides syncing contacts with Facebook too.

Last edited by msdivy : 22nd October 2011 at 14:00.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:11   #8342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Galaxy S2 for 22k?! It is retailing at around 29k; the cheapest you can find it is I think 27k.
There could be something fishy with the phone; 22k is too cheap.
The phone is very good though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Nothing fishy about it. I too have imported S2 (in its CDMA avatar) from the US for around 21K and that has a bigger screen and better battery than the GSM counterpart. You just need to know the right sources...
Samsung India employees get a coupon wherein you can avail 25% discount (that too, at the dealer price) for any Samsung product.
I need to show that coupon at the counter and buy any samsung phone of my choice, so nothing fishy about it.

Anyway, my original question still remains should I go ahead with the S2?

Quote:
I have been using a Nokia N8 for almost 6 months now with no issues. Then, a few days back came along an Iphone 4, when all the confusion started whether to stick with the Nokia N8 for my business/personal phone or make the switch.
This is nothing compared to the nightmare I went through. After cutting the SIM and everything, it just wont pick the signal! apparently that's a known issue with iPhones you get from US. Takes 10-15 tries during which you have to follow a series of steps, for the signal to return.

One fine day the phone got switched off by mistake, and I didn't get the signal for an entire day. Shifted my SIM back to my original phone and sent the iPhone back the very next day.

PS: Those who get the iPhone from US, don't cut the SIM yourself, get it cut from a mobile shop and retain the outside plastic, that ways the SIM can be re-used in other phones by inserting your micro SIM in the outer shell.
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:40   #8343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Samsung India employees get a coupon wherein you can avail 25% discount (that too, at the dealer price) for any Samsung product.
I need to show that coupon at the counter and buy any samsung phone of my choice, so nothing fishy about it.

Ah, then it's a good deal. S2 is a wonderful phone. Go ahead, indulge yourself!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 16:23   #8344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a no-brainer really. I am surprised you are even asking this question. At this price you should go ahead and splurge on the 'best' smartphone in the world at this moment (till Nov 10...lolz).
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 16:43   #8345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SThose who get the iPhone from US, don't cut the SIM yourself, get it cut from a mobile shop and retain the outside plastic, that ways the SIM can be re-used in other phones by inserting your micro SIM in the outer shell.
This is a factory unlocked piece bought in India. It started picking up signals after I got it cut from a cell phone dealer, it cost Rs.50 to do it, yes I have preserved the outer frame of my cut sim for the same purpose.
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:32   #8346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) Spent a heck a lot of time getting my contact list on to the IPhone 4 the good old fashioned way...tap tap tap, entered 196 contacts last night of the 271 on my N8: I have a lot of patience. There's bluetooth on the IPhone 4 that doesn't connect to other devices, except hands free... in this day and age, why have they made it that difficult to switch to the IPhone 4, simple task like syncing your contacts becomes the most arduous.
USe GMAIL. If Nokia synchs with gmail then it is trivial. Even otherwise sav the contacts as CSV from the Nokia. Then sent them to gmail, and finally synched the Apple from there (I am sure theire is an app). else the Apple should be able to import the csv file. However, csv files are not totally portable as I found when moving my phonebook from BB. Too many columns of data. I ended up using the Google route.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:49   #8347
Senior - BHPian

@sgiitk: I went through the Mail for Exchange route and ended up deleting all contacts from my N8 and it keeps asking me for my password every now and then. I had to sync it with my budget Nokia phone which also had all the contacts there. I have added all essential contacts to the Iphone 4. If you are not in awe of Apple, actually there is nothing but hype surrounding the product with many limitations.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd October 2011 at 09:50.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:28   #8348
TOR
BHPian

And its coming to India !

What a beast !

Last edited by TOR : 23rd October 2011 at 10:29.
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:26   #8349
Senior - BHPian

Really looking forward to Nokia Sea Ray. It converges applications in a nice way for windows and xbox uses.
Enough of Android.
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:40   #8350
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a problem with my Nokia E63. The problem is that it is not able to send or receive SMS's.

When the SIM is inserted in another phone, I am able to send/receive SMS's. Also the message service number in the phone is ok, so i believe there is some problem with the phone software.

The phone is out of warranty. Is there any DIY way to reboot/format the phone? Taking it to the CC will be my last resort.

Kindly help!!

regards
Old 23rd October 2011, 14:07   #8351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Is there any DIY way to reboot/format the phone?
Dial *#7370# (or *#7780# if that does not work). Enter 12345 as code if asked.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 10:42   #8352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have a problem with my Nokia E63. The problem is that it is not able to send or receive SMS's.
I would recommend doing this:

Turn off the phone, take out the battery and SIM. Leave it like that for a good fifteen minutes. Then put everything back in, and try again. If it works, well and good. You've saved yourself a lot more time.

If it didn't, then try restoring factory settings: Type *#7870# and then, enter the phone security code (the default code is 12345, but if you've changed it to something else, be sure to enter that). This won't delete anything, but will simply reset all settings to factory default. The ringtones, themes, profiles, message settings, message and email storage locations, contact storage location, etc.

Once you're through, see if you can send SMS. There's a high chance that this will solve your problem. If not, proceed with the rest of the steps below:

WARNING: These two steps would erase your phone memory clean, so I recommend making a backup of the phone memory in your PC, using the Nokia PC Suite or Ovi Suite applications. It's fairly simple, you have to download the PC Suite/Ovi suite from the Nokia site, and connect the phone through USB cable, and do a backup.

Type the Soft Reset code (Soft reset, because it's actually a code) *#7370# followed by the security code. It formats the phone memory. It deletes everything stored in the phone memory - contacts, texts, emails, pics, music, video, profile settings, apps - everything that's stored in the phone memory. If you are done, try sending SMS. Next, restore the backup from the PC. Use PC Suite/Ovi Suite. BUT restore only ONE item at a time - Contacts, then Contacts + Messages, then Contacts + Messages + Settings, and finally Contacts + Messages + Settings + User files. After each restore operation, the phone would restart. And after each restart, verify that you can send SMS. I've seen that the Settings part is often what screws up, so I would just skip restoring that.

If the Soft reset doesn't work, the procedure is a Hard Reset - Turn off the phone, press and hold down the * key, 3 key and the Call (green) button while turning on the phone. These three keys should be kept pressed until the phone asks for the PIN code/Security code/Date & Time settings (whichever occurs first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Dial *#7370# (or *#7780# if that does not work). Enter 12345 as code if asked.
Not entirely true. Read above.

Quote:
Is there any DIY way to reboot/format the phone?
If I were you, I would've posted this query right in the Nokia Discussions forum instead of Team-BHP. You get more informative answers and probably easier ways to solve problems with Nokia phones. My experience.

Last edited by silversteed : 24th October 2011 at 10:56.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:59   #8353
BHPian

Today snapdeal is offering samsung galaxy s plus 9001 for 18.298K
Flipkart and others offer the same for ~22k.

how good is the deal and any negative points of this model?

Source: Pay Rs 18298 for a Samsung Galaxy S Plus - I9001 worth Rs 24530
Old 26th October 2011, 19:34   #8354
BHPian

Welcome back Nokia

Welcome back Nokia

Old 30th October 2011, 16:06   #8355
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,i have a Motorola EX115 and have just purchased a Samsung GalaxyS2.I want to shift all my contacts from Motorola to Samsung.Is there any program/software that i can use?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks