Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 00:57   #8326
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Here's the thing. All the Apps on WP 7.5 (ie Mango) run on Marketplace; and Marketplace has not been launched in India *yet*. It has been almost a year since Windows phones have been in India.

There is a work around of course; the Windows live account you create (mandatory when you use a WP); mention the location as US. Now, you get access to Marketplace and all the Apps. BUT BUT, all the Apps are US-based; hence all the Maps/GPS Apps too.

All the good ones are charged and most hardly work in India.

The in-built Maps App in the phone is mainly a GPS tracker; no logs.
congratulations to microsoft for making windows phone almost same as iPhone
Old 15th October 2011, 08:50   #8327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
congratulations to microsoft for making windows phone almost same as iPhone
Agreed! The WP 7.5 OS is quite impressive. I was thinking of changing my HTC HD7 to iPhone 4S in November, but now I don't feel iPhone is that superior. Infact, the Internet experience is much better in my Windows phone compared to my wife’s iPhone (or my previous Moto Milestone XT Android).
Old 17th October 2011, 20:56   #8328
Senior - BHPian

I was being sarcastic on all the restrictions . I have windows mobile 6.5 and not ready to let go any time soon. But next step would most probably be windows phone 7. Waiting for Nokia to reveal some.

Two very important features I use are OTFE and keyboard remapper, without which phone's usability will reduce to less than 40%.
Old 18th October 2011, 14:40   #8329
Senior - BHPian

For a "normal" user, who has never owned a smartphone , which of these phones makes better sense ?

Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V
or
Nokia 701

Both have a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and priced in the region of 17k rupees. The Nokia gets Symbian Belle while Android 2.3.4 is loaded on the Xperia.
The Xperia gets a 1500mAh battery while the Nokia gets a 1300 mAh one. Assuming the Nokia to still have better battery life.
Though both support 720p@30fps video recording , the Nokia's cam has a better still resolution of 8 MP, to Xperia's 5MP.
Assuming that I wont go bonkers with the app loading, how would the phones fare if the normal usage is a bit of browsing, some emails, some social networking, impromptu photo/video clicking (like those of traffic offenders! ) , some apps as and when the requirement pops up.
I am really confused.
Old 19th October 2011, 09:34   #8330
Senior - BHPian

SE Neo V vs Nokia 701 - now thats a tough call.

The advantages of Nokia 701 would be battery life, GPS with preinstalled maps and voice guidance software and 8 GB of internal memory.

The advantages of SE Neo V would be camera with auto-focus (both for images and video, IIRC) and access to Android apps.

Nokia 701 has a 8 MP camera but lacks auto focus. SE Neo V has a 5 MP camera with auto focus. I think SE Neo V has the upper edge.

I am a die hard SE fanboy. My vote would go for SE Neo V.

But you need to decide your priorities and then decide accordingly.

Symbian OS doesn't seem to have a bright future. I wouldn't buy such an expensive phone running Symbian OS at this time.

You could also consider Samsung Galaxy S LCD and Wave II.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 10:41   #8331
Senior - BHPian

I find the Galaxy S LCD a bit unpocketable due to size. Though with dropping prices (it was on sale for 17.xx K sometime last week in an Ebay offer) , it does seem like an attractive proposition. Doesnt have an official Gingerbread upgrade though, AFAIK.
The SE Neo V imho, looks fantastic, compared to the Nokia. I am in no hurry though, and am willing to wait for some more time until I go for something which tickles me in the right amounts.

PS: I am currently only on my 2nd phone in 8-9 years!
Old 19th October 2011, 23:58   #8332

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I find the Galaxy S LCD a bit unpocketable due to size. Though with dropping prices (it was on sale for 17.xx K sometime last week in an Ebay offer) , it does seem like an attractive proposition. Doesnt have an official Gingerbread upgrade though, AFAIK.
The SE Neo V imho, looks fantastic, compared to the Nokia. I am in no hurry though, and am willing to wait for some more time until I go for something which tickles me in the right amounts.

PS: I am currently only on my 2nd phone in 8-9 years!
You can try Samsung Focus which is a Windows 7 Phone. It's available on Ebay.Com for $ 150 to $ 175. Landed cost in India through one of the shopping forwarding sites should be Rs 10-12K max. In terms of Specs, it's similar to Galaxy S series with 4" Super Amoled display, 16GB built in storage with 32GB Expandable (One of the rare Windows 7 phone to have Micro SD Card support), 1 Ghz processor. It's locked to US network but unlock codes available easily on Ebay and with that can work on all GSM networks in India.

It supports the latest Windows 7.5 Mango update.
Old 20th October 2011, 08:54   #8333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
If you are not in a hurry, wait till Nokia launches the Windows based smartphones. Nokia hardware + Windows OS sounds like a deadly combination.

Rohan
Old 20th October 2011, 12:12   #8334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
You can try Samsung Focus which is a Windows 7 Phone. It's available on Ebay.Com for $ 150 to $ 175. .....It supports the latest Windows 7.5 Mango update.
Thanks man, but I really want to keep the Koreans as the last option. N.O.M. to existing phone owners, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If you are not in a hurry, wait till Nokia launches the Windows based smartphones. Nokia hardware + Windows OS sounds like a deadly combination.

Rohan
The Windows+Nokia phones are taking forever to come. Already the game has moved ahead with iOS5 and Ice Cream Sandwich offerings being launched. I am tired of seeing "leaked" images of the upcoming "Sea Ray".

Last edited by sajo : 20th October 2011 at 12:13.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:11   #8335
BHPian

Was looking for a phone for some time, a friend in Samsung got me a deal: The Galaxy S2 for 22K odd. Initially I had a budget of 15K in mind, but can stretch if some nice deal comes along, and this seems to be as good as it gets.

What do you guys think, should I go ahead?
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:27   #8336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Was looking for a phone for some time, a friend in Samsung got me a deal: The Galaxy S2 for 22K odd. Initially I had a budget of 15K in mind, but can stretch if some nice deal comes along, and this seems to be as good as it gets.

What do you guys think, should I go ahead?
Galaxy S2 for 22k?! It is retailing at around 29k; the cheapest you can find it is I think 27k.

There could be something fishy with the phone; 22k is too cheap.

The phone is very good though.
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:37   #8337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There could be something fishy with the phone; 22k is too cheap.
Nothing fishy about it. I too have imported S2 (in its CDMA avatar) from the US for around 21K and that has a bigger screen and better battery than the GSM counterpart. You just need to know the right sources...
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:51   #8338
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a Nokia N8 for almost 6 months now with no issues. Then, a few days back came along an Iphone 4, when all the confusion started whether to stick with the Nokia N8 for my business/personal phone or make the switch.
Issues:
1) Have to get the SIM cut to size to fit the micro SIM slot.
2) Spent a heck a lot of time getting my contact list on to the IPhone 4 the good old fashioned way...tap tap tap, entered 196 contacts last night of the 271 on my N8: I have a lot of patience. There's bluetooth on the IPhone 4 that doesn't connect to other devices, except hands free... in this day and age, why have they made it that difficult to switch to the IPhone 4, simple task like syncing your contacts becomes the most arduous.
3) When you want to 'really' exit an app at the end one has to double click the home button and then you see all the app's literally dangling there at the bottom of the screen and have to exit them one by one clicking on the red minus button on each. Yikes why don't just give a solid exit button and be done with it?
4) Got to go through ITunes for each and everything.
5) Phone is for "connecting" with the world and Apple does everything in it's power to disconnect you from every one around, can't share anything via bluetooth with friends. Look, agree then songs bought on ITunes will be doing the rounds free; but even Nokia has Ovi store and Music and songs I download there are encrypted and can't be shared, but other songs/photo's can be shared via bluetooth, why not encrypt instead doing a blanket ban like this.
6) I should have done this ideally on the IPhone thread, but is it I'm missing something or is there in Apple IPhone 4 something more than meets the eye.
7) Had any other phone been released in the market with all these limitations it would have fallen flat on it's face. So why is Apple soo aspirational and coveted?

Last edited by Durango Dude : 22nd October 2011 at 12:54.
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:54   #8339
Team-BHP Support

@ Durango Dude : Welcome to reality!

I face the exact same issues; Apple and Windows-based phones have this problem. With HTC HD7, I have to use Zune for everything and Bluetooth connects only with the Handsfree.

Such is life!
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:24   #8340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I have been using a Nokia N8 for almost 6 months now with no issues. Then, a few days back came along an Iphone 4, when all the confusion started whether to stick with the Nokia N8 for my business/personal phone or make the switch…
Welcome to the world of new age smart phones!

IMHO, the Smartphones are aspirational not because of the basic features of the phone i.e.; call clarity, contacts portability etc. It’s revered for its multimedia capabilities and the number of applications it supports. What you have mentioned are not limitations, but a different way of interfacing – and yes, it’s more cumbersome.

On a side note, during the days of glory, Nokia phones were so rigid that every file transfer (even a small ringtone file) was possible only via Nokia PCSuite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
1) Have to get the SIM cut to size to fit the micro SIM slot.
Cut the SIM! How does that work? Don’t you get a replacement Micro SIM from your mobile service provider?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks