Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 09:51   #8296
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You should check out Samsung Galaxy Ace and HTC Wildfire S. Android based phones with tons of features. Ace is faster of the 2 with a 800 MHz processor. Both are ~13k.

For HD Recording, you'd need HTC HD7 or Samsung Galaxy S2; but both these are ~30k.
A good camera is required these days. I think HD recording is a great feature to have in a phone. There are couple of other phones which offer HD recording but they fall short in other parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Oh you are selecting a phone for yourself, somehow I got the idea that you are posting the query on behalf of some other person.

If you are averse to Nokia, I would suggest the upcoming Samsung Galaxy W. It is about to be launched in a month or so. Expected price < 20K.

Other options could be Sony Ericsson Arc, Neo and Ray. All amazing phones.

Rohan
Its not that I am averse to Nokia, its just that they are happy following the pack for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Nokia 701 is launched @ 17500, available at Nokia stores only.
Yes it is launched but it is also available at indiaplaza.com for 16k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was also on Nokia for a dozen years, and agree with you 100%. You can get a lot of hardware on Android, just go and find one from a major vendor (LG, Samsung, htc, Motorola, etc.) which suits you. Another option can be a Blackberry. I had one for about seven months and had to move out since it was a 'grey' unit and Reliance was going big on MEID registration. I have a htc Incredible 2 on CDMA (actually a world phone - CDMA + GSM). The equivalent GSM only is Incredible S. Brilliant phone.
Android will rule the market for a good number of years, hence the new found allegiance to Android. Frankly, I would not like to be BB boy! Incredible S surely was on my watch list but it a touch above my budget, guess I have to revise the budget now.
Old 30th September 2011, 10:00   #8297
BHPian

Guys, was suggesting the Nokia E5 to Dad as he needed a qwerty phone with email for under 10k. I personally use an E63.

However, I saw the new Moto Fire which runs Android 2.3 and has a full BB like qwerty keys in portrait design. The screen looked low res. Is anyone using it? Costs about 9k same as the E5.

Any pointers on the E5 will be much appreciated as well.

Personally I feel Android may be too complicated for him and Nokia be much easier to manouvre..
Thanks.
Old 30th September 2011, 10:03   #8298
Senior - BHPian

I don't want to sound like a Nokia fanboy (because I'm actually a Sony Ericsson fanboy ), but I feel that Nokia may be lagging behind in the high end smartphone race , but it would not be correct to write them off as yet.

IMHO, Nokia still makes the best mid range smart phones which provide the best bang for your buck. For example, the upcoming Nokia 600 has a 3.2 inch capacitive display with nHD resolution, 1 GHz processor, 2 GB internal memory, pentaband connectivity, wifi, GPS, bluetooth 3.0, NFC, FM Tx, internal FM Rx, 5 MP still camera, 720p HD video recording, 15 hrs talktime, 60 hrs music playback and much more.

Show me one phone which provides such features at 13k INR and I will be the first person to bash Nokia.

Rohan
Old 30th September 2011, 11:11   #8299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, Nokia still makes the best mid range smart phones which provide the best bang for your buck. For example, the upcoming Nokia 600 has a 3.2 inch capacitive display with nHD resolution, 1 GHz processor, 2 GB internal memory, pentaband connectivity, wifi, GPS, bluetooth 3.0, NFC, FM Tx, internal FM Rx, 5 MP still camera, 720p HD video recording, 15 hrs talktime, 60 hrs music playback and much more.
Those are indeed the latest hardware specs. But what matters is how they are exposed via software (OS). Nokia needs a friendly interface for their hardware. Even players like Maxx, Karbon, MicroMax can offer those specs. They have an edge since they have Android.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:33   #8300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Those are indeed the latest hardware specs. But what matters is how they are exposed via software (OS). Nokia needs a friendly interface for their hardware. Even players like Maxx, Karbon, MicroMax can offer those specs. They have an edge since they have Android.
Nokia's Symbian Belle OS is getting a thumbs up from most expert reviewers in terms of the overall user experience. It is still not upto the mark when compared with Android or iOS, but the Belle update is definitely a huge step in the right direction.

The problem is that most people got completely turned off by the half baked touch interface in the previous generation Nokia models and have sweared that they will never ever touch a Nokia even with a bargepole.

But if you are willing to consider the newer Nokia models in an unbiased manner, you might be pleasantly surprised with what they have to offer.

Rohan
Old 30th September 2011, 15:31   #8301
Senior - BHPian

Nokia's Symbian OS is EOL, so buying one is a big question mark. Though without doubt the hardware is one of the best available, I was really disappointed with the OS. I used an E7 for a bit but small features such as push mail (available in the S60 os but not in 3) really put me off.
Am waiting for a touch and type from Nokia features Mango! lets see how long they keep me waiting!
Old 30th September 2011, 15:46   #8302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nokia's Symbian Belle OS is getting a thumbs up from most expert reviewers in terms of the overall user experience. It is still not upto the mark when compared with Android or iOS
Even Nokia is Giving up on this OS. It is now going to replace this with a Linux based OS.

meltemi nokia - Google Search
Old 1st October 2011, 07:23   #8303
BHPian

I am in a dilemma between HTC sensation and Samsung S2, I have gone through some reviews and Samsung S2 is the winner in most of them, at the same time HTC Sensation is the winner in looks and also the Sense UI it offers. It is going to be my first Android phone and I am not averse to modding/rooting if it helps improve the touch and feel along with better functionality/usage.

Can the experts and HTC/Samsung owners give their views and recommendations to help me decide and choose.

Appreciate your help as always.
Old 1st October 2011, 11:08   #8304
Senior - BHPian

Shanky2 - take that up in the android thread.

Now folks, let us take a short freak from the several pages of "which android phone" questions here.

What are the implications of this:-

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : New spectrum bands identified for mobile broadband service
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:17   #8305
Senior - BHPian

Anybody knows where I can get a huawei u9000 faceplate for a phone? (glass broken, LCD intact).
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:22   #8306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

From the article itself:

Quote:
NFAP is only a broad guideline outlining the future roadmap for spectrum usage in line with international standards. The actual implementation of this Plan depends upon inter-ministerial negotiations.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:41   #8307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nokia's Symbian Belle OS is getting a thumbs up from most expert reviewers in terms of the overall user experience. It is still not upto the mark when compared with Android or iOS, but the Belle update is definitely a huge step in the right direction.
Belle may be as snappier as iOS or Android but I will resist myself from buying a phone from a company that was sleeping while smartphones from others started ruling the market. Specs of the new phones also look good but I don't think this faster version of Symbian can take that hardware to the next level.

A 600 Mhz iPhone 3GS is very responsive and faster than many new phones out there - I'd say they got it right with the software that rightly mated with the underlying hardware. (I am an Android user by the way)

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd October 2011 at 18:47.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:04   #8308
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax; Let me say that Nokia is no longer the market leader. Also, the CEO has tied up with Microsoft so they are migrating to Windows. Symbian in my views is in critical care.
Old 6th October 2011, 23:09   #8309
BHPian

Guys need some suggestions. My dad's phone is behaving strangely these days. He owns a Nokia N78. He has been using it for the past 2 years now but I think it needs to be replaced soon. Buttons behaving wierdly (one button needs to be pressed at a particular angle for it to function), Screen going blank and coming to life again when restarted, charging problems etc. I know these are just small things but signal the last few moments of the phone. I had posted a similar query some time back but somehow did not get any replies.

Anyways my dad is mainly going to use the phone for calling and SMS. Smart and elegant looks are a must. Never listens to music so even an average music player would suffice. Same thing goes for Camera and browsing capabilities. My dad will not be using them but just want to have them in case he feels like using them. Brands like Micromaxx/Lava are a strict no. Only Nokia/Samsung/HTC/LG preferred. Budget is around 13k-15k. He does not have much experience of touch phones but is not against them. But he likes the traditional bar phone. Also he would prefer a compact phone and not the bulky big ones. Note that weight is not an issue but the size can be an issue.
Old 7th October 2011, 09:11   #8310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Anyways my dad is mainly going to use the phone for calling and SMS. Smart and elegant looks are a must.
But he likes the traditional bar phone. Also he would prefer a compact phone and not the bulky big ones. Note that weight is not an issue but the size can be an issue.
I would suggest Nokia C5-00, C3 touch and type and X3 touch and type.

If he is open to full touch screen phones, there are plenty other options.

Rohan

Most Viewed