Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 13:15   #8161
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Well, I dont think you need to look for any feedback at all. That's because at the sort of price range you are looking at the only dual sim phone available is the Samsung Star Duos.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:28   #8162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am confused between Nokia E5 and Samsung Galaxy Pro.

My main requirements (in order of priority) are:
1. Good call clarity, signal strength and good music quality
2. Good battery life
3. GPS navigation (pre loaded maps preferred)
4. Touch screen preferred but not mandatory
5. QWERTY preferred but not mandatory
6. Good build quality
7. Pocketable size (should be able to carry in jeans front pocket)
8. Document viewer and editor preinstalled
9. Other features like decent camera, wifi, bluetooth etc
10. I am open to any OS (Symbian/Android)

Samsung Galaxy Pro seems really VFM. But I am having some serious doubts about this model. The prices have dropped very sharply for this model. Is there some known issue in this model ? Also, I find the shape to be a bit odd, it may not fit in my jeans front pocket.

How usable is the GPS navigation feature in a non-touch screen device like E5 ?

Both phones have same resolution display, but Galaxy Pro's display is larger. Does it help to have a bigger display if the resolution is the same ?

Any other suggestions in this price range ? No Blackberry please.

Rohan

Hi Rohan i had also finalized on Pro and happened to read the user review in a website where i found consistently people saying that the battery life is extremely poor which seems to be the most important concern. I would like to suggest an alternative option of Moto Charm which seems to be good bet.And i also have an opinion that Nokia stands first in mobile followed by Motorola and then only Samsung. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by rki2007 : 25th July 2011 at 17:33.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:06   #8163
Team-BHP Support

Fellas, any fresh offerings from BB? I'd prefer a touch. No budget constraints as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi Rohan i had also finalized on Pro and happened to read the user review in a website where i found consistently people saying that the battery life is extremely poor which seems to be the most important concern. I would like to suggest an alternative option of Moto Charm which seems to be good bet.
Is Motorola any better when it comes to battery life? Have Motorola done significant improvements in that regard? I currently have a 3yr old Razr2 V8 and the battery backup is as follows : 8 hrs when I talk for about less than 1hr and send ~10 messages. Backup time is 2 days. Certainly not decent.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:13   #8164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What is the best bet for a phone fitting the foll. bills -
1) up to 30k
2) no Motorola, Samsung, LG, Sony.. not Nokia if Symbian - absolutely hate the snail's pace on them
3) camera, min. 3.2MP
4) GPS, wi-fi, 3G, bluetooth
5) should have a fast OS
6) decent web browser
7) space for music/music capabilities need not be advanced
8) shouldn't be bulky
9) touch or QWERTY

I thought about Blackberry but don't require push-mail so won't do justice to it. Being offered a iPhone but somehow it doesn't appeal to me and lack of Bluetooth connectivity with other phones is a big turn off.

Have a week or so to decide. Help!

Haven't "decided" on a phone ever yet; first phone was a Nokia 1108 and the next one has been Razr2.
Please think over your decision to rule out Samsung. It is the largest smart phone manufacturer, apart from HTC.

I'll just give you a short overview on Samsung, coz I don't know a lot about HTC phones.

You can get Galaxy S - 20k, Nexus S - 20k, Galaxy SII - 30k.

There's not much difference between Galaxy S and SII, as far as looks and UI are concerned. But the hardware in SII is a beast.

While Galaxy S is more of an iPhone ripoff (in terms of User Interface), Nexus S is different. That's not a good or a bad thing. Depends on the user.

According to Wikipedia, the GPS on Galaxy S is a disaster, and that Nexus S has made tremendous improvements on this point. Apart from that, Nexus S is a Google phone, which means it will be, by far, the first phone to get software updates.

Nexus S, however, does come with its own set of negatives. It doesn't shoot 720p video. I don't remember the resolution, but the video's decent enough to be watched in full screen mode on my 1024x768 CRT. And the default camera app doesn't support zoom, yet. Or the ability to change pic resolution. And it doesn't come with its own file management system. You have to download one, like Astro. But no problems once you do.

And Nexus S comes with built in 16GB memory, but you can't add a memory card.

The supported formats list on Nexus S isn't even half of Galaxy S's list. Do take care of it, in case you consider Samsung.

And...getting accessories for Nexus S is much harder than Galaxy S. At least in my town, I couldn't get a pouch for my Nexus S, and now I have to get one custom tailored. Galaxy S and SII come with in-box pouch.

And....Nexus S doesn't come with Gorilla Glass, unlike Galaxy S, but it's glass has been reported to be resilient enough. I didn't take a chance and got a scratch guard installed.

Nexus S could be a winner phone, if not for the numerous minor mistakes Google committed.
anku94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 10:08   #8165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi Rohan i had also finalized on Pro and happened to read the user review in a website where i found consistently people saying that the battery life is extremely poor which seems to be the most important concern. I would like to suggest an alternative option of Moto Charm which seems to be good bet.And i also have an opinion that Nokia stands first in mobile followed by Motorola and then only Samsung. Please correct me if i am wrong.
I have also read many user reviews of the Samsung Galaxy Pro. Almost every user was complaining about the poor battery backup. So I guess that rules out the Galaxy Pro for me. But I have to admit that apart from the battery backup, it seems a really VFM phone.

Battery life is important for me. Perhaps thats the reason I am yet to try out an Android phone.

And yes, in the battery backup department - Nokia still rules.

Rohan
Old 26th July 2011, 10:18   #8166
Senior - BHPian

I think like mentioned earlier, with Android a few apps go a long way in improving battery back up. Check this out before ruling out Android phones.
Old 26th July 2011, 18:10   #8167
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen

Need micro SD card for Galaxy S. Some questions

Will a class 10 card make a difference? or class 4 and 6 OK?

Why is the Kingston so expensive and is it worth the premium?

Is ADATA and Transcend brands any good?

Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 18:17   #8168
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me, where can I get a good Class 6/10 micro SD online??? I cant find one on retail in my town.
Old 26th July 2011, 18:40   #8169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Fellas, any fresh offerings from BB? I'd prefer a touch. No budget constraints as such.

Is Motorola any better when it comes to battery life? Have Motorola done significant improvements in that regard? I currently have a 3yr old Razr2 V8 and the battery backup is as follows : 8 hrs when I talk for about less than 1hr and send ~10 messages. Backup time is 2 days. Certainly not decent.
It is natural that the battery drains out when the phone becomes old and obviously that has happened to you. I own an Moto Rokr E6 touch phone for past 3 years. It is only now the battery is getting drained out and till today it is working fine. Even though it may not match Nokia is certain aspects like user friendly feature, still it seems to be better than Samsung. I do not no much about Samsung smart phones and the battery problem of Galaxy pro is not my comment, but it is user review of hundreds of people using it. Also those who are using Charm appreciate the same.

Last edited by rki2007 : 26th July 2011 at 18:44.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:40   #8170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Ma'am, devices go bad/die all the time- there's no element of luck/destiny involced!
If things lasted for ever,many companies' would go bust, so I guess a finite life is designed in.
Delhi is chockful of mobile repair guys, we Indians hate to discard things without a fight.
Just ask around the place where you stay/work.
There's a pretty good guy in Kotla; I'll see if I can locate his phone number.
But, in the meantime, just ask a few people, I'm sure you'll get prompt advice.
Thank you, Kamal.
I am sorry I could not reply earlier as I was traveling.

But I did read your reply and felt at peace. You're right, if things lasted forever, many companies would go out of business.

And we humans get attached to these things without realizing that everything has a limited life.

But the good news is, the phone got repaired and I am really happy. Though, I do understand that it can go bad again. ...its life!
Old 1st August 2011, 13:48   #8171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
After struggling with HTC Touch Diamond for 2 yrs, i swore off HTC phones. Had to change the motherboard, touch screen (twice)... actually only once bcoz i didnt bother the second time..
Well, the phone got fixed. They had to change the motherboard.

I am still an HTC fan.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:21   #8172
Senior - BHPian

Nokia announces Nokia 500 - an affordable touch screen smartphone releasing in Q3, with 1 GHz processor and long battery life, at a mouth watering price of 150 euros.

Specs include quadband GSM, pentaband HSDPA, 3.2 inch capacitive touchscreen (640x360), 2GB internal memory, wifi, bluetooth, GPS, digital compass, FM, 5 MP camera, accelerometer, proximity sensor etc.

It will come pre loaded with Symbian Anna OS and interchangeable back panels in different colours.

For those who want an affordable smartphone with good battery life, nothing beats this baby in the sub 10k price range. I am glued.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 2nd August 2011 at 11:24.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:29   #8173
Senior - BHPian

Haven't used it - but Samsung has couple of touch screen phones in 3.5 to 5.5 range.

[quote=rohan_iitr;2452834]It will come pre loaded with Symbian Anna OS and interchangeable back panels in different colours./quote]

Developed in their Chennai center?
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:28   #8174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Haven't used it - but Samsung has couple of touch screen phones in 3.5 to 5.5 range.

Developed in their Chennai center?
Samsung does have some low end smartphones, but they suffer from poor display resolution. Nokia is perhaps the only reputed brand which supplies high resolution displays in sub 10K phones. The touch screen response may not be great in Nokia phones, but the resolution is amazing. IMHO, resolution is important while browsing or watching videos.

Even I am suspecting that Symbian Anna must have been developed in Chennai and Symbian Belle somewhere in Punjab.

Rohan
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:07   #8175
Senior - BHPian

The Nokia 500 seems great on specs, but Nokia's bane remains the OS. So what remains to be seen is how good Symbian Anna is. It's predecessor, Symbian 3 didnt really create any ruffles at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks