Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 09:37   #8146
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ah yes, i was mistaken - i didn't know n8 even on letsbuy was that expensive.

the BB is what you need. Yes, you will miss the games but what do you gain? (sgiitk saab will now kill me but I shall bravely proceed)
a. BBM - no cost chatting with friends. Whatsapp is good but not good enough.
b. I'm going to be accused of stereotyping but as a collegian you will be SMSing alot - which needs a qwerty phone. We all did timepass in our times. Doing it on an android = battery drain. Android just cannot take the same kind of heavy usage
c. Long battery life. As a college student you'll be out hanging with friends and filching a charger (and finding a safe place to put it) is a hassle. not to mention, people like me would keep making a joke of you
d. Non-visual usage. Let's face it. there are times you'd be surreptitiously typing away in a lecture or smsing while multitasking. Try doing that on a touch screen.
e. Facebook and Twitter all work fantastic - you can do the likes and quick comments faster on a BB!!

We've all been there and beyond in our times. Student times need a BB. Trust me on this one.

/I send about 5 odd tweets, 5 odd forum posts and 15-20 emails + 1.5-2 hours of talking (mostly over bluetooth) on my phone. The battery always limps back home. so trust me on this one!!
Well, let me try and point out the other side of BB.

1. Pretty high costs of taking a BB connection.
2. BBM messenger, would require your friends to be on it too.
3. Long battery life is available on many phones today
4. One of the worst looking OSs out there.
5. A crap camera, something which any college student wants to do is to take a pic of ur friend sleeping in class next to you.
6. Small screen doesnt make for a great browsing experience, very useful for passing time during classes.
7. FB/Twitter and Now Google+ will work equally great on Android.

But overall, the single point which counts the BB out for a college student is, its not a stylish phone in anyway. It had a "cool" factor 2-3 years ago. But after Android its just completely bland. The only two BB's worth considering are the Bold 2 and the Torch, both of which are well over the 15k mark.

My first choice would remain the Galaxy Pro. If you are not hell bent on Android, may want to take a look at the C6, because of its large touchscreen along with qwerty keypad. If you want a large screen Android, take a look at the Galaxy Ace.

Last edited by julupani : 17th July 2011 at 09:57.
Old 17th July 2011, 09:55   #8147
Senior - BHPian

See, I hate to belabor the point, but what does the average guy get to do - he gets to class, has lunch, attends evening tutorials, then chills out with junta after class - gets back to his room for shower or dumping his bag, then quickly heads out to play, then spends time at the cafeteria in the evening doing general bakar while simultaneously smsing some cute girl. Atleast when we were in college (6-7 years back), we never had too many places to put phones on charge at.

Yes, its not the best looking, yes, android has the wow, yes, the screen is small - but I'm saying its a good purchase for now. For the next 2 years. Its not like i've told him to get married for the next 7 lives to BB. In 2 years, he buys the next shiny thing on the market.

Of course, it costs a small amount but 199 for 3GB of crap EDGE vs 450 bucks of BIS which is almost always faster imnsho is hardly anything. he'll surely spend much much more in coffee shops
Old 17th July 2011, 10:01   #8148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
@ Sgiitk sir
I can spend max 15k . And i don't think 2.3 ginger bread comes within that budget.I also happened to see the Samsung galaxy S which is with all the features but the price is some 20 k. Android 2.1 is now an older version may be atleast i have to buy froyo or buy 2.1 and then upgrade if it is possible.

What to do?- I would like be connected all the time and planning to take a 3g access to my sim. No business use i am still a student
why dont you take a look at Galaxy SL. Its a bit higher at 19k, but worth every extra penny!!
Old 17th July 2011, 10:22   #8149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See, I hate to belabor the point, but what does the average guy get to do - he gets to class, has lunch, attends evening tutorials, then chills out with junta after class - gets back to his room for shower or dumping his bag, then quickly heads out to play, then spends time at the cafeteria in the evening doing general bakar while simultaneously smsing some cute girl. Atleast when we were in college (6-7 years back), we never had too many places to put phones on charge at.
You think a standard Android phone will not last through a standard day of a college goer that he has to take a BB. Even my N900 will last through that much. Also I dont think I want to be known as they guy with the crappy looking phone, neither to my peers nor to the girls.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:35   #8150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
You think a standard Android phone will not last through a standard day of a college goer that he has to take a BB. Even my N900 will last through that much. Also I dont think I want to be known as they guy with the crappy looking phone, neither to my peers nor to the girls.
My defy barely lasts a day with my current usage. and I can assure you that I texted far more and recharged my phone far less during my college days.

and the defy doesnt exactly have the worst battery.

If there's some secret way that you know of stretching android batteries despite heavy usage? let me know. with lesser usage, even the E63 barely lasted a day.

Please enlighten me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
why dont you take a look at Galaxy SL. Its a bit higher at 19k, but worth every extra penny!!
Even that doesn't have the best known battery with heavy usage (though its 10% higher than even galaxy S). Shashank.A put his week old Galaxy SL for sale for the same reason (he had an E71 previously). Finally, he pared down his usage and used battery extension apps.

And my experience with a particularly nasty specimen (internal SD card unexpectedly removed error) which didn't go away despite multiple flashes doesn't make me too happy about it - though the vast majority of junta using that phone are quite happy.

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th July 2011 at 11:39.
Old 17th July 2011, 12:02   #8151
Senior - BHPian

Well, I dont have much personal experience on Android. But being just a year out of college now, during my last year of college, Android was the rage. And I didnt see anybody rushing to charge their phones every 6 hours or something. Everybody shifting over from Nokia obviously founding having to charge daily a bit tedious, as they were used to going 3-4days without having to charge. Even now all of my juniors still in college use Android without complaint.

I am not saying here that Android will give you superb battery life, but its not something that should be a deal breaker.

Also, I dont think you can put all the blame for battery life on the OS. I just checked out the specs, even with a massive 1540mAh battery the Defy seems to have a standby time of less than 250hours. There is something else going on with the Defy. My N900, which probably has the worst battery life among all phones ( I have run out in less than 6 hours once ), with a 1320mAh has a quoted standby time of 250hours.
Old 17th July 2011, 17:55   #8152
BHPian

Dude. Try out juice defender (Free)

Before this app, I was struggling to make my phone last till the night, having charged it in the morning. After this, I can breeze through 2 days, easy! (Optimus 2X)

What this app does is pure genius. It turns on data every 15 mins, so that any sync events can occur. If it detects data activity, it lets the data flow. As soon as the data flow stops, it turns off edge/3G for 15 minutes again.
Net result - you get almost 'push' like experience, and awesome battery life

Quote:
My defy barely lasts a day with my current usage. and I can assure you that I texted far more and recharged my phone far less during my college days.

and the defy doesnt exactly have the worst battery.

If there's some secret way that you know of stretching android batteries despite heavy usage? let me know. with lesser usage, even the E63 barely lasted a day.

Please enlighten me!
Old 17th July 2011, 22:23   #8153
BHPian

Whats the most basic Nokia one can buy with a 2MP camera? The 2700 Classic is one I could find. Any others?
Old 18th July 2011, 09:53   #8154
Senior - BHPian

@julupani; I am on CDMA which is a battery hog (irrespective of the platform) and also have a GSM. Both and Android - my Incredible 2 (CDMA) gives me 2 days of battery life easily with Green Battery or Juice Defender. The Galaxy 551 (GSM) which is kept with the network off gives 5+ days! Of course BB is the battery champ!
Old 18th July 2011, 17:06   #8155
BANNED

Re: Basic phone for aged person

He went for samsung Guru 1160 which seems to be a good choice for his requirement. Good keys.Better font. sound. FM with built-in antenna. decent screen.

Thanks for responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
My friends parent is looking for basic phone for about 2 -2.5k.
Priority 1 ease of use with good keypad 2 screen readability in day light 3 good volume. 4. Fm.
Looking for 2-3 option so that he could choose at the store .TIA

Unable to use even slightly old suggestion for basic phone in this thread, as that aged person is Looking for the current/latest model that is why i posted here .
Old 24th July 2011, 22:10   #8156
BHPian

I need to buy a phone for my dad. Currently he owns a N78 which he has been using for the past 2 years without any problems. However the phone seems to be behaving strangely these days. Battery life has reduced, some keys are not working properly. I think this phone can go off any moment from now. My dad will mostly use the phone for calling and SMS. Brands preferred - Nokia, Samsung, Motorola. Budget is upto 14-15k. Now my dad does not have much experience with touch screen phones but he is not against it. He hates flap type phones though. The phone has to look good and should have the basic functions covered. Camera of any megapixel is fine. Need suggestions.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:30   #8157
Senior - BHPian

I am confused between Nokia E5 and Samsung Galaxy Pro.

My main requirements (in order of priority) are:
1. Good call clarity, signal strength and good music quality
2. Good battery life
3. GPS navigation (pre loaded maps preferred)
4. Touch screen preferred but not mandatory
5. QWERTY preferred but not mandatory
6. Good build quality
7. Pocketable size (should be able to carry in jeans front pocket)
8. Document viewer and editor preinstalled
9. Other features like decent camera, wifi, bluetooth etc
10. I am open to any OS (Symbian/Android)

Samsung Galaxy Pro seems really VFM. But I am having some serious doubts about this model. The prices have dropped very sharply for this model. Is there some known issue in this model ? Also, I find the shape to be a bit odd, it may not fit in my jeans front pocket.

How usable is the GPS navigation feature in a non-touch screen device like E5 ?

Both phones have same resolution display, but Galaxy Pro's display is larger. Does it help to have a bigger display if the resolution is the same ?

Any other suggestions in this price range ? No Blackberry please.

Rohan
Old 25th July 2011, 10:37   #8158
Senior - BHPian

How about the new Nokia E6??
Old 25th July 2011, 11:26   #8159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
How about the new Nokia E6??
Thanks for the suggestion, but E6 is out of my budget.

I am looking for mobile in 8-12K price range.

Anyone using Nokia E5 or Samsung Galaxy Pro ? Please give a short review.

Rohan
Old 25th July 2011, 12:52   #8160
BHPian

Guys,

Need inputs for a new phone.

Has to be dual sim (gsm+gsm)
good battery life
good contacts memory - current phone is having 700+ contacts
good sms memory (my current phone a Nokia N95) has 1900+ messages
Decent camera (2mp + )
Budget - Max 15K.

i think all phones now are able to connect to FB / G+ etc, so not listing them as a requirement. Else, add this too to the list!

And would also request advise if it would be possible to shift the messages and contacts existing N95 to the new phone.

Have heard that the Samsung Duos 7722 should be able to meet my requirements, however, no concrete feedback available.

Please advise.

Last edited by Bapu : 25th July 2011 at 12:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks