Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 23:03   #8131
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Well, the problem with iPhone is that the Bluetooth cannot be used to pair with Headsets/other phones.

Plus, the ones available in India are from Singapore; and from what I was told, no warranty.

My mum uses HD7 and has offered to give me that but again, Bluetooth on that cannot be used with other phones. Also, the Marketplace ain't available in India so many apps can't be used. Using Zune for every file transfer is like using iTunes for iPod!

Actually, most of my requirements are standard features of most phones! I just don't want symbian Nokia.

Any idea on android Nokia?
Dont expect a Nokia Android. The only non-Symbian Nokia phones are the soon to come N9 and the old N900, both of which dont fit your criteria. Similarly the HTC Sensation is going to be on the heavy side, around 150gms.

I think your best bet is the Samsung Galaxy SII. You may want to take a look at the Xperia Arc and the Samsung Google Nexus S.

Last edited by julupani : 14th July 2011 at 23:06.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:04   #8132
BHPian

Re: Basic phone for aged person

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
My friends parent is looking for basic phone for about 2 -2.5k.
Priority 1 ease of use with good keypad 2 screen readability in day light 3 good volume. 4. Fm.
Looking for 2-3 option so that he could choose at the store .TIA

Unable to use even slightly old suggestion for basic phone in this thread, as that aged person is Looking for the current/latest model that is why i posted here .
Check out the new Nokia X1-01.(GSM, Dual Sim-I use only one tho)
Launched in June 2011 so its a recent model all right.
Cost-Rs 1900; you can get it cheaper on line.
Excellent basic phone, which will more than meet all your friends' parents' requirements.
Its garnered some pretty good reviews- plz google & check out a few.
I picked one up the day before-( Dark Grey color- beautiful) & I'm a senior citizen too, so that should lend some validity to my words!
Old 14th July 2011, 23:18   #8133
BHPian

Guess no one's ever got an issue with HTC phone.
And its just 'unlucky me' ...hence no replies...

And its an 'unlucky day'...
Old 14th July 2011, 23:37   #8134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels View Post

Ma'am, devices go bad/die all the time- there's no element of luck/destiny involced!
If things lasted for ever,many companies' would go bust, so I guess a finite life is designed in.
Delhi is chockful of mobile repair guys, we Indians hate to discard things without a fight.
Just ask around the place where you stay/work.
There's a pretty good guy in Kotla; I'll see if I can locate his phone number.
But, in the meantime, just ask a few people, I'm sure you'll get prompt advice.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:46   #8135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have HTC Google Nexus One that I bought from US one and a half years back.
The phone just died on its own.
When I am connecting the battery to the power, the green charging light turns on, but the phone isn't powering on.
One quickie. Does it ever go to show a full charge? If not then the battery may be to blame.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:39   #8136
BHPian

Quote:

After struggling with HTC Touch Diamond for 2 yrs, i swore off HTC phones. Had to change the motherboard, touch screen (twice)... actually only once bcoz i didnt bother the second time..
Old 16th July 2011, 11:59   #8137
BHPian

I am using Nokia X 3 , Nokia express music 5220, LG GW 300, Moto rokr . And also other couple of basic phones.

I am planning to buy an Andriod OS phone. I was seeing the Galaxy Ace/ Spice 1ghz OS phone/Moto charm/moto Defy. Fully confused and don't know what to do.

Last edited by rki2007 : 16th July 2011 at 12:08.
Old 16th July 2011, 15:46   #8138
Senior - BHPian

@rki2007: Two basic questions - price limit, and what do you want to do? Let me add get a Froyo or Gingerbread unit.
Old 16th July 2011, 22:33   #8139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am using Nokia X 3 , Nokia express music 5220, LG GW 300, Moto rokr . And also other couple of basic phones.

I am planning to buy an Andriod OS phone. I was seeing the Galaxy Ace/ Spice 1ghz OS phone/Moto charm/moto Defy. Fully confused and don't know what to do.

Clearly you have a 15k budget.

First figure out what do you want to do.
The charm is a different type of handset. If you want that, consider the Galaxy pro too - its similar type but much cheaper.

If you're clear on android, come to the android thread, no?

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th July 2011 at 22:34.
Old 17th July 2011, 08:21   #8140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rki2007: Two basic questions - price limit, and what do you want to do? Let me add get a Froyo or Gingerbread unit.

@ Sgiitk sir
I can spend max 15k . And i don't think 2.3 ginger bread comes within that budget.I also happened to see the Samsung galaxy S which is with all the features but the price is some 20 k. Android 2.1 is now an older version may be atleast i have to buy froyo or buy 2.1 and then upgrade if it is possible.

What to do?- I would like be connected all the time and planning to take a 3g access to my sim. No business use i am still a student

Last edited by rki2007 : 17th July 2011 at 08:23.
Old 17th July 2011, 08:32   #8141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Sgiitk sir
I can spend max 15k . And i don't think 2.3 ginger bread comes within that budget.I also happened to see the Samsung galaxy S which is with all the features but the price is some 20 k. Android 2.1 is now an older version may be atleast i have to buy froyo or buy 2.1 and then upgrade if it is possible.

What to do?- I would like be connected all the time and planning to take a 3g access to my sim. No business use i am still a student
You are far better off with a blackberry curve 3G or maybe a N8 actually.

Trust me on this one. Infact, use only this: Online Shopping - Buy Mobile Phones, Cameras, Laptops @ Lowest Price - Letsbuy.com (use the coupons).
Old 17th July 2011, 08:36   #8142
Senior - BHPian

rki; did you check out the Galaxy pro? You can get it for 9600/- ! Awesome buy IMHO. Very thin phone, wide screen, touch,qwerty, nice camera!
Old 17th July 2011, 08:36   #8143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You are far better off with a blackberry curve 3G or maybe a N8 actually.

Trust me on this one. Infact, use only this: Online Shopping - Buy Mobile Phones, Cameras, Laptops @ Lowest Price - Letsbuy.com (use the coupons).
N8 is way beyond my budget sir. I think BB curve may fit. Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow not inclined towards BB.

jkdas:- You almost got me right man. I had somehow finalized on GALAXY PRO. Then when i started seeing many options and finally landed in too many confusions. The online quote in letsbuy is just 8.5 k. It think its worth the pay. It is 2.2 froyo with 800 mhz processor. Had i bought my laptop from letsbuy, i could have saved 2.5k

Last edited by rki2007 : 17th July 2011 at 08:49.
Old 17th July 2011, 08:49   #8144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
N8 is way beyond my budget sir. I think BB curve may fit. Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow these many days i was not inclined towards BB
ah yes, i was mistaken - i didn't know n8 even on letsbuy was that expensive.

the BB is what you need. Yes, you will miss the games but what do you gain? (sgiitk saab will now kill me but I shall bravely proceed)
a. BBM - no cost chatting with friends. Whatsapp is good but not good enough.
b. I'm going to be accused of stereotyping but as a collegian you will be SMSing alot - which needs a qwerty phone. We all did timepass in our times. Doing it on an android = battery drain. Android just cannot take the same kind of heavy usage
c. Long battery life. As a college student you'll be out hanging with friends and filching a charger (and finding a safe place to put it) is a hassle. not to mention, people like me would keep making a joke of you
d. Non-visual usage. Let's face it. there are times you'd be surreptitiously typing away in a lecture or smsing while multitasking. Try doing that on a touch screen.
e. Facebook and Twitter all work fantastic - you can do the likes and quick comments faster on a BB!!

We've all been there and beyond in our times. Student times need a BB. Trust me on this one.

/I send about 5 odd tweets, 5 odd forum posts and 15-20 emails + 1.5-2 hours of talking (mostly over bluetooth) on my phone. The battery always limps back home. so trust me on this one!!
Old 17th July 2011, 08:55   #8145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ah yes, i was mistaken - i didn't know n8 even on letsbuy was that expensive.

the BB is what you need. Yes, you will miss the games but what do you gain? (sgiitk saab will now kill me but I shall bravely proceed)
a. BBM - no cost chatting with friends. Whatsapp is good but not good enough.
b. I'm going to be accused of stereotyping but as a collegian you will be SMSing alot - which needs a qwerty phone. We all did timepass in our times. Doing it on an android = battery drain. Android just cannot take the same kind of heavy usage
c. Long battery life. As a college student you'll be out hanging with friends and filching a charger (and finding a safe place to put it) is a hassle. not to mention, people like me would keep making a joke of you
d. Non-visual usage. Let's face it. there are times you'd be surreptitiously typing away in a lecture or smsing while multitasking. Try doing that on a touch screen.
e. Facebook and Twitter all work fantastic - you can do the likes and quick comments faster on a BB!!

We've all been there and beyond in our times. Student times need a BB. Trust me on this one.

/I send about 5 odd tweets, 5 odd forum posts and 15-20 emails + 1.5-2 hours of talking (mostly over bluetooth) on my phone. The battery always limps back home. so trust me on this one!!
Thanks Sir. I like the way you narrate things. There is humourous writer within you. I will surely check out the BB curve.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks