Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 17:28   #8086
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Need help in finalizing my next phone. Have a budget of around 30-35K INR. Which would be the best choice among iPhone4, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Sensation? Currently using Nokia E71. Mostly, I'm looking for an all-rounder kind of phone.
--Thanks in advance.
Galaxy S2 Hands Down... No match. I am using one and I can vouch for it. Coming from Iphone 4 I would recommend S2 any day. It is a complete all rounder.
anmolbedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 22:00   #8087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Man I can't tell you how much I want to buy a really nice looking, sleek handset (without any features whatsoever), which I can gift to my parents. and considering the number of people who have nodded in affirmative on this, I'm pretty sure there's a really good market for such a phone.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but does such a phone exist, lets say under a 10K budget?

Regarding access of phones with camera, I know of friends who work in an offshore division of a well known law firm of UK, at Gurgaon. They earn a 7 figure salary, but no one can believe that when they look at the phones these guys carry
Below 10K, you don't have many good looking phones, but I personally feel SE offers better looking phones than Nokia in this range. w705, Zylo are non-touch slider mobiles which look pretty good
And I wonder why no manufacturer has come out with a decently equipped phone without camera! But BB had launched some in 2007, and those are the only decently specced phones without camera in them.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 23:15   #8088

I use Galaxy S. But I've 2 numbers. So I am searching for a 2nd phone which will be a basic no-frills phone but sturdy. I asked about Samsung Marine at mobile store but they said its discontinued now. Any similar sturdy phone under 10K which won't be affected by water and falls easily?
Old 26th June 2011, 01:21   #8089
BHPian

I spent a little (very little!) time looking up a few phones online and tried a few in shops.

Nokia E7 ( Nokia demo/promo ) : I found the UI poor, required multiple touches and response was slow. And this was supposed to be a promo event to lure customers !

Nokian N8 : tried to 2 different ones, both worked fine, UI speed was good and responded to first touch. Kind of happy since this is still the phone I think best fit for me.

HTC Desire : UI was good, speed was fine too. Didn't try any apps yet though.

Sony Ericsson Arc and Galaxy S : as above. I didn't pay much attention to screen size/resolution/colors etc , was trying out the UI mainly and aside from the E7, don't see why Symbian is so unpopular. I surmise it's all about the apps.

Well, I have time, so more research to continue.
Old 26th June 2011, 12:26   #8090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meonbhp View Post
I use Galaxy S. But I've 2 numbers. So I am searching for a 2nd phone which will be a basic no-frills phone but sturdy. I asked about Samsung Marine at mobile store but they said its discontinued now. Any similar sturdy phone under 10K which won't be affected by water and falls easily?
Hmm...invest @4K more and get the Defy. Enjoy both phones then
Old 27th June 2011, 11:30   #8091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Have you checked the t&c of the extended warranty? Is it the same as the main warranty? Do you get a replacement if your phone is not repairable or if parts are not available or something?

Now I'm back to looking for a new phone. :(
If I understand correctly, extended warranty is an extension of the original 1 year warrantly. Hence the same terms and conditions hold good.

I have not read the fine print, but the Nokia care executive did mention that if any fault is found in the extended warranty period, it would be serviced free of cost.

In case the phone is not repairable, they should give a replacement (but I'm not 100% sure on this one).

So, what phone are you looking at now ? I checked out the HTC Wildfire S, I was bowled over by the solid build quality and finishing. The display is much better than the previous Wildfire. The UI is also very snappy.

Rohan
Old 27th June 2011, 15:30   #8092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Nokia E7 ( Nokia demo/promo ) : I found the UI poor, required multiple touches and response was slow.
My wife has the E7. Her need was a qwerty keybaord that was bigger than a BB Touch/Bold and a good camera. The N8 has a better camera but no keyboard.

She is extremely happy with the phone and does not report any UI issues.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:44   #8093
BHPian

My wife is using the Nokia 3200 classic for last 3years. Yesterday, I found the back cover slightly off. When trying to fix it, I noticed the battery was bloated! She has been using the stock charger and off late, the battery lasts for barely a day.

Is it safe to use this phone? No other issues with the phone.

Can someone suggest a good replacement? Has to have a long battery life of 2 days atleast, and easy to use for calls/SMS, and a 2MP camera atleast. Wifi would be nice but not a must have.

Also, a solid build, if not baby-proof

I am also looking for a dual sim with the same specs.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:29   #8094
PPS
Senior - BHPian

How is this HTC Wildfire S ?? I assume it runs on Android 2.3. Any idea about its pricing in Mumbai ?
Old 29th June 2011, 09:49   #8095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
My wife is using the Nokia 3200 classic for last 3years. Yesterday, I found the back cover slightly off. When trying to fix it, I noticed the battery was bloated! She has been using the stock charger and off late, the battery lasts for barely a day.

Is it safe to use this phone? No other issues with the phone.
It is not safe to use the phone. The battery has to be replaced, for reasons of safety, and performance.

Quote:
Has to have a long battery life of 2 days atleast, and easy to use for calls/SMS, and a 2MP camera atleast. Wifi would be nice but not a must have.

Also, a solid build, if not baby-proof

I am also looking for a dual sim with the same specs.
How about the C3-01 for the replacement? A friend of mine replaced an aging Nokia 6030 with this phone - requirements were similar to yours, and based on the budget constraints, i suggested this phone. Yeah, and she has a baby, so it's somewhat baby-proof as well

Last edited by silversteed : 29th June 2011 at 09:51.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:59   #8096
BHPian

All SGS II buyers, hope you are aware of the yellow tint issue with it's screen when the brightness is reduced to minimum. Pls refer to the link below for more details and test your phone before buying at the store.

Galaxy S II display reportedly has yellow spots, we test - GSMArena.com news
Old 30th June 2011, 03:07   #8097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If I understand correctly, extended warranty is an extension of the original 1 year warrantly. Hence the same terms and conditions hold good.

I have not read the fine print, but the Nokia care executive did mention that if any fault is found in the extended warranty period, it would be serviced free of cost.

In case the phone is not repairable, they should give a replacement (but I'm not 100% sure on this one).

So, what phone are you looking at now ? I checked out the HTC Wildfire S, I was bowled over by the solid build quality and finishing. The display is much better than the previous Wildfire. The UI is also very snappy.

Rohan
Sorry about the late reply. Just don't get time lately...

You better confirm if they replace if not repairable. Most service centers can repair only upto a level, beyond which they just pronounce it non-repairable.

I cannot decide on any phone... am completely lost there. I'm inclined to buy the Optimus One again, but considering that people are reporting the dust issue even with newer handsets, it seems the issue has not been fixed, so I may just land up with the same issue all over again, that that would be just too much. The Wildfire S seems to have rather poor battery. I can't put up with something with poorer battery than the O1. Also, currently it seems overpriced for what it offers. Its cam is also nothing to write home above. IMHO, no use even bothering to compare with the old Wildfire. Its screen is a total no-no. Cam is important to me, so the Dell XCD35 with its awful cam is out of the question. Had a look at the Samsungs in the range and they aren't really worth talking about. Maybe I'll have to go for a cheap "temporary" phone until something better comes around or prices fall further or go for the the Moto Defy. Any suggestions?
Old 30th June 2011, 09:51   #8098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I cannot decide on any phone... am completely lost there.
Cam is important to me, so the Dell XCD35 with its awful cam is out of the question. Had a look at the Samsungs in the range and they aren't really worth talking about. Any suggestions?
I am also in a similar situation, I have been using my current phone for the last 3 years. I am itching to replace it, but not finding any phone that suits my requirements and budget.

Requirements are very simple - good battery backup, good call clarity, good music quality, good screen, video calling and GPS. Budget is 10-15k.

Currently Wildfire S, Galaxy Ace and Nokia C6-01 and C7 are on my radar. But all seem to have some compromise or limitations.

Rohan
Old 30th June 2011, 13:35   #8099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am also in a similar situation, I have been using my current phone for the last 3 years. I am itching to replace it, but not finding any phone that suits my requirements and budget.

Requirements are very simple - good battery backup, good call clarity, good music quality, good screen, video calling and GPS. Budget is 10-15k.

Currently Wildfire S, Galaxy Ace and Nokia C6-01 and C7 are on my radar. But all seem to have some compromise or limitations.

Rohan
If you can look beyond Bada OS, Samsung Wave II is a good option IMO. Its a sweet little phone for not so fussy users. i think its abt 14.5k
Old 30th June 2011, 15:05   #8100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
No no, as I would be a trainee for about a year, I cannot use it, whereas employees can.
Gulp! I was hoping for a phone with decent features such as web browsing, as that would help me have t-bhp access almost always
I have seen many of my call center friends use Blackberry 8830 which has no camera but has all basic features in it. Its one sale at indiatimes for 4k. See if it fits your need

http://shopping.indiatimes.com/Mobil...71/pid/4521647

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks