Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 14:30   #8071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nokia 5230 - Bad quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My sincere advice to all who are about to purchase a Nokia handset, or have purchased one in the last 1 year - please opt for the 12 months extended warranty before the initial warranty expires. The extended warranty is really worth the extra money.
Not in case of Nokia. Its a volume player. So, you get get is repaired to for cheap from any mobile repair shop that has setups for coponent level fixes.

Thats why its easier/cheaper to get it fixed than buying warranty.

After warranty gets over, you can buy any OEM part over-the-counter from most mobile shops. E.g. Samsung original LCD + touch module costs just 1100.

Same for motherboard / baseband module etc.

Its like Maruti, availability of spares (outside A.S.S.) is not a problem and it much cheaper than A.S.S.

In Mumbai, i visited Malad station area to get speaker of N82 replaced. Speaker was replaced with Original OEM speaker in 15 mins. There are 10 shops doing such things in Malad station area itself. And they have tools to replace SMDs etc.

And cost was just 250 Rs (Inclusive of spares). With Nokia A.S.S. you will have to wait fora a day (at least) for such work.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:47   #8072
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Nokia N9 is here. Release is supposed to be Q3

http://swipe.nokia.com/

Nokia N9 Official Photos

http://188.65.36.211/?p=31993

Gorgeous looking mobile. I love Nokia for their designs.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 21st June 2011 at 18:05.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:16   #8073
Senior - BHPian

Superb hardware (in N9).. and UI looks usable too.

If it implements a port of Dalvik (to Enable Android apps), it does have a chance in market.

Otherwise, its too little too late.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:23   #8074
BHPian

^ I saw the official release photos too this morning on GSM Arena. The phone sure is a looker. And it has pretty good specs as well. Let's see when this one comes out in the open.
Old 21st June 2011, 19:11   #8075
Senior - BHPian

Yaa, remarkable things are:

1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX530 GPU, TI OMAP 3630 chipset and
1 GB RAM

Though world has moved on to dual core CPUs on smartphones, good to see Nokia at least waking up to Cortex A8.
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:58   #8076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yaa, remarkable things are:

1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX530 GPU, TI OMAP 3630 chipset and
1 GB RAM

Though world has moved on to dual core CPUs on smartphones, good to see Nokia at least waking up to Cortex A8.
My heart sinks on hearing this , Why on earth Nokia could not push TI to stabilize and deliver OMAP 4 earlier specially when Nokia was most important TI customer at some point.

I am afraid by the time this will be in market all the Cortax A9 dual cores with GPUs will flood top end of market and same old story will be repeated that Nokia Linux will still compete somewhat based on software efficiency where as others will simply use power of hardware.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:39   #8077
Senior - BHPian

Hello everybody I'm a new comer to this thread. I would like to buy a new mobile phone without camera as my office does not allow it due to security reasons. But I found almost all new mobiles to come with camera, at least 1.3 MP camera! The only decent phones are available in Blackberry but I am reluctant to buy them as they were released way back in 2007! And I currently use a Sony Ericsson w705 which I love and don't want to sell off. So please suggest me a good mobile without camera with a maximum budget of around 6k. Waiting for your replies and suggestions guys
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:48   #8078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Hello everybody I'm a new comer to this thread. I would like to buy a new mobile phone without camera as my office does not allow it due to security reasons. But I found almost all new mobiles to come with camera, at least 1.3 MP camera! The only decent phones are available in Blackberry but I am reluctant to buy them as they were released way back in 2007! And I currently use a Sony Ericsson w705 which I love and don't want to sell off. So please suggest me a good mobile without camera with a maximum budget of around 6k. Waiting for your replies and suggestions guys
Your company actually expects you to buy a phone without a camera??? Everybody uses a phone without one??

Almost every company officially prohibits camera phones, but due to the exact reason that you have stated i have never seen such a policy enforced. The only way to enforce this policy is to ban cell-phones all together inside the office.

But the kind of phone you are looking for, your options are very limited. I think the only phone without camera are the bare bones ones that you find below 2thousand bucks.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:55   #8079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Your company actually expects you to buy a phone without a camera??? Everybody uses a phone without one??

Almost every company officially prohibits camera phones, but due to the exact reason that you have stated i have never seen such a policy enforced. The only way to enforce this policy is to ban cell-phones all together inside the office.

But the kind of phone you are looking for, your options are very limited. I think the only phone without camera are the bare bones ones that you find below 2thousand bucks.
No no, as I would be a trainee for about a year, I cannot use it, whereas employees can.
Gulp! I was hoping for a phone with decent features such as web browsing, as that would help me have t-bhp access almost always
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:27   #8080
Team-BHP Support

Guys my Nokia E52 died. I dont know what happened. It kept saying "not enough memory" or something like that and would not start. I gave it to a Nokia service center 2 days ago but they called to say they cant fix it.

I need a reliable phone.
- micro USB charger (like my BB Torch)
- under 10mm (slim enough to fit in my jeans front pocket)
- regular tactile keypad (no iphone4 like touchscreen-only interface)
- slide or bar
- Big screen for old eyes. 2.5"+ but the bigger the better.
- my use is only VOICE and SMS. No camera, no BB/MMS, No Email, nothing fancy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by navin : 23rd June 2011 at 10:30.
Old 24th June 2011, 02:17   #8081
BHPian

Nokia SeaRay Windows Phone

Nokia's first Windows Phone: images and video, codenamed 'Sea Ray' -- Engadget

Looks good, the wait starts..
Old 24th June 2011, 10:59   #8082
Team-BHP Support

Replaced E52 with new E52. No other phone fit the bill. The X3-02 does not have Micro USB.
Old 24th June 2011, 16:23   #8083
BHPian

Need help in finalizing my next phone. Have a budget of around 30-35K INR. Which would be the best choice among iPhone4, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Sensation? Currently using Nokia E71. Mostly, I'm looking for an all-rounder kind of phone.
--Thanks in advance.
Old 24th June 2011, 16:37   #8084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
No no, as I would be a trainee for about a year, I cannot use it, whereas employees can.
Gulp! I was hoping for a phone with decent features such as web browsing, as that would help me have t-bhp access almost always
Man I can't tell you how much I want to buy a really nice looking, sleek handset (without any features whatsoever), which I can gift to my parents. and considering the number of people who have nodded in affirmative on this, I'm pretty sure there's a really good market for such a phone.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but does such a phone exist, lets say under a 10K budget?

Regarding access of phones with camera, I know of friends who work in an offshore division of a well known law firm of UK, at Gurgaon. They earn a 7 figure salary, but no one can believe that when they look at the phones these guys carry
Old 24th June 2011, 16:47   #8085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Update: I had given my faulty Nokia 5230 to Nokia Care Centre for repair. The handset conked off after just 11 months of purchase, even though it was handled very well.

I went to collect the handset. Nokia Care executive told me that my phone is irrepairable and provided me with a brand new replacement free of cost. But there was no additional warranty coverage for this brand new handset (apart from the initial 12 month warranty, out of which 11 months are already over). So to be on the safer side, I opted for 12 month extended warranty.

Now I am also convinced that it was from a defective batch. I really dread to think what might have happened if the phone had conked off after the expiry of warranty period. Would they have asked me to changed the whole mother board (since the phone has been declared irrepairable by Nokia Care) ?

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad at these turn of events. I'm happy that I got a brand new phone in return for my 11 month old faulty phone. But I'm sad because I purchased a phone from a company who can't make their phones last for even 1 year and whose care centres can't repair simple problems in their handsets.

My sincere advice to all who are about to purchase a Nokia handset, or have purchased one in the last 1 year - please opt for the 12 months extended warranty before the initial warranty expires. The extended warranty is really worth the extra money.

Rohan
Have you checked the t&c of the extended warranty? Is it the same as the main warranty? Do you get a replacement if your phone is not repairable or if parts are not available or something?

Though, depending on the cost of the phone, I'd agree with what Netfreak says. Another v imp. factor to consider is that if you go elsewhere for repairs, you could get it done right under your nose. Nokia ASC won't do that... and in fact they will insist on keeping your phone for days for the smallest issue.

That said, LG just refunded the entire invoice value of my Optimus One after about 5 months of use. As I'v already mentioned earlier, the O1 has a serious dust issue, which was made much worse by their ASC. Finally, in a nutshell it conked out and I said enough is enough and asked for a replacement which was agreed to. However, though handsets of the new series (which are supposedly not to have the dust problem) are not yet available in the market, he himself offered me a refund if I had issues with waiting. I obviously opted for the refund.

In that sense very happy with LG and their Service/Area Manager, but very annoyed by the issues caused and the time wasted by this really stupid dust problem. Compare this with my Nokia experience where they were absolutely adamant about not even replacing the handset though it was defective out of the box and insisted on repeated repairs only, causing so much inconvenience and waste of time.

Would not recommend this phone unless there are positive reports that the dust issue has been addressed.

Now I'm back to looking for a new phone. :(

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th June 2011 at 16:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks