Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 13:46   #8056
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
yes, internet usage will be limited. but after using keypads all these years, touchscreen will be fun to use. so touchscreen phone which satisfy my other conditions would do.
The phones I told about are actually full qwerty phones, not traditional keypad ones. So even that will be a different experience.

If you want touch, I think you should extend your budget by around 2thousand bucks. This will get you some good ones like the Samsung Galaxy 3, Nokia C6(touch+qwerty), and even the HTC Wildfire. If you want to stick to your budget there are the Nokia C5-03 and the Samsung Galaxy i5500.
Old 13th June 2011, 10:45   #8057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...main use is for calling and seeing messages. internet browsing through laptop only. now i want to upgrade. as now on travelling will be more so i got the reason to try new mobile/smart phones. my requirements
1) usage- mainly calling and receivng. sms and few emails. no need of camera-music games etc. my 6303i works for two days on single recharge. so battery backup should be atleast for 2 days.

2) should be easy to use. no recurring problem of OS as read somewhere.

3) budget - around rs 10000.

4) should not be too delicate. should be solidly built and ready for rough use.

5) preferable brands- nokia, samsung. how are LG and HTC?
I would suggest the Nokia 5230/5235/5800 - select yours. 5800 is the complete package - 3G enabled, WiFi, GPS. The other two are stripped down versions, in terms of camera, 3G, Wi-Fi. Battery backup is exemplary. The latest firmware of 5800 is rock solid. Build quality is really good. It costs ~Rs.9700, so, fits into your budget. Since you are ok with touch screen, this would fit the bill perfectly.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:56   #8058
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I would suggest the Nokia 5230/5235/5800 -
yes, nokia 5800 is a good phone. some of my frieds/relatives have it. but isnt it a little bit old? i am considering these two also- LG optimus one(p500) and SAMSUNG galaxy fit. what about these? please suggest.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:01   #8059
BHPian

Quote:
yes, nokia 5800 is a good phone. some of my frieds/relatives have it. but isnt it a little bit old? i am considering these two also- LG optimus one(p500) and SAMSUNG galaxy fit. what about these? please suggest.
I vouch for LG P500. It is a good phone and now it is available at around 8K. Much better option than 5800.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:35   #8060
Senior - BHPian

If you are open to buying an LG, on spec the Optimus one is a very good phone indeed at its price point. It has skimped on somethings, like a 3MP camera, a 256K colour screen and is slightly on the heavier side too.
Old 14th June 2011, 01:18   #8061
Senior - BHPian

Guys before considering Optimus One P500, don't forget to consider the dust getting under the screen issue. It is not a insignificant issue. Been thru it and would definitely *not* recommend it unless there are confirmed reports that it has been addressed. Read about it online (xda forums, thinkdigit, etc) before buying. Save the dust and pathetic headphones, it is probably the best option at its price. LG has really screwed up a good phone with a really stupid problem.

Nokia 5800 is not at all a good choice today. Besides other things, its cam is pathetic.

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th June 2011 at 01:20.
Old 14th June 2011, 09:36   #8062
Senior - BHPian

@vsh: Samsung phones do not have as good a battery backup as Nokia phones in the same bracket. If battery backup is not an issue, then you can take a look at Samsung phones. P500, like Raccoon said, has problems of dust getting under the screen, severely impairing visibility in bright conditions.

5800 is a bit old, true. But I haven't found anything that gives me peace of mind like that phone. The camera sucks big time, but the rest of the features, especially the battery backup, which is an important factor in your list of requirements, is really great.

Samsung Galaxy Fit looks better than Nokia 5800 or the P500 in terms of features, but since it runs Android, be prepared to charge the phone every day or else the battery would die out. Moreover, I have my doubts on the ruggedness of the phone.
Old 14th June 2011, 09:45   #8063
BHPian

There is a problem that im facing with my blackberry bold2, sometimes im not able to zoom in when im taking a picture. sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesnt! anybody has an idea about this?
Old 14th June 2011, 10:12   #8064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Guys before considering Optimus One P500, don't forget to consider the dust getting under the screen issue. It is not a insignificant issue. Been thru it and would definitely *not* recommend it unless there are confirmed reports that it has been addressed. Read about it online (xda forums, thinkdigit, etc) before buying. Save the dust and pathetic headphones, it is probably the best option at its price. LG has really screwed up a good phone with a really stupid problem.

Nokia 5800 is not at all a good choice today. Besides other things, its cam is pathetic.
Hi Raccoon!

I have been using a P500 for about an 8 months now. I had no issue with my phone. I came to know about the existance of such an issue only after reading your post.

Regards,
Mohan.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:56   #8065
BHPian

Quote:
I for one, using P500 for almost 4 months now, and i have not faced the dust under the screen issue. And, i do not use any protective shield for the phone.

Last edited by JMaruru : 14th June 2011 at 10:57.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:32   #8066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Hi Raccoon!

I have been using a P500 for about an 8 months now. I had no issue with my phone. I came to know about the existance of such an issue only after reading your post.

Regards,
Mohan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I for one, using P500 for almost 4 months now, and i have not faced the dust under the screen issue. And, i do not use any protective shield for the phone.
Even I thought I did not have the issue. But if the amount of dust is low, you need to check properly under sunlight with the scree brightness turned up (if low). It builds up over time, depending on your environment.

Some reports say he dust finds its way in thru the USB port. Some (including the LG ASC) said it gets in from the front buttons. It probably gets in from elsewhere too. So screen protector will not help. Even lint from your clothes/ pouches can its way in.

After checking in sunlight, could you please post your manufacturing dates and S/N (serial numbers, as printed on box) here? They are relevant as LG says certain series are affected.

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th June 2011 at 17:34.
Old 17th June 2011, 17:59   #8067
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I vouch for LG P500. It is a good phone and now it is available at around 8K. Much better option than 5800.
it seems lg p500 is a good bet. please inform where can one get it for the price of 8k.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:23   #8068
BHPian

Quote:
it seems lg p500 is a good bet. please inform where can one get it for the price of 8k.
The online shops are providing one, the best of the deals and you can try letsbuy with the discount coupons for the same.
Old 18th June 2011, 16:47   #8069
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
There is a problem that im facing with my blackberry bold2, sometimes im not able to zoom in when im taking a picture. sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesnt! anybody has an idea about this?
I too faced similar issue for my BlackBerry Curve 8520. I have searched couple of forums and found a temp. solution to the bug. Switch off the Cell and remove the battery for 30 Sec then put back the battery and start the cell.

Now you will be able to zoom.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:56   #8070
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nokia 5230 - Bad quality

Quote:
If both were manufactured around the same date, then I'd think it more than likely that it is an issue of poor quality components used during that period at least. And its pretty obvious that Nokia quality is now not what it was known for.
Update: I had given my faulty Nokia 5230 to Nokia Care Centre for repair. The handset conked off after just 11 months of purchase, even though it was handled very well.

I went to collect the handset. Nokia Care executive told me that my phone is irrepairable and provided me with a brand new replacement free of cost. But there was no additional warranty coverage for this brand new handset (apart from the initial 12 month warranty, out of which 11 months are already over). So to be on the safer side, I opted for 12 month extended warranty.

Now I am also convinced that it was from a defective batch. I really dread to think what might have happened if the phone had conked off after the expiry of warranty period. Would they have asked me to changed the whole mother board (since the phone has been declared irrepairable by Nokia Care) ?

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad at these turn of events. I'm happy that I got a brand new phone in return for my 11 month old faulty phone. But I'm sad because I purchased a phone from a company who can't make their phones last for even 1 year and whose care centres can't repair simple problems in their handsets.

My sincere advice to all who are about to purchase a Nokia handset, or have purchased one in the last 1 year - please opt for the 12 months extended warranty before the initial warranty expires. The extended warranty is really worth the extra money.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks