Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 11:16   #7996
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

This is some claim - Pyramid Points - Why Windows Phone Will Beat Android

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-mobile_os_marketshare.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 10th May 2011 at 11:17.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:18   #7997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If on the Y-axis had there been growth I would have believed it because Windows 7 might grow a lot with Nokia. But market leader in 2013 above Apple and Android seems unlikely.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:22   #7998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
If on the Y-axis had there been growth I would have believed it because Windows 7 might grow a lot with Nokia. But market leader in 2013 above Apple and Android seems unlikely.
WP 7 a market leader by 2013 – quite unlikely. Gaining ground over Android is quite a possibility though.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:45   #7999
BHPian

Need suggestions on which phone to buy for my wife.

She has always and will ONLY settle for the following
1. FLIP Phone and
2. Pink/Purple in color

Now, she owns the LG KF350 (Ice Cream Phone). I want to gift her a new Pink, Flip Phone and have not come across many options. Saw the BlackBerry Style and loved it instantly, but the 'CDMA only' feature killed it. Is is available in GSM?

Finally have selected 2 models: LG GD580 and LG GD310. Please help me decide which one to buy for her.

Usage: Purely phone calls and SMS. Camera usage is fair and no internet. Apart from that, battery life should be at par or better than her LG KF350.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:15   #8000
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ankit,

My wife had similar needs. So I got her Nokia 3710 Fold of the below color. It is really a very cute and compact phone.

It even has 3G, my wife now checks Facebook on that too.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 23:25   #8001
BHPian

Any N8 users here ? I read online, there were many cases of the phone shutting down and rebooting often, and some severe cases of shutting down and not rebooting thereafter. Has this been fixed or is the N8 still a do-not-buy phone ?
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 03:13   #8002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Any N8 users here ? I read online, there were many cases of the phone shutting down and rebooting often, and some severe cases of shutting down and not rebooting thereafter. Has this been fixed or is the N8 still a do-not-buy phone ?
Am using a N8 for the past 6 months now, bought it while i was in usa and it has been performing flawlessly. That rebooting and not starting issue was in initial batches and Nokia quickly admitted to the problems.

Though i have cracked my outer gorilla glass when my phone slipped from a 5 ft height on to the tarmac, the touch screen is working fine after that hairline crack.

Overall am happy with the build and camera but still the UI is miles behind android or IOS, when you are spending 21-22k, i suggest look at other options. The lags are there and sometimes you will feel irritated, the camera is stunning no doubt
Old 12th May 2011, 13:38   #8003
Senior - BHPian

I have been using N8 for 6 months now. I have had 3 reboots so far, 1 in the middle of a call - so it is a pretty random behavior.

The UI has deteriorated over models - N82 (which was what I had before) had pretty much standard Nokia UI behavior. N8 has more peculiarities (bad and good ones) comparatively:
* To redial, one needs at least 3-4 touches. In N82 it was 2 presses (green call button->Dialled numbers)
* The Lock Phone slider switch at the side is a boon. While calling, the phone seems to like the touch of my cheek, and goes haring off to do something else (whatever the touch triggered), dumping the call. Solution: as soon as the call goes through, I lock the phone
* The camera app can be fired up just by pressing the shutter button. In the N82 it came up via the lens cover
* No convenient way of adjusting the alert/ring tone on the fly. Intuitively one expects this via the volume control buttons, but I am not sure that happens

I don't compare UI with another phone (how can I when the pricing is generally half that of iPhone), but I find the N8 not too bad a buy. Of course, I will never buy a Nokia with WiMo.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:48   #8004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* To redial, one needs at least 3-4 touches. In N82 it was 2 presses (green call button->Dialled numbers)
Guess it's got to do with the just one hardware key setup instead of the separate Call and End keys.

Quote:
* The Lock Phone slider switch at the side is a boon. While calling, the phone seems to like the touch of my cheek, and goes haring off to do something else (whatever the touch triggered), dumping the call. Solution: as soon as the call goes through, I lock the phone
Doesn't the N8 have a proximity sensor just like the 5800XM? I thought it did.

Quote:
* No convenient way of adjusting the alert/ring tone on the fly. Intuitively one expects this via the volume control buttons, but I am not sure that happens
Of course you can't do that with a Nokia - none of their phones had this feature. However, Motorola, Sony Ericsson et al had it standard, except their Symbian devices - I assume it's due to the OS rather than the phone.

Quote:
I will never buy a Nokia with WiMo.
+1. My next phone is not going to be a Nokia if they go the WP way.
PS: It's now Windoze Phone, and not Windoze Mobile anymore.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:12   #8005
BHPian

Thanks Coolboy, Der Alter & Silversteed . For now, I too want to avoid any WP based phone, and the I-phone to me is too expensive, plus has some curious limitations, such as lower res camera and lack BT and memory card.

I haven't really kept up with cell phone tech, been a happy camper with my 5 year old 6630, which still works well so there's no urgency to replace it, but I do miss having a good camera handy. Interest in the N8 is because I liked the form and build, the camera and it's feature packed for music and lifetime Ovi maps. From personal experience and that of family, Nokia phones are built better and work more consistently , so the last 1 year of constant complaints of one bad phone after another from Nokia had me puzzled.

I haven't looked into the apps phenomenon for which Android is so popular; all I seek is a sturdy, reliable phone with good battery life, touch screen, good multimedia capability, camera , SNS capability - basically a decent all in one device. I read the browser isn't so good and Ovi apps are nowhere as good as those for Android.

Any Android phone recommendations, any particular brands/models to avoid, such as Dell ? Galaxy Ace looks good enough for me, most others that I did like somewhat turn out expensive ( 25k+ ).
Old 13th May 2011, 07:00   #8006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For now, I too want to avoid any WP based phone, and the I-phone to me is too expensive, plus has some curious limitations, such as lower res camera and lack BT and memory card.
I recently switched over to a Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD7), and quite happy with the UI and features. Infact I moved from Android to WP7.
Regarding iPhone, I never felt that lack of memory card is a limitation, and the camera in iPhone 4 is quite awesome.

Quote:
Any Android phone recommendations, any particular brands/models to avoid, such as Dell ? Galaxy Ace looks good enough for me, most others that I did like somewhat turn out expensive ( 25k+ ).
I here that Androids from Samsung and HTC are pretty good, but don’t have any personal experience with those.

Now what to avoid – I can answer this. Stay away from Motorola Milestone XT / Droid. Great looking, and feels sturdy – that’s about it. The phone has its own mind. It restarts as and when it feels, sometimes make the call one sided, and above all, extremely poor battery life. I thought this is an issue with the piece I bought, but have seen similar reviews online as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 08:30   #8007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Now what to avoid – I can answer this. Stay away from Motorola Milestone XT / Droid. Great looking, and feels sturdy – that’s about it. The phone has its own mind. It restarts as and when it feels, sometimes make the call one sided, and above all, extremely poor battery life. I thought this is an issue with the piece I bought, but have seen similar reviews online as well.
My 2 cents:
Now I have used my friend's Motorola Milestone and have a different story to tell. I did not encounter any software issues nor did he tell me of any problems. I think all Samsung, HTC and Motorola's are equal in quality. Yes some people might have had bad experiences with some of the above brands but that is just because they got a bad piece or the software had a bug. This happens with Nokia too. I have not seen a single phone manufacturer which has not seen these problems. It is just about luck whether your phone runs without any problems or not.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:59   #8008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Symbian is towards its end of life. If you are looking for a handset in 20K range, I would suggest that you consider Android based phones.

Check out the latest Android phones from Sony Ericsson - Arc and Neo. They are awesome.

Rohan
Old 13th May 2011, 10:42   #8009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't really kept up with cell phone tech, been a happy camper with my 5 year old 6630, which still works well so there's no urgency to replace it, but I do miss having a good camera handy. Interest in the N8 is because I liked the form and build, the camera and it's feature packed for music and lifetime Ovi maps. From personal experience and that of family, Nokia phones are built better and work more consistently , so the last 1 year of constant complaints of one bad phone after another from Nokia had me puzzled.
6630 is one awesome phone. Do not give it away, even if you change to a new phone, you can keep it as a backup. The recent phones do not have the sturdy built of those oldies.

Quote:
...all I seek is a sturdy, reliable phone with good battery life, touch screen, good multimedia capability, camera , SNS capability - basically a decent all in one device. I read the browser isn't so good and Ovi apps are nowhere as good as those for Android.
You get everything in Android except the features in bold. Battery life as such is poor, compared to non-Android phones, especially Nokia phones. You will have to tweak the phone in ways that will void the warranty on it. Be it an Android phone or N8, you can always go for a third party browser instead of the default one if you are not satisfied. I do feel that the default browser loaded in N8 and other S60 devices lacks many features provided by others. Ovi apps is nowhere near to the myriad choices available in the Android market.

If you are looking for good battery life (as in 2+ days of backup for moderate-heavy usage), Android can be given a miss.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 10:57   #8010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
My 2 cents:
Now I have used my friend's Motorola Milestone and have a different story to tell. I did not encounter any software issues nor did he tell me of any problems. I think all Samsung, HTC and Motorola's are equal in quality. Yes some people might have had bad experiences with some of the above brands but that is just because they got a bad piece or the software had a bug. This happens with Nokia too. I have not seen a single phone manufacturer which has not seen these problems. It is just about luck whether your phone runs without any problems or not.
Partially agree with you. It’s possible that I got a defective piece. Even my colleague have a Moto Milestone, and he was raving about the phone. That was the reason for me to go for the next model – which was Milestone XT (without a pull-down physical keyboard).

Even if I settle for the the logic of me getting a bad piece, these are some of the points I noted:
  1. Excellent body shell and packaging
  2. Good call quality
  3. Bad battery. If you use the browser / 3G, prepare to charge atleast twice a day
  4. Limited internal memory, and applications are installed only on internal memory. Which means that you will run out of application space very fast. No option to save/install apps on the micro SD
  5. Motorola are more rigid than Samsung / HTC when it comes to OS upgrades. For e.g; in the Milestone XT, they don’t offer upgrade from Android 2.1
This is my second Motorola, and is the only brand other than Nokia and Apple, which I gave a second chance. I had a v3i many years back, and that was a fantastic piece.

On a separate note, these are my thoughts on some of the major phone brands:
  • Nokia: Safe choice, especially for the basic feature of the phone – to talk. Can restart at times, but it’s quite trouble-free to live with – something like Microsoft!
  • Apple: Excellent tool, and very impressed with the overall package (starting from 3Gs). Why I don’t use it – Felt I need a break from Apple, and every 2nd person I know have an iPhone.
  • Samsung: Even though I did not find any major flaws, this brand somehow did not inspire me. Maybe it’s not my type.
  • Motorola: Inconsistent, and even though v3 / v3i was good, I guess they lost the plot in the past few years. At times, it’s different just for the sake of being different. Excellent voice quality though.
  • Sony Ericsson: Used only once and never tried again. No specific reason, just that I did not like it.
  • HTC: First time into HTC - HD7 Windows 7. Company did a 1-1 replacement within 7 days of purchase because the camera flash was not firing. Quite happy with the overall package, but will pass a verdict after a few months of usage. The UI is quite good, and pretty cool apps as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks