Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 15:46   #7936
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Yes they do. You get microSD cards in class 2, 4, 6, 10. Class number is approximate write speed of the card. I couldn't find a single class 10 card in Bangalore anywhere. Finally I bought a 8gb class 6 card for 1200/- from Ahmedabad.
Will there be a considerable price difference between the different classes of microSD cards (of the same capacity, say 8 GB) ?

And is this price difference justifiable ? Meaning - does a higher class microSD card give noticeably better performance in a mobile phone ?

You mentioned that write speed is different for different classes of cards. What about the read speed ? I feel read speed is more important in cards as the read speed would determine the performance of the card in a mobile (for accessing maps, images, mp3, videos etc).

Most importantly, why doesn't the phone manufacturer specify which class of microSD card is supported for a particular model ?

It doesn't make sense to buy a higher class memory card if your phone doesn't have the necessary hardware to make use of the higher speed memory card.

Rohan
Old 6th April 2011, 16:49   #7937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Will there be a considerable price difference between the different classes of microSD cards (of the same capacity, say 8 GB) ?
There should be. I'm not sure about current prices. I had bought the card 6 months back.

Quote:
And is this price difference justifiable ? Meaning - does a higher class microSD card give noticeably better performance in a mobile phone ?

You mentioned that write speed is different for different classes of cards. What about the read speed ? I feel read speed is more important in cards as the read speed would determine the performance of the card in a mobile (for accessing maps, images, mp3, videos etc).
Depends on the usage. Reading speeds are anyway very high for all such cards (more than 10 mbps IIRC). Good read speeds will affect the speed of browsing files, opening files etc as it affects the speed at which phone can load a file into memory.

Writing speed matters for recording videos. If your phone can record HD videos, the card should be able to take all of it from the buffer at good speeds. My Wave can easily go 4+ mbps recording videos at full resolution.

Quote:
Most importantly, why doesn't the phone manufacturer specify which class of microSD card is supported for a particular model ?
Because all phones support all cards. It's just that the phone will seem slow with a slow card.

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to buy a higher class memory card if your phone doesn't have the necessary hardware to make use of the higher speed memory card.

Rohan
Right.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:29   #7938
Team-BHP Support

Weird thing been happening with my phone of late.

I have a Motorola Razr2 V8. Since yesterday, whenever I keep the phone on the desk in my cubicle, the outside display starts flickering.

I have been doing so since a year but it is only since yesterday that this is happening.

I know there must be a huge electromagnetic interference since there are 2 desktops nearby and many others in the vicinity but what must've happened that the display has started flickering suddenly.

It gets back to normal in 15-20min if I take the phone away.

Any clues?
Old 7th April 2011, 09:54   #7939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Depends on the usage. Reading speeds are anyway very high for all such cards (more than 10 mbps IIRC). Good read speeds will affect the speed of browsing files, opening files etc as it affects the speed at which phone can load a file into memory.

Writing speed matters for recording videos. If your phone can record HD videos, the card should be able to take all of it from the buffer at good speeds. My Wave can easily go 4+ mbps recording videos at full resolution.
Thanks a lot, that clears my doubts.

I'm not so concerned about write speed of the microSD card because my 5230 has a basic video recorder (which I never use).

Also, while copying music/videos from a PC to the memory card (where the write speed comes into the picture), I don't mind if it takes a bit more time.

I am most concerned about the performance of the card in terms of access times for accessing images/maps/music/videos by the mobile phone from the memory card. As you mentioned, this is governed by read speed, which is not much different in different class of cards.

One last question - IIRC you also have a 5230. What size memory card are you using in it ? Should I go ahead and buy a 16 GB card ? I hope the performance of the phone is not affected by such a high capacity card.

Rohan
Old 7th April 2011, 10:56   #7940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One last question - IIRC you also have a 5230. What size memory card are you using in it ? Should I go ahead and buy a 16 GB card ? I hope the performance of the phone is not affected by such a high capacity card.

Rohan
I'm using the default 2gb card that came with the phone. I don't think there should be an issue with larger capacity card itself (how phone handles a large card completely filled is a different issue).
Old 7th April 2011, 15:44   #7941
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone used a Vodafone (prepaid/postpaid) for internet usage? As in, use the phone as a modem?

How's the speed like?
Old 7th April 2011, 17:15   #7942
BHPian

A query regarding my Nokia 5800.

I was typing an SMS last night and just when I hit the send button, a new SMS arrived. The phone seemed to have hung for a second and resumed duty as normal. However, when I went in to read the new SMS that arrived, it would not open. On touching the sms, the vibrator is felt, the color changes, but it does not open. I then tried older messages. Same thing, none of the messages in any folder(Inbox, Sent, Saved, etc.) open any more.

The storage is set to memory card. E:

I then changed the memory storage to Phone memory C:. The messages open which are in Phone memory. All new messages that arrive, Open. When I change back to E:, messages stop opening.

I can open messages in the computer via PC Suite. No other change has been noticed.

I even tried a soft reset, it did not resolve the issue. I took a backup and restored it. No Change.

Is there something that I can do myself? Taking it to Nokia support is the last thing I want to do. Any thoughts?

MaSh
Old 7th April 2011, 17:19   #7943

If you are talking about speed of GPRS in mobile then I must say I have have used two Vodafone and Idea and both are good on mobile but not on PC. As the speed was max. 11 kb/s and on average 3-4 kb/s. This is about 2G. Don't know about 3G.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:27   #7944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeta View Post
If you are talking about speed of GPRS in mobile then I must say I have have used two Vodafone and Idea and both are good on mobile but not on PC. As the speed was max. 11 kb/s and on average 3-4 kb/s. This is about 2G. Don't know about 3G.
Thank you!

Yes, in fact I was talking about internet via GPRS.

I have a Razr2 V8 so 3G is out of question!
Old 7th April 2011, 17:36   #7945
Senior - BHPian

Using Google Maps with Blackberry GPS

I have a Blackberry Torch and have been struggling to use the in-device GPS with Google Maps.

Any expert advice?
Old 8th April 2011, 01:19   #7946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Can anybody recommend a good CDMA handset to be used with Reliance connection?
If you are looking for a simple CDMA handset with long battery life then i would recommend you samsung guru B559.

It has got 1300 mAh battery which is a boost, Under normal use its battery can withstand 2 days easily.

It has got wireless FM too and it will coast you around 2k.

PS: I am using this handset.
Old 8th April 2011, 02:31   #7947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Has anyone used a Vodafone (prepaid/postpaid) for internet usage? As in, use the phone as a modem?

How's the speed like?
I was using Vodafone Mobile Connect earlier. I don't remember the speeds. Speeds were comparable to old dial up connections. It was just about manageable for some emergency use.
Old 9th April 2011, 14:48   #7948
BANNED

Nokia E-72 ***Horrible OS***Pl Help.

I have been given a Nokia E-72 by my office for office use and ever since I got it, it has been a nightmare. The OS is horrible to say the least. It hangs at all levels and functions completely unpredictably.

I see an incoming call, I press the accept button and yet the screen shows it as incoming. I can talk to the person as well.

I try a conference call. I try to add a new number. The phone hangs.

I try to read an sms. It hangs.

I try to reply to an sms. It hangs.

I restart it atleast 3 times a day due to these issues and yet it keeps doing it. I have no movies, games, songs etc and hardly go online as well.

Help eagerly looked forward to, from all quarters.
Old 9th April 2011, 16:20   #7949
BHPian

Re: Nokia E-72 ***Horrible OS***Pl Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have been given a Nokia E-72 by my office for office use and ever since I got it, it has been a nightmare. The OS is horrible to say the least. It hangs at all levels and functions completely unpredictably.

I see an incoming call, I press the accept button and yet the screen shows it as incoming. I can talk to the person as well.

I try a conference call. I try to add a new number. The phone hangs.

I try to read an sms. It hangs.

I try to reply to an sms. It hangs.

I restart it atleast 3 times a day due to these issues and yet it keeps doing it. I have no movies, games, songs etc and hardly go online as well.

Help eagerly looked forward to, from all quarters.
There might be some bug which is causing all the disturbance in your E72.
Did you upgrade your firmware if not please update your firmware to latest. You can also Hard format your cell by using *#7370# Password 12345 (which is by default)

Please take back of your existing data before Updating/ Formatting by using Nokia Pc suite.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 9th April 2011 at 16:21.
Old 9th April 2011, 17:55   #7950
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nokia E-72 ***Horrible OS***Pl Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have been given a Nokia E-72 by my office for office use and ever since I got it, it has been a nightmare. The OS is horrible to say the least. It hangs at all levels and functions completely unpredictably...
Here's you go about Nokia S60 phones:
Stage 1:

Remove the memory card, see if the problem persists. If there's no problem now, then change the memory card and keep using. Else go to next stage.

Stage 2:

Turn off the phone, take out the battery, SIM, memory card. Leave it like that for 10-15 minutes. Then put everything back in, and see if it's sorted out. If it isn't, proceed to the next level

Stage 3:

At the stand-by screen, type *#7780#, and then enter the phone unlock code - 12345 is the default - this will restore factory settings. No data will be lost. Just that your phone's settings will be factory default. All contacts, SMS, e-mails, profiles etc will remain, but selected settings will be the default ones. If this doesn't sort out your problem, then proceed to the next step

(From this level onwards, it's a good idea to backup the contents of the phone memory using Nokia PC Suite, BEFORE going further)

Stage 4:

Soft reset: At the stand-by screen, type *#7370# - this will wipe out all contents in the phone memory and your phone would be like brand new.

Stage 5:

Hard reset: Turn off the phone. Press and hold down the Call button, "3" and "*" keys simultaneously. Without releasing them, power on the phone. Release the three buttons only when you see the Nokia logo on the screen.
This has the same effect as the Soft reset, but sometimes this has to be done in order to reset the device fully.

Stage 6:

Check for updated firmware versions - At the stand-by screen, type *#0000#. This will bring up the firmware version of the phone, and then go to Options -> Check for updates. If your phone has FOTA (Firmware update Over The Air), it'll check and download the updated firmware. Not sure if E72 has it. If it doesn't have, then connect it to the PC and use the Nokia Software Updater (latest version) to download and install the latest firmware. Take care that the phone doesn't switch off until the process is over. Follow the prompts on the screen closely. Make sure you have a full battery, a charger handy and the net connection is stable.

Stage 4 through 6 can be changed in their order. Nothing of these works, then take it to a Nokia A.S.S. Don't have high hopes on it. A better option would be to use another handset.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks