Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 18:14   #7921
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Anyone here with a Blackberry Storm 2?

Wanna know how the Blackberry Maps works? The manual says it is there. I can even find the Settings for it. But can't find the application per se. Also, are Indian maps loaded on to it?
BB Maps are useless in India, there are no maps just blank tiles in India. I use Google Maps for out of city routing and Waze for city navigation. The unlimited data plan means no extra charge for data consumed by GMaps/Waze.

For support related to BB, we have a separate thread, just search.

PS: have you already purchased Storm 2?
Old 26th March 2011, 18:31   #7922
Team-BHP Support

We'd been to Hampi recently and found the necessity for a GPS at a place. Mum has a HTC HD7 but that has just Maps, no route navigation. The funny thing about that is, no additional software can be installed because all sync activities happen thru' Zune and Microsoft Marketplace is not available for India yet so it throws up an error. Anyone know a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
BB Maps are useless in India, there are no maps just blank tiles in India. I use Google Maps for out of city routing and Waze for city navigation. The unlimited data plan means no extra charge for data consumed by GMaps/Waze.

For support related to BB, we have a separate thread, just search.

PS: have you already purchased Storm 2?
Well, no. Bought it for dad a few days after it was launched, sometime in March '10.

So, I'd have to install some Maps/GPS software and then use it thru' the internet.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:09   #7923
BHPian

Has anyone bought the Samsung Wave 575 ? I'm planning it to buy it for my wife. Are there any better VFM phones at this range ? How is the performance? I wanted to buy the Wave 525, but the Wave 575 has 3G , so i'm preferring this one.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:35   #7924
BHPian

Can somebody tell me VFM duel sim phone? I saw many bu most of them were china / unheard brand. I want to transfer 300+ contacts on this phone. Any help is definitely appreciated..
Old 31st March 2011, 14:32   #7925
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I am looking for new mobile for my wife and primarily needs a Good camera >5MP with flash and all and no touch screen.
Nokia X3 is there but there's no flash.
All other mobiles with 5 or greater mp camera are touch only
Please suggest some good mobile of any brand.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:50   #7926
BHPian

Can anybody recommend a good CDMA handset to be used with Reliance connection?
Old 31st March 2011, 15:01   #7927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
... primarily needs a Good camera >5MP with flash and all and no touch screen
If you are ok with going second hand, try for a Nokia N95 8GB, N82 or N85. Not so easy, but they are really good phones with a great 5MP shooter. Especially N82. If you are lucky, some retailers might have a piece or two with them left unsold.

These days, the design philosophy is to have a touch screen, or touch+QWERTY with all good camera phones.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:56   #7928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Has anyone bought the Samsung Wave 575 ? I'm planning it to buy it for my wife. Are there any better VFM phones at this range ? How is the performance? I wanted to buy the Wave 525, but the Wave 575 has 3G , so i'm preferring this one.
What is your budget and what features are you looking for ? I would suggest that you check out Android phones like Samsung Galaxy Mini, Galaxy 551, LG Optimus One and HTC Wildfire. Nokia C5-03 is also VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Can somebody tell me VFM duel sim phone? I saw many bu most of them were china / unheard brand. I want to transfer 300+ contacts on this phone. Any help is definitely appreciated..
Samsung has some dual SIM phones. Check out Samsung website. Aamir Khan used to feature in a dual SIM advertisement, it was Samsung Guru Dual SIM phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I am looking for new mobile for my wife and primarily needs a Good camera >5MP with flash and all and no touch screen.
Please suggest some good mobile of any brand.
Check out Sony Ericsson Cybershot series.

Rohan
Old 31st March 2011, 16:48   #7929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What is your budget and what features are you looking for ? I would suggest that you check out Android phones like Samsung Galaxy Mini, Galaxy 551, LG Optimus One and HTC Wildfire. Nokia C5-03 is also VFM.
Thanks for the reply. My initial budget was 7500/- and had selected the Wave 525. The Wave 575 is the same phone but with 3G and is available for 8600/- on Flipkart. I would need to increase my budget a bit more to afford the Galaxy or the Optimus phones or even Nokia C5-03.
I really liked the Nokia C5-03 and would have increased my budget further to buy it, but the screen is resistive and the phone is a bit bulky for my likes. So I'm left with the Wave 575 which has a capacitive screen, has decent looks and runs on Bada. My only concern is that the processor speed and RAM are not mentioned anywhere.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:14   #7930
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My initial budget was 7500/- and had selected the Wave 525. The Wave 575 is the same phone but with 3G and is available for 8600/- on Flipkart. I would need to increase my budget a bit more to afford the Galaxy or the Optimus phones or even Nokia C5-03.
I really liked the Nokia C5-03 and would have increased my budget further to buy it, but the screen is resistive and the phone is a bit bulky for my likes. So I'm left with the Wave 575 which has a capacitive screen, has decent looks and runs on Bada. My only concern is that the processor speed and RAM are not mentioned anywhere.
I am using samsung wave 723 which has 3G, 5 mega pixel Auto focus, led flash and metal body over 525, apart from this the processor and RAM are same in both the cells. Have been using it just over two months. No issues with the cell. No hanging or lag either while multitasking and much faster than another cell E71. And really a great 5 mega pixel camera.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:20   #7931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wave 575 is a good model, but it runs on Bada OS. Availability of apps would be less compared to Android phones.

Galaxy Mini/Galaxy Pop (running on Android OS) is available for <9K. Do consider.

Don't worry about the processor and memory specifications. Check out the phone at a store and navigate through the menu to make sure that the UI does not lag. Bada is a relatively lightweight OS (compared to Android), hence Wave UI is quite snappy.

C5-03 should also be in a similar price range, don't go by the prices mentioned on the Nokia website. Compare the prices in a nearby store (Nokia Priority dealer prices are slightly higher compared to other stores). Also, Nokia is offering free 3 month EMI scheme for purchase of phones above 7K (IIRC).

I would go for C5-03 in this price range. It provides more features, screen resolution, call clarity, music sound quality and battery backup compared to the others in this price range. Resistive/capacitive is a personal choice. I am one of the few people who actually prefer resistive over capacitive.

In the world of mobile phones, Nokia is like Maruti. You jusy can't go wrong with a Nokia.

Rohan
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:12   #7932
BHPian

Quote:
Wave 575 is a good model, but it runs on Bada OS. Availability of apps would be less compared to Android phones.

C5-03 should also be in a similar price range, don't go by the prices mentioned on the Nokia website. Compare the prices in a nearby store (Nokia Priority dealer prices are slightly higher compared to other stores). Also, Nokia is offering free 3 month EMI scheme for purchase of phones above 7K (IIRC).
Thanks. I ordered the Wave 575 from Flipkart and it is already on it's way. The phone is for my wife, so apps are not a big concern. We already have an Ipod touch for the apps.
Regarding the C5-03, the price on Flipkart was around 1000 more than the Wave. But the biggest killer was the resistive screen. Not only does it mean that the screen is not very responsive, it also means no multi touch which is a necessity in today's touch phones. Besides, Symbian is not really suited for touch phones yet.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:23   #7933
BHPian

Ok got the Wave 575 delivered just now. I think this might be OT, but i needed to say something about the Flipkart customer service.

I was checking the status of my order online and was surprised when suddenly the status changed to "Delivered", although I hadn't received it yet. So i called up their customer service and came to know that the item was delivered to a security guard.
Checked with the security guard in my building as well as all the buildings in the area and there was no guard with the name written and no one had received any courier for me. So I called them up and they escalated the matter. Within 15 min, I received a call from the delivery guy.
Turns out, the guy had delivered it to a different apartment with a similar name. Asked the guy to come to my office and took delivery personally. In a country where Customer Service is almost non-existent, Flipkart Customer Service rocks .
Old 6th April 2011, 13:50   #7934
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy a 8/16 GB microSD card for my wife's Nokia 5230.

Do microSD cards come in different speed grades ? Which is recommended ?

Also, please mention approximate prices.

Rohan
Old 6th April 2011, 14:15   #7935
BHPian

Quote:
Do microSD cards come in different speed grades ? Which is recommended ?

Also, please mention approximate prices.

Rohan
Yes they do. You get microSD cards in class 2, 4, 6, 10. Class number is approximate write speed of the card. I couldn't find a single class 10 card in Bangalore anywhere. Finally I bought a 8gb class 6 card for 1200/- from Ahmedabad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks